Unit 01 in the Volcano

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Unit 01 in the Volcano

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 am

In order to get to Sandalphon, Unit 02 had to be fitted with D-Type Equipment for it to survive the environment the volcano posed. After the Angel is taken care of and Unit 02 starts falling after having it's line cut, Unit 01 appears without such equipment and rescues Unit 02. Wouldn't Unit 01 have burned alive going in without a similar suit or was it just an oversight that wasn't corrected?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Unit 01 in the Volcano

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:In order to get to Sandalphon, Unit 02 had to be fitted with D-Type Equipment for it to survive the environment the volcano posed. After the Angel is taken care of and Unit 02 starts falling after having it's line cut, Unit 01 appears without such equipment and rescues Unit 02. Wouldn't Unit 01 have burned alive going in without a similar suit or was it just an oversight that wasn't corrected?

Apparently his ATF was going into overdrive, 'cause there's no other explanation for how he wasn't incinerated.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:53 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:In order to get to Sandalphon, Unit 02 had to be fitted with D-Type Equipment for it to survive the environment the volcano posed. After the Angel is taken care of and Unit 02 starts falling after having it's line cut, Unit 01 appears without such equipment and rescues Unit 02. Wouldn't Unit 01 have burned alive going in without a similar suit or was it just an oversight that wasn't corrected?

Unit-02 needed the D-Type Equipment to go to the depth where Sandalphon was, where the temperature and pressure are greater. When Unit-01 dove in to get Unit-02, it had already risen up the shaft of the volcano to a lesser depth, where the temperature and pressure were enough for Unit-01's regular armor to handle.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:18 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Unit-02 needed the D-Type Equipment to go to the depth where Sandalphon was, where the temperature and pressure are greater. When Unit-01 dove in to get Unit-02, it had already risen up the shaft of the volcano to a lesser depth, where the temperature and pressure were enough for Unit-01's regular armor to handle.

This. It's more due to pressure than anything else.

So kids, what this means is that an Evangelion is capable of withstanding temperatures (at least briefly) of 700 °C to 1300 °C (or 1300 °F to 2400 °F). This isn't surprising considering that an Eva can survive an N2 explosion unscathed, which is comparable to a nuclear blast.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Sci-fi immersion bullshit explanation: An Eva can take a few seconds of a blast from Ramiel that will liquefy a mountain, it can take a dip in a volcano for a bit.

Real reason: The power of Shinji's love for Asuka overcame the might of the volcano.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:25 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:An Eva can take a few seconds of a blast from Ramiel that will liquefy a mountain, it can take a dip in a volcano for a bit.

There's also kinetic energy to be considered, but I'm curious if there's some sort of scientific information about how hot a positron beam would be.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:40 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:There's also kinetic energy to be considered, but I'm curious if there's some sort of scientific information about how hot a positron beam would be.

Well, the positron beam is about as science-fitctiony as you can get. Positrons annihilate instantly on contact with matter/electrons, so there's no way of firing a beam of them through atmosphere. To study the effects you could safely replace it with a beam of electrons (not sure why they didn't do this in the first place) since they have the same mass. Accelerated electrons move at near light-speed, so you probably wouldn't want to be in the way when one of those fires off. You're probably talking about temperatures on the order of millions of degrees.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:03 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Positrons annihilate instantly on contact with matter/electrons, so there's no way of firing a beam of them through atmosphere.

Yup, I recall reading this.

The late Joe Bankhead, former USNS Electronics Tech 1st Class/Reactor Operator, commented upon the positron cannon employed by NERV against Angel Ramiel. Bankhead noted that while a stream of positrons might be a practical weapon in the vacuum of space, where normal matter in the path of the beam would be tenuous, a positron beam used in Earth's atmosphere would be "the equivalent of putting the barrel of your grenade launcher right up against a wall and then pulling the trigger... The matter/antimatter reaction, in other words, would start to occur within nanometers once the positrons leave the (presumed) magnetic containment field within the barrel. Boom."

http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_horn11.php

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Probably a combination of the Eva's AT field and robust biology. It won't be the first or last time Shinji is willing to put himself willingly into extremely physically painful or dangerouc circumstances for someone else, either, so it's quite possible that it wasn't as casual an experience as it appeared from Asuka's point of view.

Kinda good to have someone like that in your corner.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:50 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:This. It's more due to pressure than anything else.

So kids, what this means is that an Evangelion is capable of withstanding temperatures (at least briefly) of 700 °C to 1300 °C (or 1300 °F to 2400 °F). This isn't surprising considering that an Eva can survive an N2 explosion unscathed, which is comparable to a nuclear blast.

This.
There's a difference between the depht Asuka ended up in and being relatively near the surface, which EVA 01 probably could take since it has proven to be quite explosion-proof.

For what it's worth, EVA 01's eyes were glowing brightly, perhapbs signifying the ATF being pushed to its limits - in any case, there's high chance that this was probably more painful than it looked from Asuka's pov - He doesn't reply to her, probably because he was busy gritting his teeth.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:13 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:For what it's worth, EVA 01's eyes were glowing brightly, perhapbs signifying the ATF being pushed to its limits - in any case, there's high chance that this was probably more painful than it looked from Asuka's pov - He doesn't reply to her, probably because he was busy gritting his teeth.

This as well. It's suspense followed by a deus ex machina of sorts from the audience's shared perspective with Asuka, but there's an untold story left out that results in Shinji's dive into the volcano to save her. Was it a brave, impulsive decision on his part? That would be almost out of character for him had this not been during the "action" arc of the series. Or had he needed a motivational speach from Misato, as per usual?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:20 pm

I would thinks it would be a mix of feelings for Asuka(what ever they are)and also his sense of duty to a teammate. early on of course
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:21 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:That would be almost out of character for him had this not been during the "action" arc of the series. Or had he needed a motivational speach from Misato, as per usual?

Dunno. When someone stands to be hurt, Shinji will usually put his balls on the chopping block, even if he doesn't like it. I mean, protecting another is what got him in the Eva in the first place. When it comes down to risking his bacon to protect innocents, Shinji's pretty reliable right up until End of Evangelion, once he's actually in the Eva.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 am

I guess what we've been thinking of the positron beam is actually the radius of annihilation effect generated by a nuclear (in the middle of) stream of positrons.

A better question might be how these beams didn't give everyone on the planet aggressive cancer. Seems a safe bet that the kinetic energy involved made this a high energy case...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron%E2%80%93positron_annihilation#High_energy_case

What a great coda that would be for the series:
After preventing Third Impact and finding the true meaning of Christmas, everyone died from ball cancer on account of something that happened in episode 5 (or was it 6?)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:09 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:What a great coda that would be for the series:
After preventing Third Impact and finding the true meaning of Christmas, everyone died from ball cancer on account of something that happened in episode 5 (or was it 6?)

Maybe this is why Third Impact was inevitable and necessary -- so that all the people could resurrect in new, ball-cancerless bodies!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:12 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Maybe this is why Third Impact was inevitable and necessary -- so that all the people could resurrect in new, ball-cancerless bodies!

Maybe this is why EGF users are so keen on the Movember thing!
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:20 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:so there's no way of firing a beam of them through atmosphere.
Conservation of momentum would mean that the result was a somewhat directed gamma ray beam, with the beam width depending on the speed at which the positrons are projected. The emission would be omnidirectional in the centre of momentum frame, and aberration would collimate the beam to a degree dependent on the velocity of that frame relative to the firing platform.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:34 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Conservation of momentum would mean that the result was a somewhat directed gamma ray beam, with the beam width depending on the speed at which the positrons are projected. The emission would be omnidirectional in the centre of momentum frame, and aberration would collimate the beam to a degree dependent on the velocity of that frame relative to the firing platform.

As arkiel's Wikipedia link explained, if the positrons have enough kinetic energy, the annihilation would produce many heavy particles in addition to high-energy photons. Since it took the electrical energy of an entire country to power the positron rifle, we can safely assume that this is a high-energy case. It was probably those heavy particles that did most of the damage to Ramiel's AT Field and body.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

TheFlyingBeagle
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheFlyingBeagle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Well, I always thought EVA-02 was "an arm's lenght" from the volcano's upper lip when EVA-01 rescued it barehandedly.
I don't know exactly the ratio between depth-to-pressure on such case, but it's sure that, as deeper you go, the pressure builds up constantly. If EVA-02 was really close to the volcano's "mouth" for Shinji to rescue her bare-handed, pressure wouldn't be an issue.
Oh, and yes - if Shinji's EVA took Ramiel's hell-of-a-blast before sniping it back, what is a little lava-smudge? ;)
Insert your spiffy signature here (when you make one!).

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:30 pm

It's hard to say, because we don't have much sense of scale for just how powerful a shot from the positron rifle is (laying aside the wonky physics).

Rebuild at least shows us Ramiel using its own particle beam to vapourize half of a small mountain.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”