Shinji's swimming ability

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm

^ Try the different Japanese encodings under the "View" menu of your browser. One of them should work.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:22 am

Archive.org serves pages as ISO-Latin-1, if it gives an encoding at all, so either tweak the page rendering in your browser, or go automatic:-

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2Fweb%2F20021217023212%2Fwww.age.ne.jp%2Fx%2Ft-igrs%2Feva%2Fserifu%2Fserifu.htm&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

GoatMan
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby GoatMan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:40 am

So, from what I've heard so far, the MP Evas are not associated with the moon at all, meaning they're not of Adam, or was there some other wacky thing Anno had to say?

As for Shinji's escape from the plug, while he could pull a Highlander, and walk his way back to land from the bottom of the seat, it sounds more like the plug floated. At least, anyone with half a brain as an engineer would make something that contains a person and could be jettisoned for retrieval to float in water or denser materials.

The whole "floating to the surface" thing does actually sound more like an overstylized reformation from being turned into Kool-Aid.

Then again, I think it would have been far better if Shinji and Asuka ended up together with EoE going something like this

Shinji: "I used to hate this stuff!"
Asuka: "I can't imagine why..."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:00 am

GoatMan wrote:So, from what I've heard so far, the MP Evas are not associated with the moon at all, meaning they're not of Adam, or was there some other wacky thing Anno had to say?

:???:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

yokuchi
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby yokuchi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:11 am

At first I thought everyone was reading too much into the whole swimming thing...

...But then I remembered the scene when he was having that introspective major depressive episode on the bus, and he mentioned his swimming incompetence. Maybe his ability to swim at the end, and his sudden competence, is a direct manifestation of his self-acceptance. In accepting himself, rather than being a puppet of instrumentality, he exercised his free will. Tabris (Kaworu), the angel of free will, was often associated with water (he was seen standing by the water several times, his surname has something to do with the seashore, etc). Perhaps Shinji was able to swim his way through the mourning process, and that allowed him to move on to the future on the shore.

Maybe it's not all that philosophical. Maybe it's a big-fat-gaping PLOT HOLE. That seems most likely. Sadly.
insert witty and offensive political banter here

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:31 am

thats kinda what I said. ^^^
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:26 am

yokuchi wrote:At first I thought everyone was reading too much into the whole swimming thing...

...But then I remembered the scene when he was having that introspective major depressive episode on the bus, and he mentioned his swimming incompetence. Maybe his ability to swim at the end, and his sudden competence, is a direct manifestation of his self-acceptance. In accepting himself, rather than being a puppet of instrumentality, he exercised his free will. Tabris (Kaworu), the angel of free will, was often associated with water (he was seen standing by the water several times, his surname has something to do with the seashore, etc). Perhaps Shinji was able to swim his way through the mourning process, and that allowed him to move on to the future on the shore.

Maybe it's not all that philosophical. Maybe it's a big-fat-gaping PLOT HOLE. That seems most likely. Sadly.

Or he floated to safety. He literally can't drown in LCL.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:44 pm

So is it that hard to believe my earlier suggestion that he simply floated to shore? I mean, we see him in Scene 11 bobbing up and down when he surfaces as well as when the audience sees him from the distance when Shinji asks "But, what will you do, mother?" :???:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So is it that hard to believe my earlier suggestion that he simply floated to shore?

Is that the sort of thing that's likely to happen in any kind of timely manner?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Floating alone in a sea of people juice with nothing but a huge creepy smiling head on the horizon for company is good motivation to learn.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Alternatively, floating alone in a sea of people juice with nothing but a creepy smiling head on the horizon for company is good reason to have SUPERHUGEEYES for the rest of your life.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:03 pm

both duties are concurrent.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:46 am

I always figured the ocean was really just really, really salty after an LCL/blood infusion.

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:27 pm

It cant be a plot hole since he could sink to the bottom and walk to shore,but i just thought it was a weird senario.

TheLobe
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheLobe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:21 pm

can you drown in LCL. doesn't it mean you dont have to breath or something.

NegativeCreep
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NegativeCreep » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Though I can't swim myself, I think I could make my way to shore though some LCL (after recomposing my corporal body for God's sake, a little god damned LCL sure as hell isn't going to kill me now!).

I'd like to note that, while it's probably just an inconsistency, we never see anything seem to want to float in LCL. For example, you'd think Asuka's hair wouldn't remain picture perfect, if it was less dense.

But again, *that* seems like an inconsistency out of convenience.

I think it's a fair assumption to say that LCL is considerably more dense than water.
This Space Intentionally Left Blank

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm

TheLobe wrote:can you drown in LCL. doesn't it mean you dont have to breath or something.

They do liquid breathing inside the entry plugs, so no, you can't drown in LCL.

It would have been funny if the pilots voice's would have changed accordingly on being submerged in the liquid. Shinji's screams would have been hilarious.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 pm

SaltyJoe wrote:It would have been funny if the pilots voice's would have changed accordingly on being submerged in the liquid. Shinji's screams would have been hilarious.

Submerged vocal cords can't vibrate fast enough to make any sound at all. That's why dolphins and whales produce sounds in their sinuses instead of their throats.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:30 pm

and yet Shinji can scream his heart out while in the plug all the time

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Yes, but only because LCL is magical. And before anyone says that it has to do with it being electrolyzed, in the first episode Shinji says his "Kimochi warui" line before the LCL was electrolyzed.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”