The "Am I The Only One Who" Thread.

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:25 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I read magazines backwards.

On some forums, I will read from the last page of the thread backwards.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Some time ago, I discovered the joys of DVD closed captioning as an antidote to dialogue that is difficult to hear, ambiguous, or spoken with weird (to my ears) accents and dialects. Not to mention, when you share a home with two easily excited Spitz dogs and a noisy parrot... My habit spread to my parents, who found it useful even before my dad's hearing took a nose dive. I wonder how common use of closed captioning by the not-actually-hearing-impaired is.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Blood-related things shake me that badly. Despite my current title and love of vampires, I can't stand even the thought of blood in certain contexts.

I was in the shower one time, and the ceramic soap dish in the wall fell out and broke on my foot, creating a huge, bleeding gash. I was more shocked by the falling soap dish than the bleeding. I managed to be perfectly composed about the situation. I felt kind of like Timmy in Jurassic Park, looking at my foot like it was a dismembered Gallimimus and thinking, "Look at all the blood...!"

I'm sure my response isn't incredibly unusual. I'll blame my dad for this. He's always been getting injured doing work around the house, and treating some pink-with-blood towel wrapped around his head or a grotesque gash like it's nothing.

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Am I the only one here who's seen animation before the 80s? Like, stuff from the 1920s-1950s?

What a thing to ask! They're still showing classic Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry on cable. The Disney classics are in constant circulation at public libraries. As a child, I saw all kinds of Fleischer cartoons, the old Mickey / Donald / etc. shorts, Silly Symphonies, even some Terrytoons.

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:Who eats cereal without milk?

If Cinnamon Life, then yes.

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Starting to think I'm the only person in this forum who doesn't enjoy seeing Shinji dressed in drag....

Speaking as the one who created this thread, I have to say... you would be wrong.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Some time ago, I discovered the joys of DVD closed captioning as an antidote to dialogue that is difficult to hear, ambiguous, or spoken with weird (to my ears) accents and dialects. Not to mention, when you share a home with two easily excited Spitz dogs and a noisy parrot... My habit spread to my parents, who found it useful even before my dad's hearing took a nose dive. I wonder how common use of closed captioning by the not-actually-hearing-impaired is.

I'm one who, for the most part, with some exceptions, HAS to put on captions for anything I watch. Be it a certain film or television series on TV or home video, it's an absolute requirement for me. Reading the dialogue actually helps me concentrate with what's going on in the film or television series. I'm just glad somebody else here does it.

:hahaha:
Last edited by Rei IV on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:43 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:some Terrytoons.

Holy crap, I thought I was the only guy here who knew who this was.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:09 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Some time ago, I discovered the joys of DVD closed captioning as an antidote to dialogue that is difficult to hear, ambiguous, or spoken with weird (to my ears) accents and dialects. Not to mention, when you share a home with two easily excited Spitz dogs and a noisy parrot... My habit spread to my parents, who found it useful even before my dad's hearing took a nose dive. I wonder how common use of closed captioning by the not-actually-hearing-impaired is.

I always use captions when I'm watching TV. Granted, it's mostly because I broke my old remote so I can't turn them off, but even when I could, it looked weird to not have them on.

I also always watch my DVDs with subtitles on, no matter what. It's also fun when you're watching a DVD in English, with subtitles for the hearing-impaired and it's missing parts of what they were saying. Worst I've seen so far was one of my Doctor Who DVDs I think there was like three whole sentences not transcribed in the subtitles.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:36 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:I also always watch my DVDs with subtitles on, no matter what. It's also fun when you're watching a DVD in English, with subtitles for the hearing-impaired and it's missing parts of what they were saying. Worst I've seen so far was one of my Doctor Who DVDs I think there was like three whole sentences not transcribed in the subtitles.

Oh God, yes! In some my DVDs and Blu Rays of certain films and television series, there are cases where the captions do not even match the actual piece of dialogue spoken! Then, on more a rare occasion, there are cases where the captions appear after the dialogue that has already been spoken!

:cringe:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:42 am

I've got used to watching with subtitles because my wife is part deaf. It does have it's benefits, I agree.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AzraFell
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AzraFell » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Am I the only one who likes to drink something hot and sweet after eating something spicy? Something about the sweet burningness just gets to me :)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Possibly -- I do like chilli hot chocolate, though, which does it all in one hit.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Am I the only one who likes to drink something hot and sweet after eating something spicy? Something about the sweet burningness just gets to me

Possibly -- I do like chilli hot chocolate, though, which does it all in one hit

I love the intense overstimulation of spice and heat and sweet.

Am i the only one who cuts out a segment of lemon and just bites down on it hard and fast?
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that nerddom needs to chill its tits about adaptations taking certain kinds of liberties? It's an adaptation in a different medium, obviously it's going to be different. If you want the source, go to the source. I'd be more excited by the fact that someone is trying to find new creative possibilities in an old work - and if it sucks, if it doesn't pay off, if it ends up taking the wrong kinds of liberties, the original is still there.

*glares very hard at the Rebuild subforum and people shitting up /co/ with MAN OF MURDER threads*

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm totally cool with adaptations, especially when they work. I loved the Dark Knight Rises version of Bane, and I say that as someone for whom the Bane episode of Batman: The Animated Series was a very memorable part of my childhood. So no, you're not the only one. And hopefully no one will reply to this in a way turning it into a tangent about anything Batman, or if they do, they will take it to the appropriate topic, such as the Dark Knight Rises topic in the Film forum.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:06 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that nerddom needs to chill its tits about adaptations taking certain kinds of liberties? It's an adaptation in a different medium, obviously it's going to be different. If you want the source, go to the source. I'd be more excited by the fact that someone is trying to find new creative possibilities in an old work - and if it sucks, if it doesn't pay off, if it ends up taking the wrong kinds of liberties, the original is still there.

*glares very hard at the Rebuild subforum and people shitting up /co/ with MAN OF MURDER threads*

Adaptations are shit by definition. Your complaint is invalid. Now put god helmet on your head and proceed to study electrically newspeak.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:00 am

View Original Postchee wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that nerddom needs to chill its tits about adaptations taking certain kinds of liberties? It's an adaptation in a different medium, obviously it's going to be different. If you want the source, go to the source. I'd be more excited by the fact that someone is trying to find new creative possibilities in an old work - and if it sucks, if it doesn't pay off, if it ends up taking the wrong kinds of liberties, the original is still there.

I hate nerds.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:56 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Adaptations are shit by definition.
I refute you thus : Ghost in the Shell StandAlone Complex.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:20 am

Lies, SAC doesn't capture the lesbian sex of the original.

Am I the only one that has this mental threshold where manga/anime is either easily understood or absolutely incomprehensible? There's no in between. It's either total understanding or "What the fuck is this what the fuck is going on what's happening".
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:11 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Lies, SAC doesn't capture the lesbian sex of the original.

Am I the only one that has this mental threshold where manga/anime is either easily understood or absolutely incomprehensible? There's no in between. It's either total understanding or "What the fuck is this what the fuck is going on what's happening".

Seeing how you managed to discover that Evangelion was an actual work of magic, and completely cataloged every single bit of symbolism, I'm surprised there's anything you don't understand.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:32 am

Are you implying that Evangelion or Chuckman make any sense?

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I refute you thus : Ghost in the Shell in general.

ftfy

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:49 am

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:You're not the only one. I'm constantly having conversations with myself. I try to catch myself and not do it in front of people.

Yup, same here.

Does anyone else live in their head? When I say that I mean creating worlds and characters... the whole shebang. Total escape from reality ^_^

I go one step further: I use RPG systems to organize the whole thing and give it rules and such. I've been doing this since I was a teenager, starting with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (back when it was kinda cool). I built fantasy settings for three iterations of D&D, played around with three versions of Star Wars RPG (which is odd, since I've never been all that hot on the setting), did stuff with Eclipse Phase and Blue Planet and various supers systems, was positively obsessed with Werewolf/oWoD for a bit, did a little bit with the Macross II RPG, and for one brief period got distracted by the idea of Transformers who used a gadget seen in a couple of episodes of the G1 cartoon series to transfer their minds into human bodies. That got way more serious than it probably should have. -o-; There were some others as well that don't immediately come to mind. And now, of course, there's Eva, but that's just fanfic (no RPG system there, no point to it).

So no, you're not the only one. ;)
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”