Official 3.0 title: You Can (Not) Redo

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:24 pm

View Original PostXous wrote:Sequel /Cycle theories

Cyquel? :nyao:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Alternately, the NyQuil Theory suggests that You Can (Not) Redo will be utterly tiresome.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:23 pm

Man, we Eva fans do love our meta don't we? For me, the title brings to mind Instrumentality. You Can (Not) Redo the human race?

Xana
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Xana » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Something about the title bothers me, I dunno, I fear that Shinji will end up regretting rescuing Rei at the end of 2.0, just the thought of it saddens me :asuka_sad: as a hardcore S/R shipper

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:09 pm

View Original PostXana wrote:Something about the title bothers me, I dunno, I fear that Shinji will end up regretting rescuing Rei at the end of 2.0, just the thought of it saddens me :asuka_sad: as a hardcore S/R shipper

I don't think he'll regret rescuing Rei regardless of what happens next. Even if everyone turns to tang again he did a good thing in his life. It wasn't a case of "let one person die for the sake of millions/billions" or anything like that. Plus it's not like there was anything else for him to do with Zeruel displacing all the NERV architecture. The regretting would come in if he didn't rescue her, and with Shinji being Shinji he'd let that regret eat him even in tang form.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:34 pm

As I read the newspost on the main page I sunk into my chair and laughed.

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Alternately, the NyQuil Theory suggests that You Can (Not) Redo will be utterly tiresome.

Hearing that they're doing the same gimmick with the title is tiring to the point that I feel like giving up hope on the next film ever being as satisfying as NGE's descent arc. Almost. I still have hope that 3.xx will pick up the pieces and be easier to follow than 2.xx, but most of all I hope it'll make a real story around Shinji rather than play hopscotch like it did in 2.xx.
Voluntary Illusion.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:44 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:As I read the newspost on the main page I sunk into my chair and laughed.

Good to hear someone could laugh at it, at least. I fell off my couch and my neck rage-exploded into a geyser of blood which stained my wallpaper so hard that it'll still be there when they do Life of Azathoth Shin Gekijouban: This Movie Will (Not) Suck Dick.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Hearing that they're doing the same gimmick with the title is tiring to the point that I feel like giving up hope on the next film ever being as satisfying as NGE's descent arc.

These aren't analogous structures, remember - Descent was the second half of Ha. But yeah, the title gimmick was old already when the last movie came out and it's not getting any better now. I wonder if it's apparent to Anno that there's a distinct gap between "you are not alone" and "you cannot redo" in terms of making sense.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Almost. I still have hope that 3.xx will pick up the pieces and be easier to follow than 2.xx, but most of all I hope it'll make a real story around Shinji rather than play hopscotch like it did in 2.xx.

real story around Shinji unlikely. Good old-fashioned psychedelic fun might not be too far out of the picture though.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:14 pm

More than one poster commented that the parenthesis around "(not)" are unnecessary, because they believe it is simply impossible to redo one's actions.

I beg to differ; I am guessing that Shinji will be given some ambiguous sense of "redoing" past actions. After all, Unit-01 in "god mode" could easily enable her pilot to do just about anything.

----
Here is a rather cheesy example of how this could work out:

[fanwank]
Perhaps the first part of the movie will be a series of events driven or set in motion by one or more of Shinji's decisions, only to reveal that it all happened in Shinji's altered state of near-Third-Impact-consciousness, and it did not really happen.

However, Shinji is then faced with the exact same scenario, where he is able to "redo" his actions from the first part. The second part of the movie could then be a second iteration of this same series of events, up until the point where Shinji decides to make a different decision than before.
[/fanwank]

---

Regardless of how this pans out, I do believe that the main theme of the movie will be taking responsibility for one's actions, and it will likely result in Shinji being given a sense/promise/ability to change his own past actions, but in the end consciously choosing not to. Which will leave the debate open whether Shinji REALLY had this sense/promise/ability to "redo".

But it will probably be far more complicated than that.
Last edited by Jornophelanthas on Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:15 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:I fell off my couch and my neck rage-exploded into a geyser of blood which stained my wallpaper so hard that it'll still be there when they do Life of Azathoth Shin Gekijouban: This Movie Will (Not) Suck Dick.

Sorry to hear that. (:|

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:But yeah, the title gimmick was old already when the last movie came out and it's not getting any better now. I wonder if it's apparent to Anno that there's a distinct gap between "you are not alone" and "you cannot redo" in terms of making sense.

I wonder if the titles are a literal indication that each movie sees the characters face identical struggles around similar social lessons.

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:real story around Shinji unlikely. Good old-fashioned psychedelic fun might not be too far out of the picture though.

I hope certainly hoping for some psychedelic fun, the most we got in 1.xx was the Ramiel sequence, and in 2.xx the rainbow colours of the 8th Angel were as psychedelic as it got - everything else was stuff with red circles and wavy red backgrounds.
Voluntary Illusion.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:43 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Here is a rather cheesy example of how this could work out

How very Haruhi of Eva to do that. :lol:

But yeah, I could see something like that happening, although I'd also prefer something not quite as cheesy.

Regardless of how this pans out, I do believe that the main theme of the movie will be taking responsibility for one's actions, and it will likely result in Shinji being given a sense/promise/ability to change his own past actions, but in the end consciously choosing not to. Which will leave the debate open whether Shinji REALLY had this sense/promise/ability to "redo".

Mh, what I was getting at with my first post in this thread is that you have to take responsibility for your actions whether or not you can actually change the past in some way. And by actively changing the past, are you honestly learning some life lessons that way?

But now that you mention it, perhaps Kaworu would somehow give Shinji the opportunity to alter the past? Then again, who knows at this point what the second 3.0 Preview meant by "Shinji Ikari awakens, besides him stands a mysterious boy. And then a new world awaits him."
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Not really.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

Tetsuo87
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tetsuo87 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:48 pm

image form khara website
SPOILER: Show

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:15 pm

On one hand, I like the title because it makes me curious as to what will come in the movie and what will it mean exactly. I also enjoy the irony of it. On another, I can't help but feel they should have picked a more formal word than "redo". But then again, this is a movie where a fourteen year old is the main character.

Also, I was sort of hoping that Q would be the last one, it's murderous to be waiting for the next one. But still, hey, I'm glad there'll be more Evangelion to enjoy in the meantime. And another movie to put in my "to see in 2013" calendar along with Pacific Rim, Man of Steel and The Hobbit 2.

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:25 pm

View Original PostTetsuo87 wrote:image form khara website

I swear, that image screams "Asuka...in SPAAAACE!" I guess they would have to come with the obligatory "cat ears"...Asuka sure is getting the raw deal when it comes to apparel in Rebuild. Yeesh. In other news...its nice to see its official title. For some weird reason I don't see this as a depress fest as the original series. Why? Not a clue, just a gut feeling I guess. Asuka in space may have something to do with it. Revenge on Arael anyone?
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:20 am

I'm surprised people are getting so bent out of shape about the "(not)" title gimmick. You're surprised they're keeping it up? After they did two films that way, I assumed the others would follow. But it's such a superficial thing one way or the other, hardly worth getting angry about.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:08 am

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:Also, I was sort of hoping that Q would be the last one, it's murderous to be waiting for the next one.

BLASPHEMER!

:flamethrower:

He shall be sent to the gulags... yes...
Last edited by Monk Ed on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 am

Holy shit we got a title, damn I should be missing more from these boards seeing as everytime I come back there are miraculous updates on the Rebuild.

On the subject of title, this one actually made me lol irl for some reason. I just kind of find it a little bit flat, not sure why; guess it will do the job though, considering how much Shinji fucked up in the latest movie.
I believe a more appropriate title would be-

You can (not) unfuck. Unless this wild card stays for the last installment.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:41 am

Cool the title was announced just hope the wait for final is not that long.......
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:04 am

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned it, but if you think about it it is as clear as daylight:
The word REDO is the same as RETAKE.

Now I wonder if any element in ReTake will come up in 3.0 ....
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:08 am

Official 3.0 title: You Can (Not) Redo

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/ygbsm.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Oh well, sign me up to the camp that believes that the title referes to Shinji and others having to face the long-term consequences of their actions, ideas of responsibility and etc.

And i see Khara couldn't keep themselves from doing a fourth movie. Meh, i was hoping for one mindblowing installment for a conclusion instead of what i can't help but feel will end up as two "kinda okay" movies at best.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”