Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Finally got around to playing Ni No Kuni.

I'm having trouble finding the emotion I need to get the Curry Merchant to give me the spices I need to complete a quest in the desert city. Help please?

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix completed as of this morning. Not a bad experience at all, it was pretty enjoyable. Now I just have to do all of the extra stuff like finish the coliseum shit, fight all the superbosses and other little things. ...Like finishing the synth list. Yikes.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 pm

You're probably going to want to finish the synth list before you fight the bosses. Ultima Weapon is too good.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 am

@Monk Ed:

Brothers ending spoiler  SPOILER: Show
I don't understand how one cannot be moved by the ending. For me the control system alone made me attached to the characters and made me feel the bond between the brothers. Furthermore, in my opinion the game did a great job of characterizing the two brothers even without dialogue - even trying out how the brothers interact differently with every hotspot on its own was fascinating and endearing.

It's a story of death, loss and coming to terms with it. The little brother goes from being haunted by his mother's death and fearing the loss of his family to accepting that death is a part of life. Saving their dad came with the death of the older brother who let himself be swayed by that spider lady. The scene in which the little brother buries his brother is one of the most heartbreaking sequences I have ever experienced in video games.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Anybody else download PT on PSN? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-- on all levels.

Avoid playing if you have a heart condition (not kidding).

SERIOUSLY  SPOILER: Show
I'm very annoyed at you both, Kojima and Del Toro. :irked: I can't handle scary shit, but brilliant move. Give me the teenage chick with the sword, seriously. But hey, more "Silent Hills" is (maybe) always good.

Edit: NOPE NOPE NOPE. We could only handle a little bit of it. Legit scary. Good graphics on PS4 though.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:45 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Anybody else download PT on PSN? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-- on all levels.

Avoid playing if you have a heart condition (not kidding).

...What the heck is PT? I'd google it, but with a warning like this:
SERIOUSLY  SPOILER: Show
I'm very annoyed at you both, Kojima and Del Toro. :irked: I can't handle scary shit, but brilliant move. Give me the teenage chick with the sword, seriously. But hey, more "Silent Hills" is (maybe) always good.

Edit: NOPE NOPE NOPE. We could only handle a little bit of it. Legit scary. Good graphics on PS4 though.

SPOILER: Show

(but with a warning like this)...I'd worry that googling it would accidentally spoil the fun. :grin: A comparison to Silent Hill? "Legit scary"? Now I'm really interested. And lack a PS4 :(

Not sure why you felt it necessary to put this in spoilers though, you've said almost nothing about it.

EDIT: Oh, oh, oh, wait a minute, is the reason you put it in spoilers because you're not supposed to know that it's a ...?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:03 am

I have finally managed to invest time in playing the dozens of adventure games I have started but not completed. I started with Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge which turned out to be even better than its predecessor. Even though the midpoint of the game was a bit too huge and epic in scale for puzzle solving, it was a fun ride with LucasArts and Gilbert amping up the humor in great ways. It is certainly one of the wittiest games I have ever played and in overall was written very cleverly. The HD remake's voice acting was surprisingly good and worked wonders with the second game (especially the infamous Bone Song was hilarious). It is a shame that LucasArts did not continue with the series in the way Gilbert had planned so we didn't get to see the continuation to the amazing ending.

Right now I'm continuing The Longest Journey where I left 8 months ago. Not only is the game itself ridiculously long, it is literally turning into my longest journey with the long break I ended up taking.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 pm

Got Myst: Masterpiece Edition (decided to go retro rather than get the updated RealMyst version) off Steam. I played Myst in school and absolutely loved it, so I was keen to play it.

Only problem is...it doesn't work.

None of the FMVs work- at all. Not the intro, not the animations, not the insides of the books...nothing. The video files are still there, but nothing plays in game. I'm wondering if it's because my PC is 64 bit rather than 32 bit.

This is pretty annoying. When I get a game off steam I expect it to actually work, even if it is old as shit. Maybe I could try running it through DOSBox...if I knew how to use DOSBox...

Ugh, this pisses me off.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:26 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:EDIT: Oh, oh, oh, wait a minute, is the reason you put it in spoilers because you're not supposed to know that it's a ...?

DO NOT click if you haven't played  SPOILER: Show
I also mentioned it here.

But yeah, like I said above with the "Give me the teenage chick with the sword, seriously." comment: the PSN download interface trolls you into thinking you're downloading some normal game, but you install it and nope, PT is the Playable Trailer for "Silent Hills". Zap and I couldn't even finish it because it freaked us out so much.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:10 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:None of the FMVs work- at all. Not the intro, not the animations, not the insides of the books...nothing. The video files are still there, but nothing plays in game. I'm wondering if it's because my PC is 64 bit rather than 32 bit.

It works on mine and my PC is 64 bit.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:19 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:It works on mine and my PC is 64 bit.

Bollocks. I wonder what's wrong...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:22 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
DO NOT click if you haven't played  SPOILER: Show
I also mentioned it here.

But yeah, like I said above with the "Give me the teenage chick with the sword, seriously." comment: the PSN download interface trolls you into thinking you're downloading some normal game, but you install it and nope, PT is the Playable Trailer for "Silent Hills". Zap and I couldn't even finish it because it freaked us out so much.

SPOILER: Show
I could have finished it, but I got tired of trying to figure out what to do. It's very very creepy though. Would make a great scarecam game.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:20 pm

So yeah, I kinda caught the LoL bug this summer. I did not think for a second I would enjoy it this much when I started playing in late May / early June. Just hit level 21, and I've decided to stick to one champ for each role for the time being to minimize the amount of mastery pages I need to maintain. Again, if anyone here wants to add me, my Summoner name is the same as my username here.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:06 am

^Hmm, maybe I should start playing LoL...

Are most of the people who play it learned, capable of speaking fluent English and following simple advice? Most of the people I meet on DoTA seem to lack these necessary qualities.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:05 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Are most of the people who play it learned, capable of speaking fluent English and following simple advice? Most of the people I meet on DoTA seem to lack these necessary qualities.

League is (unfortunately) famous for the somewhat large number of toxic players on its servers. Sometimes you end up in teams with folks who do nothing but rage and threaten to report you for the dumbest things. Other times you find nice people who are good team players.
Last edited by riffraff11235 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:20 am

^That sounds a lot like DoTA :lol: Also, for some reason even when playing on US and Australian DoTA servers I seem to run into a lot of Russian, Asian and Spanish players who can't speak English, which I find baffling because they ought to be searching for people who speak their native tongue in their own regional servers instead of venturing so far afield to play with people they can't communicate with.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:52 pm

I hate DOTA, not going to lie. Way too much stuff to keep track of, and basically everything is done via mouse (unless you use hotkeys, which I'm too much of a dumbass/butterfingers to do). I really didn't like the base mechanics- it's an RTS, but you only control 1 character, and yet there's still pointless amounts of micromanagement (what with all the silly items/build order bullshit). You only get gold from enemies if you land the killing blow (pretty dumb if you ask me) and thanks to the leveling system, if you don't do too well at the start, you're basically doomed. Plus there's only 1 map (which gets really, really boring after the first 3 games) and the community is poisonous- mainly MLG tourneyfag GIT GUD SCRUB "pros" (which for the record, I absolutely despise with the burning fury of a thousand swollen suns- they're the main reason I don't play much Team Fortress 2 anymore).

The characters and art style are pretty cool though, I will give them that.

The only MOBA that really appeals to me at all is Smite, mainly because it ditches the retarded pseudo-RTS controls in favour of a proper TPS-type affair, and AFAIK doesn't rely on item build orders or micromanagement bullshit. It looks like the TF2 of MOBAs- that is to say, a shining pearl in an ocean of diarrhea. I have heard lots of good things about it- I should probably give it a go.

Also, it has sexy (and surprisingly mythologically faithful) versions of gods and goddesses in it. Or at least, it did until moral guardians complained about the designs being disrespectful to the religions they hail from despite being pretty modest in comparison to the actual religious depictions of them (the most ridiculous example being Kali, whose original in-game appearance was pretty spot-on to her depictions in Hindu art...except, amusingly enough, for a bra-type thing, which the "real" Kali actually lacks). So now they're still sexy, but not as much and also they're not quite as faithful.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:30 pm

I managed to finish The Longest Journey today. What a wonderful game - even if I wasn't a big fan of its puzzles. One of the best game screenplays I have ever seen and one of the most enthralling worlds I've had the chance to explore in video games. I'm thinking of playing the Gabriel Knight trilogy next although I have a bunch of other adventure titles waiting for me at the moment.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I hate DOTA, not going to lie. Way too much stuff to keep track of, and basically everything is done via mouse (unless you use hotkeys, which I'm too much of a dumbass/butterfingers to do). I really didn't like the base mechanics- it's an RTS, but you only control 1 character, and yet there's still pointless amounts of micromanagement (what with all the silly items/build order bullshit). You only get gold from enemies if you land the killing blow (pretty dumb if you ask me) and thanks to the leveling system, if you don't do too well at the start, you're basically doomed. Plus there's only 1 map (which gets really, really boring after the first 3 games) and the community is poisonous- mainly MLG tourneyfag GIT GUD SCRUB "pros" (which for the record, I absolutely despise with the burning fury of a thousand swollen suns- they're the main reason I don't play much Team Fortress 2 anymore).

As part of my work I install DOTA, DOTA 2, and LOL, and yet the appeal of the MOBA games doesn't get to me because asides from the aforementioned issues, I find it very taxing to know what special skills every character has... it's really out of my depth that I find it easier to talk about fixing PCs.

--------
Once in a while I try to play a Chinese shooter/Counterstrike clone called Assault Fire -- includes zombie, tank and mech modes (ala-Edge of Tomorrow), but still I've got to update Skyrim and New Vegas.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:23 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:As part of my work I install DOTA, DOTA 2, and LOL, and yet the appeal of the MOBA games doesn't get to me because asides from the aforementioned issues, I find it very taxing to know what special skills every character has...

That was a main concern of mine when I started playing LoL, but once I found a couple champs that appealed to me everything just kinda fell into place. I thought I'd have enough trouble handling one champion, but now I've got a whole roster that I can utilize with confidence.

My favorites at the moment are Ryze and Tristana, in case anyone was curious.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”