[Literature] Currently Reading (discussion)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Speaking of sci-fi novels, is Dune good? I'll probably pick it up at some point, although I'm not wild on the sequel novels. I also need to find some time to go get The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, too.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:04 pm

It has space Muhammed so obviously only proper way to treat it is as filthy Islamic propaganda

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:16 pm

That's being way too harsh, Xard.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:It has space Muhammed so obviously only proper way to treat it is as filthy Islamic propaganda
:heart:
senpai...
but really I mean it's closer to space Genghis Khan or space Cyrus of Anshan.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:41 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Speaking of sci-fi novels, is Dune good? I'll probably pick it up at some point, although I'm not wild on the sequel novels. I also need to find some time to go get The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, too.
If you're going to read sci-fi it might as well be Dune. I haven't read it in a while but I love it.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:33 am

Finished A Game of Thrones a month ago, so it's onto A Clash of Kings now.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:45 am

Finally wrapped this up today - An amazing read for sure.
Ending is beautifully poignant and bittersweet; definitely a couple teary moments there.

SPOILER: Show
When Beverly sees Stan and Eddie in the group reflection in the glass - Almost lost it. Then the epilogue with Bill too, his memory already fading more and more and using his last bit of "childhood" to help Audra.

;_;

Will be promptly moving onto The Hobbit now, as I want to get around to finally reading The Lord of the Rings this year, including The Silmarillion as well.

Looking at my bookshelf; have more King (The Shining and the first three books in The Dark Tower series) and Murakami (After Dark and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle) I can sink my teeth into between any ventures into Middle-Earth.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:04 am

View Original PostXard wrote:It has space Muhammed so obviously only proper way to treat it is as filthy Islamic propaganda
Back in the '60s, that was simply quaint Orientalism; and the main talking point was that it was the first SF which had ecology as the science in focus. It's the times that have changed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:09 am

Now that a little time has passed I feel I can talk about The Sea of Fertility a little. The last few pages of the 4th book sort of uproots everything that preceded it in a really bleak and horrifying way that I never expected. The fact that Mishima apparently finished this the morning before he went out and committed seppuku makes it even worse. His work is all very personal but I feel these books in particular are bound up in his frustration and rejection of modern (as he knew it) Japan.

This brand of cosmic nihilism (we have no one and maybe we don't even have ourselves) left me in a daze for a while but I've recovered to the point where I can say that I really loved these books. Mishima was a complicated guy who is inextricably connected to his writing, so reading this series was worth it if only to understand a little bit more about him.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:19 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Will be promptly moving onto The Hobbit now, as I want to get around to finally reading The Lord of the Rings this year, including The Silmarillion as well.

I've had The Simarillion and all the other LoTR books for ages, but never got round to reading them...I need to get round to that as well. On a side note, I'm halfway through The Wind-up Bird Chronicle as well, but I started Sputnik Sweetheart as well and so I haven't finished it yet.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Currently reading Starship Troopers and I am up to chapter 8. While I enjoy the training flashbacks as much as the next person, it gets kind of boring and I want to just get to the part where the asteroid destroys Buenos Aires.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Dune is one of the few scifi books that isn't the author masturbating over science bullshit for a thousand pages. Everyone should have it tattooed on their eyelids.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:50 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:the author masturbating over science bullshit for a thousand pages.
Then read other authors than Greg Egan (who is the only one I can think of who actually does that sort of thing). I could make recommendations if you're interested.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:48 pm

I'm 100 pages into Rendevous with Rama and I'm enjoying it. I don't know if it's intentional on Clarke's part or not, but I got a bit a Jules Verne vibe in the story. Liking Verne's books, this isn't a problem.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:28 am

Currently splitting time between The Divine Comedy and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

...what? I read other things besides Evafics. There's more to life than fics, you know...but not much more.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:20 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:The Divine Comedy

Reading this right now. I love it. Too bad I can't read Italian (not to speak of medieval...)

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:38 pm

The best part of Inferno is when Virgil-kun decides to be his guide.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:43 pm

Reading the Dorothy Sayers translation (the old Penguin edition) always leaves me thinking in terza rima for a while after.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:02 pm

Sandow Birk's illustrated one is pretty neat, but the attempts to modernize it with random cultural references mixed in with lists of medieval Italian politicians suffering in hell is pretty stupid.

Now yous guys have me thinking about blowing my Christmas money on a copy of Wayne Barlow's Inferno.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:12 am

I've been rereading The Iliad, experiencing those battlefield feels all over again. I'm no fan of the Achaeans but Diomedes really wrecked shit.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”