What is the post-3I world like?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Brada1988 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Brada1988 [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:06 am

This is probally a very "noobish" question but in the post-Third impact world what would people eat and where would they get oxygen?

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 03:19 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:06 am

They would eat the lifeforms that returned, and they would breathe the oxygen produced by those who breathe carbon dioxide. Image

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 03:30 GMT

Brada1988 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Brada1988 [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:06 am

Ok but how many animals do you think could return? And the same thing applies to plants? How many could actually return

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 03:33 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:06 am

Brada1988 wrote:Ok but how many animals do you think could return? And the same thing applies to plants? How many could actually return

Plants and animals were not a part of Instrumentality. This evolution is strictly for humans.

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 03:46 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Joeshie wrote:Plants and animals were not a part of Instrumentality. This evolution is strictly for humans.

Actually, Joeshie, they were.

This is classic stuff, too.

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 04:10 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:06 am

Reichu wrote:Actually, Joeshie, they were.

This is classic stuff, too.

How is it possible for animals, especially plants, to determine if they come back or not? Trees don't have a conciousness, so how can they make the choice to come back or remain as a soul?

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 05:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Of course trees have a consciousness! Didn't you listen to anything Treebeard said?

Oh, wait... Nevermind.

The matter is discussed in the second link I gave you. Read, boy, read! And, if you're not satisfied, bump, boy, bump!

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 06:23 GMT

Vicil [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Vicil [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:06 am

Joeshie wrote:How is it possible for animals, especially plants, to determine if they come back or not? Trees don't have a conciousness, so how can they make the choice to come back or remain as a soul?

You must have missed the part when the entire planet turned red. I think it suggests a shift to a new ecosystem.

FAYI The planet turned red BEFORE Rei was scrambled from the inside. See: footage where cross-shaped thingies cover all areas of the globe.

EDIT:Joshie may or may not be right. It's unclear whether or not instrumentality affects plant life and other spiecies, but what is clear is that the Red Earth ceremony changed something relative to the living conditions for the entire world.

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 07:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

He's incorrect. Read the links I posted.

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 07:44 GMT

Vicil [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

EDIT: HOLY CRAP!!! I think I've just clarified the motives behind Instrumentality!

When the key to returning to human form is imagining yourself in your own heart, then it may be possible to come back as just about anything. SEELE is a bunch of whithering old men, right? They're living off machines and barely, too! Instrumentality may allow them to make new, healthy bodies when they chose to come back.

Reichu wrote:He's incorrect. Read the links I posted.
Are you referring to floura/fauna being gooified, or the Red Earth? Cos if you're saying I'm incorrect about the Red Earth, I CHALLENGE YOU!

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 07:47 GMT

Vicil [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Anything that's lying around, I suppose. Unless you believe that the Human Instrumentality Project somehow affected things other than humans (which seems terribly dubious to me), there ought to be plenty of Japanese micro-fauna scuttling about. I don't have very high hopes for the aquatic life, though.

You should have stuck to this argument.

If all living things die, then Shinji won't have any food, and he can't drink LCL, since technically it's also salt water. It would kind of suck to come back to the world only to starve to death.

A dillema? No?

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 20:24 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am

Vicil wrote:EDIT: HOLY CRAP!!! I think I've just clarified the motives behind Instrumentality!

When the key to returning to human form is imagining yourself in your own heart, then it may be possible to come back as just about anything. SEELE is a bunch of whithering old men, right? They're living off machines and barely, too! Instrumentality may allow them to make new, healthy bodies when they chose to come back.

Nope. As cool as that might be, that wouldn't eradicate the "fundamental flaws of human heart". Getting rid of individuality is the only cure to that.

But I admit that the idea of Seele's old farts returning as giant monsters holds enormous potential. Keel, of course, would be (Mecha)Godzilla; judging from his nose, the French guy would be Rodan; don't know about the rest, though...

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 20:29 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am

By "imagining yourself in your own heart", you return to your "original form". (Have to listen to both Rei AND Yui.)

Dr. Nick, now I'm imagining a Daikaijuu brigade of old farts a la "Mecha-Streisand". "MEKKA BARUBARA SUTORAISANDO!!!!" Now, if we just put Shinji and the others into tight spandex and give each of them a robot shaped like an animal, all of which combine to form one mega-robot, Wayne's scenario might be doable. Image

But, hmm... which Children would have which animal? I'm guessing Rei and Kaworu won't be on the sentai team, so we'll have to replace them with Kensuke and Hikari.

Shinji - Blue
Asuka - Red
Toji - Green
Kensuke - Yellow
Hikari - Orange

Sentai kids in robots versus Daikaijuu Old Farts! Which side will prevail?

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 10:21 GMT

Vicil [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Vicil [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am

Dr. Nick wrote:Nope. As cool as that might be, that wouldn't eradicate the "fundamental flaws of human heart". Getting rid of individuality is the only cure to that.
So you support the argument that Asuka creates the injuries she comes back with?

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 16:59 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

What injuries? A cleaved arm cannot do what Asuka's arm does in "I Need You".

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 17:09 GMT

Vicil [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Vicil [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am

well, it clearly did, otherwise she wouldn't have bandages.

EDIT: Besides, EVA is all about the heartache and suffering, so Asuka is definetly nearly crippled

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 17:30 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am

Vicil wrote:So you support the argument that Asuka creates the injuries she comes back with?

Hell no. She ain't missing any fingers and the bandages aren't even bloody.

And how does your question even relate to what I said?

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 18:19 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am

Joeshie wrote:How is it possible for animals, especially plants, to determine if they come back or not? Trees don't have a conciousness, so how can they make the choice to come back or remain as a soul?

See post #42 in Reichu's second link.

Vicil wrote:You must have missed the part when the entire planet turned red. I think it suggests a shift to a new ecosystem.

FAYI The planet turned red BEFORE Rei was scrambled from the inside. See: footage where cross-shaped thingies cover all areas of the globe.

EDIT:Joshie may or may not be right. It's unclear whether or not instrumentality affects plant life and other spiecies, but what is clear is that the Red Earth ceremony changed something relative to the living conditions for the entire world.
Are you referring to floura/fauna being gooified, or the Red Earth? Cos if you're saying I'm incorrect about the Red Earth, I CHALLENGE YOU!

If you are saying that Seele's chanting is what turned the Earth red, you are incorrect. The Earth turns red because it is being covered with LCL as all life loses its physical form.

If all living things die, then Shinji won't have any food, and he can't drink LCL, since technically it's also salt water. It would kind of suck to come back to the world only to starve to death.

Shinji has been back for weeks if not months by the time Asuka appears. (See the rust on Misato's cross.) Therefore he has plainly been eating.

So you support the argument that Asuka creates the injuries she comes back with?

She creates the bandages with which she comes back because she remembers being injured and thinks she needs them. If she brought herself back with the injuries she actually received, she would be dead. (Arm split in two, Lance through the eye and out the back of her head, body then pierced by multiple Lances. Not to mention probably being rent limb from limb..) The fact that her arm can move at all proves it came back as if it had never been split. An arm that undergoes that will never work again.

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 18:34 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

thewayneiac wrote:If you are saying that Seele's chanting is what turned the Earth red, you are incorrect. The Earth turns red because it is being covered with LCL as all life loses its physical form.

Question #1 (which I love to ask): Why is LCL suddenly red?
Question #2: If lower lifeforms come back automatically, more or less, why is the Earth still red before we see Yui in space?

Shinji has been back for weeks if not months by the time Asuka appears. (See the rust on Misato's cross.)

You missed the script when I translated it? The rust is from the nail, not the cross.

She creates the bandages with which she comes back because she remembers being injured and thinks she needs them.

Again, if the injuries had a big enough impact on her, um, ego... to warrant the bandages, why has she not come back with the actual injuries? Or is it an unspoken rule that you'll return with your body perfectly intact no matter what? Image (I guess that would be good news for Toji-kun.)

If she brought herself back with the injuries she actually received, she would be dead. (Arm split in two, Lance through the eye and out the back of her head, body then pierced by multiple Lances. Not to mention probably being rent limb from limb..)

For whatever reason, Asuka never received the full force of the Spear (not Lance, dear, Spear Image ) through the head, otherwise she WOULD have died immediately. (She just gets a bloody eye instead of two huge pierce wounds through her skull. Yeah, that makes a LOT of sense.) Also, for whatever reason, the other insults dealt to her mama apparently didn't impress themselves very much upon Asuka, otherwise she'd be returning in a full-body cast. Image

An arm that undergoes that will never work again.

Indeed, like Shin-seiki's said, the thing would have to be removed altogether. :imagines Asuka biting her own arm off:

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 19:12 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am

I always thought being cut of from Lilith(after she broke into pieces) and the souls being released and mixing in the primordial soup(LCL and the ocean), turned Earth red. Orange, Lilith made LCL is one componet, it seems. Then the souls, then water, I guess.The primordial soup "blood" that came out of the angel's shadow in 16' was red anyway.

BTW, how come LCL has periods indicating an acroym in the manga? L.C.L I just noticed NOW in vol. 9?

Originally posted on: 13-Jun-2005, 19:21 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”