What do you want to see in Q and Final?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Grimmjow wrote:
Xard wrote:
SaltyJoe wrote:@Xard:TROLL

Remember Rei can't go on living without pill popping. If she stops that, well, we've all seen EoE. Based on Shinji's actions in 2.0 conclusion he wouldn't be able to go on living without Rei isn't that unbeliavable either

SaltyJoe wrote:But, i think there is an unsolvable problem regarding a full blown Rei/Shinji ending, stemming from this whole "Great Mother" issue.

Unless Weva goes 180* on Eva there's no way R/S happens, exactly for thematic reasons.

This can be solved through...Instrumentality with da Rei, or Rei coming out after Instrumentality fails.

This new Eva already seems to be taking a different approach to things.

On another note I want to see Shinji shout, "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?" and punch Gendo in the face.

We're talking about symbolic and metalevels of NGE. Whether Rei comes or does not "come out of instrumentality" is utterly irrelevant

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:18 pm

SaltyJoe wrote:@Xard:TROLL

But, i think there is an unsolvable problem regarding a full blown Rei/Shinji ending, stemming from this whole "Great Mother" issue.

No, i'm not talking about the "OMG! It's teh incest!" argument. Rather, a thematic gripe.

For all we know, Rei is a clone of Shinji's mother carrying the soul of an entity who is the mother to all earthly life, kept for the Angels. Having Shinji hook up with her in a definite manner at the end of all things... well, it would be the symbolic equivalent of tearing open mommy's birth canal and crawling right back into the womb. It would be like an act of ulitmate regression. Being stuck with the First Other forever.

And, since there is no time to develop any other believable relationship between Shinji and another person, i think the ending will be pairingless (at least for Shinji. Misato/Kaji might still have a chance).

Mating with the creator of humanity =/= crawling back into her womb. Besides Rei is not Lilith herself she is merely a Lilim made from Lilith with some of Yui's DNA.(similar to Kaworu having the soul of Adam).

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Grimmjow wrote:Mating with the creator of humanity =/= crawling back into her womb.

I wrote:...it would be the symbolic equivalent of tearing open mommy's birth canal and crawling right back into the womb.

It's not about who she is, in my view, at least, but what she represents in the world of Evangelion. She is her own person, yes, but on a symbolic level, she is the fountainhead from where all non-Angelic life on Earth originates. Going back to her, staying with her at the conclusion of the story would be like saying "Screw evolution and going forward, we'll all be fine spending our days in the cradle from which we came from".

One may argue that the person who is Ayanami Rei could be separated from the soul of Lilith, thus giving her a seperate existence by some sort of plot magic, but personally, i think that would be a case of sacrificng something elegant from the story for the sake of pleasing shippers.

In fact, i think that a good way of closing the door on Eva once and for all would be to have every single siginficant member of the cast besides Shinji die in various blazes of glory, without get out of Tang free cards. IMO, if Shinji were able to learn from and value the various sacrifices of others, find the capacity for inner happiness and move on, that would provide an ultimate sense of completeness.

Okay, Mari can survive to, but she goes back to wherever she came from, and never meets with Shinji again.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 pm

I agree with SaltyJoe that a tragic end for Rei is most likely. The message of Eva is "Move out of your parents' basement and get a life, you filthy otaku," not "Have a chick who's just like Mommy take care of you forever because you're you." Rebuild Rei is pretty much Nia and Jocasta rolled into one.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

MastaEgg
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MastaEgg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Then who will buy all their excessive merchandise?

dylkimaloc
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dylkimaloc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 am

Utada Hikaru. :w00:
Life's not a garden, so stop being a hoe.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 am

dylkimaloc wrote:

Utada Hikaru. :w00:

Of course!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Am I the only one who finds a non-tragic, but non-super HAPPY DESU end for Rei likely?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm telling ya it's gonna be an ending similar to Diebuster. The end of the universe/super crisis will be prevented at the 24th hour by Rei giving her life (or singularity in Diebuster terms). Shinji, through his interactions with everyone, but especially Rei, will come to terms with who he is and his father's neglect. And the happy end will thus be similar to NGE in that Shinji will finally accept who HE IS and live a full life accepting just that.

The happy ending is a confident stable Shinji. (Though I hope we don't have an epilogue with a mid 20s Shinji...but who knows, Anno could pull it off- that would give Sadamoto a reason to be designing characters for the film).

I can't see Anno going with a shipper ending. That's never been part of Evangelion (outside the fanbase wishes of course) and that's not been part of Rebuild either.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:42 pm

What would I want in 3.0 and final...
-Mind rapes
-Asuka-Mari Asuka-Kaworu interaction
-The new evas AND the Mass producion evas
-The reiquarium
-The old music (Aleluyah, Amen, Ode an die freunde and Air), if not, at least something way better than "Carnage" and "In my spirit"
-The trowing (or should I say, interestelar launch) of the lance of Longinus
-Kaji's death (AND by death I mean not just a "bang" in a black scren, some bleeding out please...)(AND at least know who did it Anno!)
-Another MALE pilot (I think the reason everyone hates Shinji it's 'cuz he's the only pilot among girls)(and by male I mean not another sexually ambiguous dude like Kaworu)

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:24 pm

A little Mari and Rei interaction could be interesting.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Possible re-do of the Episode 23 Big Irony Bomb Scene that drives the whole series into Shinji/Misato territory. Just for the ability to say: "Yeah, Anno went there."
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:00 am

SEELE-01 wrote:I think the reason everyone hates Shinji it's 'cuz he's the only pilot among girls
Not the usually stated reason ... you're actually closer to the secret of Evangelion (that it's a genben version of the usual mecha anime set-up).

Perhaps Toji might be the pilot of EVA-08...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

konfunoodle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby konfunoodle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:57 pm

I would like to see myself in the last two movies with my own badass Eva(better than anyone else's), kick the crap out of the SEELE members to let them know who's boss, and do some one night stands with most of the female cast just to mess with thier feelings more.

Actually it would be nice if Shinji was let into the light on exactly what the hell is going on around him and I would like to this to end with closeur for once. That or have Pen2 be a piolet or an angel.
You don't know you're wearing a leash if you sit by the peg all day.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:42 pm

konfunoodle wrote:I would like to see myself in the last two movies with my own badass Eva(better than anyone else's), kick the crap out of the SEELE members to let them know who's boss, and do some one night stands with most of the female cast just to mess with thier feelings more.

Actually it would be nice if Shinji was let into the light on exactly what the hell is going on around him and I would like to this to end with closeur for once. That or have Pen2 be a piolet or an angel.

:asuka_stare:

I don't know what to say.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:32 pm

In response, allow me to change my wish to a giant disco party at Nerv headquarters during 3I in which if you stop dancing, Rei tangs you.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:38 pm

ran1 wrote:In response, allow me to change my wish to a giant disco party at Nerv headquarters during 3I in which if you stop dancing, Rei tangs you.

Now THAT is a Beautiful World
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:42 am

I just want more Mari :toothy:

A bit of Asuka/Kaworu battle over Shinji would be hilarous with Rei all like :rei_meh: in the corner.

I'm sure there's other things I'd like to see I just can't think right now.

KaaVI
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby KaaVI » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:38 am

i would like to see some adhesion to the manga like in volume 9 with the showe scene between Shinji and kaworu as well as the kissing scene in volume 10.

the anime didnt explore Shinji's love exept with Asuka, we sorta need a 3rd wheel.

when i saw EoE a few years back i was happy to see kaworu make an apperance in "comforting" Shinji

i would also like to see Asuka kill mari.....we dont take lightly to newcomers (well i dont).

i would like to see Rei not get blown up in a self distruct stunt and i would love to see mass produced evas again

i would also like to see the universal reset button that Shinji used back in EoE
Kaworu is in my bed, all is right with the world.

Octahedron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Octahedron » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:36 am

A sort-of-happy ending. Nothing too happy (this is Eva after all), but perhaps the cast could end up facing their problems and trancending them. And then getting turned to tang.

Also, the Magoroku-E. You know, the big progressive sword that comes with every Unit 01 action figure ever. About time we'd actually see it in action. The could be an epic fight scene between Unit 06 wielding that spear from the end on 2.0 and Unit 01 wielding the Magoroku.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”