Movies You Own for Purposes Other than Watching Them

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Movies You Own for Purposes Other than Watching Them

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:11 pm

A friend of mine is a HUGE movie nut and he has movies in his collection for a variety of reasons that don't include watching them. These reasons range from unusual combinations of actors to the movie being important in cinema history or simply because he thinks the movie is just good to play on his second television while he plays video games. He really drove home the point to me that some people get movies or hang on to movies for reasons other than watching them.

I'd like to know what these are for the EGF community. For me, I only have three, though they could arguably be considered one film. Personally, I keep the Lord of the Rings Trilogy around as an insomnia aid. If I'm trying to sleep, the music in these movies (especially Return of the King) usually puts me right to sleep.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Re: Movies You Own for Purposes Other than Watching Them

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:31 am

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:...simply because he thinks the movie is just good to play on his second television while he plays video games.

:headscratch:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:43 am

I own Love Exposure on DVD only because I want to support crossdressers.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:23 am

I can't think of any. I watch all the movies I buy..
You have an odd friend.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:42 am

I do this with all of my films (especially ones with a lot of talking). When typing, reading, or working, I have to have noise, and music doesn't always work for me. When I was in college, it was Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

I also like to throw on my marital arts movies when exercising (of course...), especially some of the newer ones that nicely pair slow periods with action scenes: watch the action scene, then do some push--ups or work the punching bag when it gets dull.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:54 pm

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Personally, I keep the Lord of the Rings Trilogy around as an insomnia aid. If I'm trying to sleep, the music in these movies (especially Return of the King) usually puts me right to sleep.

Dude, that's what soundtracks are for.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:36 pm

While a lot of my anime purchases are honesty-box things (where I watch the more convenient fansub instead), movies I buy with the intent to watch, either things that I missed when they came around, or I enjoyed and wouldn't mind seeing again, just that it turns out that, with a lot of them, many years have passed without the shrink-wrap being disturbed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Um, I usually watch the movies I own, though I agree there can be many other reason on top of simply watching them. (However, I haven’t seen the Wachowskis’ debut film Bound despite owning it. I do plan to watch it when I have the time, though. Things just got unusually busy.)

Though, I guess I own different versions of movies, some of which I haven’t seen yet. I have all three cuts of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but so far have only seen the Theatrical Cut. (Again, I plan on watching the other two versions at a later date. Maybe I’ll marathon all three versions in one day or something.)

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:10 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:I own Love Exposure on DVD only because I want to support crossdressers.

Win. Thread over.

I actually used to have a serious problem collecting DVDs just for completion sake (all the films of a director, all the films in a certain series, etc.), but now I have come to my senses. I still have a large collection, but I pared it down a lot to things I actually plan to rewatch.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:39 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Win. Thread over.

I actually used to have a serious problem collecting DVDs just for completion sake (all the films of a director, all the films in a certain series, etc.), but now I have come to my senses. I still have a large collection, but I pared it down a lot to things I actually plan to rewatch.

Basically this. Granted I have almost 200 film titles, but I still rewatch them.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:01 pm

I think the only reason I own Twins Effect 2 is because I really like the first one and it was really cheap.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:11 am

The only reason why I own Alien Resurrection, Alien vs. Predator and Alien vs. Predator: Requiem is for the sake of completion and the fact that they were pretty cheap.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:59 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:While a lot of my anime purchases are honesty-box things (where I watch the more convenient fansub instead), movies I buy with the intent to watch, either things that I missed when they came around, or I enjoyed and wouldn't mind seeing again, just that it turns out that, with a lot of them, many years have passed without the shrink-wrap being disturbed.

Honesty-box here, at least for anime. I don't buy regular movies unless I wanna watch 'em.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:44 pm

I own a movie in which my dad had a minor role. It's an excellent paperweight.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:44 am

I still keep the burned double VCD copy of Battle Royale somewhere in one of the disc cases; in 2003 access to Japanese movies was much terribly limited but to those few and fortunate to see them, they cost quite a fortune -- I had the discs as a personal prize for tracking down the dealer after a succession of emailed inquiries, who was then running the op at a dingy (now renovated) mall.

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:23 pm

I guess if I had to pick, it would probably be those inferior NGE DVDS. Y'know, stuff like the Collection volumes (Volume 4 & DC Ressurection, specifically) or the single-disk Death & ReBirth DVD; I know there's much better versions available out there but considering how hard it is to find anything Eva-related in this anime-apathetic town otherwise known as Cork, I'll take whatever the hell I can get! (Incidentally, this is why I've considered picking up the Angelic Days volumes that occasionally appear in my local Vibes & Scribes)

Besides that, I've got the Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM boxset still kicking round in my bedroom, even though I haven't watched the sodding thing in two and a half years and don't plan on doing so at any point in the future. Guess it's just that slight pride I get from having a show like that entirely on DVD that makes me squee inside out! (Even though I don't personally like it!)

One more thing; when I do move out, I'm taking every single VHS tape of Disney movies, other cartoons and the like with me! Just so I can brag to my co-workers that if anyone wants to watch Lady and the Tramp II on video tape, I'll be more than willing to bring the dusty ol' thing along! :D
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

It existed. That is all. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri May 09, 2014 4:58 am

I have the 1994 VHS box set of the Original Star Wars Trilogy.

I currently do not own a VHS player, nor do I have any plans to acquire one.

Just to know it exists, and that George Lucas can't magically make it disappear, is all the cause I need.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: It existed. That is all. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 09, 2014 7:09 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I have the 1994 VHS box set of the Original Star Wars Trilogy.

I have the original 80’s VHS box set of Star Wars, along with the Making of video tape that accompanied it.

I watched the VHS trilogy once for nostalgia’s sake, and the making of documentary multiple times.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri May 09, 2014 1:44 pm

I didn't know people bought movies for purposes other than watching them.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri May 09, 2014 7:07 pm

^

That's what Aqua Teen turned into for me. Just something I can listen to and enjoy in the background, glance over at occasionally without being sucked in. Got me through college.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Return to “Film and Video”