9 coffins (+ Seele's Involvement)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
xdiesp
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xdiesp » Sun May 26, 2013 7:56 am

Trivializing anything mysterious into low-key scifi is a problem with Japanese pop culture at large, reminds me of that Simpsons episode where "Santa here is called the annual gift man, and lives on the moon". I don't know, it might be about being incapable of holding secrets somehow. Arthur C. Clarke went that way with the 2001 saga, and the infinite amount of theories made over Kubrick's movies became a bland and dull wikipedia entry of truth. Bleh.
SOUND ONLY

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun May 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Pretty sure there is something more about the coffins than we can see.I dont think they would be like that in the middle of the moon without some kind of protection.Keep in mind that the SEELE monolith appears from nowhere.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

marumaruko
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby marumaruko » Mon May 27, 2013 8:27 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Pretty sure there is something more about the coffins than we can see.I dont think they would be like that in the middle of the moon without some kind of protection.Keep in mind that the SEELE monolith appears from nowhere.

yup. probably they exist for stylistic reasons..

exactly as what said a couple of posts above me there is a lot of fuss about all the mysterious gimmicks used in these kind of films. We are speaking about a sci-fi anime with mecha-fighting. To be distinguishable they need to have differences, right?
Also all these mentions , chamber of guf, fruit of knowledge, fruit of life, I'd really see all these terms and symbolics more like metaphors for really bland terms (such as "life", "death", etc..).
I know Evangelion is interesting partly due to all these mysteries and hints, but every hint or metaphor that is not explained and has no deeper meaning probably merely exists for stylistic reasons (see Lost, the series. Exactly the same).
So we see 9 coffins which looks fuckin cool and Kaworu stepping out of one of them. I doubt they have any more meaning.
Especially as Gendou also said "we got rid of Seele's boy" so I doubt there are more Kaworus in these coffins.
ヒーロー見参~

KingBungleHole
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KingBungleHole » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:01 am

Not sure if this matters or not, but kaworu steps out of the 5th coffin and he is the 5th child

Chaz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chaz » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:58 am

View Original PostDima wrote:So opened coffins=the number of times EVA universe have been repeated?Seems to fit with the Kaworu words ''this time i will make you happy''.One of the opened coffins is probably for the Kaworu of the NGE.

I never believed that the coffins could contain the angels.This would mean that all angels have human forms like Kaworu.

First time posting after YEARS of reading this forum, only joined so I could say this:

You know how:

In early designs, Kaworu was depicted as a school boy with a pet cat who could switch to an "Angel form"

And how in some countries a cat has 9 lives, 9 lives, 9 coffins, Kaworu was supposed to be linked to a cat.
I know it's silly, but wanted to say this.
Iamamiwhoami

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”