Ideas for Plausible Near-Future Technology

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Ideas for Plausible Near-Future Technology

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:19 pm

The thread title is pretty self-explanatory. Post ideas for technology that you would like to see created in the near future. Try to keep these limited to plausible ideas. I have a couple I'd like to share to kick things off:

My first is a sort of piezoelectric floor tile that could convert mechanical energy - from a person walking on top of it, for example - into electrical energy that could be used to charge batteries or routed directly into the grid. I'm not sure how efficient current materials are, but if they were used to cover a city sidewalk they could probably generate enough energy to power infrastructure like traffic lights and signs.

I was thinking about the experience that non-Japanese-speakers must've had while watching Q. Then this idea hit me: why not make glasses with some sort of integrated heads-up display that could overlay subtitles on top of the movie's image? The theater could show a little calibration segment before the movie so that each user can position the text wherever he/she wants. With something like this, native viewers aren't bothered by subtitles that they don't need and foreigners can understand what's being said in the movie.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Pretty sure Google's already on that glasses idea. I haven't heard anything about subtitling things, but if it's got a microphone on it, I can't see why they can't integrate a translation service (the glorious Google Translator, anyway).

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:44 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Pretty sure Google's already on that glasses idea. I haven't heard anything about subtitling things, but if it's got a microphone on it, I can't see why they can't integrate a translation service (the glorious Google Translator, anyway).

I don't know how feasible real-time translation would be. I was thinking that the theater could broadcast the subtitles to receivers in the glasses. The subtitles could easily be synced with the picture that way.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:45 pm

All I want is my hologram player, is that too much to ask? I just want to throw holographic hadoukens at holographic M. Bison and watch his holographic lifebar get smaller. Maybe play some holographic monopoly and watch a holographic rendition of a movie or a rock concert. With Tupac as my witness, it can be done.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Virtual Reality.

"Oh look, CJD's talking about VR again. Sigh..."

I want this!?!? Ok?!?!

But seriously though, VR. What form it takes that's gonna be the real question. I think a neural based VR is inevitable, assuming the tech doesn't get cockblocked by regulations or a lobbying group, but I also think that's a bit farther down the line. It requires a much more precise understanding of the brain and neural signals if it's going to work, because it needs to read those signals and convert them into accurate data for your avatar. The stuff we have now with reading brain signals and shit is nowhere near the level necessary. Regardless, this should be the endgame for any VR tech.

Sooner than that, though, I anticipate more work being done towards less traditional methods. If the Occulus Rift is anywhere near as good as John Carmack says it is it's a nice first step. Combine that with some greatly improved Kinect tech and I think we can get to a bit of a cheapo version of the Holodeck soon. I have doubts about this route, though. Unless they find a way to prevent the same problems Kinect has now any "movement" is going to be limited, and it's not exactly VR if to walk it requires you to just lift your knee or something. Plus, it lacks the touchability of people and items in a neural VR system. But then again, like I said, this system isn't the endgame, the endgame is neural. What this system does do is get people comfortable with the ideas, warms up the water. If people enjoy this route it will cause companies to start pushing the boundaries more, and when the true tech does come out consumers will be more warm to it.

But yea, I see both in my lifetime. The second one probably within the next ten years, the first one within thirty tops.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:40 pm

@CJD I just looked up Oculus Rift and saw its list of possible applications. It looks amazing! I wouldn't mind getting lost in some VR Minecraft sometime soon....
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:09 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:@CJD I just looked up Oculus Rift and saw its list of possible applications. It looks amazing! I wouldn't mind getting lost in some VR Minecraft sometime soon....

The most interesting part of the Rift is that John Carmack, who's basically the Wozniak of video games, is the one who stumbled across the guys making it and really got it publicity at E3 with Doom 3 BFG edition. From there they went around to other devs and got their support and funded the whole thing using Kickstarter (made 2.4 million, ten times their goal).

Now, whether it pans out to be as good as people are saying we'll see, but Carmack backing it is enough for me to trust it. The real question is if it is good, how many devs are going to continue to support it? I hope enough of them do. Considering how successful the Kickstarter was I think it proves the market is there.

Edit: Also, I just noticed that at the bottom of that Wikipedia article under related projects

Wikipedia Says wrote:A team from the University of Southern California is working on creating a Holodeck-like virtual reality experience which will utilize four Kinect sensors as well as the Oculus Rift HMD to give the user the impression of being inside of a complete virtual world.[40][41]
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:13 pm

This could definitely see tons of other applications if it turns out as well as they hope. Let's hope they put that extra $2.16 million to good use.

@A.T. Fish Was the Tupac hologram in 3D? Or was it like those Vocaloid shows where the image is projected onto a very thin mesh drape?
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:44 pm

I don't know about those Vocaloid shows but the Tupac thing was an optic illusion involving a projector and mirror, I'm not sure exactly how it was done. AFAIK 3D projections are not a reality yet, unfortunately :(

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Fully functional robot girlfriends (Japan is working on that one).

Gesture recognition as the next thing after touch for computers -- something to give the power and precision of keyboard and mouse without needing to stab fat fingers onto a screen.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:57 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Gesture recognition as the next thing after touch for computers -- something to give the power and precision of keyboard and mouse without needing to stab fat fingers onto a screen.

I think there's work being done on something resembling the famous interface from Minority Report, or at least the first steps towards it. IIRC, they were using the Wii's hardware as a base.
Last edited by riffraff11235 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:17 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Fully functional robot girlfriends (Japan is working on that one).

Japan will truly pave the way to the future.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:19 pm

I just want hoverboards.

Not that shitty one Mattel made.

Get on it scientists.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:36 am

I want electronic haptics. Actually, I just want haptics, period. Haptics are awesome.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:39 am

Honestly, you should really just take something that already exists and add a digital clock to it. I'm thinking home theater audio speakers.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:40 am

Robot friends to chit-chat with and hug at home. :w00: Like in "I, Robot" but without the bad consequences.

I'm currently waiting for a release of NAO for the public.

I'm a proud AIBO owner so far. ^^
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Honestly, you should really just take something that already exists and add a digital clock to it. I'm thinking home theater audio speakers.

Nonono, you just take something that already exists, add a touchscreen and the word "smart" to it.
I'm thinking of a smart coffee mug.

Edit:Hold on a second, that actually does sound pretty handy now that I think of it.
Imagine a coffee mug just notifying you silently about new mails in the inbox and facebook alerts without having your goddamn phone vibrate or make an annoying sound!
Doesn't even have to have a touchscreen, just one of those paper screen thingys taped onto it, but you'll still have to stream that data from somehwhere...

Maybe when this technology gets a little cheaper and more dishwasher friendly. :lol:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:35 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I'm thinking of a smart coffee mug.
Enjoy full roaming capabilities with the new Planet Rock mug, with integrated smart handle. (loosely paraphrased from one of their self-mocking merch store ads)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:20 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Nonono, you just take something that already exists, add a touchscreen and the word "smart" to it.
I'm thinking of a smart coffee mug.

Win.

Imagine a coffee mug just notifying you silently about new mails in the inbox and facebook alerts without having your goddamn phone vibrate or make an annoying sound!

I'd rather it tell me whether or not my tea was at optical drinking temperature or if it needed to cool down so as not to burn my tongue, or if I'd waited too long to drink it and it was disgustingly lukewarm.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:27 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just invented the next big product for 2013: The Smart Mug. Not only does it notify you of email and your social networks, but it also has temperature notifications to tell you when your tea has reached that sweet spot: not too hot, not too cold. Order today! Only 49.95.
They always put something nonsensical underneath these that nobody ever reads. My name is Brian. I write these commercials. The product is crappy, don't buy it. We just took a mug and put a screen and the word "smart" in front of it. I am a corporate whore and I do this for a living. In short, I have no life. Supplies are limited. Call now!

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”