DSS Choker

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Philos
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Philos » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:09 am

When Ritsuko is setting the DSS Choker's activator, it looks like there are more than one choker is being active. Do you think they have installed it to Asuka too? Because she is obviously an half-angel, I don't think if Misato know this she will let Asuka pilot Eva without any safety warranty.

SPOILER: Show

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 am

IIRC, the display doesn't say that there's a bunch of other chokers, but that the individual "systems" on Shinji's choker was set to "ACTIVE". You can see that after the biometric verification, it runs through a bunch of its systems before it finally says "ACTIVE" by itself.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:IIRC, the display doesn't say that there's a bunch of other chokers, but that the individual "systems" on Shinji's choker was set to "ACTIVE". You can see that after the biometric verification, it runs through a bunch of its systems before it finally says "ACTIVE" by itself.

Possibly that refers to the different mechanisms installed in the colllar (such as the one that detects Kaworu's Pattern Blue). Or it could be that each of the little lozenge-shaped things that orbits Kaworu's neck when the collar activates is a micro-explosve, and each of the "systems" is one of those micro-explosives.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:53 am

has it been confirmed anywhere to be explosives ? it looked to me like at field / or anti at field bullets converging into a single spot, like a high energy particle acelerator, the explosion would be the result of the energy released.
ANATA BAKA !?

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:06 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Perhaps we should just refer to the forum quote i took as my sig in these times.

In the end I always do that with Kaworu.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:25 pm

View Original Postzpoop wrote:
Eh, I guess my only real beef with it now is that Anno didn't force Shinji to squash Kaworu himself, which was oh so much more disturbing. For Shinji at least.

I think the Q version is much worse since

a) in episode 24, Shinji could at least tell himself that he did it for humanity. In Q, he nearly doomed both... The entire potential-enemy-situation is removed.
The "He was better than me" aspect, by contrast, is still very much there - One of them had to end himself to stop the impact and Kaworu was altimately the more heroic one of the two.

...Did you listen to that very evil bonus track in the OST? Very nice piece of Paratext there...

b) Kaworu's sacrifice actually accomplished something in episode 24. Here, the vortex doesn't disapear, and the situation is resolved by... Mari simply yanking out the plug. That would've been enough.
So Kaworu died completely senselessly, because Shinji made the wrong call.
He will still blame himself just as much, if not more.

c) They were gonna do that to him. That isn't to be underestimated - he now knows that Misato & co were gonna dispose of him in that rather brutal fashion... I'm not talking about whether they were justified or not, I'm talking about what knowing that must do to Shinji.

When we see him in the plug, curled up more or less in a way that he'd be right next to Kaworu's corpse if the interface were still active, you get the feeling that he resolved to die there, figuratively, next to Kaworu...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:36 pm

I disagree, in episode 24 Shinji had to choice between himself/humanity and Kaworu, it was his own choice; in Q Kaworu removed both the choice and the responsibility from Shinji, Kaworu died by his own volition because of what (taking the DSS choker) he did with his own hands. Also Shinji ended up feeling betrayed by Kaworu in NGE, in NME Kaworu tried to comfort and guide Shinji until the very end in a much more convincing way (Kaworu made no sense from Shinji's point of view in NGE, "kill me and survive" looked like an absurd request), it doesn't look like it worked immediately but I guess that it would make sense for Shinji to look back at what Kaworu said and try to learn something from it.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:00 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:in Q Kaworu removed both the choice and the responsibility from Shinji, Kaworu died by his own volition because of what (taking the DSS choker) he did with his own hands.

But even then he only died because Shinji ignored him and pulled the spears; remember, the choker was not designed to kill angels (which some people have been implying - that it detected Kaworu as an angel), but to stop awakening, and the awakening was Shinji's fault (this time, unlike in 2.0, it really was and he knows it).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:35 pm

It was indirectly his fault but it wasn't his choice, Shinji ignored Kaworu but he didn't know that he was going to kill him in this way, or better he didn't think about this possibility. Again, Kaworu directly made the choice between himself and Shinji when he took the choker, rather than the other way around like in NGE.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:02 pm

True.

Actually, it also occurs to me that the causality is unclear. Awakened Unit-13 causes impact (and also sets off the collar, killing Kaworu - in spite of his being an angel who can do anything, but we'll let that pass). But what has pulling the wrong spears out of Lilith got to do with the awakening? Is it just that the failure to put the world right instantly (what did he expect to happen?) upset him so quickly that he immediately got emotional and set it off? Or did the awakening happen simply because Shinji was in Unit-13, the timing was coincidence, and the fact the the spears were wrong was just a red herring, with no more effect than that removing them didn't work?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm not sure we have all the information we need to figure that out yet. For one thing, how does having both Unit-01 and Unit-13 in an awakened state work out for Gendo's plan? I would assume Shinji being key to awakening Unit-01 is because he's Yui's son. But that can't be the case for Unit-13. So is there something else about Shinji that makes him key to Eva's awakening? Or is it something that could potentally happen with any of the pilots? Was Shinji needed for Unit-13 because of some unique property, or was it just because he was the only pilot Gendo would be able to manipulate into doing what he wanted? Just what was the spears supposed to do, and how was it supposed to do it?
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Shinji is a angel, the third adam, the one with balls around the core.
ANATA BAKA !?

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:27 am

I think that the DSS Choker can be activated by remote or does so automatically when deification is initiated.

The Remote function seems to have a range limit, otherwise why wouldn't someone with more balls on the Wunder blow up Shinji while he was at Nerv?

The Automated function however can be seen when the Wunder suddenly picks up the Blue Blood signal and from that point on the collar starts glowing under Kaworu's plug suit before the crystal thingies orbit and his head goes pop.

The delay is a bit long, but when you consider the time it takes to initiate any decent sized impact and the possibility that to kill Eva Jesus Kaworu the collar maybe needed more buildup than it would to kill whiny Shinji, it seems that this whole thing would have gone off much quicker, especially since it seems the Dual Plug system is a countermeasure to the DSS, requiring only one pilot to remain active after ascension.
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:50 am

I'm kind of on the fence about the collar having a range limit; after all it seems Misato was wavering about triggering it but then gave up after the Mark.09 and Shinji had escaped, possibly having surpassed the collar's range limit. But then there is a sizeable delay between the collar detecting Kaworu's Code Blue which leads me to believe someone somewhere pressed a button. Or it could just be that the collar has a countdown time after being activated, like a timed bomb.

@bladerj: Shinji is not an Adam, since he is not a giant Eva-sized godlike being, nor is he a red-eyed Space Jesus like Kaworu. He's fairly wimpy to be honest.

And I'm nothing like you

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:10 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I'm kind of on the fence about the collar having a range limit; after all it seems Misato was wavering about triggering it but then gave up after the Mark.09 and Shinji had escaped, possibly having surpassed the collar's range limit.

The device that Misato was holding said that the choker was out of range, you just can't see it on the camrip (it's near the thing's base).

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:41 am

It also beeped to indicate it was out of range (or the status change, at least); Misato responded by relaxing and giving her next orders.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:14 am

According to the translation, Ritsuko is the one who calls off the metaphorical hounds:
00:32:27 {Ritsuko} Misato! Use the DSS Choker!
0032:44 {Ritsuko} Mission directive from Executive Officer.
00:32:46 {Ritsuko} Pursuit unnecessary.
00:32:47 {Ritsuko} All personnel, resume emergency damage control and camouflage operations.

And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 am

So it is; but you see the change in Misato.

Mt Olympus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mt Olympus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 am

I believe the reason Mari calls Shinji puppy boy is because of this collar. I also think the reason for it is ignorance. The ultimate sin. Which is a major theme in this movie.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”