Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Shamsiel-kun
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Gundam (In All Its Incarnations) Mk. II

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat May 23, 2020 12:05 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:^ Yeah, I read about how in particular Loran ends up with Dianna instead of Sochie which didn't sit right with her last time we see her in the show. Tomino really cannot write good romance to save his hide!

Is it as bad as in Zeta Gundam where characters fall in love in less than an episode to have the female half end up dead somewhere along the way, and where there are recurrent discussions between characters about men and women where no matter who the characters are the women always spew nonsense about (not) being able to be women and complaining about male characters not letting them be themselves and the males spewing more nonsense about which gender should do what? It became especially ironic when one (female) character complained about men only thinking in traditional roles and being sexist after she talked at length about such roles for herself... :facepalm:

The only good romance in Zeta had both halves end up dead... :sniffle:

Other lessons learned from Zeta:
- Don't date female (Cyber-)Newtypes. They're all nuts.
- Don't skimp on investing in good locks for your rooms/cells/hangars/command centers/Mobile Suits.
- If a character shows repeated tendencies to fuck up in major ways, don't keep them piloting your mecha. Bonus points if the fuck up in question involves spying and/or defecting to the other side.
- But do invest in some research on Newtype powers, so you can be genre-savvy about their reactions instead of keeping guessing all the time.
- Also do the research on how this "plot" armor thing works. And fire the imbeciles that designed armor that withstands massive damage in one episode while it fails from minor fire in the next.

It's also quite amazing how if an ace pilot dies everyone has psychological issues, but they don't get those issues when the rookies piloting the grunt mechs die by the dozens (well, except if your name is Jerid).
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Blockio
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Is it as bad as in Zeta Gundam where characters fall in love in less than an episode to have the female half end up dead somewhere along the way, and where there are recurrent discussions between characters about men and women where no matter who the characters are the women always spew nonsense about (not) being able to be women and complaining about male characters not letting them be themselves and the males spewing more nonsense about which gender should do what? It became especially ironic when one (female) character complained about men only thinking in traditional roles and being sexist after she talked at length about such roles for herself... :facepalm:

Not at all actually, it's just that it felt kinda flat and anticlimactic
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Justacrazyguy
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:22 pm

I think some of the fast developing romance in Zeta can at least partially be blamed on the fact that a few of the characters are Newtypes and Cyber newtypes and can thus skip some steps and be in love really fast; and as such you can excuse it with newtype magic nonsense. Can't say it bothered me much when I saw Zeta, but it's easy to see how it could bother some.

And I'm going to disagree in the ending of Turn A being rushed. Unlike some other Tomino anime, it actually gets a small epilogue. That said Tomino doesn't seem to be a fan of long conclusions. Once the conflict is over the anime he makes end quickly with little celebration.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Gus Hanson
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat May 23, 2020 2:50 pm

I remember in the original MSG trilogy ending where Amuro is reunited with the escaping White Base crew and the peace treaty between the Federation and Zeon is only mentioned in narration, roll credits. :tongue:
"What kind of drugs do you take?!" - Lisa (The Room)

Blockio
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat May 23, 2020 5:56 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:And I'm going to disagree in the ending of Turn A being rushed. Unlike some other Tomino anime, it actually gets a small epilogue. That said Tomino doesn't seem to be a fan of long conclusions. Once the conflict is over the anime he makes end quickly with little celebration.

I'm not just talking about the epilogue itself; the last few episodes in general were comparably surface level in favor of moving the plot along, I wish they had gne into more detail there especially for the last fight;
SPOILER: Show
there was some serious potential to hammer home just how apocalyptic the Moonlight Butterfly really is if they had just spent a bit more time on showing its effects;

Also the whole Commander Phil arc just kinda ended up not going anywhere
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Blockio
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon May 25, 2020 8:04 pm

I watched the first episode of G Reco just now - is this what drugs feel like

In the most literal sense of the word, every single line of dialogue in there felt like it was written by a neural network. What the fuck is this show.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be a long 26 episodes

EDIT: Ep2 was surprisingly alright. Dunno what went wrong in the first one, but it went wrong hard

Return to “Anime and Manga”