3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

3.0 + 1.0 Reactions

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:13 am

To those who saw the movie: How did you feel about it? What were some parts that stuck out to you?

Third Viewing thoughts
SPOILER: Show
Updated 3/22

This time, I ended up watching the movie a bit more casually and decided to enjoy it with two Japanese friends. One who was a fan, and the other had only seen the first 8 episodes of the TV series and the first film in preparation. Both enjoyed the movie. Certainly, there is so much in this movie that at times, I was able to catch things I didn’t see before and I will be making the relevant changes in the topics I’ve already made.

On the third time, my attention really shifted to the shot composition, directing, image construction in general and I was still blown away up until the very end. After finishing the film, we all got together and had a nice little mini celebration where we discussed the movie and there were some themes that they picked up in the movie that I thought were interesting.

Overall Themes

In a sense, evangelion is a story about characters who are all missing something and how they deal with the world. For example, with Gendo, it’s his lost wife Yui. With the people, I watched with this time we all agreed that the movie's message, themes, and resolution are simple to understand even though there's a lot of added complexity that surrounds it (technical jargon, for example).

Asuka and Kensuke’s relationship

This topic is thematically obvious in the movie. I kind of kick myself for not paying too much attention to it until the third time. The whole theme of Asuka’s instrumentality scene is that she never had a parent or someone to take care or look after her. Kensuke fills that role for her.

Asuka: I don't know my papa, mama is not here either.
(?): So you don't need anyone, Asuka.
Asuka: <There's no one and I'll do as I want.> (??)
<If I don't do that, it will be painful.>
<Because living is painful.>
<I'll pilot the Eva.>
<Even if I'm disliked by people, even if they bad-mouth me, it doesn't matter as long as I pilot the Eva.>
<There's no value to me other than that.>
<I have a strong body and mind and I don't need anybody.> (?)
<So praise me, accept me!>
<Give me a place to belong to!>
<I'm truly lonely.>

Next is the scene where a young Asuka sees “baby Shinji” with Yui and Gendo. They are all wearing formal attire (tuxedos) and are surrounded by Nerv personnel.

Gendo: Oohh.
Yui: Haha.

Asuka looks on at them with the expression below

Asuka: <I really just wanted a pat on the head.>
*Asuka's crying*
Kensuke: Phew.
It's fine.

Asuka used the doll as a coping mechanism for lack of having a parental figure in her life. When the giant doll is then revealed to be Kensuke who pats her on the head. We see his role akin to a parent or caretaker.
Side notes, I didn’t get any relationship vibes from Kensuke/Asuka in their scenes together. Again, the girls I saw the movie with also confirmed that it was really obvious that they weren’t together romantically and his role was akin to her caretaker.

Shinji’s Mental State and the Themes of Guilt and Selfishness
Aka why Asuka beats up and force feeds Shinji.
Again, some subtle nuance but it’s what Shinji wanted. For me words like sadness, depression, catatonic come up to describe his feelings in the first act of the film. However, my friends both used the word guilt. They also described that from a cultural context, this was extremely explicit but the nuance may be lost.

In the first act, Shinji feels like he can’t control anything. He can’t accept the kindness of the people in the third village because of his guilt. Shinji can’t understand and take the responsibility he must bear for other people's lives. He doesn’t trust himself. To an extent, Asuka and Shinji are the same in the sense that Asuka empathizes with Shinji because she knows what happened in the past as well as having the experience of also being an eva pilot. Asuka knows that Shinji wants someone to yell at him, insult him, berate him, and punish him for his guilt (in essence, the trouble he’s caused piloting eva). In contrast, Asuka took the different path and relied on her own inner mental strength to continue. Again, the theme of Asuka’s motivation to pilot eva for the approval of others despite having a parent figure is explored in her instrumentality scene. When Asuka beats up Shinji and force feeds him, she is the only person who’s giving him what he wants in his current mental state.

For context, I’m going to quote from the script:
Asuka: I'm already fed up.
(?): It's not easy on us either.
Shinji: Uhh... Cough....
Asuka: Throwing up again?
*Shinji's heavy breathing*
You brat!
Just being feed this kind of meal- you should be thankful!
You still have to eat to survive, like the Lilin.
So eat! For us, it's always only water.
Before you get a body that won't change at all, you should taste the awfulness of this food.
Stupid brat!
That way, you won't do anything.
You just don't want to hurt yourself again.
If you have some time, at least at that time-
Why did I get to the point of wanting to hit you-
Try to think!
Shinji: Uuhhh...
Asuka: You're too mentally weak.
At best, what you had to do backfired, and there's no way to recover.
Because everything is your own fault, you just don't want to do anything anymore.
Though an order from your parent, if that's the degree of your mental fortitude-
I didn't want you to get in the Eva in the first place!
Shinji: Uh...
*door opening*
Asuka: Sulk on your own, brat.

There’s also the underlying theme of the villainy of selfishness. This theme is pervasive in Japanese society, nonetheless, it still can be understood as a universal concept. The selfishness of Gendo to sacrifice all those people so that he can see Yui again. The selfishness of Shinji who saved Rei and had an “awakening.” Misato gave the order to pilot the eva but she didn’t give the order to save Rei so there’s a thematic parallel in this regard.

Kaji’s Sacrifice in Relation to Misato’s Guilt
I’ve mentioned this before in another thread somewhere but Kaji sacrificed himself in the VTOL to stop the third impact. Misato wanted to go ride the VTOL with Kaji and die with him but her pregnancy prevented that and was the explicit reason she stayed behind. In this way, she feels guilty about living [another common theme in the movie]. Here, Misato “missing something,” Kaji to which she also carries the guilt of the aftermath of the third impact partially because she gave Shinji the order to pilot Unit 01 at that time.
Misato: At that time, I truly wished to stay with Kaji.
Ritsuko: I know you did.
If you weren't with child, I might have forgiven you.

Rei and Asuka’s Scene in the Third Village
Again, this is just something I didn’t pay too much attention to when it happened but this time it stood out to me.

Asuka: Ah!
Who?
Betsu-Rei: Me.
Asuka: Ah, the first pilot?
Open the lock.
Betsu-Rei: I have heard that Ikari is here.
Asuka: He's not here. He run away.
Betsu-Rei: If that's the case, I'll try looking for him.
Asuka: Let me tell you something. (614)
We, the Eva pilots, are the same as the Eva-
They/we were constrained at the time of design in order not to surpass the framework/limit/box of humans.
There are, it seems, inefficient emotions/feelings.
They/we were just designed to match the cognitive behaviour of humans.
You are the Ayanami Series-
You were programmed to have a strong liking to the Third Child.
Your feelings right now were arranged by Nerv from the start.
Betsu-Rei: I see. That's good though, because it makes me happy.

Asuka: If that's the case, do as you like.
The target of your affection is at the remains of Nerv's Second Branch N109.
Betsu-Rei: Thanks.
Asuka: If you go to him, bring him those rations.
Because he will soon be at his limit.

Not really too much analysis here but what stood out that Rei was programmed to like Shinji and that’s why she helps him. Rei says she doesn’t care because it makes her happy. [Here I’ve slightly modified the script to mirror what was happening.] Asuka was kind of saying it to piss off Rei but it didn’t really work.

The importance of the DSS Choker

What originally felt like an arbitrary plot device to me in Q, now really carries a lot of significance in Shin. Certainly, Shinji vomits at the sight of Asuka wearing the DSS choker in regards to witnessing Kaoru’s death. However, it can also be seen as symbolic of taking responsibility for the lives of others. The responsibility of essentially not having the world end when you pilot eva while still being able to protect others. When Shinji regains his resolve and wears the DSS choker again, he’s taking the risk and responsibility to protect people other than himself. Again, the theme of growing up comes to mind.

The Death of Rei
AKA Rei’s LCL pop
Wow, again. Even during a leisurely watch, this is such a powerful, intense, surprising and shocking scene even when you know it’s coming. I always jump at this scene and the directing is just fantastic. Especially after the immediate cut to the baby crying and then flashing back the Rei’s empty plug suit laying in a pool of LCL with a small cross of light coming from above. Many people in the theatre, including my girlfriend, when she saw this scene, loudly gasped in shock when Rei exploded into a pool of LCL.

Additionally, I can say this shock happens again when Gendo gets shot (only for a moment) by Ritsuko before it’s revealed that he has survived. I think the impact for viewers will be reduced if you’d read the spoilers. Because it was a really cool WTF moment where you think it’s over so quickly (as well as a nice EoE reference)

God Killing and 神殺し: The Miyazaki Princess Mononoke Influence

One of the topics of conversation that came up after the movie was 神殺し(かみごろし=kamiguroshi). I asked, “What was all that stuff about killing god?” My friend replied that it was from Princess Mononoke.

For the record, I haven’t seen Princess Mononoke. Evageeks founder and resident expert, Reichu picked up on this a while ago and outside of a the visual reference, this totally went over my head until my friend explained it to me after we saw the movie.

Certainly, my friend, as a fan, she also knew the history involving Anno’s relationship with Miyazaki. Again, I haven’t seen Princess Mononoke so I’m not going to speculate but rather summarize what she said.

The first time I heard the word 神殺し was in Princess Mononoke. It has to do with doing something against nature/killing a god. This concept is exactly the same as in Princess Mononoke.

Certainly, anyone who has seen the movie or can shed some light on this please let me know!

There's a Japanese youtube video that explains Yui's goals and the Meaning of Kamigurosi but I haven't really delved into it yet.

The Only Part that Irked Me in the Movie

The EVA01 vs EVA13 CG fight. I thought it was bad and took me out of the movie. I could certainly provide 3 or 4 arguments for either why this was intentional or why it looked the way it did but I’m going to refrain from doing so.
On a related note, I thought the CG Rei head during Additional Impact was weird the first time but I thought it was fine upon other viewings.

Rei and Babies
There's a lot of scenes that involve Rei and babies-- in particular Hikari and Touji's baby. For example holding babies, the pregnant cat, holding the sack of potato's baby in the Neon Genesis scene. I know there's definitely some symbolism going on here but I don't really have an interpretation or speculation on it at the time. Maybe the theme of motherhood/mother archetype being associated with Rei.
[Not sure if it's too hard to see but there's a pregnant cat under the train car. There's a few shots involving Rei and the pregnant cat]

The Gendo's backstory scene
Having known Anno's history, my friend brought up the fact that Gendo's backstory mirrored Anno's biography in someway. Especially in the shots of Ube, Anno's hometown.

Anno's Hometown in the final scene
My friend who I saw it is originally from Yamaguchi Prefecture (山口県) and actually grew up a train stop or two away from Anno's hometown. She thought it was cool and tried to find her house in the final scene

Well, this wraps up my impressions for seeing the movie again for the third time. The quoted posts below are what I took out of my other viewings.

Shin Evangelion: Second Impression
After seeing Shin Evangelion in theatres for a second time, it seems I have a lot more reactions and impressions this time around.

Introduction
Well I just saw 3.0+1.0 in IMAX and wow did I have a lot to take away. Again, my response after seeing the movie is still: WOW! I will be a little more critical on certain parts here because now the spoilers and criticism for the movie are out but in no way did these small infractions impede wholly on my impressions.
Even though I’ve already read a lot of negative criticism after seeing the movie opening night, my impression hasn’t changed. I will say if you are in the slightest bit interested in seeing the movie and what happens in the final chapter, this will be an enjoyable film at least on the first viewing.
I’m going to begin with more general observations and then proceed to discuss some of the more detailed areas.

First Viewing
Now, seeing it the first time was a different experience seeing it the second time. The first time I had no idea what was going to happen my experience was mainly shock, aw, and utter disbelief that the fourth and final film in the series was at last released. Some of the things that popped out to me were mainly the visual references and cues to things we’ve seen in the previous films.

Shinji’s Mental State
On the first time, I was extremely tuned into the sorrow and depression Shinji felt in the act of the film and it’s completely visceral. Especially how the music contrasts Shinji’s mental state in contrast to the relative upbeat backdrop of the third village. He’s pretty much in the same state in the beginning of EoE (and maybe worse based on the way it’s depicted).

There is a message of redemption and emotional healing in this part and this was a part I teared up on because of this sub-textual display of the acknowledgement that we can recover from our own intrinsic emotional scars. Shinji’s recovery is slow and deliberate. This was the first tear-up for me. Once he finds his resolve the emotional context of the movie makes more sense. Now he has the mental, emotional, spiritual endurance to face instrumentality to move forward. Unlike in EoE, where the main character is mainly inactive for the climax, our Shinji in 3.0+1.0 is mentally prepared and finds his resolve to confront his father.

Second Viewing
On the second time, personally, I was able to take a lot more in due to the IMAX experience (however, this was the same for 3.333 for me in IMAX as well). For example, the shot composition and direction really stand out. Whether people like it or not Anno has a trademark directing/ shot composition style and it permeates this film.

After taking about three pages of notes immediately after my viewing experience. I have the feeling that everything that needs to be explained within the context of the movie is answered.

Visual Storytelling
This is a visual film and a lot of its storytelling is through the cues, subtext and sounds of the film. Each scene is loaded with information and somethings which may seem vague in the script are more imbued with meaning in their visual representation. Certainly, if one is to criticize the script from the perspective of internally consistent and coherent writing within the world. To sum it up, there’s a lot of intuitive and implied understanding that comes via means of the images that coheres the film.

Anno’s Directing Style and the Artistic merit of Shin Evangelion
Suffice to say, this film will be scrutinized, studied, and analyzed from an artistic, analytic, and aesthetic standpoint along with the rest of Eva for years to come. During the second viewing, Anno’s shot framing and composition really stood out. Most of the visuals were fantastically rendered and the screen overflowed with so much visual information. Anno’s visual is no less deniable among the pantheon of other auteur directors (like Tarantino, Lynch or Kubrick , say). Certainly people will have something to say about the writing and to be honest, that’s not my realm. However, can we judge visually driven movies (like 2001: A Space Odyssey, say) by merely the script alone?

In terms of other aesthetic choices, there were A LOT of butt shots (fan service). Almost in every scene. Again, Anno reused a lot of animation assets from the previous works to pack in even more.

Meta-narrative/ Biographical Connections
With any work of art, the artist's experiences will at some level be imbued in their work. Certainly, this can be observed with respect to most works [of art/ fiction, say]. Inspiration comes in many forms and there’s no doubt that Anno used inspiration from his own life in the film. However, it does not go beyond this. Shin is not the life story of Hideaki Anno. It’s the conclusion of the narrative that started with 1.0 all those years ago. With everything that’s been packed into this feature, there’s really not enough credence to say you’re watching an Anno biography. Again, he is an auteur and has a signature directing style but anything beyond that is reading into things too much. This isn’t an impenetrable, esoteric, or abstruse movie. There are interesting tidbits here and there, but the thematic elements are all pretty straightforward.

The Visuals and CG
Here I’m going to be a bit more realistic in this regard. Some of the shots angles and animation would require much more labor and effort to animate everything in the 2D style. There was an intense 3-year production cycle and they tried to cram as much visual content as possible. In terms of time limit, budget, and number of competent animators in Japan available, they really did the best they could in this time. There were a few scenes where we were treated to still images in the third village montage scene that I felt probably would have been animated given the time.
Having said that, the aesthetic choices were all very intentional. Overall, I want to say that the CG is pretty good and a necessary choice because it conveys the concept of depth so well when needed to. Certainly, they could 2D animate some of the scenes but again the number of animators, time limits, camera moves, these processes are all labor intensive.
Animation-wise, there were a few moments where I felt they might have run out of time to put on the final polish. However, in contrast to this, there’s some amazing 2D and 3D animation. I know a lot of people have been talking about Asuka’s transformation into a being of light but also Marie vs the Eva Opfer types are quite impressive as well.
In my first viewing, I was taken out of the film by two specific scenes. The shitty CG battle between Gendo and Shinji in Tokyo 3 as well as 3D Giant Rei head. On the second viewing, I realized these choices were indeed intentional in the context of the scene.

Thrice Upon a Time
Why thrice upon a time? This was the third time for Anno ending the series. Going into the theatre during my second viewing, I couldn’t help but realize that each of the three endings (NGE, EoE, NTE, respectively) all essentially ended the same way thematically with the Human Instrumentality project as means for a symbolic pseudo psycho-analytical internal dialogue that ultimately leads to a world without Evangelion. In the television version, we were treated to almost purely a psychological progression of its ending although still frame shots from EoE are slightly present in ep 25, 26. In EoE, we were treated to the physical manifestation of the Human Instrumentality project where Shinji’s mental state and decisions literally determine the fate of mankind. But here in Shin Eva, all of these elements are present and remixed with a slight twist. In Shin, Shinji finally has finally come to terms with his own “instrumentality” (e.g. internal state) in the third village with the help of his friends.
Throughout the course of the rebuild saga, we’ve heard from Anno that he wanted to make and show something new and something that hasn’t been seen before with Evangelion. With Thrice Upon a Time (ToT), we see Multiple Instrumentalities. Instead of the instrumentalities centered around Shinji, we see Gendo, Asuka, and Kaoru’s instrumentality. At first instrumentality is entirely centered around Gendo and his psychology, a first for the franchise. After that, Shinji could ‘have his turn’ so to say but we’ve already seen that two times already. He says he’s okay and he wants to save everyone instead. That is now Shinji is okay mentally stable and has the resolve to accept the fate that will befall him. He can now enter other’s instrumentality in order to save them.

The IMAX experience
As stated before, I’ve seen 3.333 in IMAX and out of the myriad of re-watches of Q, this was the first time I felt not only immersed but also was able to clearly comprehend a lot of the action and images that were packed into the frames. This was again the case with my second viewing of Shin. The depth of field and image quality greatly contributed to feeling the depth and adventure of some of 3.0+1.0’s action scenes. If there is an international theatrical release with IMAX possible, I strongly recommend seeing it together.

[Side note: During the originally scheduled release date there was supposed to be a 3.333+ 3.0+1.0 double feature planned. I’m curious to see how each film will complement each other when viewed back-to-back]

The scene where I cried both times…
Is right after Shinji talks with Misato after being shot. Here we see her without her captain’s hat and glasses. This is the first time in a long time we’ve seen Misato in this way. Although the conversation is rather simple and straight forward the subtext and tone of their two voices during this conversation speaks mountains. Although it’s difficult to put into words, the feeling of Misato in the role of the mother is revealed.

To quote from the translated script:
Misato: It's fine, Second Lieutenant. Ikari Shinji, the only things a son can do to his father are giving him a tap/pat on his shoulder, or to kill him. It's just what Kaji told me.
Shinji: Misato, I have met Kaji Ryouji.
Misato: Is he well?
Shinji: Yes.
Misato: I'm glad.
Shinji: He was a very nice man. Though I have spoken with him only briefly, I like him.
Misato: Thank you. Shinji, please always support him.
Shinji: Yes. Misato, I'm off.(ittekimasu)
Misato: Take care. (itterasshai)

Then tension between the two is broken to reveal that Misato had cared about Shinji all along and their patchwork amalgamated family bond was intact. To paraphrase my impression of the feeling: Misato was like Shinji, I still care about you, are you okay? To which he replied, yeah I’m okay now I met your son and talked only a little but he’s a good guy. I like him. After that they say their final goodbyes. This is just my perspective, but the delicacy and intimacy in this short scene makes me cry every time. There’s so much layered in that short exchange. [I’m tearing up now just thinking about it :-p]

References to Japanese Culture
This was definitely a movie made for the Japanese public and the cultural symbolism is inherent from the countryside farming life to echoes of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. With the latter, there’s a scene where a giant see of Eva Infinities crash against the barriers of the third village while its inhabitants wait for what fate is to befall. Of course, Japan is a nation riddled by natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunami’s, and the annual Typhoon season (called hurricane’s in the west). I remember a scene when the elder Bunzaeman Horaki drinks his from his sake (日本酒) cup as the third village rumbles. I too recall doing a similar ritual during a major typhon a few years ago.

Mari
Although we don’t get any explicit scenes centered around Mari, we see her in Gendo’s instrumentality in a flashback scene. It is revealed that she was friends with Gendo along with Yui and Fuyutsuki when they were young.
After her conversation with Fuyutski on one of the black Wunders, Mari fights the Eva Opfer types and destroys the black Wunders. This action scene is really cool and the animation is great. It’s a little reminiscent of the Asuka vs MP Eva fight in Shin.

Asuka ‘s Instrumentality
Asuka is an adult in her instrumentality but can be seen as a child in flashbacks. One of her opening lines is something about how she doesn’t need anyone during training at the Euro Nerv facility. She also sees a happy Yui and Gendo with baby Shinji.
There is a wall of photos of different Shikinami series with red X’s over their pictures implying they didn’t make it with the exception of TWO. The other Asuka is the one residing in Unit 02 who saves her soul and drags it into the cockpit of UNIT 02 before her ill-fated defeat.
The Kensuke x Asuka implication isn’t enough to be that they’re together. It seems it’s more like he’s comforting her.
I read this mentioned in another topic but when Asuka is ejected from an entry plug in EVA 13, her clothes do seem smaller and she has grown up. Same with why her original plugsuit looks that way on the beach.

Miscellaneous thoughts/ Observations
Are there people in the battle ships surrounding Wunder?
There’s a shot of the maji supercomputers in the Wunder. Did we get to see this in Q?

First Viewing Original Post
I just wanted to put in to words how I felt about seeing this movie. Now, I don't want to give away too many spoilers but I want to talk about the impression that this movie left.

I really liked how they answered a lot of questions and did things you didn't expect while still keeping the same beats to the original and the series.

What did you think when you saw it?

Personally, I thought it ended the way it should have.
Last edited by Pluto on Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:06 am, edited 15 times in total.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

WarlikeWolf
Embryo

Re: 3.0 + 1.0 Reactions [Spoilers]

•      
  •      

Postby WarlikeWolf » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 am

Where can I find some spoilers ? Can you tell us what happened in the movie?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:44 am

View Original PostWarlikeWolf wrote:Where can I find some spoilers ?]
Go here
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:25 pm

It reminds me of the LOST finale

Satisfying and a feeling of a real end

But with unanswered questions that I ain’t fazed about it just simply is what it is!

Can’t wait to see it

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:06 pm

I just realised something

There'll be no more Service! Service! Service!
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:40 pm

Some overall thoughts (trying to keep spoilers at a minimum):

The visual experience on this movie is amazing. When I was watching the opening scene (AVANT1) in the theatre it felt like I was there in the battle with them.

The music is amazing! I especially like all of the piano tracks that create the atmosphere.

3.0+1.0 isn't afraid to have fun. There's a cool 70s super robot anime feeling music theme when the wunder battles the dark wonder.

There are definitely some great character and emotional beats seeing it in the sense that I felt they were giving a message to fans that you can heal in spite of your sadness and pain.

The village scene is VERY Japanese wrt culture.

Secrets were revealed.

To those who are in Japan and worried about their Japanese skill, if you're familiar with the material, you'll be shocked how much you will understand in this movie. It's like being able to enjoy music even if you're focus isn't on the lyrics.

I've read some of the comments in the spoiler thread and it seems a lot of people have read the spoilers but might not have the context.

I'm still thinking about the ending, I'm glad we were able to end this story on a happy note.

I will be seeing the movie again this weekend and maybe next week as well.

I was surprised how accurate intermediate O's predictions were.

3.0+1.0 was like an EoE, you could show your mom.

Certainly, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them

[edit]
Some more thoughts

At the beginning Shinji was really emotionally messed up, like EoE level and it's really powerful emotionally to see how he's practically catatonic and the people around him and his friends are showing him kindness.

I feel like the first part was to chill you (the fans) out that it was the final movie.

So many things I saw I absolutely didn't expect in the best way possible

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:55 pm

View Original PostPluto wrote:3.0+1.0 was like an EoE, you could show your mom.

Jokes on you, I already showed my mother EoE a decade ago.

She's still worried about me.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:58 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:It reminds me of the LOST finale

Satisfying and a feeling of a real end

But with unanswered questions that I ain’t fazed about it just simply is what it is!

Can’t wait to see it

Yeah I'm really glad the way it ended.

What's really interesting is how it layers upon NGE nice.
Like what if Asuka was a clone in the NGEverse

Thinking about it now, we think about how Q is a setup to 3.0+1.0. However, in 3.0+1.0, Q is the stakes.

Towards the end:

I liked the lore parts they brought up too and streamlined the impact instrumentality plot at the end. They really made the abstract ideas in EoE much more concrete as well.

It leads me to think about the act of Impact. What is really possible? What is the purpose to it? What's the motivation for doing so. What would it look like if you invoked a ceremony to bring the end of the world so that one attains the power of a god? What are some possible outcomes. Good ending/ bad ending kinda thing. Tbh, I think a 14yr old boy would probably wish for a normal life. I know that's what a lot of people that age do.

Seeing it again? Yes.

I'm gonna go back in the theatre and see it in a couple of days with some friends and see if I can pick up on some more details.

I'm really curious to know how other people felt when they saw it

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:18 am

To Pluto,

Do you think there will be a longer directors cut version in the future?

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:25 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:To Pluto,

Do you think there will be a longer directors cut version in the future?

This, I don't think so. Still, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them doing some enhancements when it reaches home release.

os189
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby os189 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:12 am

I've been littering my reactions all over the main thread for over 24 hours. I'm obsessed....this movie is all I can think about since I saw it.

Please go over and find what I wrote and see if you agree or disagree with me on the big stuff!

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm

View Original Postos189 wrote:I've been littering my reactions all over the main thread for over 24 hours. I'm obsessed....this movie is all I can think about since I saw it.

Please go over and find what I wrote and see if you agree or disagree with me on the big stuff!

Can you please summarize or post what you said here? The main topic has some much in it. I'm really curious to know what you thought about it

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:41 pm

lol, I'm a mod here, and I've even given up on keeping track of everything I've read on that general spoiler thread.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:52 pm

At this point I can only dream that as part of "handing the reins over", they make more shorts a la Gurren Lagann Parallel Works and we get one detailing the Third Impact in a 3-min artistic montage form like in "All You Bastards Get Fired Up!".
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

BB2K
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BB2K » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 pm

i just signed up to post in here because i saw the movie and dont know where else to talk about it lol

i dont understand all that much Japanese despite living here too long, but despite all the dialogue i missed, i managed to get a lot, definitely thematically

its all ive been able to think about since monday. i wasnt sure what to expect after 3, but i think they really, really knocked this out of the park

anything could have happened, and did, and it was all good

EoE is my favourite movie ever, and while i still probably think so, this one was really so, so good.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:54 am

View Original PostBB2K wrote:i just signed up to post in here because i saw the movie and dont know where else to talk about it lol

i dont understand all that much Japanese despite living here too long, but despite all the dialogue i missed, i managed to get a lot, definitely thematically

its all ive been able to think about since monday. i wasnt sure what to expect after 3, but i think they really, really knocked this out of the park

anything could have happened, and did, and it was all good

EoE is my favourite movie ever, and while i still probably think so, this one was really so, so good.

Thanks for signing up and replying! I definitely feel the same.

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:At this point I can only dream that as part of "handing the reins over", they make more shorts a la Gurren Lagann Parallel Works and we get one detailing the Third Impact in a 3-min artistic montage form like in "All You Bastards Get Fired Up!".

It seems everyone is thinking along these lines. Legend has it that the director from Gurren Lagann was a key animator for 3.0+1.0. It'll probably be some time before we see something new.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:58 am

So I actually saw the movie. And what a movie it is.

MEGA  SPOILER: Show
The fight in Paris. The DSS choker on Asuka. Older Toji and Kensuke. Toji getting married to Hikari and having a kid. Rei's head blowing up. Asuka revealing what's been under her eyepatch all this time. The revelation of Asuka clones. Ritsuko actually getting to shoot Gendo this time. The return of old soundtracks. The return of old animation. The life of young Gendo. The life of young Asuka. The new beach scene. Rei with long hair. Neon Genesis.The ending.

I nearly jumped out of my seat at some of these moments. They're all going to stick around in my head for a long, long time. Hell, they got me to come back here. I want to go back and see it again.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:02 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:So I actually saw the movie. And what a movie it is.

MEGA  SPOILER: Show
The fight in Paris. The DSS choker on Asuka. Older Toji and Kensuke. Toji getting married to Hikari and having a kid. Rei's head blowing up. Asuka revealing what's been under her eyepatch all this time. The revelation of Asuka clones. Ritsuko actually getting to shoot Gendo this time. The return of old soundtracks. The return of old animation. The life of young Gendo. The life of young Asuka. The new beach scene. Rei with long hair. Neon Genesis.The ending.

I nearly jumped out of my seat at some of these moments. They're all going to stick around in my head for a long, long time. Hell, they got me to come back here. I want to go back and see it again.

Yes! You've really encapsulated a lot of what is important in the movie in your quote. The message of this work,it's message, and the experience (to me IMHO) seem more important than the lore, or even the script of the words on the page.

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:05 am

The scene with Shinji and Rei where they talk about the world they're in and what the world could be when the title cards for all the TV episodes are flashing in the background... That was an emotional experience. I need to go back and watch again so I can try to catch more of the dialogue, because WOW, there's a lot to unpack and it's all dense.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:42 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:The scene with Shinji and Rei where they talk about the world they're in and what the world could be when the title cards for all the TV episodes are flashing in the background... That was an emotional experience. I need to go back and watch again so I can try to catch more of the dialogue, because WOW, there's a lot to unpack and it's all dense.

Yeah I definitely can't wait to see it again. Even though I was able to catch most of what was going on plot wise, there's always something new to be garnered from another viewing. I think the next time I see it, I'd like to do a podcast/youtube video about it with my Japanese friend and have her talk about her experiences and explain the cultural connections.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”