[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [News] strange happenings of 2015

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:09 pm

It sounds like he bought it without knowing it was stolen (though that takes a fair bit of willful ignorance IMO, since it would be a trivial thing to ask "er, who got it, and from where, and how did it wind up in an auction house?"), so good on him for agreeing to eat the loss and return it to its rightful owners.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:01 pm

Nicholas Cage does not ponder his actions. He simply is.

https://www.boston.com/news/local/2015/ ... story.html

What I don't get about these things is why anything tangentially related to Christianity has to be stripped out (and believe me, a fucking Hello Kitty branded Christmas tree is only tangentially related to Christianity) has to be stripped out of public life.

Aren't kids supposed to learn about culture? Can't it be a teachable moment instead? Maybe randomly assign each kid a winter solstice festival from around the world and have them do a little presentation on them and decorate the classroom for all of them and have a party with different foods from around the world before the holiday vacation starts or something.

We're at the point now where Christmas has about as much to do with Christianity as Halloween does with druids anyway.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:00 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Nicholas Cage does not ponder his actions. He simply is.

https://www.boston.com/news/local/2015/ ... story.html

What I don't get about these things is why anything tangentially related to Christianity has to be stripped out (and believe me, a fucking Hello Kitty branded Christmas tree is only tangentially related to Christianity) has to be stripped out of public life.

Aren't kids supposed to learn about culture? Can't it be a teachable moment instead? Maybe randomly assign each kid a winter solstice festival from around the world and have them do a little presentation on them and decorate the classroom for all of them and have a party with different foods from around the world before the holiday vacation starts or something.

We're at the point now where Christmas has about as much to do with Christianity as Halloween does with druids anyway.

Hey, cool! I was born in Bangor.

Well, the story isn't cool. The story is silly, because Christmas has as much to do with Christianity as Eva does with WWII. But it's still cool to see my birthplace in the news, no matter the reason.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:46 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Hey, cool! I was born in Bangor.

I'm trying to decide if that's better or worse than growing up in Bar Harbor.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:13 pm

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:I'm trying to decide if that's better or worse than growing up in Bar Harbor.

I was born there, but I grew up in San Diego (by way of Italy, Alabama, and Reno). I don't even remember anything about Maine.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:59 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:33 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't even remember anything about Maine.

Don't worry, I'm remembering it for you. :devil:

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Intelligent life in the Ramen-843 Galaxy confirmed! :lol:
[Redacted]

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:10 pm

What mysterious mysteries are mystifying our boys from down under?!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:54 pm

So...eleven confirmed deaths in Dallas so far after we got hit with at least one EF-4 tornado. There was eleven reported touchdowns, and twenty tornadoes across the US confirmed for that evening, so where we fall in that...who knows. I'm hearing 35 deaths from the storms in total, but if certain rumors I hear are correct, that number might get larger.

It's snowing in El Paso right now, and it's dropped from 76 degrees to 43 in a single day here in Dallas (actually, let me amend that: there is a blizzard stretching from New Mexico into central Texas). It's flooding severely in southern England right now.

And 150,000 people in South America are displaced due to severe flooding across 38 cities.

...Merry Christmas!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:06 pm

What is this? A Roland Emmerich movie?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:07 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote: It's flooding severely in southern England right now.

Northern, not southern so much:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35184999

In Oxford, I've only had light rain this week, and none today.

North Yorkshire Police said they had run out of "road closed" signs
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:34 pm

For the record we often (in Asuncion) have damnificados aproximately every year as their houses are set near enought the shore to be affected by the natural increase/decrease of the river's water level, however the fuckhuge amount of storms we're getting as well as alleged opening of Brazil/Argentina's dams (to not be too flooded themselves) has cause this year's increase to rival and likely surpass the 1987's epic storm/flooding. We're getting mid-to-strong rains almost every day and blackouts happen about every week, and the city's less than stellar planning/pluvial system leads to the rain and water levels being far more intrusive than they should be.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:52 am

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:13 pm

Looks like the Daily Telegraph is presenting old news as new news...read about that at least a year ago.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Oh, for Heaven's sake:

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/texas- ... ng-8017247

If you live in the Gulf Coast area of Texas and you happen to be a woman, congratulations! One of your primary sources of HIV and cancer screenings is gone as of December 31st. Way to go, Texas!

And people wonder why we say the right is waging a war on women.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:48 pm

This is supreme bullshit.

God fucking damn it. This is the kind of thing that affects my wife, and it's why we're scrambling to get out of Texas. Which sucks, because it's my home, my heritage state (I have ancestors that came here when it was part of Imperial Mexico), and it's just twisting right into the hands of lunatics. Honest-to-God lunatics.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:52 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Oh, for Heaven's sake:

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/texas- ... ng-8017247

If you live in the Gulf Coast area of Texas and you happen to be a woman, congratulations! One of your primary sources of HIV and cancer screenings is gone as of December 31st. Way to go, Texas!

And people wonder why we say the right is waging a war on women.

Yeah, there's utter hatred for Planned Parenthood.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”