Mother, Silhouette, and the Episode #20 Dreamscape

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Mother, Silhouette, and the Episode #20 Dreamscape

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:08 pm

For a while now I've wanted to start a thread on the "Dreamscape" Shinji experiences while inside Eva-01 in Episode #20. I'm using the word "dreamscape" to refer to the dream-like, often jumbled up flashback scenes such as Rei's monologue(#14), Shinji in Leliel(#16), Shinji in Eva-01(#20), Asuka in Arael (#22), Rei in Armisael in (#23), the EoTV sequences in particular, and pre-3I and other scenes in The End of Evangelion. These tend to rely heavily on reused "BANK" images, that is, footage from previous episodes, along with a few new animations.

I wanted to go into detail on the episode #20 dreamscape, in particular aspects of it which relate to Shinji and Yui, and to Shinji and his parents in general.

But before beginning this, I need to focus on an important piece of visual symbolism which is used during the dreamscape, and which in effect gives the latter half its context. This symbolism involves
Yui, and Shinji's mental perception of her.

It is vital to recall that Shinji does not remember what Yui looks like. We are told this explicitly at the graveyard in #15.
Episode #15 wrote:[wkimg]15_C123c.jpg[/wkimg]

Shinji:
It just hasn't sunk in that Mother is resting here.
I don't even remember her face.

Shinji really doesn't remember Yui. The best mental image he has is first shown in Episode #16. A vague silhouette, her face featureless, leaning down to speak to him.

Epiosde #16 wrote:
[wkimg]16_C257_big.jpg[/wkimg]

[wkimg]16_C256c.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]16_C257.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]16_C258.jpg[/wkimg]

The third, desaturated image of a young Shinji is similar to the iconic image of Shinji crying by the train tracks, and shows that this silhouette is -- at least based on -- a real memory of his. This desaturation is also seen during one of the "flash sequences" in this same dreamscape.
Memory desaturation  SPOILER: Show

Original images from #21'
[wkimg]21_C166b.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]21_C172f.jpg[/wkimg]

Desaturated memories in #20
[wkimg]20_C108a.jpg[/wkimg][wkimg]20_C108c.jpg[/wkimg]

If I had to guess, given the strong sunlight and tree combination, I would say that the silhouette of Yui is a memory from the Ashinoko lakeside seen in #21' and EoE. A place where Shinji was taken to play perhaps? But I digress.
Lake Ashinoko Tree  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]21_C334.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]21_C343d.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]21_C345e.jpg[/wkimg]

It's worth noting here that, rather poignantly, the infant Shinji pats Yui face.

So, the only memory Shinji has of Yui is this indistinct silhouette. Less of a memory than a impression; a single image snapshot of infancy. The fact that he cannot remember her face makes Shinji's final parting with Yui in EoE all the more poignant, as it is the only time he ever "consciously" gets to see her face.
Shinji's and Yui's final parting  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]M26_Yui_Caress_interstice.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]M26_Yui_Face_interstice.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg width=426]M26 Shinji Yui Interstice.jpg[/wkimg]

Note that Yui's caress here mirrors the infant Shinji's patting in #21'

(This is one of the things that make Fuyutsuki's photograph reveal in 3.0 so shocking, and a major break with precedent, but I digress again).

So, Shinji cannot remember Yui's face, and has only this bright, faceless silhouette as a (visual) memory or impression of her.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 pm

This highly backlit, faceless silhouette being Shinji's only mental image of Yui comes into play powerfully in his relationships with both Rei and in particular Misato.

This silhouette imagery is in fact linked to Misato again and again throughout the series. Most obviously we have the mirror to Yui's silhouette used in #16, when Misato opens the entry plug.
[wkimg:1nfl06po]16_C257.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po]
[wkimg:1nfl06po]16_C301b.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po] [wkimg:1nfl06po]16_C301c.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po]
This linking is an obvious visual simile, which connects Misato to Shinji's internal idea or understanding of "Mother (Yui)". With the later appearance of these image in Shinji's dreamscapes, we are being told in a deeply psychological way that Shinji regards Misato as mother.

But this is not the only instance of the silhouette imagery being connected to Misato. Indeed, the connections go all the way back to Episode #02, when Misato first takes on the role of "mother". The imagery appears intermittently thereafter.

When Misato first picks up Shinji in Hospital, she is silhouetted against the light as he looks up
[wkimg:1nfl06po]02_C059b.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po]

In an unusual cut, when Misato is driving Shinji home, as they exit the tunnel Misato is suddenly silhouetted by the glare of daylight.
[wkimg:1nfl06po]02_C076a.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po] [wkimg:1nfl06po]02_C076b.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po] [wkimg:1nfl06po]02_C076c.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po]

A second driving Silhouette occurs in #12 when Shinji is speaking to Misato about Asuka, and she to him about his worries over others' opinions.
[wkimg:1nfl06po]12_C075b.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po] [wkimg:1nfl06po]12_C075c.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po]

During Shinji's "Tadaima" moment entering the apartment in episode #02, Misato is faintly silhouetted by the light from behind her.
[wkimg:1nfl06po]02_C106a.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po]

The next is a very important instance. During Misato's praising of Shinji, she stands in the doorway silhouetted by the light outside. While Shinji is turned the other way here, this image later appears in the #16 dreamscape, suggesting that Shinji has internalised this moment.
[wkimg:1nfl06po]02_C340.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po] [wkimg:1nfl06po]02_C342.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po]

Another extremely important instance occurs during the prison scene in #04. Misato is strongly silhouetted throughout. This image appears again in both the #16 and #20 dreamscapes.
[wkimg:1nfl06po]04_C162.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po] [wkimg:1nfl06po]04_C164.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po] [wkimg:1nfl06po]04_C166.jpg[/wkimg:1nfl06po]

The later appearance of these silhouettes in Shinji's later dreamscapes shows his deep mental connection of Misato to the idea of mother.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 pm

A related visual connection can also be seen between Yui and Rei. However with Rei, in addition to the use of silhouette, Shinji is often simply not able to make out Rei's face.

The imagery of Rei facing away is a powerful mental connection to Yui. For Shinji, who cannnot remember what his mother looked like, Rei evokes Yui's memory most when she faces away from him. This will be very important later. But for now I'll list a few examples of this visual moniker.

When Shinji first sees Rei at school, her face is turned away, and she is lightly silhouetted by light from the window.
[wkimg:3kog1s07]03_C057.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]

After their "encounter" in #05, Shinji sees only Rei's back for the majority of their trip, including in particular their descent down the escalator.
[wkimg:3kog1s07]05_C226d.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]05_C231d.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]05_C237b.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]05_C238a.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]05_C252a.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]

During their talk about ties in #06, Rei is silhouetted against the moon, facing away from Shinji.
[wkimg:3kog1s07]06_C209.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]

During Episode #12, while Shinji asks Asuka about her reasons for piloting, the pilots are positioned in an unusual "orion's belt" configuration. Shinji again views Rei from behind.
[wkimg:3kog1s07]12_C191b.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]12_C193.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]

Two critical instances occur in episode #15. The first and most obvious occurs during the classroom cleaning. Shinji sees Rei wringing a cloth. She is slightly silhouetted by light, her face partially obscured. Shinji is visibly stunned by this particular image

[wkimg:3kog1s07]15_C035.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]15_C036.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]15_C037.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]

Later on, during the elevator scene, Shinji stands behind Rei, who never turns around. Note however that we the viewers do see Rei's face from the front, but Shinji does not.

[wkimg:3kog1s07]15_C058c.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]15_C061c.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]15_C062b.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]
[wkimg:3kog1s07]15_C068.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]

Going back a little, when Shinji encounters Rei at the hospital in #02, the corridor is deeply desaturated, not unlike the memory images frequently seen in the show
[wkimg:3kog1s07]02_C033.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]02_C036b.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]02_C037b.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]
This instance is important as it reoccurs in the hospital again, most noticably in #16 during Rei's "That's good for you" line, an exact repeat of Yui's words earlier. Shinji is again shocked by this particular instance.
[wkimg:3kog1s07]16_C314c.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]16_C318c.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]16_C319c.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]

One final instance worth noting is during the "Toji's hallucination" dreamscape. Rei is strongly silhouetted by the setting sun as she sits across from Shinji in the train. (I'm taking this scene as being a mental communication between Shinji and Rei which Toji has "overheard" somehow)
[wkimg:3kog1s07]19_C046a.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]19_C048.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07] [wkimg:3kog1s07]19_C050.jpg[/wkimg:3kog1s07]

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Note that I'm not suggesting here that silhouettes and turned backs in Evangelion should all be associated with Yui or motherhood. Indeed, there are several instances of silhouettes which have nothing to do with any such concept*.

Sometimes a silhouette is just a cigar  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]06_C168.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]06_C170.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]06_C178.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]06_C179.jpg[/wkimg]

[wkimg]08_C018b.jpg[/wkimg]

[wkimg]16_C151b.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]16_C152d.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]16_C155b.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]16_C182.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]16_C183.jpg[/wkimg]

[wkimg]21_C142.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]21_C263.jpg[/wkimg]

The real proof that these visual motifs are significant comes in their prominent reuse in the later dreamscapes. The motifs are used in #20 in particular in a very specific way which I'll elaborate on in future posts. Until then, I'd like to hear what people think about the above suggestions of visual monikers linking Yui with Misato and Rei.

* However, one set of silhouettes I'm still undecided on are the Gendo visions Rei-II sees in #06 and #23'. Should we connect these to the Yui images in some way. A debate in and of itself in a way.
Gendo Rei-II transition guide  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]06_C335b.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]06_C336c.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]23_374d.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]23_375a.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]23_376c.jpg[/wkimg]

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 pm

I had never noticed the parallel in episode 16, the silhouette looks almost the same, just inversed. So Shinji really sees Misato as a mother figure. Amazing!
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:47 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:* However, one set of silhouettes I'm still undecided on are the Gendo visions Rei-II sees in #06 and #23'. Should we connect these to the Yui images in some way. A debate in and of itself in a way.
Gendo Rei-II transition guide  SPOILER: Show

[wkimg]06_C335b.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]06_C336c.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]23_374d.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]23_375a.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]23_376c.jpg[/wkimg]
Aren´t these a visual motif that connect Gendo to Shinji and the shifting of loyalties in Rei 2 from Gendo to Shinji in Rei 3, ending ultimately in Rei 3´s rejection of Gendo in EoE?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:39 pm

I think the notion silhouettes are being used to communicate this is tenuous at best, given the many, many other uses of the technique throughout the show. This strikes me as a case of confirmation bias more than anything else, sometimes working directly against what's stated in the scene (in the scene with Rei at school Shinji specifically comments upon, and is struck by, Rei's actions at the time: "A mother's hands" or some such. We're being told explicitly about the association there, so trying to find symbolism in Rei's profile is missing the forest for the trees). You're also calling nearly any case of a character being backlit somehow a silhouette, which is overly broad and misleading.

If you can narrow it down to a specific style of images you might be on to something, but as is I'm seeing a grab bag of images with nothing much in common. Your sample set is far too broad.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:07 pm

The episode 16 blurred silhouette is on a par with my earliest memory of another person. How Anno might be encoding autobiography in the imagery is a potentially fascinating topic, were there any firm data.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:14 pm

The pose is also important. The vague mother figure, Asuka, and the giant of light from the SI flashback are all posed the same way.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:23 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The pose is also important. The vague mother figure, Asuka, and the giant of light from the SI flashback are all posed the same way.

True, and I find that very telling for OMF's hypothesis. I don't think anyone would ever argue that Asuka is a mother figure for Shinji, for example. I suspect quite a bit more is going on there, but in terms of basic storytelling and of symbolism.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Asuka's main role is as an atagonist to Shinji's sublimated obsession with his mother, which is why the only overtly romantic overture she makes to him also includes a slight directed at her.

She's silhouetted against the sun, so it's part of a larger framework. Rei is Persephone in winter, Asuka is Persephone in summer. The difference between them suggests the phases of a man's life, going from domination (in a sense of singular importance, not necessarily control) by his mother to domination by an object of romantic love and sexual desire. As a man's world is illuminated by the sun and moon, his life revolves around growing up under the influence of the First Other until she can no longer fulfill his needs and he moves on to a romantic partner- signified by the sun, the source of life, as romance and sex are the source of future generations, and night (the moon) both follows and precedes day (the sun) in an endless cycle of growth and change.

The imagery of the moon is also associated with water, and the last time Shinji sees Yui, in an inversion of the cheek touching from the flashback, they are submerged. The moon in this sense represents the first glimpse of light that a child sees as they emerge from the womb, from a life in water into a life in air.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:Aren't these a visual motif that connect Gendo to Shinji and the shifting of loyalties in Rei 2 from Gendo to Shinji in Rei 3, ending ultimately in Rei 3's rejection of Gendo in EoE?
That's probably a topic for another day! But for now I just want to focus on Yui imagery. A direct connection between the Gendo images and Yui seems unlikely, but may be present from a much wider imagery/themeatic perspective.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:If you can narrow it down to a specific style of images you might be on to something, but as is I'm seeing a grab bag of images with nothing much in common. Your sample set is far too broad.
Presented as they are, I can see that these images are a little vague, and their connection to Yui is not immediately evident. The real proof of the connection only comes from the dreamscape images, which I have not yet discussed.

For now, I should simply say three things:
1. Shinji only remembers a vague impression or silhouette of Yui
2. That the (light/strong) silhouette imagery occurs with Misato on several occasions, and
3. That Shinji often sees Rei from behind, or turned away from him(her classic pose).

I needed to make these three seperate points before moving onto the dreamscape. I may have gotten a little ahead of things. Nevertheless, I'll make slight connections between these points before presenting the main evidence.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The episode 16 blurred silhouette is on a par with my earliest memory of another person. How Anno might be encoding autobiography in the imagery is a potentially fascinating topic, were there any firm data.

I wasn't going to say anything about this, but I also feel that this type of imagery is very close to my own earliest memories. The desaturated nature of the images in particular, their lack of edge focus in some cases, the featureless faces, and to some extent the high contrast remind me very much of my earliest memories. It would be interesting to find out if early memories are like this for everyone.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:44 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:For now, I should simply say three things:
1. Shinji only remembers a vague impression or silhouette of Yui
2. That the (light/strong) silhouette imagery occurs with Misato on several occasions, and
3. That Shinji often sees Rei from behind, or turned away from him(her classic pose).

The problem is that all of that is so vague that it doesn't mean anything on its own. You can say it supports other themes, sure, but that's no more significant than noting any other recurring pattern in the show. You need those to portray characters consistently, and just like the characters themselves they mean many different things. IOW I think the things you mention are supportive of the rather obvious themes to Misato's and Rei's characters, but they are not particularly strong indicators on their own and nor are they solely used for that purpose.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:12 pm

This feels like you're trying far too hard to sell a fairly simple idea, OMF. We don't really NEED screencaps to accept that both Misato and Rei have a symbolic connection to Yui and motherhood from Shinji's perspective.

I assume this is building towards saying that the many images of Rei/Misato talking to Shinji while he's in an altered state of mind in the eva is actually Yui trying to communicate and his mind being unable to properly identify her?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sirona
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sirona » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:45 am

I assume this is building towards saying that the many images of Rei/Misato talking to Shinji while he's in an altered state of mind in the eva is actually Yui trying to communicate and his mind being unable to properly identify her?

You know, I find this theory highly satisfying.

Gendo Rei-II transition guide
SPOILER: Show

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

The two different images of Gendo... are these both from Rei's POV? Are either of them potentially from Yui's POV?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:12 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Going back a little, when Shinji encounters Rei at the hospital in #02, the corridor is deeply desaturated, not unlike the memory images frequently seen in the show
[wkimg]02_C033.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]02_C036b.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]02_C037b.jpg[/wkimg]
This instance is important as it reoccurs in the hospital again, most noticably in #16 during Rei's "That's good for you" line, an exact repeat of Yui's words earlier. Shinji is again shocked by this particular instance.
[wkimg]16_C314c.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]16_C318c.jpg[/wkimg] [wkimg]16_C319c.jpg[/wkimg]

Going Silhoette = Yui by default is probably going too far - Silhuoettes can simply be dramatic, or make for a "timed reveal" - ioe, you show something, have the viewer guess/create tension, and then show what it is.

EVERYTHING is the hospital is desaturated (Even Asuka, on the few times we see her there in eps 16 and 19) so I doubt the scenes where Rei is have any particular meaning; It's just an easthetic choice the made, perhaps to accentuate the dream-like surreality of waking up in such a place after lovecraftian experiences like being in a Berserking EVA; it's probably related more to the hospital than Rei.

Rei being turned away a lot probably indicates "distance" beyond anything else - that, and Rei is kind of unaware of the social convention of looking at people when you speak to them.
There's never any image of Yui facing away, or Rei appearing "faceless" - and why would Yui ever face away from anyone like that? She's a bold, fearless mad scientist, not a socially inept schoolgirl.
The ep 02 example is an obvious callback to Rei getting wheeled past Shinji in ep 01 - except now she's looking at him, because he went and picked her off the floor.
Before, she stared past him, because he didn't mean anything to her yet - that alone should put a nail through that "residue of Yui" theory - wouldn't her prized crotchfruit be the first thing Yui would react to?
That's not even a question. She moves EVA 01's hand's to protect him from those iron bars in the very same scene.

Also, Rei only looks like Yui. We know her soul came from somewhere else, and we know just where Yui currently is. She may have some of her genetic characteristics like little gestures like how she holds things, and she obviously inherited her intelligence and talent for biology, and Rei's future plans, if she actually had the freedom to make some, would probably look somewhat like Yui's (Do something with teh scientific talent, or maybe babies), but the whole point of Rei is that she's a person of her own with experiences and feelings of her own, regardless of whatever macabre ingredients she was created from.
They have completely different personalities. Yui is a highly ambitious, calculating mastermind with unshakeable serenitym, something of a "perfect prodigy", who never confided all her secrets to anyone. And she was hardly a better parent than Gendo. She, too, abandoned him for what she thought was his own good, and planned to make him a child soldier *from the beginning*, while Gendo did it as a last-resort kind of thing. (His series incarnation, at least; Rebuild Gendo's a different story, but even here, Yui was in on the plan.)
She may even have been perfectly justified in sacrificing parenting her son for a better chance to work for the better of humanity's future, but that doesn't change that she did sacrifice her role as a mother; The Ikaris hardly did any parenting at all. Sure, she tries to protect him once or twice, but so did Gendo, in equally traumatizing ways.
Acting in a manner that can as much as be mistaken for good parenting should make her LESS Yui-like, not more. If you still insist that Rei is merely the sum of her parts, blame anything resembling good parenting on Lillith.
Misato, for all her faults and failings, trumps Yui and Gendo at parenting at any given day.
Rei, by contrast, is "a bitterly unhappy young girl with little sense of presence", quiet and socially inexperienced, but still rather caring, loyal and devoted, if she wants to be. She has way more in common with Gendo (who raised her after all) than she does with Yui.
Her relationship with Shinji is a completely different one, that between two lonely teenagers who are stuck in similar hard situations and were able to exchange a little of meaningful wamth in a living hell - A parent-child bond in an unequal, symbiotic thing - one's the parent, one's the child.
Shinji cares for or gets protective about Rei just as often as she does about him.
Parents do not want to "become one" with their children - they want them to leave the nest and produce grandkids. That embrace that manifested in that armisael tentacle and is identified by Rei as the work of her heart does not look motherly at all... Even the damn proposal already introduces her as "learned about feelings when she falls in love".
Why is Shinji's reaction to the revelation utter shock?
Because her having anything to do with his freakin mom doesn't fit his idea or relationship with her at all. He doesn't go, "Oh, that's why I always fenlt so comfortable around her" and start calling her "Mommy" or anything.

Of course, it makes sense that he would faintly associate someone acting maternal towards him (Misato) with his actual mother, or take some half-concious notice of Yui's and Rei's obvious physical similarities, but that's really all there is to it, those are the only common denominators.

You have to consider the kind of image Shinji has of Yui - He grew up hearing he was the son of a murderer, that he's got a bit of a muderer in him, and he had this distant father he felt rejected by, and that absent mother who was, in a way, a complete blank slate he could project things into. She wasn't there, what little memories he has of her probably show her doing regular mom things like cleaning, because these are the bits that Shinji would be present for, so it was easy to imagine this perfect loving mother as a sort of survival mechanism.
Shinji has this idea that he had this caring mom who actually loved him, untill bad, bad Gendo came and took her away, and probably never loved her or Shinji to begin with. A black and white view constructed by a confused toddler. He gets to reevaluate Gendo soon enough, but Yui is kind of not present to be reevaluated, so Shinji kinda keeps that idealized view of her, depending on continuity, for good (EoE has no relevant calling-out there, not that he's in any state to do so), untill episode 25 ("Why do I always need to fight? Tell me why! MOTHER!"...they seem to part on good terms in 26, but he also ends up thanking Gendo, presumably because intstrumentality let him see their intentions, and they are, after all, only humans who thought they were doing the best for both their kid and humanity, in their own twisted ways. It's not like Shinji's in any position to look down on them.) or Q ("Father... Mother... Misato-san... [...] I can't trust [any of them] anymore!") but the truth is that Yui's a fairly grey, multilayed figure (so are Misato, Asuka and Rei) and more of an active mastermind than a victim of Gendo's or anything like that. Both the idealized mother figure from his memories and the frightening EVa 01 are the same thing. Just like the woman who wanted Kaji to fuck her real hard in these memories he witnessed and the lady trying to parent him a bit are the same people. Or like Asuka also cries for her mommy at times. Or like Rei did come from the same place as those scary desintegrating clone things. Same lesson, ultimately.
The conclusion he reaches is that they're still the people he really cared about, and that he wants tzo be with them again, so he undoes Instrumentality. Yeah.
An aspect of Shinji that's more pronounced in the manga, but still present in the manga is that he probably reacts so much to his parents being badmouthed because he doesn't know enough about them to confidently defend them; He's always doubting Gendo himself.

To further contribute to the potif-spotting, I'd like to mention, however, that the Yui Silhouette Shinji sees in ep 16 also touches his cheek - I always thought the EoE thing was a callback to that. the face-patting is just... yeah, babies do that.
The silhouette we see here has long wavy hair and pronounces curves (in contrast to Yui's short, straight, more voluminous hair and her "long/elegant/elvish" figure .) - Shinji just identified something, be it a smell or a "presence" or something, as "Mommy" - the image he sees is probably his brain constructing a "generic female silhouette", because that's what mommies look like, don't they? You could say that he's filling in the bits he can't remember with Misato.

Or when he finally picks up that this weird smell inside EVA 01 is, in fact, Yui. His first guess is someone he associates with "maternal", (like Yui), namely, Misato, the next one is someone whose smell is probably actually similar to Yui's, but still distinguishable (Rei), and then he hits upon the solution. ("Mommy! It's you!")

View Original PostSirona wrote:You know, I find this theory highly satisfying.

The two different images of Gendo... are these both from Rei's POV? Are either of them potentially from Yui's POV?

Yui's Pov? With the beard? I doubt it. The conspicous lack of glasses suggests that the second one is a literal memory from when he saved her after the failed activation experiment, or, at least, evoking it (if this is, in fact, her transistion guide) and the second one... that's just how Rei sees him, as her guardian/surrogate father, and a person who cares for her (in the context of that scene, she just noticed that someone else does, too.) He often smiles when conversing with her (see ep 5, and 15)

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I wasn't going to say anything about this, but I also feel that this type of imagery is very close to my own earliest memories. The desaturated nature of the images in particular, their lack of edge focus in some cases, the featureless faces, and to some extent the high contrast remind me very much of my earliest memories. It would be interesting to find out if early memories are like this for everyone.

No, no, Anno depicted that correctly here. Mine are similar.
In my personal earliest memory, I have more substantial perceptions of my mom's dress and her hair than her face. I always took the desaturation as sunlight or something...
Maybe it's something about how the brain archieves images, or learns to do so.

They're also always image-images, images reconstructed from words come later. So maybe that's why they get "filled out"/"completed" less than things stored earlier, appearing whited-out at the edges, because our brains mostly store outlines/edge detection, and a baby would have less of a concept of where edges should be that separate some things from others. Dunno. Not a neurologist or psychologist.
I did read somewhere that our brains do use edge detection, though.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”