Evangelion Fan Art [ 6/23/2004 - 7/8/2011 ]

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:38 am

Rei-chan wrote:<snip> (Yes, I know the cross is too small -- I hate that goddamn thing. And something in me is incapable of emulating Sadamoto-style eyes.)
Oh come on, don't be so hard on yourself there, Rei-chan. "Akira" still looks pretty good! :) What kind of software are you using to render him? And what are your reference points?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:06 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:goddamn

I always drop the n -- personal quirk, I suppose.

Oh come on, don't be so hard on yourself there, Rei-chan.

The second part, at least, wasn't intended as self-criticism -- more an explanation for why the eyes diverge from some of the standards for stylization, and most of the rest doesn't. Weird, elliptical irises never feel right when I'm the one drawing them...

What kind of software are you using to render him?

Due to lack of creativity... Photoshop. I've been "inking" a sketch of him and then adding the various colors in separate layers.

And what are your reference points?

What do you mean by "reference points"?

I'm also not sure how well the orange windbreaker lining fares.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:53 pm

Reichu wrote:Weird, ovular irises never feel right when I'm the one drawing them...

Ovular irises?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:00 pm

I was trying to do something to "oval" and failed miserably. "Elliptical" will have to suffice.

:edits:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:41 pm

Reichu wrote:
And what are your reference points?

What do you mean by "reference points"? <snip>
Well, what I meant was possibly using a "guide" of sorts for referencing the looks of Dr. Katsuragi. Like the first scene of episode 12 or something...

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:05 pm

Reichu wrote:If anyone has any suggestions...

His hair should be messier; that well-groomed look doesn't suit a guy who puts his all into work.

Magami no D00M
Lilith

Postby Magami no D00M » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:26 pm

Kudos to return of Katsuragi-hakase! But, he's no bishounen, but biseinen. A nice older man. ;;P
Anyway, let me at this. When I myself once portrayed him(more often than I do now), though my anatomical skills left something to be desired, I had always intended a certain look to this enigmatic guy. My Akira had facial stress lines, slight stubble, and a less pointed chin. I think your chin makes him look a tad less than adult/worn out, if I may offer some constructive crits Reichu. This is on the basis of what his established character tells us within the context of the series, ie, his angsty, stressful relationships, plus his high impact (lolpun) occupation. This isn't really on a comment of how you style your anime based humans, tbh. You needn't any "eye shines" nor slanted irises to make him look good. Maybe if they were a bit smaller, they'd give more of the impression of being....a bit cloudy, or souless. Which is good, I suppose. Anyway, perhaps a morph between Kaworu's/Kaji's chin may yield to something I was driving at before, concerning his face. That's all i have to pick at(sorry...) Still....I <3. Much love to it.
I should post some of my more recent renderings of him...unfortunately, I have (things have NOT changed after 3 years. XD)
And I hope I didn't come across as a sort of expert of his person's subject, I'm just going with my first response to your art.^^;
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
DA Plug: http://magamish.deviantart.com/
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:35 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:Well, what I meant was possibly using a "guide" of sorts for referencing the looks of Dr. Katsuragi. Like the first scene of episode 12 or something...

There's not a whole lot to go by. Too lazy to post the pics right now, but...

-#12 shows his face from the bottom of the nose down. Structure is long and angular. (Mouth seems a bit narrow "for my purposes", but I have a shot of Kaworu making a similar face, so whatever.) Hair is apparently short; overhead "death" shot seems to indicate bangs.
- Sadamoto, in the manga, doesn't really give us any face at all. We get some "short hair with bangs blowing in the wind", though.
That said, I think I made Akira's bangs too long on the right (his right) edge. OH SHI--, I better fix that.
- Purple hair, brown eyes, and pendant should be self-explanatory. (BTW, that pendant is a little bitch. It is constantly changing shape and size.)
- Lots of Kaworu pics were used. Akira's physical features are supposed to be an "adult version". (More or less.)
- I had some Kaji pics out, primarily because Misato is supposed to see her father in Kaji later on.
- Attire is made up and helping me realize how abysmally out of practice I am. Turtleneck -- probably because those things are so ubiquitous in the show; green because green and purple are a magic combination; form-fitting to draw attention to how long and skinny that neck is. Trying to come up with a windbreaker he'd wear for the KatsExp as the nearest thing to a uniform, complete with a little KatsExp logo.

Magami no DOOM wrote:But, he's no bishounen, but biseinen. A nice older man. ;;P

Come to think of it, I suppose he DID technically stop being a shounen a while ago...

The only thing I consciously did to imply age was put the things beneath his eyes; that seems to be a common stylistic tactic. (…”shiners”?) I think I might add a couple of subtle “stress lines” (not sure where), but overall the youthful look is on purpose. It doesn’t exactly have any basis in what little the show provides, but it’s an “inversion of expectations” that serves Crying Man (fanfic in progress) thematically (or whatever) on a number of levels. (It’s… hard to explain. I can try doing it in a PM if you want to know.) He’s also depicted as a borderline OCD neat freak, so stubble would be out of the question (most of the time).

The #12 pic seems to indicate a rather angular face, and Kaworu has an extraordinarily pointy chin, hence that particular decision. Is it TOO pointy or something? I'm not sure how it makes him look "a tad less than adult/worn out".

Maybe if they were a bit smaller, they'd give more of the impression of being....a bit cloudy, or souless. Which is good, I suppose.

Do they look proportionately too large? I don’t want to make too small, because they’re supposed to be very expressive and “his most stunning feature”.

Thanks for the comments. ^_^v
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:10 pm

Reichu wrote:Due to lack of creativity... Photoshop. I've been "inking" a sketch of him and then adding the various colors in separate layers.

I hope you are not using the pen tool. It takes forever. I dug up a program called inkscape that will vectorize and smooth out lineart for you, then export a png you can color. Leave it to me to always find ways to cut corners..

http://www.inkscape.org/

Watch it, though. It's a memory hog.

felineki
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby felineki » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Personally, for vector lineart, I love Expression 3. It has a B-Spline tool that's a lot easier to control than the usual bezier pen tools you always see in other programs. It also has an adjustable width profile that you can use to vary a line's thickness along its length (like a pressure sensitive tablet). I think it's still available as freeware.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:34 pm

Rachel wrote:I just want feedback on the face, since SSD commented in another thread that he doesn't look "cute"/bishounen enough. <SNIP> Supposed to look like his hybrid bastard-child Kaworu (in that "older, more mature, palette-swapped, better-groomed" sort of way)

I think he looks "much better" now. ^_^ Though I can't point out what you did differently, my art-fu (specifically, drawing) is weak. ;_;
Uh, I dunno, I guess his eyes look "prettier" now?
With him being a neatfreak/borderline OCD...If you draw any pics of him in a jacket or something, perhaps it can be zipped/buttoned up all the way. ^^; And if there are ever any pics of his fingernails/fingers, if you get detailed, have it visible that his nails are cut as close as can be?
And isn't SEELE at least around by this point (Geherin too, unless my memory's failing me. I know that was around when Misato-san was 15...)?? Perhaps he should have a SEELE logo somewhere on his clothes? (with a giant X-mark thru it? :P)

In terms of the cross--don't worry too much about it. Hell, that thing changes its shape as much as the Eva's sizes/Asuka's breast size does!

For instance in the Final Scene we have this:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i267/sailorstardust/m26_C461B_big-1.jpg
(Damn it, every time I look at this pic I think of that Similar Images thread on ANF where you pointed out it looks exactly like an upside down version of Yui...In...Space!! (space space.../echo)
Though I guess because its a close-up??

While in episode 12 for instance (the scene before I Need You has an example of the cross that's too small Image to really see it >_<) we have this:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i267/sailorstardust/12_C022_big.jpg

Anyway, I like it so far...Keep up the good work! ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:51 pm

BobBQ wrote:His hair should be messier; that well-groomed look doesn't suit a guy who puts his all into work.

Now that you mention it, slightly unkempt hair is something Akira's supposed to have... [It actually pops up in the relevant "Reichu Goes Crazy" thread. Whenever you opt to brave those flames.] I'm not sure how much messier I can make the forelocks, and, in this particular style, only so much can be done with the rest... but I'll give it a shot.

Rommel wrote:I hope you are not using the pen tool. It takes forever.

Oh, heathens, no; I hate that thing. I am actually being wildly inefficient and trying to make lines with the provided brushes. This doesn't work very well due to either (A) me, (B) my tablet, (C) Photoshop, or (D) some combination thereof. My tablet isn't as happy as it used to be, but I don't think I could EVER make good lines with it.

I dug up a program called inkscape that will vectorize and smooth out lineart for you

Nice; I'll have to see if I ever have an excuse to try it. Here, I've been working from a fairly messy sketch I was too lazy to redraw first, so I'm not sure how much help Inkscape would have been.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I think he looks "much better" now. ^_^ Though I can't point out what you did differently ... I guess his eyes look "prettier" now?

Yeah, I did some work on those. Fixed his left xygoma--, er, I mean, cheekbone, too.

With him being a neatfreak/borderline OCD...If you draw any pics of him in a jacket or something, perhaps it can be zipped/buttoned up all the way. ^^;

Yeah, but if I did that in this pic, his pendant would be covered up. ;)

And isn't SEELE at least around by this point

They funded the expedition and has a posse of their people hanging out down there. (Gendo served as auditor. Keel bitched about how much scientists suck. Dunno about anyone else.)

Perhaps he should have a SEELE logo somewhere on his clothes? (with a giant X-mark thru it? :P)

The KatsExp is technically a United Nations thing, so a marking to that effect would be more likely.

In terms of the cross--don't worry too much about it. Hell, that thing changes its shape as much as the Eva's sizes/Asuka's breast size does!

Very much so. I base its look on the "still art" closeup in #12 (which you posted), and that has the lipstick for scale, so I'll probably just "eye" the size from that.

every time I look at this pic I think of that Similar Images thread on ANF where you pointed out it looks exactly like an upside down version of Yui...In...Space!!

An upside-down version of the recurring "Misato wearing cross" closeup, I thought.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Magami no D00M
Lilith

Postby Magami no D00M » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:59 am

Reichu wrote:Come to think of it, I suppose he DID technically stop being a shounen a while ago...

Not in Keel's eyes...^_^...eh, I mean visor.

Crying Man (fanfic in progress) thematically (or whatever) on a number of levels. (It’s… hard to explain. I can try doing it in a PM if you want to know.) He’s also depicted as a borderline OCD neat freak, so stubble would be out of the question (most of the time).

Oh, please do.^^ (send me one detailing this, that is..)

The #12 pic seems to indicate a rather angular face, and Kaworu has an extraordinarily pointy chin, hence that particular decision. Is it TOO pointy or something? I'm not sure how it makes him look "a tad less than adult/worn out".

I think, while Sadamoto does employ a very angular chin as a means of expression, even in age (a la EoE Fuyutsuki, which was overboard), I think a bit of a less pointed end in favor of one that's slightly tapered, would match his neckline better. As for the "worn out" look, I merely meant the severity of his situation made him "age early". Perhaps stubble was a bit much in my early depections, as the references of him point otherwise. Messy hair though, is certainly the way to go. =P

Do they look proportionately too large? I don’t want to make too small, because they’re supposed to be very expressive and “his most stunning feature”.

I think the eyelashes you provided him did just that. Now, with such big iris's, they look a tad doeful. Maybe they're too outlined as well, if you're going for Sadamoto's exact style. Then again, I good just be reading to much into your conception of his good looks. Maybe if they were raised a bit then, off the bottom of the eye? I'm just throwing suggestions out because I myself can't test them out with my own 'shopping atm, so I'm playing the role of the baseless nitpick of sorts. Sorry^^;;; Anyway(I'll continue >.>), I mentioned his looks. You've given him a certain facial expression that I can't read easily. I think it's actually the mouth, it confuses me due to the two lines that form it have a big space seperating them. I don't really want you to have to change what you've created now though, some works just need to be kept as is for future reference. Face it, he's still lolhawt. That being said, I think someone of your caliber has the ability to see your vision through, the way you wish. With all of your constant depictions of him, I'm sure you'll come out with a result you're entirely satisfied with. And I look forward to seeing 'em.

Thanks for the comments. ^_^v

No probbles, I missed being able to do so.[/i]
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:20 pm

Magami no D00M wrote:Not in Keel's eyes...^_^...eh, I mean visor.

:lol: That statement brings back memories. :D
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:44 pm

Very nice picture Reichu... I wonder if there was an actually glimpse of his face in the series? Or is that all based on Kaworu?
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:07 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:Very nice picture Reichu... I wonder if there was an actually glimpse of his face in the series? Or is that all based on Kaworu?

I ran off the "sources" right here, but here are the most useful glimpses of the Great Man: Aforementioned lower face, and some hair from Sadamoto.

The pic's been revised a little, but not much. I'm so out of practice that below the neck is difficult. I was never good with clothes, either... I'll have to get my brother to pose for me or something.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Magami no D00M
Lilith

Postby Magami no D00M » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:35 pm

^Could be a chance to make use of some Eva cosplay for references...too bad no one's ever cosplayed as anyone from the Katsuragi expedition. Who knows nowadays.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:34 am

Magami no D00M wrote:^Could be a chance to make use of some Eva cosplay for references...

I was just thinking of sticking my otouto in a vaguely similar jacket (and vaguely similar lighting), having him put his hands in his pocketses (of course), posing him right, and SNAP. In times of frustration, a customized reference can really do the trick. Except, there's the problem of getting Blah to actually do it... (BTW, if you think Akira's eyelashes are big, my brother is a bloody ostrich.)

too bad no one's ever cosplayed as anyone from the Katsuragi expedition. Who knows nowadays.

We don't really see enough of any of them to make it feasible. I guess you could, like, put on a parka and say you're from the Katsuragi Research Team, but...

The staff presumably weren't wearing cold weather gear all the time, so I get to design (hah hah) Akira's garb from scratch.

'Nayway, here's his current state...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/Reichu/Artstuffs/akira_97_ic2.jpg

Still young-looking (ever the "big kid"). The hair would probably look messier without cell shading. Cross is bigger. Mouth, brows, eyes tweaked some more. His expression is a ... more defined kind of ambiguous now.

What I want to know is, is the resemblance between him and Kaworu... well, there?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:10 am

Do a little mixture between Misato and Kaworu... Just a thought.

Btw, the resemblence is there.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 am

I don't see much resemblance between him and Kaworu. There are only two things I think that are a problem. First, the already mentioned hair. He's got that poofball in the front and then the perfect dome in the back. They just don't blend together seamlessly. Second, he looks too emaciated. But I'm no artist so don't take my word it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Fan Works”