How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Koneko_Hime
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Koneko_Hime » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:17 pm

A lot of many ways, I guess when I was one time looking for anime that had ended badly. I'm not sure I started EVA years back but never finished it, I'm slowly doing that now.

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:23 pm

View Original PostKoneko_Hime wrote:A lot of many ways, I guess when I was one time looking for anime that had ended badly. I'm not sure I started EVA years back but never finished it, I'm slowly doing that now.
The same thing happened to me lol.

Koneko_Hime
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Koneko_Hime » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:15 pm

View Original PostKatana wrote:The same thing happened to me lol.

Lol I'm so glad I don't feel alone on the fourm. I was so scared I was gonna make a fool of myself with having such little knowledge :D

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:17 pm

View Original PostKoneko_Hime wrote:Lol I'm so glad I don't feel alone on the fourm. I was so scared I was gonna make a fool of myself with having such little knowledge :D
You don't have to worry, after all, I admit I have yet to see Evangelion 2.0, I had to watch NGE twice and I watched it all along with EoE when I was 14.

Koneko_Hime
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Koneko_Hime » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:27 pm

View Original PostKatana wrote:You don't have to worry, after all, I admit I have yet to see Evangelion 2.0, I had to watch NGE twice and I watched it all along with EoE when I was 14.

I don't think i started until I was 19. I've not seen 2.0 either. Watching 1.0 was what got me back into the series. Some things I either had to look up or find out on my own. I've only made it to episode 16 so far. Knowing what I know I'm not really sure if I wanna watch EOE or not :uhh:

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:30 pm

View Original PostKoneko_Hime wrote:I don't think i started until I was 19. I've not seen 2.0 either. Watching 1.0 was what got me back into the series. Some things I either had to look up or find out on my own. I've only made it to episode 16 so far. Knowing what I know I'm not really sure if I wanna watch EOE or not :uhh:
But you must watch it, you won't understand anything if you'll watch the TV series ending, trust me, it will rape your mind, but it's really worth it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:41 pm

View Original PostKatana wrote:I have yet to see Evangelion 2.0

View Original PostKoneko_Hime wrote:I've not seen 2.0 either.

Hey, I'm supposed to be the one who's holding out on watching that! :lol:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Koneko_Hime
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Koneko_Hime » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 pm

View Original PostKatana wrote:But you must watch it, you won't understand anything if you'll watch the TV series ending, trust me, it will rape your mind, but it's really worth it.

Thank you ^_^ I'll keep that in mind. hopefully I can get through it.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:20 pm

View Original PostSinspawnJenova wrote:My friend had been hounding me to watch it for about a month, so I googled it and watch the entire series + EoE in 3 days. It was quite life-changing :P

This man... he is doing it right. Welcome.

melonjaywalk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby melonjaywalk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:51 am

I'm not sure I started EVA years back but never finished it, I'm slowly doing that now.

One thing that stuck with me on my first viewing, was Cruel Angel's Thesis. It was worth rediscovering the whole series just for the opportunity to hear that song every time.

Anyway that was my reason for finishing it.

It was a lifechanging experience, watching it all. In terms of narrative, and direction, and stuff. Also incredibly depressing. Don't think I'll go back to the original series now that I've seen Rebuild. Save for some episodes like Magmadiver! Yeah man.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:17 pm

View Original PostKoneko_Hime wrote:Thank you ^_^ I'll keep that in mind. hopefully I can get through it.

Yes, I strongly advise stopping the series at the end of ep 24. Skip 25-26 and Death and Rebirth, and go right to End of Evangelion.

If you have to be a completist, THEN watch 25-26. Otherwise your brain will :vomit:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:25 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Yes, I strongly advise stopping the series at the end of ep 24. Skip 25-26 and Death and Rebirth, and go right to End of Evangelion.

When I show the series to others, I show them the full series before moving on to EoE. It's the way that people would have seen it on TV, so that's how I display it. It would be like showing somebody who had never seen Star Wars before I, II, and III before showing them IV, V, and VI. It's simply not how you do it.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:32 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Yes, I strongly advise stopping the series at the end of ep 24. Skip 25-26 and Death and Rebirth, and go right to End of Evangelion.

If you have to be a completist, THEN watch 25-26. Otherwise your brain will :vomit:

I'd advise watching 25 and 26 before EoE, but only if you watch EoE within the next 48 hours. I'm of the opinion that the endings are actually supposed to be happening more or less in tandem, so yeah,.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Yea, I don't recommend skipping 25 or 26. The contrast between EoTV and EoE is interesting, and everyone seems to have their own interpretation. Are the endings concurrent? Do they both support the same message? Is Shinji choosing one decision in EoTV and an entirely different one in EoE?

Stuff like this you'd best judge on your own, and if you skip EoTV you're robbing yourself the chance to naturally experience the series as it was released.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:38 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Stuff like this you'd best judge on your own, and if you skip EoTV you're robbing yourself the chance to naturally experience the series as it was released.

My point exactly, CJD.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:41 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:When I show the series to others, I show them the full series before moving on to EoE. It's the way that people would have seen it on TV, so that's how I display it. It would be like showing somebody who had never seen Star Wars before I, II, and III before showing them IV, V, and VI. It's simply not how you do it.

I disagree. There are aspects of 25-26 that only make sense after you have seen EoE. Not to mention the completely Ridiculous "Congratulations!" ending which has caused brain vomit since its first airing.

Not only that, Anno himself stated that most of EoE was what he had planned originally for the finale of the series, but ran out of budget.

I would much rather the newcomer to the series get the complete story as envisioned by the writer before being exposed to the compromised crap.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:47 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:I would much rather the newcomer to the series get the complete story as envisioned by the writer before being exposed to the compromised crap.

The "compromised crap" was what the Japanese audiences were originally exposed to before seeing EoE. I make the best effort that I can to replicate the experience. As to parts of 25 and 26 not making sense until you've seen EoE, that all depends on how strongly you believe in the concurrency theory. I do believe in it, but I still show people 25 and 26 first. If one has the opportunity to enjoy material as it was originally presented, one should always take that opportunity. I still go to the theaters to watch Ghibli films in 35mm even when I have the DVD/BD at home, because I enjoy the original experience.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Or one can pick up one of the edited-together versions that combine 25-26-EoE into a single sequence.

Replicating the experience of the original viewers is not necessarily a particular virtue when the director has said that it was not his intention.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:29 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I make the best effort that I can to replicate the experience.

This. I get really particular about watching things in the right order. I watched all 26 episodes of the original series, then Death and Rebirth, then End of Evangelion, then the Rebuild movies. Some may say that D&R adds nothing to the plot, but I still enjoyed watching it. The credit sequence using Pachelbel's "Canon in D" was nice. Well, technically what we usually refer to as "Death and Rebirth" is really just Death, right? The credit sequence of D&R was awesome.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:06 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I watched all 26 episodes of the original series, then Death and Rebirth, then End of Evangelion, then the Rebuild movies.

That's exactly how I did it, but then again I didn't know what the fuck the deal was with the movies. To this day I don't even remember what version of Death I watched, or whether I watched the Renewal/Directors Cut episodes.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”