Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Shinji screams while boiling in LCL.

lol
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Shinji screams while boiling in LCL.

lol

Some how I think it's the face expression while boiling in LCL that he makes in the first episode that makes it major LOLz.

:hahaha:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:40 pm

View Original PostHellfire wrote:In EoE, when GNR passed through Maya, the way Maya freaked out. Although I might do something similar if that happened to me...

Maya's just freaking out because she's coming to terms with her own sexuality. Then again, of course, it's because Rei is 'fingering' her. When I finally made that link in my head, I laughed so hard that I cried.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:34 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Some how I think it's the face expression while boiling in LCL that he makes in the first episode that makes it major LOLz.

:hahaha:

I could not help laughing too, actually... The scream is also one of the best parts, especially in the original Japanese.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:05 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:I could not help laughing too, actually... The scream is also one of the best parts, especially in the original Japanese.

If I may:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05_Cut_317
http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05_Cut_320

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:10 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:If I may:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05_Cut_317
http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05_Cut_320

I know that it would be painful. I am sorry.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Shinji's situation is no doubt painful as hell. But the facial expression the artists gave him says "hysterical laughter" rather than "agonizing pain". At least that's the impression it left on me.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:16 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:"hysterical laughter"

Ha!
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:21 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:I know that it would be painful. I am sorry.

Nah, I mean the "SUDDENLY, A BANANA PEEL OUT OF NOWHERE" and "CHILI POWDER IN MY JOCKEY SHORTS" expressions. Not that the scene is too serious to make fun off.

I agree the expressions are better in Rebuild

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:25 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Nah, I mean the "SUDDENLY, A BANANA PEEL OUT OF NOWHERE" and "CHILI POWDER IN MY JOCKEY SHORTS" expressions. Not that the scene is too serious to make fun off.

I agree the expressions are better in Rebuild

And the animators do not ruin the character's faces in NME either...

SPOILER: Show

http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_06_Cut_086
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:I agree the expressions are better in Rebuild

I just took a quick peek at that part of the movie for comparison. The main differences are that Shinji's eyes are wider in the 1.0 scene and the corners of his mouth aren't pulled taught. That'll do it.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:And the animators do not ruin the character's faces in NME either...

SPOILER: Show

http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_06_Cut_086

I dunno, I have time for sympathetic Ritsuko there. But then I have time for Ritsy generally.

But yeah. Misato luv...something on your face...no, left a bit...down a bi-oh that's your *nose*?

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:45 am

I'm more freaked out at Misato's placement of her eyes (way too apart and maybe too close to the edge) to be honest.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 am

I already saw the flamethrower scene on the first page, so I can't count that one. For me the thing that made the previously mentioned Hallelujah chorus funny was that the music actually faded when it wasn't showing Asuka, unlike with music in the rest of the series that stays on until what it accompanies has ended, even when the visuals change. I always laugh when it cuts to NERV and its silent, then to Asuka's cockpit with the music playing in the background. What was that meme that went out of fashion a while ago?

*Faint Choir music playing in the background*

Also, I don't know if this was mentioned, but, the TV ending. It tried so hard to be inspirational that it felt forced. When the applause started I burst out laughing.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 am

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:Also, I don't know if this was mentioned, but, the TV ending. It tried so hard to be inspirational that it felt forced. When the applause started I burst out laughing.

Ah yes, so this is why most series don't try to be honest anymore.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Ah yes, so this is why most series don't try to be honest anymore.

I'm sorry if I seem to be mocking the message or anything, I just think that the "congratulations" from the whole cast is hilarious and out of place. I mean, what, were they watching Shinji talk to himself and expecting him to perfectly come to that conclusion? Usually you congratulate someone when they accomplish a goal. Shinji din't accomplish anything in the literal sense, he came to a philosophical conclusion that is unique to him.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 am

Alternatively, he rejected instrumentality last, and they were congratulating him on finally getting out. That's my interpretation.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:01 am

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:I'm sorry if I seem to be mocking the message or anything, I just think that the "congratulations" from the whole cast is hilarious and out of place. I mean, what, were they watching Shinji talk to himself and expecting him to perfectly come to that conclusion? Usually you congratulate someone when they accomplish a goal. Shinji din't accomplish anything in the literal sense, he came to a philosophical conclusion that is unique to him.

I fail to see how that realization isn't an achievement.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Rei screaming in the Japanese version during the Iruel battle was hilarious.

It was like a lower pitched Tawny Owl.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:I fail to see how that realization isn't an achievement.

Let me rephrase that, I thought of the wrong reason. It's funny because the congratulations seems so saccharine compared to Shinji just talking to himself. It doesn't feel like any way a real person would respond to the situation. I mean, if you just saw your friend come to a realization that essentially pulls them out of depression, would you respond with an almost sarcastic sounding "congratulations"?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”