Evangelion 2.0: Start Your Engines!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:59 am

Well who knows now. I figure I'll take a wait and see outlook.

I mean we haven't really heard anything new on Parts 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 in almost a year. From the initial announcement (2.0 in January 2008) it looks like maybe they were a bit too over zealous in their initial announcement. Especially since it looks like 2.0 will be releasing when 3.0 and 4.0 probably should've been. Perhaps it'll be a repeat of Death and EOE. Weren't they originally announced to play as one film and then they had to split up because of Anno's over ambition.

Maybe they have been both lengthened to 60 minutes or longer to strengthen the story. Most likely that's just wishful thinking but at this point, other than Anno, who knows.

One thing I do know is that is really cruel if they release two hour long films and play them seperatly and make people pay twice. Aren't movie tickets in Japan roughly about $15 (that's called exchange).

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby honsou » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Its interesting how they are slowing changing things from the original story. I really cant wait to see whats going to happen in the next movie, what will change? What will stay the same? I'm starting to get really excited :grin:

V
Banned

Postby V » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:52 pm

I for one am not in a hurry for the movies to end; think about it, Eva is finally NEW after years, why would we want it to be "old" again so soon?

Well, I do want to see Rebuild-Asuka (don't we all) but after that Rebuild 3.0 can take as long as it wants.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

OtakuCrave
Embryo

Postby OtakuCrave » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:36 pm

I agree with seeing the changes. The changes seen in Rebuild have only enhanced the experience for me. Usually it's the opposite; hindering it.

I also agree with V. I want to savior the experience of the Rebuild series, and they can take as long as they wish! After seeing the 2.0 preview though, I can't wait to see what Anno has in store, and it seems like he has A LOT of innovative ideas already set into place.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:05 pm

OtakuCrave wrote:I agree with seeing the changes. The changes seen in Rebuild have only enhanced the experience for me. Usually it's the opposite; hindering it.

I also agree with V. I want to savior the experience of the Rebuild series, and they can take as long as they wish! After seeing the 2.0 preview though, I can't wait to see what Anno has in store, and it seems like he has A LOT of innovative ideas already set into place.

I don't recall anything innovative. There was this cool shot of "Adams" but there wasn't exactly anything innovative about it. :unsure:

I'm worried about Evangelion 2.0. They have to seriously drop down number of angels. In that way they might be able to fit in enough awesome combat sequences AND character development ( remember that for action show NGE's first half has relatively few minutes of combat. Only few minutes of each episode usually consisted of combat ). I think this should be more like 120 minutes movie than 90 minutes. Roe 1.0 didn't exactly feel like long movie to be sure. It could've had more lenght without any damage.

Okay, it still MIGHT work in 90 minutes, but they got this genious idea of putting new character in the show! GG and Eva-05 are going to take their chunk of the time and unless Eva-06 and Kaworu comes in the movie near the end (meaning their development and focus on them is shifted into 3.0 ) there seems to be no way they can pull it off.

Trying to compress 12 episodes and having a new character introduced PLUS two new EVA's in just 90 minutes sounds like nightmare.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:29 pm

I just want to hear ode to joy again...
and a deathmatch between K and Shinji
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:05 pm

I hope they'll keep the idea of the 12 angels coming from the move. This way they would be able to scrap most of the original angels they don't need and focus more on character development.

Ayana-Me
Adam

Postby Ayana-Me » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:43 am

Well the fansub has Fuyutsuki saying that there are 8 more angels at 68 min into the movie. This includes Ramiel, so my list for the rest of the angels is: Israfel, Sahaquiel, Bardiel, Zeruel, Arael, Armisael, Kaworu. The first four being in 2.0. Why include Israfel? Two reasons: Shinji + Asuka bonding :thumbsup: and http://www.evastore.jp/index.cgi?rm=det ... 4=2%A1%DE0

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:58 am

Xard wrote:Trying to compress 12 episodes and having a new character introduced PLUS two new EVA's in just 90 minutes sounds like nightmare.

It's not as if they have an obligation to actually follow any more of those 12 episodes than they want to. "Rewrite of Evangelion", and all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:02 am

There are eight more Angels after this one: Twelve Angels and Two SoLs. Good enough mix. Apart from Bardiel, the other Angels could be Giant Marshmallow Men as far as we know.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:20 am

I have this insatiable curiosity to see what sorts of hideous things they would do to "upgrade" Zeruel for the 2000s.... (Unless they'd go the Sachi route instead and basically do nothing at all.) We need the Asari Trio in Rebuild!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:21 am

Reichu wrote:
Xard wrote:Trying to compress 12 episodes and having a new character introduced PLUS two new EVA's in just 90 minutes sounds like nightmare.

It's not as if they have an obligation to actually follow any more of those 12 episodes than they want to. "Rewrite of Evangelion", and all.

I don't know, in trailer there's a lot similar footage and wasn't story supposed to really start differ at 3.0 (with whole "80 % of it will be entirely new" thing) and these first two are quite similar to TV-series.

Of course they're going to cut down number of angels (Bardiel is definetly in and I'm 100 % sure Zeruel is too. Other likely one being Israfael for reason Ayana-Me said), but even without angels they have awfully lot of things to fit in.

If it's going to work well it needs to be heavily rewritten. A lot more than 1.0 atleast which hamfisted first two episodes pretty badly ( and it only dealed with 6 episodes), otherwise movie was great.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:51 pm

Wait a minute.

Remember, Sachiel was the Fourth Angel.
So if Geno said there were Eight more angels before Ramiel, the Sixth Angel in this continuity, then there would be Thirteen Angels total. Eleven not counting Adam and Lillth. Unless the Third Angel is considered to be one of the eight-now-seven.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:24 pm

There may be 8 Angels left but you have to include the Mystery Third Angel (unless Fuyutsuki does....the number means they were just identified, not necessarily defeated).
I for one feel that the Third Angel is going to be Kaworu's Eva. If they can hold onto Adam as a tiny fetus, and staple Lilith to a big ominous cross (its effective but probably not rational), then why can't they turn the Third Angel into a full on Eva.

Hence- Kaworu on the moon saying "Ah, the Third, you haven't changed at all" and you get the wide reveal of the scrawyn Stay Puff Marshmellow man. Makes sense since Misato says if an Angel ever crosses the Triple EEE level the place will self-destruct, what better way to stay alive than in an Eva.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:53 pm

Reichu wrote:I have this insatiable curiosity to see what sorts of hideous things they would do to "upgrade" Zeruel for the 2000s.... (Unless they'd go the Sachi route instead and basically do nothing at all.) We need the Asari Trio in Rebuild!

I know what to do. Put a gigantic G.I. Helmet on Zer's head, give him eyelids (so he can blink), toss him a rocket launcher that can fire nuclear warheads, and let him go about laughing(yeah, make him laugh! :mwahaha:) and blowing things up.

Or better yet, make him all white and shape his head like a chef's hat, so that he becomes a colossal stay-puft marshmallow man, and Yui-sama with her photon blaster gets to dine on a heap of yummy marshmallow.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:24 am

@Ursus: In your dreams man, in your dreams...

About Zeruel, though, it's likely they won't change anything except for a more powerful feel to it. Making it more sinister, perhaps? Possibly the same with Sachiel; they'd probably make it more dangerous instead of changing the physical details of it.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

M. Magdalene
Embryo

Postby M. Magdalene » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:40 am

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v3328034qszB ... 31&rank=10

English subtitles built in version. You'll need to subscribe to Veoh channel to watch the whole thing, and depending on your connection speed it could take hours to download. However, subscription is free and it's all there.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v3320420fySs ... 627&rank=0

Glasses girl looks really cute.

BEsERk EVA01 told me to post this here. So, yeah. I've been looking all through these posts and I never saw a link to this. All anybody was talking about was the thing with the Chinese subtitles. But whatever. I still think it deserves it's own post though, but would it get wiped, is that the problem? It'd get erased?

Ah well.

.....Still cool though.... :woohoo:
"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad-"
"How do you know I'm mad?"
"You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:33 am

AchtungAffen posted this link in the IRC channel: http://contents.innolife.net/news/list.php?ac_id=6&ai_id=81091

Looks like it says "Japan this winter, the upcoming sequel EVANGELION: Division "?

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:03 am

"Winter"? Does that mean that we're still months away from Rebuild 2.0? Jeez! :duhme:

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:05 am

It said:

日本で今冬

In Japan, this winter.

I suppose we should be weeks away? Although it seems strange, no advanced ticket sales nor anything. Last time they started selling tickets like 2 months before.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”