Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FireOfPies
Embryo

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby FireOfPies » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:14 pm

Even outside of all this drama, I still fail to like the ADV dub, the voice acting is just sub par, it doesn't really capture tone well in my opinion. Too up beat. I unironiccly prefer the Netflix dub. When it comes for the rebuilds, I like the ADV cast. I feel they've matured a lot. If I had my dream cast it would be the Netflix cast, but Spencer as Shinji and Grant as Asuka.
Waiting for English 3.0+1.0...this may be a while.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:16 pm

View Original PostFireOfPies wrote:Even outside of all this drama, I still fail to like the ADV dub, the voice acting is just sub par, it doesn't really capture tone well in my opinion. Too up beat. I unironiccly prefer the Netflix dub. When it comes for the rebuilds, I like the ADV cast. I feel they've matured a lot. If I had my dream cast it would be the Netflix cast, but Spencer as Shinji and Grant as Asuka.

This is kind of getting off topic but I'll just add that I think the new Shinji is better as a replacement than the new Asuka, so I'd accept even just Tiffany Grant returning. But I do agree they got a little better in the Funimation version.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:46 pm

I felt like Spencer and Grant were both the biggest problems with the old ADV dub, because their depictions of Shinji and Asuka sound very broad and stereotypical. So them returning for the Funimation dubs of the Rebuild movies made me facepalm. (I can take or leave Allison Keith, sometimes she's really good, other times not so much.)

That being said, Funimation dubbed the first three Rebuild movies, so it would be weird if a new cast dubbed the final one. Unless Khara is intending to re-dub the first three, it will just seem awkward. I say let them finish their work.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:03 pm

With Funimation apparently losing the rights to all the previous Rebuild movies (they are no longer on their online shop), the chances of them finishing the series are pretty much 0 I think.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:22 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:(with the minor exception of them basically making the kawoshin scene in episode 24 "NO HOMO, HOMO BE BAAAAD").

Just watched some of the Kaworu scenes with the Netflix dub, and yeeaah, it does kind of feel that way. Not a fan of the Kaworu casting and "you're worthy of my grace"/"I like you" are bad lines. Though I feel like the homoeroticism is so inherent to their relationship that it's not something you could really get rid of by altering the lines.
hui43210 wrote:You think Khara will put in jelly splats and "hit him again!" themselves?

Wasn't sure what you were talking about with "hit him again!" so I looked it up and holy shit that is so funny

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:34 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:
View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:(with the minor exception of them basically making the kawoshin scene in episode 24 "NO HOMO, HOMO BE BAAAAD").

Just watched some of the Kaworu scenes with the Netflix dub, and yeeaah, it does kind of feel that way. Not a fan of the Kaworu casting and "you're worthy of my grace"/"I like you" are bad lines. Though I feel like the homoeroticism is so inherent to their relationship that it's not something you could really get rid of by altering the lines.
View Original Posthui43210#918064 wrote:You think Khara will put in jelly splats and "hit him again!" themselves?

Wasn't sure what you were talking about with "hit him again!" so I looked it up and holy shit that is so funny

Yeah but, it's not supposed to be funny so it was a bad change. I don't know why they had such a more lax attitude with EoE. I guess because it was uncomfortablly dark so they didn't take it as seriously. Manga dub of EoE is the only bit of the original English localization I think is overtly worth replacing. I would have just preferred Funimation do it. (Oh, plus the redubbing in Death True² is wack).

Also as for Kaworu I agree they messed it up a bit. "Love" from Kaworu, a weird crazy ancient alien, doesn't even necessarily only imply romantic love. I interpret it more like "agape" love (Greek word for more selfless and not sexual love).

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:37 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:Not a fan of the Kaworu casting and "you're worthy of my grace"/"I like you" are bad lines. Though I feel like the homoeroticism is so inherent to their relationship that it's not something you could really get rid of by altering the lines.

I don't think they were trying to intentionally "get rid of" the homoeroticism. It's just more subtle.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:39 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:
View Original Postbaldur#918104 wrote:Not a fan of the Kaworu casting and "you're worthy of my grace"/"I like you" are bad lines. Though I feel like the homoeroticism is so inherent to their relationship that it's not something you could really get rid of by altering the lines.

I don't think they were trying to intentionally "get rid of" the homoeroticism. It's just more subtle.

This is also true. It just, once again sounds a little too vague/elusive in English. "I like you" from a man to a man is definitely suggestive in Japanese, more so than it already is in English.

Edit:
Pre-emptive edit, it seems like this thread is getting pretty off topic, but hey it's just because we're worried to go to any other thread right? Haha :D
Last edited by The Dragon Mask on Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:42 pm

View Original PostPortuXIII wrote:we are going to see Shin Eva pretty soon on Prime Video,(...) on or around Easter Day (Sunday, April 4).

I'll eat my socks with milk if that turns out to be true
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:45 pm

View Original PostAkko wrote:
View Original PostPortuXIII#914319 wrote:we are going to see Shin Eva pretty soon on Prime Video,(...) on or around Easter Day (Sunday, April 4).

I'll eat my socks with milk if that turns out to be true

Orange milk like in Mega64's video? :D

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:55 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:With Funimation apparently losing the rights to all the previous Rebuild movies (they are no longer on their online shop), the chances of them finishing the series are pretty much 0 I think.

Do we have a reliable source for that?

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:I mean, Kanemitsu has responded to fans on twitter before regarding his Eva translations. Someone could just ask him.

Actually, yes, do that. See:

Like I said, this is incredible. It's everything we've speculated and put on the wiki.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:57 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:
View Original PostJoseki#918099 wrote:With Funimation apparently losing the rights to all the previous Rebuild movies (they are no longer on their online shop), the chances of them finishing the series are pretty much 0 I think.

Do we have a reliable source for that?

As far as I can tell, no we do not. It's just speculation technically, but I'd argue it's a pretty educated guess if nothing else.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:31 pm

The Dragon Mask wrote:Yeah but, it's not supposed to be funny so it was a bad change.

Oh, I completely agree. I stated my thoughts on the old dub earlier in the thread. Still, pretty hysterical.
The Dragon Mask wrote:Also as for Kaworu I agree they messed it up a bit. "Love" from Kaworu, a weird crazy ancient alien, doesn't even necessarily only imply romantic love. I interpret it more like "agape" love (Greek word for more selfless and not sexual love).

Right, the lines are weird regardless of kawoshin stuff. "Worthy of my grace" just makes Kaworu sound arrogant and narcissistic. And "I like you" has absolutely zero oomph, which is bad enough for this scene but also completely ruins the final scene of the episode where Shinji talks about how much it meant for him to hear those words. So yeah, it's a pretty atrocious translation, which is a shame.
penguintruth wrote:I don't think they were trying to intentionally "get rid of" the homoeroticism. It's just more subtle.

I'm not saying they necessarily were, that's just how it comes off. And I don't think kawoshin needs to be any more subtle; it's already leveled down a bit from the original scripts, which, to be completely honest, is a change that I find myself liking less and less each time I come across someone in denial over the pretty blatant dynamics of their relationship.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:20 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:
Oh, I completely agree. I stated my thoughts on the old dub earlier in the thread. Still, pretty hysterical.

Right, the lines are weird regardless of kawoshin stuff. "Worthy of my grace" just makes Kaworu sound arrogant and narcissistic. And "I like you" has absolutely zero oomph, which is bad enough for this scene but also completely ruins the final scene of the episode where Shinji talks about how much it meant for him to hear those words. So yeah, it's a pretty atrocious translation, which is a shame.

Yeah, I agree "worthy of my grace" makes him seem like a really pompous, whereas it seemed like he was supposed to be pretty humble actually. Maybe that was just an invention of the ADV version though? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree "I like you" and Shinji's devastation doesn't have as much impact in English with the new translation.

I just hope, (bringing it back to 3.0+1.0 again), that the 3.0+1.0 translation doesn't have a bunch of weird clunkers. It's been a long time since I saw the 3.0 official translation, and the one that's most clear in my memory is probably UTW/Thora's, but I don't remember it being too off.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:48 pm

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Maybe that was just an invention of the ADV version though? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Going by his depiction in the original script, 3.0, and almost every other translation of the scene that I've seen: that certainly does not appear to be the case.

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:I just hope, (bringing it back to 3.0+1.0 again), that the 3.0+1.0 translation doesn't have a bunch of weird clunkers. It's been a long time since I saw the 3.0 official translation, and the one that's most clear in my memory is probably UTW/Thora's, but I don't remember it being too off.

Despite what my thoughts on Episode 24 might indicate, I'm actually a big fan of the Netflix translation and largely think it's superior to any other that I've seen, even if it does have some glaring flaws. Same applies for the official translations of the Rebuild films.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:05 pm

View Original Postbaldur wrote:Going by his depiction in the original script, 3.0, and almost every other translation of the scene that I've seen: that certainly does not appear to be the case.

I'm glad. I was mostly joking but you never know, right?

View Original Postbaldur wrote:Despite what my thoughts on Episode 24 might indicate, I'm actually a big fan of the Netflix translation and largely think it's superior to any other that I've seen, even if it does have some glaring flaws. Same applies for the official translations of the Rebuild films.

That's good to hear. To be honest I need to give the whole thing a watch sometime soon to give it a fair shake. I dabbled a bit with the first few episodes and the ending(s) and I have to say that new Shinji objectively sounds pretty good. Maybe even a near perfect match for Megumi in the EoE kitchen scene with Asuka.

Just, I wish the old crew could "finish the fight", and it sours the finale of Eva for them to be left out of it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think things are panning out that way. Anyways, probably enough off topic discussion I think haha, as fun as it is to actually talk about Eva again during these trying times. I forget if you're on the Discord or not. Either way I'd like to discuss Eva with you again sometime when we've all watched the last movie. =)

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:27 pm

The Dragon Mask wrote:That's good to hear. To be honest I need to give the whole thing a watch sometime soon to give it a fair shake. I dabbled a bit with the first few episodes and the ending(s) and I have to say that new Shinji objectively sounds pretty good. Maybe even a near perfect match for Megumi in the EoE kitchen scene with Asuka.

Just to be clear, I was mostly referring to subs. I've compared a number of translations in their entirety, pretty much line-by-line, and overwhelmingly I tend to prefer the Netflix translation. I don't enjoy watching dubbed anime, so my experience with Eva dubs is comparatively very limited, though from what I've heard it's the same story - the Netflix one is superior.

The Dragon Mask wrote:Anyways, probably enough off topic discussion I think haha, as fun as it is to actually talk about Eva again during these trying times. I forget if you're on the Discord or not.

I am on the Discord, but not super active. And yes, this is probably a good time to get back on topic.

The Dragon Mask wrote:Either way I'd like to discuss Eva with you again sometime when we've all watched the last movie. =)

Here's hoping that'll be sooner rather than later.
:kaworu_thumbsup:

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:10 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:That being said, Funimation dubbed the first three Rebuild movies, so it would be weird if a new cast dubbed the final one. Unless Khara is intending to re-dub the first three, it will just seem awkward. I say let them finish their work.

Monumentally agree. Allison Keith at the bare minimum is essential IMO.

View Original PostJoseki wrote:With Funimation apparently losing the rights to all the previous Rebuild movies (they are no longer on their online shop), the chances of them finishing the series are pretty much 0 I think.

:sniffle: :unsure:

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:51 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote: :sniffle: :unsure:

N1CK0
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby N1CK0 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:11 am

Well people, unless Amazon Prime likes to announce things less than a week before, Easter Bunny will come only with eggs this year.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”