Is Rebuild the aftermath of The End of Evangelion?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Eva01Impact
Embryo

Is Rebuild the aftermath of The End of Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Eva01Impact » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:00 pm

I heard from someone on youtube that the Rebuild series is the aftermath of End of Evangelion. Because he said after third impact everything resets itself.

Just wondering if this is true info?

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:04 pm

No. At least, nothing suggests it.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Third Impact was to unite humanity into one form. Shinji made it so people can return to their human form if they chose to. Nobody said anything about Shinji turning back the time.

After all, if Third Impact made EVERYTHING reset itself, then after the GNR splits into pieces, we'd immediately go back to before the time of the dinosaurs, and the last scene of EoE might have been the first single-cel organism forming and becoming Adam, or however those Angels came into existence. Then evolution and all of world history would have to repeat itself between EoE and 1.11. EoE wouldn't have left us with an image of Shinji deciding that he couldn't strangle Asuka if something else entirely was being suggested.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Other "sequel theory" threads which are relevant here

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=4369
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=10973
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=6022
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9716
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9474
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=5955
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:12 am

No. No one knows for sure if Rebuild is a continuation or not.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:14 am

While some things hint to that, there is no real evidence.
We will have to wait and see if Rebuild 3.0 contains anything about that.
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:04 am

Well, most of the things that "hint" at in the movies is Kaworu being confusing (A.K.A. true to form), and Anno placing shout-outs to the earlier TV series.

But at the same time, nobody's even really known what Kaworu was talking about, not even back in the TV series. And Anno places NGE Easter eggs the same way he does Easter eggs from Godzilla, Ultraman, Battleship Yamato, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the like, which were never a part of the Evangelion continuity.

And seeing how everything else important for us to know at this moment in the franchise about Evangelion has already been clearly spelled out, it would seem out of character at this point in Anno's career for him to be cryptic about stuff we should have already known about the series.

If it is a sequel, let the series surprise you when it clearly reveals it at its own time. After all, story-telling is all about the thrill of discovering new things about the characters and the situations as they present themselves. If it's not a sequel, then just let the movie be what we already know it to be so far. After-all, story-telling is all about letting the story itself take you on all of these adventures, and not about the viewer deciding where he thinks the story should go.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: Is Rebuild the aftermath of The End of Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:21 am

View Original PostEva01Impact wrote:I heard from someone on youtube that the Rebuild series is the aftermath of End of Evangelion. Because he said after third impact everything resets itself.

Just wondering if this is true info?

Must be Mr. Masked Fail Guy Nuyawk Kamen Rider Rudolph Snausages and his tendencies to go left field... Mostly his theories bordered on comedy gold.

Okay, on topic: my current position is that Rebuild is not the continuation of EoE. Rather, I view Rebuild more as a separate alternate retelling of the saga... at least, until I get to see all of Rebuild.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:31 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:No. At least, nothing suggests it.

Oh, come on. The sequel theory came about for a reason. There are TONS of mysterious references to EOE (many of which have been explained, yes), that the creators went out of their way to inject. You can't say that Kaworu's words don't necessarily suggest it.

Like everyone's said, no one knows for sure. I don't think it is, but I kinda hope it happens. It would make people around here really, really mad, which would be fun :lol:

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:42 pm

^EGF always held a strong opposition against the "sequel theory" afaik; personally I wouldn't exclude it at all, unlike other works (Sadamoto's manga, NGE2, Anima) this is something that Anno is writing, and he's giving hints that NME could be somehow linked to NGE. Maybe he's just trolling us, or maybe he's trolling us by letting us believe that he's trolling us when it's not the case.
Anyway I agree with Someone, there are hints but no conclusive evidence, we'll have to wait.

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:00 pm

View Original PostEva01Impact wrote:I heard from someone on youtube that the Rebuild series is the aftermath of End of Evangelion. Because he said after third impact everything resets itself.

By the way, that is not me.
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:11 pm

View Original PostSomeone wrote:By the way, that is not me.

Indeed your nickname is quite a misleading one. I've used the "bold" tag just to evidence that I was referring to you (but in that contest it wasn't absolutely necessary).

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Oh, come on. The sequel theory came about for a reason. There are TONS of mysterious references to EOE (many of which have been explained, yes), that the creators went out of their way to inject. You can't say that Kaworu's words don't necessarily suggest it.

http://i.min.us/id8d6k.jpg

HOLY SHIT AKIRA AND FALLOUT ARE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:09 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:HOLY SHIT AKIRA AND FALLOUT ARE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE.

That's Half-Life..... :fuyu_facepalm:
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:48 pm

(that was the joke)
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Who cares about artistic integrity these days

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:16 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Oh, come on. The sequel theory came about for a reason. There are TONS of mysterious references to EOE (many of which have been explained, yes), that the creators went out of their way to inject. You can't say that Kaworu's words don't necessarily suggest it.

Like everyone's said, no one knows for sure. I don't think it is, but I kinda hope it happens. It would make people around here really, really mad, which would be fun :lol:

It would has be funny in the sense that people here that have reiterated time and time again that both are separate works that should be judged separately would have been totally wrong! :>

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Who cares about artistic integrity these days

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:41 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:It would has be funny in the sense that people here that have reiterated time and time again that both are separate works that should be judged separately would have been totally wrong! :>

"Totally wrong" is probably an exaggeration, no matter what the ultimate truth (or ambiguity) turns out to be. Ever see people trying to make sense of certain details in NME by conflating information from both series... even in spite of flagrant contradictions?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

and despite what 3.0 promises to be.

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Much like how a number of people's faith in 3.0 is based upon the structure of the TV series, despite what 2.0 was.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:25 pm

I think the topic you've looking for is in a different castle.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Bring me!

I agree, might be a good idea to get back on topic.
The Moats of Quotes

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”