Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu May 05, 2016 6:08 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Frank Miller draws ugly shit because living in New York City (culminating in a very close view of 9/11) melted his brain

...but he was drawing like that long before 9/11.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu May 05, 2016 6:01 pm

The classified new character that Valiant have been teasing spinning out of 4001 AD has finally been revealed; War Mother:

Mother War  SPOILER: Show

io9 wrote:Unlike Valiant’s other heroes, War Mother’s home is in the future of the fifth millennium, where much of Earth is an apocalyptic wasteland under the watchful gaze of New Japan, a highly advanced and powerful civilization floating around in orbit. But while War Mother protects what’s left of the settlers in her home on Earth, bleak events aboard the station of New Japan send her on a new mission, with a wild new ally in the form of a living sniper rifle, to salvage what’s crashing down to Earth in the crossfire.

Ana’s sniper rifle is nicknamed Flaco, and he is fully sentient—but he’s literally born as her mission starts. She has to guide him a lot of ways even as he’s running mission intel for her, and sighting her targets, and all that good stuff. He has the mind of a child, really, at least in the beginning—a really, really lethal child!—and much of the maternal aspect of the War Mother title is her having to “raise” this sentient weapon, even as she’s raising her own, human kid. Fittingly, the title of the one-shot is “A Girl and Her Gun”.

Sounds awesome! The design reminds me of Quiet from MGSV and, as mentioned in the Bleeding Cool article, mixed in with Rogue Trooper from 2001 AD. Seeing that FVL is writing and it's set in my favourite Valiant setting; this can't go wrong.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 05, 2016 6:39 pm

I don't get a Quiet vibe from her, but that's probably because she's dressed! :tongue: But seriously, that does sound like a really cool title. I might have to check that out.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu May 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Some weird combination of Alita and Furiosa?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu May 05, 2016 11:44 pm

I don't get Quiet vibes from her either, but I do get a lot of Fallout New Vegas/Mad Max vibes.
[Redacted]

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri May 06, 2016 6:38 am

Quiet, insofar as stoic woman with a massive sniper rifle; the Mad Max/Furiosa suggestions are more accurate I reckon. I'm actually quite taken back by this announcement as I had it pegged the new character coming out of this event was going to be the Turok analogue, which I speculate is going to be something along the lines of "Savage, Dragon Hunter". See this article and you'll catch my drift.

Savage will probably still be a new female character, but instead of the future setting with Rai et al, maybe it will spin out of this 'Stalinverse' thing in Divinty II, as a reality-and-time displaced dragon hunter would be pretty gnarly for the main/modern day setting, even by Valiant standards. Also, not sure what to make of the coat-of-arms type shield other than maybe anachronistic Prehistoric Britain or Europe as opposed to American Indian...

#Savage  SPOILER: Show

But then that kind of rubs against the Britannia teaser, too...

#Britannia  SPOILER: Show

Here's the Psi-Lords one for shits and gigs...

#Psi-Lords  SPOILER: Show

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But seriously, that does sound like a really cool title. I might have to check that out.

If you ever read any Valiant comic, Bags, make it Divinity. To be honest, any of the stuff from the Valiant Next initiative is gold. That's where I got hooked.

VALIANT NEXT  SPOILER: Show

Anyway, that's enough of my Valiant hat for the time being. Oh wait, that's Divinity II #1 on my desk waiting to be read...

:mwahaha:
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat May 07, 2016 7:51 pm

DKIII #4: Even thought it's slow coming out, I'm still massively enjoying this one. Really liked this scene; some of that token Miller "tough love" for Superman.

DKIII #4  SPOILER: Show

Only thing that bothers me is the colourist's mistake on the page where Superman succumbs to the black matter: The S-shield is supposed to have black instead of yellow in this continuity, as it's a tribute in memoriam of great loss.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Wow, no idea how they get out of this situation now. I thought this would be the old Justice League teaming up against the Kandorian Cult, but it's just Bruce, Carrie and perhaps Aquaman against hundreds of suicidally power mad Kryptonians.

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing, although keep in mind that Wonder Woman and the Atom are still in-play as well. In fact, going by the last page in #4, I'd say the latter is going to have a crucial part and be something off a deus ex machina almost.
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat May 07, 2016 10:05 pm

^ That seems unnecessarily cruel for a man who dedicated years of his life to the defence of a planet and its people, but then again this is frank miller, he hates everything superman stands for.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon May 09, 2016 8:16 am

Ultimates #6: I love how weird this series is. Sometimes it's a bit too clever and smarmy for its own good (on the nose, perhaps), but it's obviously the most important book in the post-Secret Wars Marvel universe so far. Not important in that it features the big blockbuster or "crucial" events, but in that it's doing all the serious heavy-lifting and on the down-low; world-building and laying out all the rules of the new cosmos. In fact, it's in this very issue Molecule Man flat out states that this universe is the eighth iteration of the omniverse, something they've been alluding to since #1, i.e. Galactus/Galan of Taa's universe was the sixth, Earth-616 stuff/pre-Secret Wars 2015 was the seventh.

Oh, and Galactus gets raw on Master Order.

Galactus punches first.  SPOILER: Show

:rofl:

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:That seems unnecessarily cruel for a man who dedicated years of his life to the defence of a planet and its people...

He's Superman; he can take it.
Warren Peace, #643919

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 09, 2016 11:47 am

It would be meta as fuck if the fourth iteration was actually the Fourth World.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu May 12, 2016 1:57 pm

I can dream Marvel will FINALLY Retcon ONE MORE DAY right?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/ ... sial-story

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu May 12, 2016 2:00 pm

"relationships are gross" is essentially what the spider-man writers think so no, he will never get back with MJ.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu May 12, 2016 6:01 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/is-spider-man-dead-no-more-a-sequel-to-this-controversial-story

Just read adjectiveless Spider-Man (with Miles Morales) or Spider-Gwen instead; both of those are actually good Spider-Man comics.
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 12, 2016 6:29 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:"relationships are gross" is essentially what the spider-man writers think so no, he will never get back with MJ.

Well, yeah. This is what happens when a company buys into the mindset that their audience is and always will be 14-year-old boys rather than adults with taste. Ever notice how none of the characters in the MCU even have SOs? How most don't even have the barest hint of a love life? How the ones who ever did at any point have had it thoroughly wrecked because . . . reasons? Yeah.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu May 12, 2016 6:40 pm

To be fair it's not just marvel that does this, my favourite example of this is when kate and renee went from a asskicking crimefighting couple to........one being a alcoholic in the N52 universe and the other being with someone else, also I think batwoman got raped at one point in her new series I dont know I didn't read it because the former knowledge pissed me the fuck off just heard about that second hand.
(I am aware that Renee slipped into an alcohol based depression in the main series once before but last I checked that was before she became the question and I dont think she was dating Kate at the time whereas the N52 implied they had already broken up)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 12, 2016 8:33 pm

When I was 14 (and younger) I thought it was cool that Spider-Man was married and had an adult relationship. It made him seem more like a role model and more grounded.

I mean the idea is that he's a "loser" and has "Parker luck" etc etc but he's running around with model-quality college age women falling on his dick and Felicia "Tits McGee" Hardy giving him stripper slides in her rubber suit. Parker luck my ass.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 12, 2016 9:01 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:When I was 14 (and younger) I thought it was cool that Spider-Man was married and had an adult relationship. It made him seem more like a role model and more grounded.

That's because you're a man of quality, Chuck. Most 14-year-old males aren't.

I mean the idea is that he's a "loser" and has "Parker luck" etc etc but he's running around with model-quality college age women falling on his dick and Felicia "Tits McGee" Hardy giving him stripper slides in her rubber suit. Parker luck my ass.

Well, yes, everyone knows that anyone with any sense would have given their left nut for Felicia, but that's just stating the obvious over and over. In reality Marvel's MO is to wave Felicia in front of our faces and pretend she'll get to amount to something when they know full well they're just teasing us until their next big thing comes along. She's an unfortunate tool, same as anything else, and "Parker luck" is a crock of shit. But this is news to no one, so.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 12, 2016 9:27 pm

Eh, the original take on Felicia was a pretty good one, IMHO. It was interesting how they made it so she was attracted to the costume and not the man. That's Parker Luck right there. That's how it's supposed to work.

The comic they did a few years ago where she was all like... yeah, I fucked up, he's a great guy should have been the springboard for a bigger story.

If I was EIC at Marvel I wouldn't necessarily mandate Spider-Man marry MJ again within the year. I'd pass down a mandate that they have, say, five years to settle him down with somebody. Felicia or Carol Danvers or somebody else, he hits it off with somebody and they settle down. I like married Spider-Man. I thought becoming a teacher was a great evolution of his character.

Then again if I was EIC I'd do crazy shit like reboot the multiverse and pair Peter up with Sue Storm or something. I know they just rebooted it but you know I'd do it better.

Really what I'd like them to do is a whole self contained line where they roll 616 back to the events before Civil War and just skip that and do all the events and rolling ten years ago time and whatnot in a different universe (why not 617?)
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri May 13, 2016 1:13 pm

Terrible news.

One of my favorite artists, Darwyn Cooke (New Frontier, Before Watchmen, Future Quest, Batman: The Animated Series) has been diagnosed with Cancer.

http://darwyncooke.blogspot.com/2016/05 ... r.html?m=1

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 13, 2016 2:54 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:To be fair it's not just marvel that does this, my favourite example of this is when kate and renee went from a asskicking crimefighting couple to........one being a alcoholic in the N52 universe and the other being with someone else, also I think batwoman got raped at one point in her new series I dont know I didn't read it because the former knowledge pissed me the fuck off just heard about that second hand.

They dropped their relationship before the new 52 for Batwoman Elegy which is universally agreed to be superb.
And the arcs with JH Williams still on are fully great in the new 52.
It's only after he left did it go down hill.

The "rape" was a traditional vampire hypnotic seduction kinda thing that that has existed sense vampires have. And it's a female vampire at that.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”