Evangelion ANIMA (general)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 5588
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:51 am

I'd say that's less a matter of 'permission' as it is just be old friends/colleagues brainstorming together, not necessarily anything that would confer "importance" or "canonicity"

The idea of ancient ruins or leftover from past apocalypses date as far as the proposal after all.

I must admit tho, I did like that scene where Shinji has this vision/ telepathic communication of (currently biomerged) Asuka and she says something like "I did good, didn't I? Tell me I did good!" after explaining how she survived.
...this immediately goes right back to funny because Shinji's first attempt at a compliment is too weaksauce and the second too tryhard, I'm not even a huge Asuka person, but, she was once utterly incapable of this. That has got to be a little moving.
I hope all the Asukas from the other timelines also eventually got to a point where they can openly ask ppl to cheer them on & receive it, too, even if it probably took longer. I want, Misato, Kaji, Shinji & Hikari (and maybe Mari?) to take turns telling her she's awesome & threatening her with crushing group hugs until she shoos them away 'cause she got fed up with it

This is also the sort of suggestion you might get from a councillor or therapist, to outright ask the ppl around you for attention& positive reinforcement instead of doing some complicated smoke signal dance to get others to do it, or beating yourself up because you want it.

I'm sure there's plenty of plot elements here that Anno wouldn't have put in anything he'd made himself
The exact quote interests me tho because I'm not sure I'd have that much of an open attitude to someone else playing in my sandbox, as it were.
It would be sweet to know that he wouldn't hate our fanfics too badly XDD
Still official 'permission' to go crazy au wise would make it closer to Sadamoto's manga than say, Angelic Days or other adorable spinoff Manga.

Whereas I'd view Rebuild as being to the 'prime timeline' as EoE is to EoTV, created through more or less the same process
("Let's make a beefed up version with more money & better special effects. Starts out with a similar outline but gradually diverges. Oh wait, actually I have a new idea! prepare for feelings")

I guess another possible parallel is that I think somewhere in volume 2 Maya is mentioned as wearing a plugsuit-like Hazard suit.
Alas poor Kaworu! I knew him well...
Todo list:
- Essay on the character's roles in each others introspec sequences
- Good faith Analysis of Mari
- Finish ep 8 commentary

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
Posts: 543
Joined: Jul 02, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:03 am

Yes, in fact Anno probably if he had written ANIMA himself he had never put anything so funny and touching ... Not to mention the other telepathic vision / communication that took place in volume 4 where Asuka is portrayed as Eve ?, the Wolfpack the snake and Shinji the Adam who must save her, it must be said that how dare you try to forget about me and Even if the world became a place of perfect peace where nothing could hurt you, I'd still love you enough to be the one real thorn in your side "are many phrases very suitable for the character of Asuka who after having had 3 years to mature and more sincere with herself about the complexity of the relationship with Shinji...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 5588
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:10 am

I'm not sure I'd go that far/ would interpret it that way, in many ways the style & aesthetic is totally different & I personally much prefer the original flavor here.

There's many plot or just... setting details that are wholly incompatible with the original or Rebuild. They're much more similar to each other than they are to any of the spinoffs even the 'sanctioned' ones made by cast members like Anima or the Sadamoto Manga.

But the original show has already be made and no one's gonna copy it, so...

I do enjoy the thought that gets put into some of the tech stuff but like I said a few pages ago this could've used the touch of someone who specializes in prose
Alas poor Kaworu! I knew him well...
Todo list:
- Essay on the character's roles in each others introspec sequences
- Good faith Analysis of Mari
- Finish ep 8 commentary

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
Posts: 543
Joined: Jul 02, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:28 am

Between ANIMA, Rebuild and Manga the one that comes closest to the original work is the manga ... The main difference between the anime and the manga is not only the ending but are the fact that Shinji, Kaworu and Gendo are different characters compared to their cannon counterparts, one example is the fact that Asuka is completely taken with Kaji without showing any ambiguous interest in Shinji, Kaworu instead of being Shinji's supposedly gay psychologist is still learning about human nature, Shinji is a better persone and more determined to be a pilot and mentally stronger for this is more heroic and goes to save Asuka, Gendo is colder, more ambitious and indifferent because he did not know that Yui wanted to be Eva 01. While ANIMA shows us a more surreal world where religion and science fiction becomes an absurd mix, and Shinji who is very mature can only continue to accept the madness of the situation and try them all to save the world. The Rebuilds add a bit of the madness of ANIMA to the drama of the anime, in fact Rebuild Shinji is the one who had the most bad luck his father is a well-made mix between the original Gendo and that of the Manga ..
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jäeger
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 578
Joined: Jul 07, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Jäeger » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:09 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:Yes, in fact Anno probably if he had written ANIMA himself he had never put anything so funny and touching ... Not to mention the other telepathic vision / communication that took place in volume 4 where Asuka is portrayed as Eve ?, the Wolfpack the snake and Shinji the Adam who must save her, it must be said that how dare you try to forget about me and Even if the world became a place of perfect peace where nothing could hurt you, I'd still love you enough to be the one real thorn in your side "are many phrases very suitable for the character of Asuka who after having had 3 years to mature and more sincere with herself about the complexity of the relationship with Shinji...


Same thought came to me. A couple in a heavenly paradise, with petals and birds everywhere? An snake who attacks the girl? Evangelion never has been subtle about biblical callbacks.

And, as I've said befoire, that speech from Asuka is an obvious callback to EOE and how Shinji rejected instrumentality, choosing a world where he could be hurt. She is the thorn who'll hurt him. Yes, Yamashita is even less subtle. And yeah, she has never been so honest. Funny how in the ending of the vol.4
SPOILER: Show
everybody agrees that she is the only one who can wake up Shinji from his dream-eva loop (even if it means his death), so Yui lets them be together (expecting the worst outcome for her son,but...... :D)


But there is something I cannot agree with you : Sadamotos's manga is pure bullshit. He never understood the characters or their relationships, or he chose to change them because he didn't like what he watched in the series. You musn't recreate EOE's 3I if you hasn´t build up the story the same way. Of course, if you have erased the relationship that triggers the 3i (and a powerful force in the movie), when you emulate the 3I in the manga you only see an asshole brat just tired of everything. There is no fucking drama. And without that relationship, there is no symbolic closure. Just a time skip with reincarnations, pure cowardice by Sadamoto's side. The hell!!, Gendo gets what he wanted. And it seems I'm not the only one who shares the same opinion.

Of course, the art is top there is no debate. But, as we say in Spain, Zapatero, a tus zapatos (Shoemaker, just make shoes)

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
I must admit tho, I did like that scene where Shinji has this vision/ telepathic communication of (currently biomerged) Asuka and she says something like "I did good, didn't I? Tell me I did good!" after explaining how she survived.
...this immediately goes right back to funny because Shinji's first attempt at a compliment is too weaksauce and the second too tryhard, I'm not even a huge Asuka person, but, she was once utterly incapable of this. That has got to be a little moving.


In Anima she seeks more praise from someone than from others. Oh, the sea fauna book :D And yeah, the two attempts....
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
Posts: 543
Joined: Jul 02, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:19 am

I didn't mean to say that the manga is closer to the anime in terms of the beauty of the work and its meaning, but for the fact that it is not Evangelion timeline where there have been so many changes in the plot and in the way Instrumentality works to make it look like a different series than the original Evangelion. Sorry if I expressed myself wrong. Regarding the fact that in ANIMA they are more extroverted about exposing religious things than in the anime I don't know what to say .. In the anime we learn that the Dead Sea Scrolls were a sort of guide book on Adam, Lilith and the spear of Longinus , and in the PS2 game we discovered that they are of alien origin (FAR). Too bad that EOE ended the series by showing us the growth of Shinji overriding other aspects of the plot, consequently leaving us with more question than answer.I fear that even the Rebuilds will end up neglecting and not revealing the origins of Lilith, of the SEELE, of the spears, why the Mark 06 before becoming operational had the mask of the old Lilith and so on ...Anno focuses so much on showing us how awful it is to be Shinji that the plot often ends up being a mess full of question marks, which is in my humble opinion the reason why the fans have initially turned down Episodes 25 and 26 instead of appreciating the psychology and the beautiful meaning of the message they wanted to send to all viewers ... A similarity between the plot of ANIMA and Rebuild
SPOILER: Show
If I remember correctly the voice of the ark told Asuka that in order to begin the new cycle essential for Instrumentality it was necessary for the Earth and the Moon to exchange their respective positions and that is what Armaros was doing by extracting more and more soil from our planet and increasing the size of the moon with the spear of Longinus. In You Can (Not) Redo we learns that Shinji's near-third impact not only sacrificed millions of people at the Guf's door and made the planet nearly unlivable for humans due to Barrier L that have heavily modifying the agents atmospheric and consequently the ecosystem, but it has also apparently reduced the distance between the Earth and the Moon and the Moon itself seems to have gained an atmosphere, also the fourth impact made sure that the Black Moon emerged and in the last Trailer of 3.0 +1.0 if I'm not mistaken it is possible to see her move as if she were following something she feels attracted to, perhaps the doors of the Guf that Gendo will be able to open? The Moon in the continuation of the Rebuilds seems to be the basis of the SEELE, so just like in ANIMA it could have a fundamental role in the success of the Human Instrumentality Project.
A description that I found on the Internet from a Japanese boy on the spear of Lucretius consequently a preview on Volume 5
SPOILER: Show
A weapon created by Shinji and the Evangelion Final Model. Lucretius, the Roman republican philosopher from whom the name derives, wrote that human misery began when he saw an inexplicable natural phenomenon and became frightened, and saw the interference of the gods there. He also mentioned "the end of the universe and the limits of recognition".Since Shinji unknowingly created the spear of this god, a large transitional structure "World Tree" that should originally be in another dimension appears as an "image" in front of you, and the spear is the limit of recognition by Shinji: "Eden" Achieved.

Jäeger
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 578
Joined: Jul 07, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Jäeger » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:28 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
I didn't mean to say that the manga is closer to the anime in terms of the beauty of the work and its meaning, but for the fact that it is not Evangelion timeline where there have been so many changes in the plot and in the way Instrumentality works to make it look like a different series than the original Evangelion. Sorry if I expressed myself wrong. Regarding the fact that in ANIMA they are more extroverted about exposing religious things than in the anime I don't know what to say .. In the anime we learn that the Dead Sea Scrolls were a sort of guide book on Adam, Lilith and the spear of Longinus , and in the PS2 game we discovered that they are of alien origin (FAR). Too bad that EOE ended the series by showing us the growth of Shinji overriding other aspects of the plot, consequently leaving us with more question than answer.I fear that even the Rebuilds will end up neglecting and not revealing the origins of Lilith, of the SEELE, of the spears, why the Mark 06 before becoming operational had the mask of the old Lilith and so on ...Anno focuses so much on showing us how awful it is to be Shinji that the plot often ends up being a mess full of question marks, which is in my humble opinion the reason why the fans have initially turned down Episodes 25 and 26 instead of appreciating the psychology and the beautiful meaning of the message they wanted to send to all viewers ... A similarity between the plot of ANIMA and Rebuild [spoiler]If I remember correctly the voice of the ark told Asuka that in order to begin the new cycle essential for Instrumentality it was necessary for the Earth and the Moon to exchange their respective positions and that is what Armaros was doing by extracting more and more soil from our planet and increasing the size of the moon with the spear of Longinus. In You Can (Not) Redo we learns that Shinji's near-third impact not only sacrificed millions of people at the Guf's door and made the planet nearly unlivable for humans due to Barrier L that have heavily modifying the agents atmospheric and consequently the ecosystem, but it has also apparently reduced the distance between the Earth and the Moon and the Moon itself seems to have gained an atmosphere, also the fourth impact made sure that the Black Moon emerged and in the last Trailer of 3.0 +1.0 if I'm not mistaken it is possible to see her move as if she were following something she feels attracted to, perhaps the doors of the Guf that Gendo will be able to open? The Moon in the continuation of the Rebuilds seems to be the basis of the SEELE, so just like in ANIMA it could have a fundamental role in the success of the Human Instrumentality Project.
A description that I found on the Internet from a Japanese boy on the spear of Lucretius consequently a preview on Volume 5
SPOILER: Show
A weapon created by Shinji and the Evangelion Final Model. Lucretius, the Roman republican philosopher from whom the name derives, wrote that human misery began when he saw an inexplicable natural phenomenon and became frightened, and saw the interference of the gods there. He also mentioned "the end of the universe and the limits of recognition".Since Shinji unknowingly created the spear of this god, a large transitional structure "World Tree" that should originally be in another dimension appears as an "image" in front of you, and the spear is the limit of recognition by Shinji: "Eden" Achieved.


Oh no, I'm not talking about ANIMA being more extroverted : it just continues the tradition. But is fair to say that even by Evangelion standards the scene is pretty obvious. Even somebone who knows zero about Eva would get the reference.

OFF TOPIC

Talking about spin offs, I've just read Piko Piko (at last!!) and.....well, there are jokes that are really funny, it works as a parody. No masterpiece, but It couldn´t be worse than SIRP.....(great first five volumes, lots of Love Hina vibe, but from 6th onwards......PURE SHIT). IMHO, Petit Eva (THE MANGA) and Anima still hold the honor of being the best spin offs. Girlfriend of Steel 2nd was an average shoujo....well, at least is short. And for both SIRP and GOS 2nd...what's the point of taking inspiration from the 26th episode's AU....to show us an Ayanami that has no traits of a genki girl ? PETIT EVA DID!!!
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
Posts: 543
Joined: Jul 02, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:53 am

I would love that ANIMA had got a Manga adaptation, impossible to do the anime due to the Rebuild and the fact that Yamashita does not believe that an animated ANIMA is a good idea due to the length of the story and the difference of the original work ... Just been on Twitter and just saw some Puchi EVA gameplay images for DS, it looks cute and funny, they say in the manga version Kaworu is shamelessly homo towards Shinji.For me Pikok Piko and Dectetive Evangelion are pure shit, a spin off manga that I liked although there was too much ecchi-harem is the Shinji Ikari Raising Project (even the videogame version for PC was not bad a sort of alternative version of Girlfreend of Steel 2), the spin-offs that could very well be part of the plot of the original anime are Girlfriend of Steel and Second Impression.Anyway can we stop talking about spin-off and go back to discussing ANIMA which should be the main topic of this thread? I don't want to sound too rude if you could please give me your opinion regarding what I wrote in the spoiler tags in the previous one post?

Jäeger
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 578
Joined: Jul 07, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Jäeger » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:02 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
I would love that ANIMA had got a Manga adaptation, impossible to do the anime due to the Rebuild and the fact that Yamashita does not believe that an animated ANIMA is a good idea due to the length of the story and the difference of the original work ... Just been on Twitter and just saw some Puchi EVA gameplay images for DS, it looks cute and funny, they say in the manga version Kaworu is shamelessly homo towards Shinji.For me Pikok Piko and Dectetive Evangelion are pure shit, a spin off manga that I liked although there was too much ecchi-harem is the Shinji Ikari Raising Project (even the videogame version for PC was not bad a sort of alternative version of Girlfreend of Steel 2), the spin-offs that could very well be part of the plot of the original anime are Girlfriend of Steel and Second Impression.Anyway can we stop talking about spin-off and go back to discussing ANIMA which should be the main topic of this thread? I don't want to sound too rude if you could please give me your opinion regarding what I wrote in the spoiler tags in the previous one post?


Length? Anima story would be done in 26 episodes. Remember : it has no need to introduce the characters, just jump to the action. And it could work fine, the same way other franchises have done before. If Dragon Ball GT o Saint Seiya Omega exist....why not ANIMA?. As long as is done better than those two examples.....

What I miss in the volumes are the Utatane illustrations. A lot.


Final Off Topic
SPOILER: Show
Piko Piko.....I dón't say it's a good manga, just that some jokes are ppretty funny if you're an eva FAN

Puchi Eva is by far the best spin off, it gets the EVA vibe and it works as a funny parody. The ONA takes inspiration and the setting froms the manga, but is not an adaptation....they don't even talk!!!!. The game is a new story for the manga continuity (think about it as an OVA) and yes, in Puchi EVA is the living trope of a flamboyant gay obsessed with the main character (not an unusual trope in anime/manga), which alway gets Asuka angry :D . And better don't tell her about Mana.....Petit EVA is a very Shinji & Asuka centric comedy, and I'm not talking about shipping (despite the only shipping is about them, creepy gay Kaworu jokes aside).

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

And sorry, for me SIRP doesn't work....and I owwn the fucking 18 volumes!!!! Despite a promising beginning (As I've said, lots of Love Hina vibes), it turns out in a giant mountain of shit, one of the worst harem mangas I've ever read.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
Posts: 543
Joined: Jul 02, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Please trust me if I tell you that 26 episodes will never be enough to fit a 5 Volumes long story. I read the Highschool DXD novels (which usually have fewer chapters than ANIMA), to adapt 2 Volumes a whole season of 12 episodes is necessary plus must apply some changes and cuts to the plot, and at the moment they are stopped at 4 seasons and not even arrived at destination of history where instead the novels arrived.As I just said, ANIMA generally has more chapters, so to animate the whole story without changes and cuts, at least 3 or even 4 seasons of more than 15 episodes would be necessary.I am people who more than anyone else would like ANIMA as an animated series, too bad that Yamashita does not seem to believe that this can happen ... I understand your comparison with Omega and GT, but here the speech is very different ... Omega and GT remain more or less faithful to the themes dealt with in the canonical and original series, ANIMA instead does not ... See the story instead of focusing on Shinji and the relationship with Gendo, Asuka, Kaworu, Misato and Rei will show us a determined Shinji protagonist of what it seems to be a strange action and science fiction movie ... Yamashita knows these things so I don't think he wants his work just because it's different from what we're used to receiving negative reviews from critics and the old fan base. . To make ANIMA animated it will take a lot of time, if Anno and Khara are interested the voiceover work and the animations will start right after 3.0 + 1.0 ... I don't think we will be able to see the ANIMA anime before the 2022, 2023 if they don't hurry ...About Spin-Off
SPOILER: Show
About the manga of SIRP: I admit that the ecchi was excessive it is rather that for fanservice the writer seems to have all costs to show us how careless Shinji is, and what bothered me and that after the introduction of Mana Kaworu it started to appear less and less, what a pity it was funny to see Asuka and Rei so scared that Shinji was gay (I would have liked to see how Asuka would have reacted if he witnessed Kawoshin in the anime too XD) .. Then the 3 technical girls probably of the same age as Maya attracted to Shinji .. WTF, nice that Shinji had a harem with unpublished characters but the 2 flaws are: pedophilia, and the fact that only one of the 3 showed real interest in Shinji to the point of competing with Asuka and Rei.I feel I must tell you that in my opinion there are even worse ecchi-harem series maybe you hate it so much because it disgusts you to see the Evangelion brand involved in such stuff.Puchi Eva would have deserved more attention in my opinion, although I think AsukaXShinji was toxic in the original series I am delighted to see Shinji and Asuka so sent in the spin-offs, there are many people who believe Shinji after EOE has no more hope with Asuka, on this I try to be less realistic and more positive, I mean we have that beautiful image from the book Die Sterne and even if Girlfriend of Steel and 2nd Impression are not canonical they are still set in the anime universe .. Even Yamashita who is the mechadesigner with ANIMA he showed us that he seems to believe that AsunaShin is the best for Shinji despite the pain it could cause him ... Also if I remember correctly Sadamoto wanted Shinji and Asuka to have a relationship more similar to NadiaXJean but too bad that he then made a mess with his Manga

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 5588
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:52 pm

I don't think that the movie/Tv show lenght resulting from a book is proportional to its length at all, it has more to do with the structure of its story -
How many subplots are there, how many important characters, how many climaxes, how dense is the worldbuilding etc.


The problem with making a movie or Tv show out of anima would be how to communicate the technobabble/workbuilding (which is good) without breaking up the flow too much. Maybe you could add some training montages at the start to get the technobabble out of the way.
But there is typically just one thing going in at a time/ not that many parallel arcs.

I think ANIMA could totally be done as a movie tetralogy or a miniseries under 12 episodes.

To begin with the story is action oriented/'movie like' and most of the focus is on the three main pilots plus Rei 4.


That said I wouldn't say that anima is primarily A/S there is plenty of team blue moments too, and ultimately it is mostly action focussed than anything else

imho SIRP should probably have focussed more on slice of life than ecchi but eh, if it's something ppl want i don't think it's per see illegitimate even if its not the height of art

Also that thing about making their dynamic like jean and Nadia is from the veeery early planning stages. The only thing that really survived from that stage is Asuka being somewhat tsundere. Nadia is about what you'd get if you threw all three main pilots together, whereas the one character that remotely resembles Jean is probably Kensuke.
Alas poor Kaworu! I knew him well...
Todo list:
- Essay on the character's roles in each others introspec sequences
- Good faith Analysis of Mari
- Finish ep 8 commentary

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
Posts: 543
Joined: Jul 02, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:26 am

For me it would take at least 3 OVA of one hour and 45 minutes each to fully adapt ANIMA.It is possible that I am conditioned by the way the Harry Potter books have been handled in the film version.I mean the film of the fourth and fifth book have had numerous cuts, both films should have lasted maybe 30 minutes longer to show us all the content of the original work. The seventh book has been adapted into 2 films but the cuts and changes were still there ...Yes, I believe that Kensuke could be Jea's expy, and that Nadia has the characteristics of the 3 pilots, just as Anno himself has admitted to having him too.

Jäeger
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 578
Joined: Jul 07, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Jäeger » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:29 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
SPOILER: Show
I don't think that the movie/Tv show lenght resulting from a book is proportional to its length at all, it has more to do with the structure of its story -
How many subplots are there, how many important characters, how many climaxes, how dense is the worldbuilding etc.


The problem with making a movie or Tv show out of anima would be how to communicate the technobabble/workbuilding (which is good) without breaking up the flow too much. Maybe you could add some training montages at the start to get the technobabble out of the way.
But there is typically just one thing going in at a time/ not that many parallel arcs.

I think ANIMA could totally be done as a movie tetralogy or a miniseries under 12 episodes.

To begin with the story is action oriented/'movie like' and most of the focus is on the three main pilots plus Rei 4.


That said I wouldn't say that anima is primarily A/S there is plenty of team blue moments too, and ultimately it is mostly action focussed than anything else

imho SIRP should probably have focussed more on slice of life than ecchi but eh, if it's something ppl want i don't think it's per see illegitimate even if its not the height of art

Also that thing about making their dynamic like jean and Nadia is from the veeery early planning stages. The only thing that really survived from that stage is Asuka being somewhat tsundere. Nadia is about what you'd get if you threw all three main pilots together, whereas the one character that remotely resembles Jean is probably Kensuke.


IMHO, Anima's being a shameless fanservide for mecha fans, it shouldn't take too many episodes to get the story done.

Volume 4 follows straight the A/S route, the same way the manga follows the S/R road despite a few A/S moments

SPOILER: Show
Except for the beginning, there are no interactions between Shinji and Rei in volume 4, none. They share no lines or thoughts In the last 250 pages, only the ones during Asuka's rescue and the defeat of Armaros. FIN. Those are not "blue team moments", It's just telling an story. When he "dies" after the Armaro's defeat, the dialogue is focused in Asuka's reaction. Rei's reaction is not given the same treatment. Well, is not given a treatment at all. .

For 4 volumes we have witnessed Shinji's reaction when the readhead is in danger or how he acts desesperate when she is turning into an EVA and running away. Yamashita has focused a lot about Asuka's thoughts about Shinji (the fucking reliquary, she brings Shinji's hairs to space!!) and always remembers their bond for the reader (How many times does she think about him in her way to the moon). What do we know about Rei's? Almost nothing. And from what the story has told us, I think Shinji's reaction wouldn't be the same.

And after the garden of Eden/Adam & Eve (and it wasn't their first telepathic interaction, the one in volume 3 was pretty sweet too) scene or the school ending (touching her hair when she is close to him) this shouldn't be a debate, outside fanservice. Even Kaworu remind us : Shinji has entrusted heart to hear, and she follows his beat.....and many times the text links Shinji's heart and Asukas thought and behavior, even as an EVA.

No, both girls haven't been given the same treatment in this story, this is not SIRP. And I'm not talking only about shipping : Rei's role in Anima is way more secondary than a Asuka's in this work. And Asuka is a freaking Eva for almost 2 volumes!!!! Well, the blue haired girl has to share protagonism with another three clones.....

And there's the "being a clone of my mother" issue. This is not a romcom spin off : they know the truth and it has been a problem for the for years just to develop a frienship.


Well, sorry about the shipping diatribe. Oh, I miss my days as a young adult.

But if I have to be honest, I'm pretty sure Yamashita is not gonna give us a proper resolution about shipping. He just wanna talk about mecha fights.

PD

OMFG, I've just read the vol.5 translations, OMFG the symbolisms, OFMG......Yamashita, you fucking sicko....

From now on, I promise I'll read that volume higher than a beatnik. I can't wait to june....
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
Posts: 543
Joined: Jul 02, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Which translations of Volume 5? The ones that I had asked has BlueBasilisk and that he had kindly given me in his previous post? I want to be sure so please Jaeger could you give me the link?About Shinji and Asuka as I stated in my previous post, I believe that in the anime their relationship was toxic to both of them due to the fact that despite the fact that they had such a different personality externally they would suffer from the same problems and complexes.As for what will become of them and if maybe they really love each other after EOE I want to have hope in that illustration in the book Die Sterne.
If we're lucky maybe the loop theory will be confirmed, and right in 3.0 + 1.0 Rebuild Shinji and viewers will see in what relationship Shinji and Asuka of the anime are. Repeating what I said in my previous post, I am happy that Asushin in the pre-Rebuild spin-offs was so important ... Especially in ANIMA who writes it is even the mechadesigner and a friend of Anno.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 1884
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: vtuber hell
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:15 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The problem with making a movie or Tv show out of anima would be how to communicate the technobabble/workbuilding (which is good) without breaking up the flow too much. Maybe you could add some training montages at the start to get the technobabble out of the way.
But there is typically just one thing going in at a time/ not that many parallel arcs.

Honestly... Anima already breaks up its flow with technobabble and dubious worldbuilding enough in book format, if by some miracle of expodump it ever was made into an anime, a faithful adaptation of that would be repeated minutelong expodumps. And honestlyx, if you strip that away, you're left with really not a whole lot. Anima primarily is just Yamashita rambling about how cool his ideas are, and weird Eva fetishism
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ Joseki
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Jäeger
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 578
Joined: Jul 07, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Jäeger » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:34 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Which translations of Volume 5? The ones that I had asked has BlueBasilisk and that he had kindly given me in his previous post? I want to be sure so please Jaeger could you give me the link?About Shinji and Asuka as I stated in my previous post, I believe that in the anime their relationship was toxic to both of them due to the fact that despite the fact that they had such a different personality externally they would suffer from the same problems and complexes.As for what will become of them and if maybe they really love each other after EOE I want to have hope in that illustration in the book Die Sterne.
If we're lucky maybe the loop theory will be confirmed, and right in 3.0 + 1.0 Rebuild Shinji and viewers will see in what relationship Shinji and Asuka of the anime are. Repeating what I said in my previous post, I am happy that Asushin in the pre-Rebuild spin-offs was so important ... Especially in ANIMA who writes it is even the mechadesigner and a friend of Anno.


I don't believe there is gonna be any shipping at all. And if there is a cycle, reincarnations, history repeating itself (NOT LOOP, NOT RESET, THERE IS NO GROUNDHOG DAY HERE, WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE 3I, it's the epilogue and the movie poster!!!!) theory confirmed Anno is intelligent enough to not show us anything that happened after EOE. It was meant to be a conclusion open to interpretations. Any explanation, any change, would would devaluate it's value as a movie. But what I do expect is a cycle theory in the rebuild universe itself. And I'm not gonna discard parallel universes.

And here they are.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TTNeZXY3CKK7tyaHLtHf7TadRQ_7REIE84bIYZzdGFY

OMFG, Yamashita goes too far with his weird ideas.....
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Zusuchan
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator
User avatar
Age: 16
Posts: 536
Joined: Jul 23, 2020
Location: Estonia
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:53 am

Jäeger, I edited some of your posts, putting several quotes into spoiler tabs. This is because you shouldn't extensively quote entire posts, but only the parts that are most relevant to what you are going to say. I already edited one of your posts to say so, but for whatever reason it doesn't show it anymore, so I thought I would resay it.

FXArmaros98, I also edited a post of yours and you seem to have deleted my edit, so I want to say something: if you do see an edit in your post by a mod, please do not edit it out under any circumstance. These things I just said are rules everyone should follow. Thank you.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 1555
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:26 am

Yamashita seems to be leaning in a trinity shipping direction with Anima: Shinji/Rei/Asuka together. Both girls seem to be interested in Shinji, Shinji seems to be interested in both of them and there's some stuff between Asuka and Rei 3 that comes off as surprisingly flirty. It was more explicit in the serialized version of part 1 where Asuka was thinking about how beautiful Rei was but there's still some of it present in volume 4.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
Posts: 543
Joined: Jul 02, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:11 pm

Well Bluebalisk agree with what you said, and even Jeager is right:Yamashita has really exaggerated with which absurd dose of madness further union between science fiction and religion in the fifth volume
SPOILER: Show
Asuka thanks to the fact of having been exposed to the biodata of all forms of life present in the memory of the ark has practically brought back to life Shinji and Eva 01 Final Model, consequently becoming the second mother of Shinji and then the plot describes this fact as the Immaculate Conception.... :facepalm: :bigeyes: :cringe: Seriously WFT Now it's like both ShinjiXAsuka and ShinjiXRei are both incestuous relationships.Although it's actually as if Asuka recreated Shinji and Eva 01 using fragments of their DNA she had absorbed, and then she is used such an incubator, in a manner similar to the creatures of Alien, instead of actually being their mother. Regarding the trinity relationship, it is creepy but it is true that it seems that Shinji, Asuka and Rei will all 3 seem to be somehow involved in what could evolve in a relationship polyamorous (:|
Not to mention what is said next
SPOILER: Show
I wonder if Anno had also read ANIMA until the end ... I refer to the story of ANIMA Shinji who in the depths of the Devil's Backbon's mouth (who took control of Armaros and apparently assumed the appearance of a dragon's head) saw his own distorted face leading him to believe he is the Serpent(the sinful human aspect and the evil that Adam removed from himself). Who knows maybe this is also valid for Rebuild Shinji who before activating the pseudo-evolution and the light giant form of Eva 01 was shown to have luminescent red eyes ... My theory is further supported by the conversation between Kaworu and SEELE in You Are (Not) Alone ... I mean the symbol of the SEELE in the Rebuilds is snake with the apples of the garden of Eden and Kaworu asks if that boy(Shinji) over there has awakened and the monolith of SEELE replies that the Dead Sea Scrolls are entering in the Book of Laws or something similar, I don't remember exactly how their dialogue was like...
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jäeger
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Age: 39
Posts: 578
Joined: Jul 07, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Evangelion ANIMA (general)

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Jäeger » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:21 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Yamashita seems to be leaning in a trinity shipping direction with Anima: Shinji/Rei/Asuka together. Both girls seem to be interested in Shinji, Shinji seems to be interested in both of them and there's some stuff between Asuka and Rei 3 that comes off as surprisingly flirty. It was more explicit in the serialized version of part 1 where Asuka was thinking about how beautiful Rei was but there's still some of it present in volume 4.


Man, there are almost no interactions between Shinji and Rei in four volumes, outside their trip in the 3rd and
SPOILER: Show
when they find Asuka through telepathy the mood of the narrative changes drastically to sentimental vibes
. When we have those interactions, 99% are far way from shipping. No, in this story Rei doesn't have the same amount of protagonism as Asuka, is a fact. And here interactions and bond with the MC are not given the same importance as Asuka's. The hell, until the 3rd volume Trois (the hell, she doesn't even have a proper name because there are FOUR REIS) is a secondary character.

Kaworu gets it clear at the end of the 3rd volume :
SPOILER: Show
the heart for Asuka (the story itself pays a lot of attention to this fact IN FOUR VOLUMES), body for Rei (Shinji's safety). After the Garden of Eden (a f****** kiss and "I love you"!, where do you find close to that scene with Rei?), volume 2, 3 and 4's closure's, Asuka's thoughs in space or Shinji's reaction after both Asuka's deaths it should be clear. This is not about preferences : is about narrative. Of course, Yamashita can break that narrative to satisfy fanservice, but oh man, that would be.....THE SAME AS GIVING US a "shipping" ending between A&S in the manga, which would have been out of place after paying so much attention to R&S relationship.



The best analogy? Reading Harry Potter with Harry / Hermione shipper glasses. If you wanna believe, you'll find a lot of hints...but no, the story is not walking that road, never has. And the fuck, she is Yui's clone, and as she grows older the resemblance is greater than ever. The story remembers you that fact, because IT'S BAD. NGE told you, NTE too. It's not a possibility. If that "trinity" were a choice for the ending, Yamashita would have revealed himself as a shitty writer who succumbed to the worst form of fanservice. You have to build up that before and no, he hasn't done that homework. When you want to satisfy everybody, you're condemned to fail.

From my POV, it's like (MANDALORIAN SPOILERS)
SPOILER: Show
Luke's cameo. For two seasons Jedi AND SKYWALKERS were left aside FOR THE GOOD and the show always has told us how the MC and his friends and allies always find a way to overcome dificultties by themselves. A DEUS EX MACHINA FANSERVICE cameo breaks the narrative,IMHO. That is shitty writing to satisfy fans


And this comes from a man who knows that Yamashita is not gonna give a proper answer. He has given a proper amount of ship tease and the conclusion is gonna be about mecha fights. So I choose to left shipping aside (this is not a story about relationships) and enjoy the roller coaster of writing Evangelion under the influence of an overdose of Gundam and LSD. But at least be honest about what the story has told us.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???


Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest