Thoughts About Evangelion Biology

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:30 pm

That's a fine counterexample to intelligent design, but in this case we can assume the engineers who built the system and grew the eva are a little more conscientious then random acts of evolution.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:25 pm

The weird turn in the conversation seems moot, anyway, since according to Anno's unused scenario there are no longer entry plugs and pilots are surgically implanted into the Evas' uteruses instead. I'd guess this would be by Caesarian... though slicing through the rectus abdominis right before sending your giant warrior into battle seems a little counterproductive.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:36 pm

I think we're all avoiding the obvious question here. If EVAs are essentially giant humans, how do they go to the bathroom? :lol:
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:59 pm

You know how they're kept in a lake of LCL...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:32 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:I think we're all avoiding the obvious question here. If EVAs are essentially giant humans, how do they go to the bathroom? :lol:

They're giant cybernetic humans, and they have been modified extensively to suit the purposes of their creators. The fact that they run on external electrical power and have sealed mouths is good indicator that their digestive system is unnecessary. Though, it is very possible that they do have a full digestive system that's simply vestigial; they have teeth at least, and what they swallow has to go somewhere to be processed, even if it ends up being absorbed entirely without waste.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Well, the MP Evas were able to "eat" Unit 02, and even Unit 01 was able to use its mouth to tear Zeruel apart. So I would imagine that Eva units do have a functional digestive system of some kind.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Eva-02 sure seems to have a full digestive tract. They even animated gas coming out of the intestines as they were ripped apart. (Raising the question in turn of what was generating said gas.)

In episode 05, when Eva-01 and -00 are standing around up to their waist in coolant, there is some vague mention of waste fluids being vented to a purification system. This gives me a bad mental image of catheters shoved up in dark places, but who really knows.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:22 pm

So, I wonder what Evangelion eat.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So, I wonder what Evangelion eat.

I would have assumed they'd have nutrients pumped directly into their bloodstream, but that doesn't explain the gas... Maybe they shove feeding tubes down their craws and maintain them on a liquid diet. Nobody ever notices Eva flatus because it smells like a fresh breeze. They are gods, after all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:32 pm

I assumed the very fact that the run on electricity supplied by a cord supplants any kind of digestive system.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:39 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I assumed the very fact that the run on electricity supplied by a cord supplants any kind of digestive system.

Unless the Evas are capable of converting energy into matter (as per the Angels), they will need to engage in material assimilation in order to maintain their bodies.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:04 pm

I assumed that assumption was implied by my supposition, get jiggy with it.

I still like the idea of some poor schmuck being on Eva dental hygiene detail.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:40 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I assumed that assumption was implied by my supposition

I assumed that your supposition implied the exact opposite...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”