Would Rei survive in Gendo's plan?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

Would Rei survive in Gendo's plan?

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:01 pm

So his plan is to reunite with Yui through Rei as Lilith using 3rd impact, ok. If this plan were to succeed perfectly, would Rei join Gendo and Yui afterwards in instrumentality or would she die/exist as Lilith. I would like to think that she would, showing that Gendo still cares but it was just necessary to reach the end goal where they can all be happy. Together, as a family. I am sorta confused about this so what do you guys think, any thoughts.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:12 pm

This is actually an interesting question, but I think the driving question behind it is "How much does Gendo actually care about Rei?"

We see him smile in her presence a couple times throughout the series, yet he keeps her in absolutely squalid conditions. This juxtaposition suggests that he sees her only as a tool to reunite with Yui (whom she resembles very closely) and that her importance is only to the larger plot of bringing Yui back rather than Gendo actually attempting to live with and have a good relationship with Rei. Maybe he chose not to for the same reasons he abandoned Shinji, but the show never point-blank addresses why he sent Rei off to live in the projects, so we are left to infer that he cares about what her actual image and appearance represents (i.e. the return of Yui) rather than her as an actual person. Bottom line: He's far too damaged at this point in the series to want to reunite with anyone but his wife and only saw Rei as an important tool to reach that goal.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Rei is an aspect of Lilith. She can't really be killed.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:27 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:he keeps her in absolutely squalid conditions.

Correction: she keeps herself in squalid conditions because she just doesn't give a shit. If Rei wanted to move we don't have any real reason to doubt that he would have a problem with it.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Doesn't give a shit, or doesn't know any better?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:37 pm

How old do you have to be to rent an apartment in Japan? I mean, her arrangement must've been set up by someone.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:37 am

It depends on your reading of the ending(s); reading EoTV as Gendo's good end (as he is indeed re-united with Yui at the last), Rei is around just like everyone else.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:47 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:How old do you have to be to rent an apartment in Japan? I mean, her arrangement must've been set up by someone.

I guess the apartment was probably set up by Gendo/Ritsuko, or Rei claimed squatters rights. Im unsure about the age somehow as to be to rent an apartment in Japan but it's frequent in anime to have 14 years olds or younger living alone. Mostly for a lot of stupid reasons or to force events.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It depends on your reading of the ending(s); reading EoTV as Gendo's good end (as he is indeed re-united with Yui at the last), Rei is around just like everyone else.

Probably should have said I was talking about EOE, but since Rei appears in instrumentality to Shinji im guessing it would be safe to say that she would also be there with Gendo. I was very curious about this, since Gendo has no plan to cancel instrumentality, Lilith wouldn't fall apart and thus Rei would be part of the human conscious as a whole. Keeping her alive, or at least in our terms, rather than becoming quantum. Thoughts.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:This is actually an interesting question, but I think the driving question behind it is "How much does Gendo actually care about Rei?"

It is clear that he does, there's far too many hints to say Gendo doesn't, but maybe he only did what he had to in order to achieve his goal, knowing that he was using Rei and it was wrong but necessary as in the end, she would join with him.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:13 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:How old do you have to be to rent an apartment in Japan? I mean, her arrangement must've been set up by someone.

Well, the are the apartment complexes were in was under construction at the time. Whereas that’s annoying to live next to, that doesn’t make the conditions of the apartments themselves unlivable.

But Rei was in charge of keeping her own apartment in order. Maybe they gave Rei a small budget to decorate and furnish the place, but she just decided to go with the hospital bed and a place to stash her clothes when she’s not wearing them. Probably because it reminded her of where she was born, which she considered “home” at the time. (This would change by EoE, when she joins with Lilith.)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, the are the apartment complexes were in was under construction at the time. Whereas that’s annoying to live next to, that doesn’t make the conditions of the apartments themselves unlivable.

Correction, the apartment complexes were under destruction, the decrepit state of the hallway to her apartment clearly indicates that people abandoned that place since some time ago. Whoever chose that apartment was fine with it since Instrumentality was scheduled for before the demolition team get to her building.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Whoever chose that apartment was fine with it since Instrumentality was scheduled for before the demolition team get to her building.

I wonder what happened to all the milk set to expire two days after Instrumentality.
the prophecy is true

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:27 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I wonder what happened to all the milk set to expire two days after Instrumentality.

Erm, any thoughts on what the topic is actually about.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I wonder what happened to all the milk set to expire two days after Instrumentality.

It would evolve into a new lactose-based Seed of Life. The world is subsequently covered in yoghurt. All hail the Dairy God.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:24 am

I really don't understand the question. In EoTV we see Rei's fate, and in EoE we likewise see her fate. Where is the confusion?

If you're asking what would have happened in EoE had Rei chosen to go along with Gendo's plan: after the effort to salvage/recover Yui failed I believe Gendo's plan amounted to "get back to Yui, do whatever she wants." I don't think he really had a plan for Rei (or much of anything else) beyond that. As such, the answer is much the same as what we saw in EoE: Rei would have stuck Gendo in Unit 01, Unit 01 would have been transformed via Lance/Lilith, and Lilith would die thereafter (after starting/stopping/whatever Seele/Instrumentality/whatever).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:48 pm

In the NGE2 ending where Rei does go along with Gendo's plans (or, alternatively, where you're playing as Gendo and Rei doesn't revolt), it's implied that Rei continues to exist inside Eva-01. But for whatever reason she appears older (Lilin!Yui age). That's all I remember right now.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Better than wandering around Earth forever, I guess. Assuming she still gives a fig about Gendo and/or Yui at that point at least.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:33 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:In the NGE2 ending where Rei does go along with Gendo's plans (or, alternatively, where you're playing as Gendo and Rei doesn't revolt), it's implied that Rei continues to exist inside Eva-01. But for whatever reason she appears older (Lilin!Yui age). That's all I remember right now.

That's interesting to note, thanks.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:33 pm

It depends on your definition of 'survive', but it has to be noted that Gendo, as he outright states in EoTv and constantly implies with his cynical talks with Fuyu, is a true believer in his version of Instrumentality and geniunely thinks it's the best for everyone/ the only way for humanity to survive.

That is often overlooked maybe because "selfishly sacrificing everything so he can have that thing he wants" sounds more like what a (cheap cartooish) villain would do, or because, well, we obviously wouldn't want to have our world destroyed, but while he'd sure like his wife back and longs for her/ uses that to motivate himself, that is not how he sees it/operates.

The Yui situation is merely one symptom of a larger problem Gendo has, which is rooted in some inherent degree of social ineptness ("...the formless, intagible things between people" that he doesn't really get due to EoE - and in fact, his plans end up not working because his underlings (Rei, Shinji, Ritsuko...) betray him/ he fails to catch on to their growing dissatisfaction), but becomes truly 'problematic' mostly by his way of dealing with it, or rather, not dealing with it, puttig it on the back burner and resoving to explain/fi it all some day, some time, when, or rather if, his plan works out and instruentality magic does it all for him, and it is this that gives him the kind of outlook on the world where Instrumentality looks like the only way.

Somewhat like Shinji's situation with Kaworu, Gendo happened to meet someone who was unquestionably nice to him and, believing himself to be utterly undeserving, percieved it as an unexplicable miracle out of heaven/ fluke of fate that, once lost, was unlikely to ever be found again, because they don't see themselves as being able to make people like them or go forward in life by their own strenght, it can only come from the outside.

Figures that Gendo, if only by extension, thought that Instrumentality would be genuinely desirable for Shinji and Rei as well. He is genuinely attached to her, but never considered her PoV/how that makes her feel, less out of malice than ineptitude, and having all his energy invested in other things, ie, the plan/ instrumentality day. Gendo's not that invested in the present.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”