Evangelion's Length

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:42 am

Dave wrote:My god, I could have gone the rest of my life without even wondering what those posts at the End of Eva were. And this is after what, 50 veiwings? I love this show. ^^
This is just one minor example of the idea that I mentioned in another thread, that a very significant amount of the plot points of Evangelion are communicated at a purely visual level.
Here is another example of that concept; as you can see, there is an obvious visual correlation between the scene in #24' where Shinji tells Asuka that Kaji is dead (and the brief shot in 'Death' of Asuka's reaction to that news), and the "Kitchen Scene" in the Instrumentality Sequence of #26' that ends with Shinji throttling Asuka. This is Anno's way of letting us know that in order to understand what is going on between Shinji and Asuka in the latter scene, you have to consider very carefully what went down with the two of them in the 'real life' scene in #24'...

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:54 pm

also the time discrepancy from thrid impact itself would have accounted for some confusion...
and i like ending A better...it sounds...i dunno...but it is definetly better than B....

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Umm...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:52 pm

How do we know he got there in the summer of 2015?
The only two dates I know of are "In the year of 2015"
And the anouncement that third Impact happened in 2016.

I think it happened over the span of one year or at least 10 months.
As for why we didn't see any school vacation, who's to say it didn't happen in between a pair of episodes?

As to how long they where on the beach, I'd say just long enough for Shinji to build the graves for his friends, Misato is the only grave we see but I'm sure he did more, and collapse wearily beside the unresponsive Asuka.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:55 am

when he arrives it is like the beginning of the school year... at least thats the impression that i got...
and the weather appears to be summer-like... very bright and sunny...then again post 2I everything is like that...

KamaKase
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KamaKase » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:39 pm

"I believe that it's actually December 20, 2012"

I've read that the people who said Dec 20th 2012 did the calculations wrong when fitting it into our method of time.
They said it was actually Oct 28th, 2011.

Then again. The Bible code is also supposed to say there will be a Nuclear holocaust (spl) in 2006. Meh.....

Hmmmm...those alt ends were interesting (on mdwigs' site. I missed that on my last initial perusal). Although I don't know what was wrong with the LA bit of Asuka at 24 was, because I've seen it. Maybe it was a liscencing issue or something? But that bit being cut does explain who's eye it is in the LA bit that IS in EoE.
As seen many.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:02 pm

Dave wrote:My god, I could have gone the rest of my life without even wondering what those posts at the End of Eva were. And this is after what, 50 veiwings? I love this show. ^^

This is why Im in love with eva!! :wink:
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:39 pm

KamaKase, i am extremely confused as to what LA is...

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:19 pm

LA = Live Action. He is referring to the opening scenes of EoE that show Asuka and Touji after having a little fun. ^^
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:54 am

you mean the one that was linked on EM a while back?
i thought the point was the prove to Shinji that there were other possibilities to everything, just like the AU in ep.26

KamaKase
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KamaKase » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:06 pm

Yeah, that's right. Although my second reference of LA is the section to "Jesu, joy of man's desireth", a very quick shot of an eye widening is shown at the end (or beggining) of that section. I wondered who's it was. But that shot is in the LA bit with Asuka & Touji.....so now I know.

Screw the philosophy, I wanted to know who's eye was on show. :D

j/k
As seen many.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:41 pm

i think its from when Asuka meets Misato or something...

KamaKase
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KamaKase » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:08 pm

"But that shot is in the LA bit with Asuka & Touji.....so now I know."

...yeah, it's Asuka's eye. ;)
As seen many.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:24 am

in the LA scene, was the purpose to show Shinji what a world would be like without him ever appearing?

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:31 pm

just watched the first disk and this is what i got

Shinji pilots eva
2 weeks later he got hit by touji
1 week after that 4th angel
not long after that he ran away for 5-6 days

i hope this helps. will post new info as soon as i finish each disk
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

Machinehead
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Machinehead » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:01 pm

I know this is an old topic, but I have a question...

Seeing that the markers that showed us the tombs remained in the final film, I'm guessing that the alternate endings were animated too?

Can anyone confirm this? Or were they just in the script/storyboards?
Art is not the world. Art is in our hearts.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:38 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:
This is just one minor example of the idea that I mentioned in another thread, that a very significant amount of the plot points of Evangelion are communicated at a purely visual level.
Here is another example of that concept; as you can see, there is an obvious visual correlation between the scene in #24' where Shinji tells Asuka that Kaji is dead (and the brief shot in 'Death' of Asuka's reaction to that news), and the "Kitchen Scene" in the Instrumentality Sequence of #26' that ends with Shinji throttling Asuka. This is Anno's way of letting us know that in order to understand what is going on between Shinji and Asuka in the latter scene, you have to consider very carefully what went down with the two of them in the 'real life' scene in #24'...

Wouldn't it suck to be blind????

O yeah and in the alternet endings link thingy the Asuka bit... at the end it says
If you want more insight into Asuka's mind, have a look at the extended mind rape scene from the Japanese Video Version of Episode 22
ok WHAT THE HELL is that about!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:32 am

@Machinehead
Given that the alternate liveaction sequence is out on the 'net; and I've only seen storyboards or less for the kick-down or severed arm endings, I would guess not.

@TheBlueTree
The original video and DVD release to the US had the as-aired versions of the last part of the series. The so-called Director's Cut versions - the Resurrection and Genesis Reborn DVDs or Platinum 6&7 - contain the extended version as released to video in Japan.

In particular, the extended version of ep#22 (or ep#22' for short) adds a lot of material about Asuka - a flashback to the night before ep#8; and when she's being taken apart by Arael to the background of the Hallelujah Chorus, a lot of new stuff was added to emphasise what a desperate state she has been in.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:46 am

ChronoX wrote:just watched the first disk and this is what i got

Shinji pilots eva
2 weeks later he got hit by touji
1 week after that 4th angel
not long after that he ran away for 5-6 days

i hope this helps. will post new info as soon as i finish each disk

Um....NO. He fought Shamsel the same day Toji slapped him about.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:54 pm

punched, my friend

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:40 pm

Phaze wrote:Though I don't know why it was cut, the original ending showed Shinji making graves for each of the characters, before finding Asuka lying on the beach, the shot of Misato's cross was one of them.

Choosing what scenes to use can be hard as hell. Something about it probably just didn't feel right and he decided to go with the current ending. :)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”