Spears (Lances) of Longinus & Cassius

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:11 pm

I wonder...maybe the gem is some sort of control device, and if you remove that it'll revert into a more 'familiar' form
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:47 pm

I would doubt that they'd go messing with the Lances physical properties however I agree that that gem is going to have some sort of effect or abilities. Maybe a core for the spear...
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Dranzer
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Dranzer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:16 pm

Maybe it's like the Evas core...
Evangelion Genocide:chapter 14?!
CYOA:A Character Insert :D
And waiting for Evangelion 3.0 Q Quickening...Next summer,dudes! Or maybe before summer?:O ;)

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:08 pm

I would guess it would hold a specific soul or trap the souls or energies of whateveer it defeats

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:06 pm

wonderluster wrote:I would guess it would hold a specific soul or trap the souls or energies of whateveer it defeats

I wasn't aware Lancea Longinus now came with a PokeBall...
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Unashamed troper.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Teague wrote:
wonderluster wrote:I would guess it would hold a specific soul or trap the souls or energies of whateveer it defeats

Im thinking more of a ghostbusters sort of capture, you remember when Unit 00 threw the Lance and it not only went through the angel but seemed to almost drag it inwards in a spiral fashion? That's what Im thinking. And then the energies could be released when one wills it.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:53 pm

wonderluster wrote:And then the energies could be released when one wills it.

I choose you Arael!
Unashamed troper.

Dranzer
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Dranzer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:55 pm

wonderluster wrote:
Teague wrote:

Im thinking more of a ghostbusters sort of capture, you remember when Unit 00 threw the Lance and it not only went through the angel but seemed to almost drag it inwards in a spiral fashion? That's what Im thinking. And then the energies could be released when one wills it.

Yeah,yeah,this makes sense.
Evangelion Genocide:chapter 14?!
CYOA:A Character Insert :D
And waiting for Evangelion 3.0 Q Quickening...Next summer,dudes! Or maybe before summer?:O ;)

TaintedHero
Adam

The Second Lance, and 3.0 trailer (spoiler?)

•      
  •      

Postby TaintedHero » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 am

While I was re-watching the preview for 3.0 something caught my attention. Kawaru throws a lance of longinus impaling unit-01 and thus stopping the third impact. What throws me off is what is restraining lilth/adam(whoever it is rebuild now). From my understanding of what I thought happened was during the beginning when lilith crash landed on earth, lilth's spear was destroyed/damaged. I assume that in order for what has led up to the neon genesis world the history would stay the same from NGE to rebuild. So, how did they get another spear/how are they restraining lilth/adam now? In the preview it shows unit-006(kaworu) descending to dogma to see lilth/adam, so my assumption is he did not get the spear from lilth/adam.

Just my thoughts, is my knowledge of the history of NGE wrong or is Anno just throwing more twists in. From the looks of the trailer its going to be one hell of a 3.0.

Discussions about the 3.0 trailer can also be made here as I had a few other things I saw, this being the main one.

disclaimer - I am new to this and did not see a thread like this already and apologize if anything is wrong. Screen shots can be shown, but on request, because its a pain having to take them.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:34 am

Dude, the history of NGE don't work here.

There seem to be four Adams, and each has a lance. Whether Kaworu's is one of those, a cloned Lance ala the MP Evas, or Lilith's, is completely unknown.

Don't it suck?

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:36 am

that's the beauty of fucking with viewer expectations, folks
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Aozora
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Aozora » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:08 am

I recall seeing a Lance wrapped up and floating in one of the moon scenes. Obviously the Lance Kaworu uses is not the one impaling Lilith.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:50 pm

View Original PostAozora wrote:I recall seeing a Lance wrapped up and floating in one of the moon scenes. Obviously the Lance Kaworu uses is not the one impaling Lilith.

Nor is it a Lance of Longinus at all, by the looks of it - although obviously NGE's Lances could change shape without much hassle so that doesn't go for much. At any rate, it's not identical to the one stuck in Lilith or the four present at Second Impact.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:58 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Nor is it a Lance of Longinus at all, by the looks of it - although obviously NGE's Lances could change shape without much hassle so that doesn't go for much. At any rate, it's not identical to the one stuck in Lilith or the four present at Second Impact.

It could very well be a LoL, as to what the other spears are actually called, I don't think it's yet been specified, in being so, I think it'd be safe to call Kaworus Lance of Longinus, maybe to differentiate, a Lance of Longinus 2 or LoL2, and if the other three lances are introduced at some point, Lol3 and LoL4, that is unless they're given actual names which in the case that 3.0 comes out, they will.

As for the the looks of it, if the LoL could change shape, then I'm willing to bet the others could as well, and being the freak that he is, I'm willing to bet Kaworu already knows the secrets of the Lance and probably knows its secrets already.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:18 pm

View Original Postwonderluster wrote:As for the the looks of it, if the LoL could change shape, then I'm willing to bet the others could as well, and being the freak that he is, I'm willing to bet Kaworu already knows the secrets of the Lance and probably knows its secrets already.

Maybe. It certainly has Lancea Longini's "kill god" function inbuilt. However, there's no storytelling reason for it to look different from the Second Impact Lances or the Level-EEE Lance unless there is intended to be some difference. At a guess, I'd say it's Lilith's Lance - but of course that's just a guess.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:59 am

How 'bout it's a replica Lance, only with a more fabulous design? Well, it's not like we can decide on a definitive answer through fanwanking, but this is my theory.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:34 am

remember that the harpy had the blade that turned itself into what resembled the lance in EoE?

this could be the same case here...but who knows?
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 am

It ISNT the one seen in Terminal Dogma (Which looks like the old LoL), it has a slightly different, 'curved' design.
It could be a replica, or Lillith's Lance that somehow stayed intact in Rebuildverse. (Nice Irony - Adams Lance binding Lillith, Adam, or the boy with his Soul using Lillith's Lance, Lillith's Lance impaling it's sucessor)

Multiple Lances were seen in the SI flashbacks - either four or, two and the shadows of those two (Anyone have a screenshot?)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:27 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Multiple Lances were seen in the SI flashbacks - either four or, two and the shadows of those two (Anyone have a screenshot?)

Four in two pairs; they aren't shadows since the light is coming from below them.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:46 am

K, definitely four. Kaworu's could be one of those in the front.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”