Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:14 am

^ Both of the Metro titles (2033 and Last Light, the latter being the better of the two) are definitely worth looking into. If for no other reason than just the well-planned-out, heavy, grim, scary atmosphere of the world they take place in. Gameplay's...a little spotty in the first game, but it got improved enough in the sequel to be called "more than competent".

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Bioshock Infinite.

Elizabeth is my waifu.

Heh, indeed. Only other thing to say is THAT ENDING.

View Original PostMAGI_01 wrote:I can't wait for the day when that franchise dies.

You and me both, friend. ^_^
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Heh, indeed. Only other thing to say is THAT ENDING.

SPOILER: Show

Yeah, now that I think about it I'm certain they are some people who would enjoy getting pushed down by a horde of Elizabeths.

Poor girl. Too bad Burial at Sea bumped her off.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:50 pm

I finally beat GTAV! :guitarpunk:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:59 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:^Is Metro any good? It looks interesting, but I couldn't really tell what it was about from the trailer.

Have to echo AngelNo13Bardiel here on Metro. The atmosphere is what really makes both titles great and is part of the reason why they are both a couple of my favorite games from the past few years. They both are very much worth checking out and 2033 should be pretty cheap to get a hold of these days.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:19 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:You and me both, friend. ^_^

I don't know, but I can only blame my in-laws for introducing me to the franchise, and as much as they can be blamed for being bland and on rails, I thought Black Ops 2 had the most interesting storyline.

I want to pick up Metro and Wolf, but that means I'll have to buy a new 1tb hard drive first, because...

However, what's ticking me off of late is not the storytelling but that the install size of these shooters are becoming bigger with every technological advancement in PC hardware, hundreds or even thousand of times more than the size of Doom II (it's around 50-100mb, right?).

As I tend to play mainstream shooters like they're typical action movies, I can only play the games once or twice, then uninstall and put the game back into its case. Not so with Skyrim. :lol:

BTW:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/24/5837722/battlefield-hardline-ea-dice-broken

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:32 am

^It really amazes me that people still pay to buy bog-standard shoot-the-terrorists multiplayer games, especially if they're becoming this buggy, commercial and money-oriented.

Started playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion recently. It's pretty solid so far, although I had to tweak the controls a bit so that it's closer to the Skyrim controls (why on Earth is E the default to jump?). I got Morrowind as well, although I may wait for the completion of Skywind before I actually start playing it.

Consdering getting Fallout: New Vegas as well, although with all the Elder Scrolls stuff I'm not exactly bored.

And I'm nothing like you

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm just finishing up the last few quests of Dragonborn, after which I'll finally be done with Skyrim after over 450 hours. To be perfectly honest I think the game is actually too damn long... it stopped being any sort of challenge quite a while ago, so I'm just basically drifting through it for the sake of completion. I wonder how many of those hours were spent just fiddling with menus or crafting things I've only worn once or twice, like the set of emperor's robes and other fancy non-armor gear I enchanted just for the final battle of the war so I could finish it in style. -o-;

All told however I think that between Skyrim and the two recent Fallouts that New Vegas was the best of the three overall. There was much more sense of your decisions actually mattering in that one, and right to the end there was still some degree of challenge and my charecter still felt defined enough that I made a second one just to try out a different combat style... whereas my Skyrim charecter has long since mastered everything, some skills several times over, and as such has melted into a generic 'blah'.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:08 pm

^
I think you just made decide what version of Fallout I should pick up -- I'd want to try something different.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:58 am

Finally getting around to Bioshock Infinite. I'll see if it lives up to the hype.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Found this free-to-play fighting game thing on Steam called Archeblade. Just playing a few minutes of it, it's some shitty microtransaction-fueled bullshit with atrocious voice-acting and dull, fanservicey designs. Also, the controls suck ass.

Uninstalling.

EDIT: Bought Skullgirls and Space Engineers. Space Engineers is loads of fun. Skullgirls...I'm stuck on the tutorial. Despite being supposedly gamepad friendly, the attacks are all mapped out very badly across my controller (which is a Dualshock-type affair) and there's so many attacks that even with configurable controls you can't map it out well. I only have 4 face buttons! Triggers are for grapples goddamnit! Maybe I'm too used to Soul Calibur, but I can't even pull off the "Samson Gregor" which means I'm stuck in the tutorial...forever.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:06 am

^Save yourself the trouble and use the damn keyboard controls. I used those (can't be bothered to plug in a controller) and got Samson Gregor on the first try. I can do most other moves and specials for the other characters, too, if I can be bothered to learn them.

Bought myself Fallout 3 and Transistor; FO3 seems to be pretty awesome. I've installed a few graphics mods and the whole Wasteland is a pretty impressive sight; it's certainly a change from Skyrim which still has weird blocky textures on some surfaces despite my utmost efforts to mod it. The interface is easier to work with than Oblivion, although not at the same level as Skyrim. I got the hand of the VATS fairly quickly, although the health recovery system seems to be a lot less forgiving than Skyrim's from what I can tell.

I have yet to try Transistor yet but it looks very promising and I can't wait to start on it.

And I'm nothing like you

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Ha! Ha! Gamepads and keyboards go home. You need an arcade stick if you're planning on getting gud at skullgirls, Squig.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:53 pm

I feared as much...

*sobs in corner*

Rassafrassa shouldn't have to buy extra hardware just to play a game mutter mutter...

Any recommendations on good ones?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Oh you can play fighting games and be good at them with fightsticks and gamepads.

It's just fightsticks with Japanese parts tend to be the best and easiest to use. I use a Qanba Q4RAF. I wouldn't be so hasty about getting one, they're expensive.

Skullgirls being a six button fighter makes it more awkward if you aren't used to it.
Last edited by Tankred on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:16 pm

Yeah, I thought as much. I'm used to Soul Calibur, which is a very different system. Hopefully I can find a good Fightstick, anyway. Judging by the problems I've been having (slippy thumbstick and awkward mapping) a 6-button arcade stick is just what I need.

Won't solve my butterfingers and shitty reactions but it will at least make playing tolerable. My cheap-as-chips USB Dualshock-thing isn't very good for this sort of thing...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:11 pm

Still playing Mario Kart 8 on my Wii U. Trying to beat 150cc and practicing for a little tournament on a website I post on in August. :P
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Picked up a ton of games on the last day of Steam's summer sale. Since then I've played mostly Portal, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Thomas Was Alone.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:33 am

Gotten back into Persona 4 for an hour or two per night and oh my god it is GLORIOUS.

The music... God damn, the music in this game! I listen to the full opening at the beginning of every session, every time. It might be the single most glorious opener of any game I've ever played. And the music in-game, how is it that it manages to maintain such quality?! I can't sit still playing this game, I'm just constantly grooving the fuck out.

And the characters... Jeez, have I ever wished this hard that fictitious people were real? I could only dream of knowing people like Chie and Yosuke (not least because, c'mon, those faces), or for that matter Teddie, how does that little fuck manage to be so adorable?! And I can't wait to meet the rest, they all look like spectacular characters and I've already heard about the inner stories of at least a couple of them.

And the story... Even knowing who the killer is from something I stumbled upon in the P4U thread, I still find myself awaiting each revelation with bated breath, the unfolding of the story has me so engaged. I'm full of so many more questions than "Who's the killer?" and I always was; in fact I don't remember ever particularly wondering who the killer was, even before I accidentally learned.

And the gameplay... Even leaving out the non-battle content which is like 80% of the game anyway, P4's combat system addresses like every problem I ever had with P3FES before it and even ones that P3P unwisely retained (like the interface, holy god am I happy to see a simple vertical list of commands instead of that rotary bullshit). It gets the ratio right, too; far too many games are just all about combat, combat, combat, but P4 adds so much more around it to make it special -- as did P3 before it, so I guess what I'm really praising is the style of the series, but P4 in particular makes the non-combat portions run so damn smoothly that I really feel the balance compared to P3.

Somehow, I felt that this game was a major feature of my summer of 2013, even though when I looked back through my records I found that I played it only 3 times during that season (and only 1 time in the season before) and never two nights in a row. This summer is already different, and I can only hope that the level of pleasure I still feel each time I play will continue.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:26 am

I bought Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and I started playing MGS2 first: So far story is pretty cool, camera is pretty shitty and controls too, but I'm somewhat able to forgive those aspects, because it's pretty old game.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm looking for a good, 4x space game.

I've been playing Sins of a Solar Empire but it's to RTS-ey. I want to explore the tech and manage logistics before some douch starts bombarding my planet with a space canon and three shots end my game.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”