[Literature] Currently Reading (discussion)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:09 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:and the total lack of cultural context for it made it incomprehensible.

That is not surprising at all. :lol:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:42 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:It astounds me that they go out of their way to choose the least interesting books they possibly can. Gems like "Nervous Conditions" pop to mind.

Well, if anything, your teacher is certainly experimenting by choosing African post-colonial literature. I guess what he/she is trying to do it is to expand your perspective by exposing you to various sorts of English-language literature. I don't think I would have appreciated a novel like that before the university course on contemporary/post-colonial literature I took this year. From what I have heard, Nervous Conditions should be damn interesting for analysis, but I doubt many high school students will find it a fun reading experience.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:23 pm

View Original PostDr. Talos wrote:I'm now working my way through Light in August by Faulkner. It's a more accessible work of his though his use of steam of consciousness is very much present. Both the style and the fascinating character of Christmas make for a quite compelling read.

I'm actually working my way through Faulkner's short stories right now, which are pretty rad. Light in August was the second Faulkner novel I read(after As I Lay Dying) and it made me realize that Faulkner is my favorite writer, hands down. No one else even comes close to him in my mind.

I a lot of people like to say that Light in August is one of his four great works, along with The Sound and the Fury, Absalom, Absalom! and As I Lay Dying. If you like Light in August I highly recommend The Sound and the Fury and Absalom, Absalom!. People like to say they're complicated and all that, but if you don't have trouble with Light in August you shouldn't have trouble with his other works either; you just have to concentrate on the work and keep an open mind. I think the thing is that lazy readers without a lot of reading comprehension have needlessly complicated Faulkner, just like how a lot of haters say Eva is too confusing or leaves too many unanswered questions.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:21 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:If you like Light in August I highly recommend The Sound and the Fury and Absalom, Absalom!. People like to say they're complicated and all that, but if you don't have trouble with Light in August you shouldn't have trouble with his other works either; you just have to concentrate on the work and keep an open mind. I think the thing is that lazy readers without a lot of reading comprehension have needlessly complicated Faulkner, just like how a lot of haters say Eva is too confusing or leaves too many unanswered questions.

I think I'll probably read The Sound and the Fury next. I'm enjoying Light in August and I like a good challenge in my literature so Sound and Fury sounds like a good bet. I only started reading Light in August when i happened across a battered copy in the back of my bookshelf. Glad I did as I've really been missing out by not reading Faulkner till now. His prose is so rich and layered and his use of such complex language to capture the nature of the chaotic stream of consciousness is sublime.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 am

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I've been going through a collection of Steinbeck's short novels, have read The Red Pony, Cannery Row, and Tortilla Flat. Liked the first two very much but Tortilla Flat was great, the Paisanos were all such interesting characters.
I finished this a few days ago and, unknowingly following the trends of this thread, picked up Absolom, Absolom! at the behest of a friend. It's my first experience with Faulkner so I'm taking it slow, but as a purveyor of southern butthurt I'm enjoying it quite a lot. I know it doesn't employ stream of consciousness like his other novels but I like the style.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:10 am

Gravity's Rainbow: take three.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Has anyone here read Confessions of a Mask?

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:00 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Has anyone here read Confessions of a Mask?

I started it, but I found it to be a little dry so I didn't finish it, but I'm still hoping to pick it up again. I got it in a three novel collection along with The Temple of the Golden Pavilion and The Sailor who Fell From Grace..., so I switched over to reading Golden Pavilion, which I actually really enjoyed, although it too has its dry parts. I wasn't crazy about the characters or story, but the ideas Mishima brought up in it were pretty interesting and rewarding to read about.

Sorry I responded to your post without having fully completed Confessions of a Mask ... -o-;
Last edited by Joy Evangelion on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:53 pm

I recently read The Epic of Gilgamesh; I read it pretty quickly, so I'm sure there are things I missed, but I marked key sections for rereading later.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Gilgamesh is awesome.

Currently reading Agamemnon.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:18 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:I started it, but I found it to be a little dry so I didn't finish it, but I'm still hoping to pick it up again. I got it in a three novel collection along with The Temple of the Golden Pavilion and The Sailor who Fell From Grace..., so I switched over to reading Golden Pavilion, which I actually really enjoyed, although it too has its dry parts. I wasn't crazy about the characters or story, but the ideas Mishima brought up in it were pretty interesting and rewarding to read about.

Sorry I responded to your post without having fully completed Confessions of a Mask ... -o-;[/i]
Nah that's good to hear, I've thought about picking up Temple of the golden Pavilion too but figured I'd start with his earliest translated work.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 am

Betrayer by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I do so love W40k fluff and fiction, especially the Horus Heresy series and this is one of my favorites so far. Nothing better than reading about the World Eaters legion descent into Chaos.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:04 am

Been reading a fair bit of Angela Carter recently. Started re-reading The Bloody Chamber and I'm halfway through Wise Children as well.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo. Really liking it so far.

Watership Down is next on my list.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 am

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Betrayer by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I do so love W40k fluff and fiction, especially the Horus Heresy series and this is one of my favorites so far. Nothing better than reading about the World Eaters legion descent into Chaos.

Only really good 40K stuff IMO is Abnett.
Come to think of it; I still need to read the final part in the Eisenhorn Trilogy.

Started It by Stephen King a couple weeks ago. So good.
King is a master of his craft for sure.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:31 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Only really good 40K stuff IMO is Abnett.

Second. I enjoyed his Eisenhorn trilogy so much I bought the sequel and his Gaunt's ghosts books, he improves as he goes along.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:31 am

Dembski-Bowden is easily on Abnett's level. The difference between him and, say, Graham McNeill is jarring.

McNeill has been improving, though, and what he lacks in narrative or prose he almost makes up for in the sheer insanity of some of the shit he comes up with.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Finished Absalom, Absalom! yesterday. Holy hell, I feel like I've aged 40 years. What a draining and complicated tragedy. Definitely going to reread it soon; I got used to Faulkner's style after a chapter or so but there were still plenty of sections and extended metaphors that I didn't completely grasp.

I'm reading Confessions of a Mask now, when I'm done with that I'll read The Sound and the Fury since I've heard that deals with the Compson family.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:36 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Dembski-Bowden is easily on Abnett's level.

So much THIS! His Night Lords trilogy is some of the best sci-fi material I have ever read.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:35 pm

I love those books so much. He made a berserker sympathetic. That's a feat.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”