Recent Hauls 3: The quest for more stuff

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Ordered yesterday, came today.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:01 pm

Enjoy volume 5 buddy
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:25 pm

And yes that price tag you can barely make out on Xenoblade Chronicles does say only $49.99. Even used on Amazon isn't that low. I felt like I made out like a frickin' bandit.

Only question now is whether to play it on my Wii or my Wii U. I'm leaning toward the Wii U because my Wii spins discs noisy as fuck for some reason now, but I'm worried that the Wii U's BC might have unforeseen limitations.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:26 pm

:asuka_thumbsup:
Good Haul, Man

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:07 pm

How's the Wii U? I haven't played one.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:18 pm

^The Wii U is a pretty decent console. I adapted to the large controller surprisingly easily, and the graphics on both the controller screen and the TV are great. For me, however, the main incentive was not having to pay for online multiplayer.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:36 pm

Between it and the Wii its only real downside (aside from the downsides common to all consoles) is that it doesn't play GameCube games, which is such a pity because my Wii spins discs so loudly (even the tiny GC ones, but not as loudly) and my GameCube doesn't have non-shit-quality hookups for use with an HDTV. If we're comparing it to other consoles, though, it's not even as good of a buy as the PS3 released years before it. It has tiny, tiny storage space for a 7th gen console let alone the 8th gen console that it is, and I'm talking about the deluxe version with the added space. I would not use it .

You get it for the games, obviously -- and they're Nintendo, so what more is there to say?

Well, a lot, actually.

Nintendo has always been intent on doing its own thing, and sometimes it comes back to bite them. I'm talking about button placement standards in this particular case; Nintendo is the only company which makes you press the right-most face button to do a menu confirm, and the bottom one for cancel, which goes against the standard established by both competitors. It's the Japanese standard and Sony actually does it that way in Japan, setting a different standard for each territory, but they have the benefit of using inherently arbitrary shapes for their face buttons, rather than letters as Nintendo and Microsoft do, so I can understand why they stuck with the scheme because "A" makes more sense as a confirm button than "B". (Of course back in the SNES era most menu-driven games like Chrono Trigger let you actually choose which button to use to confirm or cancel, but apparently control customization is becoming increasingly a thing of the past on consoles.) And yes I know the SNES came first but standards are not about who's first. But this is an issue that almost nobody else seems to care about, and it's not something to knock the system for.

Something much more worth knocking when it comes to the gamepad would be the GamePad itself -- as Nintendo calls it, for reasons that make about as much sense as naming your console Console or your son Human. In every game I've played so far, the screen in the GamePad has been used for nothing worthwhile. Most of the time, it's just a second screen duplicating the action on your TV, and, worse yet, you can't turn it off (you "can", but you'd have to stop using it entirely), which means it drains power while doing nothing for you. This is not minor -- screens are energy hogs, and I can only imagine how much better the battery life would be if I could turn it the fuck off, but apparently Nintendo really really wants me to have something shining at my face that I'm never looking at. Why anyone thought this was a good idea remains beyond me.

The upside is that it's a Nintendo system and that means Nintendo games. And that's all anyone ever really buys these things for, right? On that front, there's nothing to complain about. But you asked my opinion of the system itself, so here it is.

I was a huge fan of the Wii, but there are no mysteries here as to why the Wii U isn't doing so well.

All of that said, the GamePad is not required anyway -- it's just that it's all that the system ships with, so to have any other input options you need to shell out yet more money for something you'd have wished the damn thing had shipped with in the first place. And not small money either -- the Wii U Pro controller I went in there to buy and the Xenoblade Chronicles I bought instead of it cost the same.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Picked up more Dragonball Z dvds:

Battle of Gods
Dead Zone
Tree of Might

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Back from NYCC 2014. Got myself two more Bandai Evangelion Portrait figurines - one of Asuka and one of Rei - as well as a few posters from Artist Alley.
Last edited by riffraff11235 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Very nice. How was the rest of the con? Any good panels?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:06 pm

There weren't that many panels in which I was particularly interested. The few that I did consider attending would probably have required a 1- to 2-hour wait in order to get a decent seat. I did a rough survey of both the main show floor and Artist Alley in the morning, had lunch, then went through both again to make some purchases. Throughout all this I met up with some friends from school. One of them actually entered a custom Gunpla to be judged in a contest (sadly, he didn't place). Other than that, I saw Monty Oum in the flesh and got myself 3D-scanned. You could pay the people at that booth to make a 3D printed figure of yourself (a bunch of cosplayers did this) or you could get the 3D scan files sent to you via e-mail for free. I chose the latter option.

So yeah, since I had only one day at NYCC I didn't really feel like spending a large chunk of it waiting in line.

Also, a funny story about that Asuka figurine: this morning I was going through all the Eva figurines I've bought at conventions (I think I may just try to collect all the Bandai Portraits at this point), I kinda freaked out because one of the Asuka figures I bought open-box at Boston was in exactly the same pose as the one I bought yesterday. After doing some digging I found out that the two figures were from two different series of portraits. The one I just bought was from Series II (no wonder it cost $22 instead of the usual $15) while the other one was from Series VII (much more recent). They have differently colored bases and one Crisis averted.
Last edited by riffraff11235 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Huh! Could we see the scan? Sounds interesting.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Sadly I haven't gotten the e-mail yet. I may decide to upload the picture I took on my phone at some point.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:05 pm

What more needs to be said? :love:

Will post pics when done building.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Just picked up the John Carter of Mars books from Amazon, the first 5 in fact!
I always wanted to read them after seeing the movie a few years back. :D

- Suicidahlia

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:41 am

Lil' Blu-ray haul:

"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:59 am

Godzilla: rated 'M' for Mild.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm just waiting for things at present (the "quest" of the thread title)...

Open pre-orders at Amazon right now:

20 Nov - FMA manga 3-in-1 edition, last volume.
4 Dec - Sadamoto Evangelion manga, last volume.
21 Apr (put back from Dec) - Scott Pilgrim colour hardcover edition, last volume.
2 Feb (they say!...) - Evangelion 3.33 English dub.

Also Sadamoto vol 14 LE preordered from CDJapan.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Took the plunge and got a Macbook Pro 13.3 Retina for school and shit after finding out that comparable laptops (Priorities = Portability and Battery) are almost just as if not even more expensive than the mac version and I already got a powerful desktop so why not

Gotta say, I am actually pretty impressed so far. SSD is pretty darn small but most of the 1TB I used on my desktop is basically used for games and anime and shit which I won't be doing on this machine so yeah, the paltry disk space's no problem. Also got Netflix and Spotify subs so it's all good. And you can't play games on it anyway so yeah whatever. I got Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, Risk of Rain and Super Meat Boy installed but I don't think I'll ever bother to whip these out on the go.

(Apparently Revengeance is compatible with Mac OS X and so is my x360 controller with the mbook but hahahahaha how about no)

Machine itself got okay weight to it. Not too heavy for lugging around, not too light to feel cheap.

Display is pretty, but not *that* much prettier compared to my budget 24 incher on my desk at home from a layman's point of view.

The whole app store apple id crap, the tiny enter button, the command button layouts and the track pad gestures took some getting used to but overall I am pretty satisfied although for me it'll never be able to replace my trusty desktop machine running at 1920x1080.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:43 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:The whole app store apple id crap, the tiny enter button, the command button layouts and the track pad gestures took some getting used to but overall I am pretty satisfied although for me it'll never be able to replace my trusty desktop machine running at 1920x1080.

If you want to install normal Mac Apps (so non-App store ones), you can disable the "App Store"-only setting in System Preferences...

The track pad gestures are quite customisable (I tend to disable those that are annoying).

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”