Remake / Sequel Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
michaelovan
Embryo

[SPOILERS] Remake / Sequel Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby michaelovan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 pm

I just got back from EVA 3.0 and, while my Japanese is by no means fluent,

SPOILER: Show
I'm pretty confident that, in a discussion between Shinji and Kaoru, descending below the Geofront, Kaoru confirms the suspicion that ROE is a sequel. He says something to the effect of this (third impact) having happened before, alluding to millions upon millions of skulls resting on the earth, far below the Geofront.

I think that it's still arguable that it isn't a sequel, by the way. Kaoru doesn't straight up say, "Hey, Shinji, you already caused third impact a long time ago in another dimension, remember?" Kaoru is an Angel and, as such, I think a certain amount of omnipotence can be awarded to him.

The person I saw the film with, my Japanese fiancé who has no interest in Eva, kind of confirmed what I thought I had heard, but just in case we were mistaken, please feel free to clarify.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks for that.

Now I'm waiting for LiLi's two cents

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Remake / Sequel Discussion (SPOILERS)

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:31 pm

View Original Postmichaelovan wrote:
He says something to the effect of this (third impact) having happened before, alluding to millions upon millions of skulls resting on the earth, far below the Geofront.

Which could be speaking of what happened to the FAR-equivalent in this alternate, whose remains are entombed in their vessel, which in the primary timeline we knew as the Black Moon.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks a lot. I'm waiting for some other comments from people who saw it that could clarify this thing. It looks interesting.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

michaelovan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby michaelovan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Yeah, I would love for another set of eyes and ears!

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:43 pm

He says something to the effect of this (third impact) having happened before, alluding to millions upon millions of skulls resting on the earth, far below the Geofront.

Based on what has been said everywhere, those are Eva skulls. Too big to be human.

Im wondering maybe if there was a Earth populated by being like Eva that were wiped out at some stage.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:53 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Based on what has been said everywhere, those are Eva skulls. Too big to be human.

Don't look a whole lot like Eva heads. Evas have really narrow heads with eyes spaced further to the sides of the head and proportionately bigger teeth.

Then, they did make the mistake of giving a prototype Eva an effectively homonoid skull in EoE, so maybe I'm giving khara too much credit here.

At the OP, the scenario represented, wherein Impacts result in giant skulls accumulating in Central Dogma, has no precedent in NGE canon. So Kaworu's comment would, yet again, only have bearing on the history of NME's universe.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

michaelovan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby michaelovan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:55 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Based on what has been said everywhere, those are Eva skulls. Too big to be human.

Could be. But looked very, very human to me. I'll have to watch it again!

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:01 pm

2nd row, left hand side. Eva's feet/legs no? SO if you bear in mind that an Eva's foot is bigger than a car, then if not actual eva skulls, they are the remnants of something eva-sized.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Or they could have fucked up proportions even though they're working with digital animation, who knows.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Choo1701
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Choo1701 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:06 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Don't look a whole lot like Eva heads. Evas have really narrow heads with eyes spaced further to the sides of the head and proportionately bigger teeth.

Then, they did make the mistake of giving a prototype Eva an effectively homonoid skull in EoE, so maybe I'm giving khara too much credit here.

Well using human skulls (lots of skulls by the looks of it) is a lot more symbolic, and easier for the audience to connect too than whatever an Evangelion skull looks like.
And what is that? - Username
Sequels. - Hyper Shinchan

--- Welcome to the bottom of this post. We really hope you enjoyed your stay ---

Grub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Grub » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Maybe they're all skulls from reincarnations of the same eva-sized entity?
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:07 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Or they could have fucked up proportions even though they're working with digital animation, who knows.

Not really beliavable IMO

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:18 pm

View Original PostChoo1701 wrote:Well using human skulls (lots of skulls by the looks of it) is a lot more symbolic, and easier for the audience to connect too than whatever an Evangelion skull looks like.

Honestly, an (accurate) Eva skull wouldn't look different enough from a human skull for the symbolism to be lost in any significant way. Eva heads are fundamentally distorted human heads, and their skulls would be distorted human skulls. The human skull is nothing if not an incredibly flexible icon.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:22 pm

But isnt that only based on data from NGE? We've not seen anything in rebuild to confirm this AFAICR.

I'll happily plump for 'eva-sized beings' for now :)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:49 pm

From what I've seen so far, it has occurred to me that it's possible that the series is neither a perfect loop (a "groundhog day") nor a direct sequel (because that's stupid) but an imperfect time loop where certain events resonate with each other (Bardiel still happens, but the circumstances are different) and junk from the last iteration survives or manifests somehow (all of the clues/references) or is drawn into being by a sort of existential inertia.

If this is the case, I don't expect a direct, explicit confirmation.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Kodaemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kodaemon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:01 pm

This has been my interpretation pretty much from the beginning - NGE happened, in another timeline/dimension/whatever, and "echoes" of those events influence the current Rebuild reality.

I get lumped with the silly literalist sequel theorists anyway.
just a signature

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Something that's been vaguely acknowledged here and there but never really discussed outright is the possibility that the NTE has nothing to do with NGE/EoE but is still a loop within its own right. I mean, I don't really see evidence for that, either (apart from some of Kaworu's lines), but it's nevertheless possible to have repeating events without need for a sequel proper.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:09 pm

View Original PostKodaemon wrote:This has been my interpretation pretty much from the beginning - NGE happened, in another timeline/dimension/whatever, and "echoes" of those events influence the current Rebuild reality.

I get lumped with the silly literalist sequel theorists anyway.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Something that's been vaguely acknowledged here and there but never really discussed outright is the possibility that the NTE has nothing to do with NGE/EoE but is still a loop within its own right. I mean, I don't really see evidence for that, either (apart from some of Kaworu's lines), but it's nevertheless possible to have repeating events without need for a sequel proper.

They exist as separate fictions, full of intertextual references, callbacks, and echoes of each other.

They exist as separate dimensions, full of echoes of each other, similar events, eddies in the flow that show up concurrently within the two.

These are in essence the same thing, especially given that EoE is full of imagery that acknowledges itself as a fiction, and especially in light of the high school comedy AU that appears within the series itself.

To use the musical metaphor that infuses the series, Rebuild Shinji is not his predecessor in a direct way, they're the same song in a different key.

I find it fascinating that the fandom and fans of this sort of material in general have so much interest and difficult working these things out. If a novelist writes multiple drafts of his book, what is their relationship to each other? Do the characters live in parallel universes, or a time loop?

Is that what's happening here?

"Is it a sequel or not" is too restricted and literalist a question. I'd rather bend my mind.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gekusu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gekusu » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Regarding the skulls:
That is an Eva leg in the picture. And yes, there are a LOT of skulls - as well as floating corpses that are probably more Eva-like than human. There is mention of 1st Impact if I'm not mistaken. Due to this, I also think that perhaps the scene is indicating that there was pre-human race to which the skulls and corpses could belong. Presumably 1st Impact wiped out this race.

As for what that means in terms of sequel or not, I don't know. I just see Rebuild as a separate entity from the series until it is concluded and we can piece everything together. I'm just happy for more official material, even if we don't really understand how it all works...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”