Everything is Rockin'! [RML Thread 4]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:49 pm

Reposting a facebook status, but you guys will get a kick from this:

Went to a reading tonight. A guy went up and read H.P. Lovecraft's "The Statement of Randolph Carter," in it's entirety to an audience of MFA students. For those of you not familiar with weird-fiction god H.P. Lovecraft, this story is about 2500 words of wordy, early 20th-century prose, and this kid was not about to rush through it.
Some people write stories. Some people tell stories. Some people become them. Next time you start thinking that your writing or your music project or your band is edgy, remember the guy who subjected and entire open-mic crowd to his full reading of "The Statement of Randolph Carter."
(for the record, I would totally hang out with him and talk about books, games, etc.)
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:25 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:So apparently I didn't quite match that practice test from earlier.

SPOILER: Show
I fell short by a whole point.

:klkmako:

97th percentile
Fuck Yeah
Congratulations! :cheers:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:50 am

Uninstalled Flash from my old Mac, and suddenly Opera (9.27, yeah that's old) feels rejuvenated. So Fast. :sly:

Conclusion: Besides being build out of security holes, Flash is also a massive resource hog. Good riddance.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Got a 39 out of 45 on my Linguistics 201 midterm. Normally that would be cause for a "meh, okay" from me, but then I remembered I completed an extra-credit assignment for an extra five points on my midterm.

44 out of 45 points on my Lingustics 201 midterm. I am rejoice.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:21 pm

Flash is well known not to like working on apple comps, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Good work Nuke.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:35 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Opera (9.27, yeah that's old)

I started using Opera at v2 :D
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:38 pm

People spend 50+ hours studying for the GMAT

I spent 30 minutes and got a 680 when all I needed was a 600. Studying is overrated.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:29 am

I understand this well, Trajan.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:35 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I understand this well, Trajan.

Of course, I still slack off horribly in my real classes but I frankly don't really care about my GPA anymore. I just want to get my credits and graduate.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Studying for such tests is all about getting into the proper frame of mind, not cramming particular information. Essentially it's learning how to take the test. If you already have such a mindset then yeah, it probably won't help you.

And hey, 680 seems to be a pretty good score so congrats!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:33 pm

I'm a shamshel now. Gross.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:05 pm

Over the past nine months we have changed almost all the lightbulbs in our house to LEDs. Last week when we sent our quarterly electricity meter reading in, the figure was queried because it was so much lower than expected. Win!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:17 pm

I wanted to do it too but the neighborhood of the block I live in won't have it for whatever reason. Apparently having the lights on all night every night scares robbers, having less consuming/powerful lights seems too much of a change for some old dude.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:34 pm

What's having the lights on all night got to do with it? If they are LEDs, the power consumption and hence running cost is 1/3 that of fluorescents, or 1/10 that of halogens for the same light levels (based on the replacements I've made).

Whatever your light usage pattern, the same levels of saving are there to be made for an already moderate and still fast-reducing capital cost.*

The street lights in my road have also been changed to LEDs this summer, with a further improvement because they have none of the spillage that the old sodium lights here had.

* Three years ago I bought a few LED units with the light output of 50W Halogens for £35 each, a year ago they were 2 for £10, and this summer 10 for £20.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:43 pm

Idk what's their issue but they want their outside lights and have them on the whole night. Like, I replaced the lights of my garage and they replaced the lights again with the old bulbs. :shrugs:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:51 pm

LEDs also have a much longer service life, and none of the slow startup that fluorescents have.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:46 am

I can confirm LED lights are pretty good.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Nothing is more fun to come home at night in the dark and realise you forgot your bag somewhere. So one frantic phonecall later and some equally frantic night-time biking there and back later I had my bag back. :facepalm:

Then, as I enter the basement of my flat, I spot some scruffy looking guy in a worn denim jacket (Hell's Angel-type) hauling bikes away from the front of the other appartment building and throwing them on a big heap near the garbage containers (the fuck? :irked: ). So another phonecall later and the cops come by to check it out. Some time later they're in front of my door, banging on it (yeah, I'm slow), to explain they checked the frame numbers and that the bikes were old but not stolen, that they'd likely be gone by the morning, and that they weren't going to do anything about it, but that it was good that I called, because it is indeed strange that someone does that late at night.

(that's "bike" as in "bicycle", for those that are wondering...)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Good news: Passed my midterm

Bad News: BARELY.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:28 am

I am now successfully cohabitating in an apartment with a man. Overall, things have been peaceful. There was a bit of stress around the move and I'm still adjusting in a lot of ways. The place still lacks a lot of crucial furnishings (like a desk for me and shelving for books and media), but it's at least been tolerable since the addition of a futon frame and a kitchen table. My parrot Donald still isn't here, either, since I've been procrastinating on getting his cage cleaned and disassembled. (It'll be my last chance to clean the filthy contraption for a while, too.)

Bf being on the graveyard shift, while I'm still unemployed, is messing with my head. If my sleep habits were weird before, they're totally shot now. I just have no idea what the fuck is going on anymore. The lack of proper sleep seems to be making me vaguely ill, too. Last week I get flu-ish symptoms (complete with vomiting) for a couple of days, and now it's a swollen neck and fierce post-nasal drip. Ugh.

This is supposed to be RML, but between lack of desk and proper sleep I'm understandably emphasizing physical complaints. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”