A.T. Field Deployment

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
EVA X
Lilith

A.T. Field Deployment

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:46 am

Does any AT-Field need to be deployed in order to protect an Angel, or is it for EVA based defense?

For example...when Sachiel arrives, and the army unloads all that artillery on him, he's undamaged. However, he doesn't form an AT-Field to protect himself. Infact, he doesn't form a field to protect himself until the Beserk EVA Unit 1 goes on the rage.

The same thing goes for Shamshell and Zeruel, so is an Angel already immune to conventional attack, and the AT-Field is for heavier attacks?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:01 am

For example...when Sachiel arrives, and the army unloads all that artillery on him, he's undamaged. However, he doesn't form an AT-Field to protect himself.

He does use his ATF. Gendo and Fuyutsuki comment on this ("Is that an A.T. Field?", "Yes. Traditional weapons are completely ineffective against Angels."), and the polygonal force field manifestation can even be seen -- for about a frame -- right as Sachiel braces himself for the initial assault.

The A.T. Field is essentially a projection of the soul, and it's always there in some form or another. When it is "deployed" -- and they don't necessarily have to announce when this happens -- it can be used for a variety of reality-bending psychokinetic purposes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 am

Reichu wrote:
For example...when Sachiel arrives, and the army unloads all that artillery on him, he's undamaged. However, he doesn't form an AT-Field to protect himself.

He does use his ATF. Gendo and Fuyutsuki comment on this ("Is that an A.T. Field?", "Yes. Traditional weapons are completely ineffective against Angels."), and the polygonal force field manifestation can even be seen -- for about a frame -- right as Sachiel braces himself for the initial assault.

The A.T. Field is essentially a projection of the soul, and it's always there in some form or another. When it is "deployed" -- and they don't necessarily have to announce when this happens -- it can be used for a variety of reality-bending psychokinetic purposes.

Man, I missed that...I just saw Gendo mention it, but I never saw it. Time to clip search.

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Another thing, what about when we see the actual explosions hitting Sachiel's body? No visible AT Field can be seen, is the protection skin deep?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Are you sure any of the explosions (except the mine, obviously) are directly in contact with his body? Here, for example, it's apparent that the explosions are striking an invisible wall.

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

EVA X
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby EVA X » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Hm, when the image is frozen, they do seem to be hitting a wall. When in motion though, it seemed like they struck the Angel.

Guess I'm wrong again, heh...

Starasp
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Starasp » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:48 pm

EVA X wrote:Hm, when the image is frozen, they do seem to be hitting a wall. When in motion though, it seemed like they struck the Angel.

Guess I'm wrong again, heh...

Only very powerful AT fields end up being visible.
My handwriting is atrocious, so I cannot sign my signature. Sorry for any trouble this may cause.

"We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you." -Legion

"The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!" - Ford Prefect, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:19 am

Just a thought,

Couldn't they just have a Eva run out there, neutralize the ATF, run back, and then pummel the Angel with conventional weapons?

Or would it just be easier to have the Eva fight while it's out there?
Lolfreudian

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Re: Does an AT-Field need to be deployed...

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:32 am

EVA X wrote:In order to protect an Angel, or is it for EVA based defense?

For example...when Sachiel arrives, and the army unloads all that artillery on him, he's undamaged. However, he doesn't form an AT-Field to protect himself. Infact, he doesn't form a field to protect himself until the Beserk EVA Unit 1 goes on the rage.

The same thing goes for Shamshell and Zeruel, so is an Angel already immune to conventional attack, and the AT-Field is for heavier attacks?

i think an angels ATField unfolds automaticly, its natural to them. its a natural function.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:43 am

shinjidoggysasuka wrote:
EVA X wrote:In order to protect an Angel, or is it for EVA based defense?

i think an angels ATField unfolds automaticly, its natural to them. its a natural function.

I don't think an Angel's ATF is like a reflex. I think that they are able to full control it.
Lolfreudian

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm sure an Angel could get it's AT Field up the second it's no longer being neutralized, considering it's a facet of their mind.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

LordCaldwell
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LordCaldwell » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 am

Couldn't one make the argument that it's AT field WAS actually broken? When they hit him with the N^2 mine, he stops his attack (kinda) and his weird gills have been melted, as well as he grows a new face.
Lord C.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:48 am

LordCaldwell wrote:Couldn't one make the argument that it's AT field WAS actually broken? When they hit him with the N^2 mine, he stops his attack (kinda) and his weird gills have been melted, as well as he grows a new face.

The N2 mind was powerful enough to damage him despite the AT Field, but that does not necessarily mean the AT Field was broken. There are very few cases where the AT Field is broken as opposed to simply penetrated. Actually, I believe the only time is when Unit-01 goes berserk on Zeruel and completely shatters his AT Field. Yeah, Unit-01 tears through Sachiel's AT Field, but that was more of a neutralization of the AT Field.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:33 am

EVA X wrote:For example...when Sachiel arrives, and the army unloads all that artillery on him, he's undamaged. However, he doesn't form an AT-Field to protect himself.
Your screencap-fu is weak, Grasshopper...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Sachi wrote:Actually, I believe the only time is when Unit-01 goes berserk on Zeruel and completely shatters his AT Field. Yeah, Unit-01 tears through Sachiel's AT Field, but that was more of a neutralization of the AT Field.

Two different ways of showing the same thing. In both cases, the Eva is using her ATF to rip through the ATF-barrier projected by the Angel. However, the Zeruel case is several times more badass, since she neutralizes the barrier AND does a ton of physical damage in one go.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:20 pm

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:18 pm

^
that needs to be a T-shirt.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:17 pm

okay, so it needs to be a t-shirt in my closet.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:36 pm

I think there is a shirt like that but the dude is riding a giant ameoba(spelling?)
Lolfreudian

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”