Angel-Instrumentality vs. Human Instrumentality

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
V
Banned

Angel-Instrumentality vs. Human Instrumentality

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:56 pm

I am not sure about something:

This is more or less the "Angel Life Cycle" in which Life culminates in Instrumentality:

Adam--->Angels--->Return to Adam--->Instrumentality

Adam creates its progeny, the Angels, which then go out in the world and grow and mature....apparently not eating or anything, the only energy they get derived from their S^2 Engines, all it takes is time.

After a given amount of time (15 years apparently) the Angels mature, then return to Adam.

The reunification of Adam with one of its mature progeny results in the Angel-dominated version of Instrumentality, elevating Angels to the next evolutionary level of existence, and killing all non-Angelic life that might be on the planet (i.e. humans).

I'm not sure why Adam needs a mature Angel to do this, but okay.

Still, the Angel-version of Instrumentality seems like it is "naturally occurring": how does the Lilim-version of Instrumentality occur, *naturally*?

That is to say, it seems that Seele tried to force the hand of evolution, rather than a natural process.

....then again, Angels can't really think that much, and it makes sense that their version of Instrumentality would be rather simple.

****Perhaps the progeny-Angels are supposed to compete for who gets to reunite with Adam, i.e. Zeruel will probably get to Adam and be the focal point of Instrumentality, while Matarael (ha!) is left in the dust.

Maybe the "Lilim-version" of Instrumentality is SUPPOSED to involve scientific manipulation, because Lilim are sentient? That is, if the whole point of Lilim is "they're not very powerful but their sentience allows for intelligence and scientific knowledge and [gendo]science is Man's strength[/gendo]...maybe the First Ancestral Race intended it that Lilim would only achieve Instrumentality by rediscovering Lilith and reuniting with her.

In which case.....why doesn't Seele simply reunite man with Lilith?

Interesting question.

My theory is that Seele's line of thinking was "Some is good, but All is better"

That is, why reunite with Lilith....when they could cause the forbidden fusion (forbidden even by the FAR) of Adam and Lilith (both fortunately on the same planet)....and thus fuse to become a god-like being rivaling the power of even the god-like First Ancestral Race?

While under NORMAL circumstances, Lilim-dominant Instrumentality, achieved simply by reuniting with Lilith, would elevate Lilim to the "next stage of evolution" but NOT "true godhood"

Meanwhile, the Angel-dominant version of Instrumentality would thus actually not elevate the Angels to "godhood" either, though it would kick them up to the next evolutionary step, and kill all humans in the process.

What do you think?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:27 pm

I think all of Angel-Instrumentality was an attempt to kill off all Lilith-derived life on Earth so that they could repopulate the world in peace. It might have been an emotional condition set by the catastrophic mess that 2I left behind. Instead of coming to a blank slate of a world, they came to a world already populated by their antithesis, and chose to return to their mother to fix things for them.

Seele probably overreached with the process of steering mankind's evolution, but in the absence of the FAR we'll never clearly know if evolving to a superorganism really was the evolutionary path they had in mind. The fact that Adam-derived life was roped in to complete the evolution of Lilith-derived life suggests that this shouldn't have happened or at least should have happened a few hundred million years later.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:43 pm

How do we even know that Angels returning to Adam would instigate Instrumentality? Instrumentality was created through the forbidden fusion of Adam and Lilith. Not Lilim and Lilith. So, maybe Adam-based life wished to return to Adam in order to resurrect their mother. It's never explicitly stated what WILL happen when Adam's progeny reach Adam. Perhaps Adam's progeny would use their S2 engine somehow to restore Adam from her embryonic state. Perhaps it would create another 2nd Impact.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:07 pm

So what happens in the natural "Angel Cycle"?

"An Angel returning to Adam would kill the human race"....do we know if this would elevate the Angels to the next evolutionary step?

And why did Seele think humanity was at an evolutionary dead end?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Re: Angel-Instrumentality vs. Human Instrumentality

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:08 pm

V wrote:....then again, Angels can't really think that much, and it makes sense that their version of Instrumentality would be rather simple.

You're going to contend a species that can turn itself into such things as the embodiment of an abstarct mathematical formula or a living super computer doesn't think?

@topic, what Shiro said.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:17 pm

Yay! I was right for once!

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:14 pm

You're going to contend a species that can turn itself into such things as the embodiment of an abstarct mathematical formula or a living super computer doesn't think?

The Angels can "think" only on an animalistic level for the most part. A few like Leliel or Arael were sort of intelligent but Armisael was the only one who showed true "sentience". (Tabris doesn't count).

"Intelligence" and Science is Man's strength, just as incredible super-powers are the Angel's strength.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:21 pm

Animals can't create mathematical equations most Lilim can't comprehend. Just because Armi was the only one given a voice doesn't make her unique. And Kaworu does count cause it's just Adam's soul in a new shell. Take what you learn at the end and apply it to the begining.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Animals can't create mathematical equations most Lilim can't comprehend. Just because Armi was the only one given a voice doesn't make her unique. And Kaworu does count cause it's just Adam's soul in a new shell. Take what you learn at the end and apply it to the begining.

I put Seeds of Life like Adam/Tabris and Lilith in a different category.

Nonetheless, Angels don't benefit from scientific knowledge the way humans do.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:01 am

So? It's something they have no need for but that doesn't make them stupid.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:32 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:So? It's something they have no need for but that doesn't make them stupid.

What made them stupid was how they all lumbered (or floated) into Tokyo one right after the other, and got soundly beaten by the Evas, with no strategies for self-preservation whatsoever.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:24 am

So plot device=stupidity? Anyways you're wrong. Ireul tried to blow-up NERV HQ, Sahaqiel tried an orbital bombardment, Bardiel hijacked an Eva and used it against them, etc.

typo
Last edited by Anonymous_Evafan on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:27 am

Don't forget the nanomachine tried to blow it up.

They really didn't just lumber in, each one had ways of subverting Nerv's pre-established security, but the Lilim's greatest strength is adaptation and science.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:38 am

That was Ireul

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:59 am

Damn, I always forget his name. (I never liked that episode much anyway...:P)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:17 am

It isn't that Angels aren't intelligent, they seem to lack imagination. (This answer, oddly enough, props up in one of Michael Chrichton's weaker works, Sphere). The Angels, for all their prowess, do not have the level of understanding or imagination that human beings have. Ireul was as intelligent as the Magi, and possibly close to sentience as well. But was Ireul (Or even Armisael) equipped with the same intelligence as humans have? It's very debatable.

If the Angels were truly as intelligent as us, if not more (Leliel, Armisael, Ireul and possibly Arael), then what keeps them from being Gods and not Angels? Something is screwy. What do we have that Angels lack? We know what we lack- an S2 engine and that screwy Particle-Wave Matter. What does an Angel lack?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:41 am

What you have to keep in mind is they can't think the way we do. They have never been forced to adapt with the exception of Ireul. They can't use their powers to their full potential because they have a fundimentally different way of looking at the world. This doesn't make them stupid, it's just their nature. We think the way we do because of 50,000 years of evolution coping with our shortcumings as we go. They didn't have to do this so they think differently.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:39 am

Yes, the Angels are "stupid". Well, some are sentient many only on an animalistic level.

Angels benefit from the Fruit of Life, thus with S^2 Engines they have unlimited power.

Humans don't, but they do benefit from the "Fruit of Knowledge" and intelligence. Humanity's strength which the Angels do not possess is intelligence and science.
Who is "Codename V"?....

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:16 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:What you have to keep in mind is they can't think the way we do. They have never been forced to adapt with the exception of Ireul. They can't use their powers to their full potential because they have a fundimentally different way of looking at the world. This doesn't make them stupid, it's just their nature. We think the way we do because of 50,000 years of evolution coping with our shortcumings as we go. They didn't have to do this so they think differently.

It's like AEF has some sort of information source about the Angels nobody else has access to. Have you secretly been living amongst the Angels, and studying them for the past few years? Have you been accepted into Angel society? If so, I want an autographed copy of Angels in the Mist, whenever you write it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:11 am

no need to gang up on AEF Brikhaus
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”