How did Asuka know about the Lance of Longinus?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nukie
Lilith

How did Asuka know about the Lance of Longinus?

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:18 pm

This has been bugging me ever since I watched End of Eva. Asuka calls the lance by name as it pierces her AT field, but how would she know about it? I assume that details about it were extremely classified; not even an Eva pilot would know it's name or how it looked.

The only way I can see her knowing about it would be when Rei throws it in episode 22, but she's being mindraped by Arael...I doubt she'd be paying attention to what's happening outside. Maybe this is a small detail, but it always seemed strange to me. Any thoughts?
-!

EveryoneGotTurnedIntoTang
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EveryoneGotTurnedIntoTang » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:00 pm

You do have a point here. The Lance of Longinus wasn't exactly public knowledge.

Maybe the fake Lance tore a plot hole in her AT Field? :lol:
Okay, so plot compression I can take. Maybeee the gratuitous fanservice too, though it's quite annoying and illogical (Why does Misato bring her phone into the shower?). But allowing Colonel Sanders to dress up as a cardboard copy of Lilith's legs? I'll never forgive you, Khara.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How did Asuka know about the Lance of Longinus?

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:13 pm

View Original PostNukie wrote:The only way I can see her knowing about it would be when Rei throws it in episode 22, but she's being mindraped by Arael...I doubt she'd be paying attention to what's happening outside. Maybe this is a small detail, but it always seemed strange to me. Any thoughts?

If she was even remotely curious as to what happened during the fight, she could have reviewed footage or something, it's not like they kept it under wraps during that battle:

Episode 22' wrote:Shinji:
But at this rate, Asuka will...

IKARI:
I don't care. Rei, go down into Dogma and use the Lance.

FUYUTSUKI:
The Lance of Longinus?!
Ikari, that is...

FUYUTSUKI (OFF):
That may be, but using the Lance of Longinus
without Seele's permission will be troublesome.

IKARI:
A reason need only exist. Anything beyond that is insignificant.

AOBA (OFF):
Unit 00 has passed through Number 2, emerging on surface.

Misato:
So, that's the Lance of Longinus.

AOBA (OFF):
Unit 00, prepared to throw.

HYUGA (OFF):
Target confirmed. Adjustment for errors made.

IBUKI:
Eva Unit 02 disengaged.

FUYUTSUKI:
What about the Lance of Longinus?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Far more curious is how she knows about the Eva series. I'm still wondering about that; my only guess is that, since at least some of them were probably produced in Germany's facilities, she might have caught wind of it back home. But it's still odd.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm

my theory is they were briefed about the Eva series off screen. Misato knew about them why would she not tell the kids
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:59 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:my theory is they were briefed about the Eva series off screen.

This is my thought about a lot of things in fiction. What we see of characters' lives isn't their entire lives. Just because we never see Ritsuko's apartment/home, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are briefings, tests, trainings, and interactions that occur, most of which would have no serious bearing on the plot, nevertheless they must occur, even if we don't see them.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:13 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:This is my thought about a lot of things in fiction. What we see of characters' lives isn't their entire lives. Just because we never see Ritsuko's apartment/home, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are briefings, tests, trainings, and interactions that occur, most of which would have no serious bearing on the plot, nevertheless they must occur, even if we don't see them.

That's certainly a valid point, but in this case it is plot-relevant information. Moreover, I'm not sure she ever had a chance to be briefed on the subject; I can't recall when Misato and Hyuga learned of the Eva series' development, but if it was after she left (or any point after her mindrape, really) she wouldn't be in a position to learn about it.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:20 pm

As I recall Misato learned about the eva series in episode 23 and also as I recall Asuka was living with Shinji and Misato at the beginning of episode 24 before she tried to commit suicide. So it is plausible that learned about it off screen within that time frame
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:43 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:As I recall Misato learned about the eva series in episode 23 and also as I recall Asuka was living with Shinji and Misato at the beginning of episode 24 before she tried to commit suicide. So it is plausible that learned about it off screen within that time frame

By this point in the series's emotional carnage, I can see her trying desperately to communicate what she's learned to the pilots, starting her sentences with the buzzwords (The LoL, the MPEs), only for her words to die out halfway through in the face of Asuka and Shinji's deafening silence.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

EveryoneGotTurnedIntoTang
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EveryoneGotTurnedIntoTang » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:58 pm

It could also be plausible that Asuka's synching with Kyoko's soul in Unit 02 caused her to come across that knowledge, since her synch ratio was extremely high during the MPE battle. Then again, we (which means I) don't know if synching involves memories.

Oh well, it was worth throwing this out there.
Okay, so plot compression I can take. Maybeee the gratuitous fanservice too, though it's quite annoying and illogical (Why does Misato bring her phone into the shower?). But allowing Colonel Sanders to dress up as a cardboard copy of Lilith's legs? I'll never forgive you, Khara.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's certainly a valid point, but in this case it is plot-relevant information.

Not especially. It doesn't affect anything whether she knows what it is or not. But what weapon Rei used to save her is not likely to be some big mystery from her. That knowledge circulating back to her probably happened off-screen, it's really not a big leap.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:As I recall Misato learned about the eva series in episode 23 and also as I recall Asuka was living with Shinji and Misato at the beginning of episode 24 before she tried to commit suicide. So it is plausible that learned about it off screen within that time frame

No, she left after . . . crap, after her mindrape, I think. She was released from quarantine and shortly thereafter had her confrontation with Shinji re: Kaji (as seen in Death and the DC edits). Then she was living with Hikari for awhile before she wandered around for a week and made her suicide attempt.

View Original PostEveryoneGotTurnedIntoTang wrote:It could also be plausible that Asuka's synching with Kyoko's soul in Unit 02 caused her to come across that knowledge, since her synch ratio was extremely high during the MPE battle. Then again, we (which means I) don't know if synching involves memories.

Oh well, it was worth throwing this out there.

Why would Kyoko know about them? It's not like anyone briefed the Evas! :lol:

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Not especially. It doesn't affect anything whether she knows what it is or not. But what weapon Rei used to save her is not likely to be some big mystery from her. That knowledge circulating back to her probably happened off-screen, it's really not a big leap.

Well, I'm with you on the Lance, like I said. But I'm not sure how info on the MPEs would circulate back to her; it's not like Misato would prep her for the Armisael battle by saying "oh, btw, they're building a bunch of mass produced evas!"

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:29 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No, she left after . . . crap, after her mindrape, I think. She was released from quarantine and shortly thereafter had her confrontation with Shinji re: Kaji (as seen in Death and the DC edits). Then she was living with Hikari for awhile before she wandered around for a week and made her suicide attempt.

So the coffee scene happened before the unit 00 self destruct? (if that is so then it confuses me that they did not put it in DC 23) I thought Hikari’s place was wiped out in that blast.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:So the coffee scene happened before the unit 00 self destruct? (if that is so then it confuses me that they did not put it in DC 23) I thought Hikari’s place was wiped out in that blast.

Why the confusion? Coffee scene, Asuka at Hikari's, battle with Armisael, Hikari's place wrecked, Asuka out wandering around. What part doesn't make sense?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:36 pm

We're led to believe that Asuka spends a substantial percentage of her time trying to hang around Kaji. Given the sorts of things Kensuke can find out from his nobody dad, the amount of things Asuka could have figured out from just poking around his office is probably a lot more than she ever lets on.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Additionally, as far as the MPE's go, she doesn't need to know any specifics at all about them, only that there were plans at some point to construct a mass production series of Evangelions, a logical step after a test-type, proto-type and production-type. When she sees them, it's not much of a logical jump to realize that those are Evangelions, and knowing that they planned to build MPE's, that they are the Eva Series. They're not Angels. Those are all dead.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:34 pm

I got the feeling she knew a bit more about them, but it's a minor point either way.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:00 am

I'm also of the opinion that it was an off-screen occurrence (her awareness of the Eva Series I mean) and that she was likely briefed over it some point before her 'sedation/coma' but after Misato learns about them.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:11 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I'm also of the opinion that it was an off-screen occurrence (her awareness of the Eva Series I mean) and that she was likely briefed over it some point before her 'sedation/coma' but after Misato learns about them.

Except she was MIA for that entire period. Azathoth's suggestion that she might have picked it up from hanging around Kaji is plausible, but the timeline doesn't work for any sort of proper briefing on the subject.

r0ach
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby r0ach » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:17 am

I don't see it being too hard to know about the Lance after that battle.
It was totally out in the open. It had been seen and used at that point. Also, she mentions being pretty pissed that "That little bitch, Rei" had saved her. How was she saved? By Rei throwing the Lance, so it is totally not a far stretch to see how Asuka would know.
yes she was being mind raped. and was fucked. But she had enough coherency to tell Misato that she wouldn't retreat. So, she probably had enough coherency to see the Lance at some point.

As far as the MP evas go. People in Nerv knew the Evas were apart of a series. As to what for exactly? They didn't know. Probably thought they were all there for backup. Better safe than sorry kind of deal. She may have not known how many Evas were being made, but seeing them in the sky, flying probably made her realize, oh hey, "The Eva series, they've been completed." Whatever Evas were being produced that i haven't seen yet are up there.

feel free to critique these silly theories of course peeps
"I knew a girl........... had a dozen guys. One of them found out about it, beat her up so bad she ended up in a hospital on Guerrero street."~ Mark

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”