Where can one get a good End of Eva poster?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ari
Adam

Where can one get a good End of Eva poster?

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Hey! I really, really want a poster version of the cover of the End of Evangelion, but first of all, there are no official ones I can find. Also, the quality of the third-party ones I've found seems to really differ in quality, and I'm not sure I can find one in a good enough quality/size. Would any of you recommend specific places?

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:20 pm

I assume you're talking about the US domestic cover with the giant Rei head -- have never seen that on a larger poster than the ones that came with the DVDs themselves (and those are all creased up).

There's a company called Asylum Anime that specializes in authentic Japanese posters and other imported goods and can hunt down vintage stuff for the right price. As regular dealers at Otakon, they've supplied the vast majority of my poster collection. Note that the similarly-named Anime Asylum is a different company.

An old otaku that I know also once recommended Anime Jungle as another company that could hunt down import goods.

I have a 1997 Japanese theatrical EoE poster that I've debated selling as well, btw.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:04 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:I assume you're talking about the US domestic cover with the giant Rei head -- have never seen that on a larger poster than the ones that came with the DVDs themselves (and those are all creased up).

That's because said piece of art was never intended to be used as a poster, as it was created specifically for the Japanese Laserdisc box set of the movies, which easily explains its original square aspect ratio.

All Manga did for the US DVD release was to add some black space above the square-shaped jacket art to fit the rectangular aspect ratio of DVD cases, and then slapped a logo and tagline in that space.

Laserdisc jacket art:

Manga DVD cover:

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:48 am

I have seen a few like this on Amazon. Thoughts? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KK6HADY/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1436197365&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=end+of+evangelion+poster&dpPl=1&dpID=51KKg5CCoHL&ref=plSrch

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 am

That's just an exploded version of the DVD disk cover. I wouldn't spend money on it, but that's me.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:22 am

Here's a different question, where could someone get the Japanese poster?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Here's a different question, where could someone get the Japanese poster?

eBay. There's several listings of it there currently.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:24 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Here's a different question, where could someone get the Japanese poster?

Yeah, ebay. But they're sort of rare. If you find one you want to bid on, keep it quiet. Don't post about it on here, because someone might find that they want it too and fuck you over on it. And place your bid at the last possible minute.

I was able to pick up two circa 1997 Death and Rebirth posters which are now framed and in my room. I'm never selling them. I'd love to have a Japanese EOE poster, but originals are exceedingly hard to come by. I don't really care much for a blown up version of what's on the Manga DVD cover.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:36 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I was able to pick up two circa 1997 Death and Rebirth posters which are now framed and in my room. I'm never selling them.

This one? That's the one I have.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:10 pm

No, this is one of them:

I can't find the other design on an image search, but both have 1997 copyrights on them and are both on the medium-large side.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:37 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:No, this is one of them:

I can't find the other design on an image search, but both have 1997 copyrights on them and are both on the medium-large side.

I have that one as well. Still haven’t framed it yet. Need to do that before the Blu-rays arrive.

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:30 pm

hm. i might settle for a smaller version of the End of Eva poster, if the only larger ones are blown up. a lot of the eva posters haven't really satisfied me. or, i might get this one:

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:No, this is one of them:

that is a beautiful design. it seems like the most popularly sold posters are the Asuka phone booth one this one: [img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDM5Ng==/z/aT4AAOSwGvhT5kUN/$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007[/img]

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:08 am

That last one is not a poster but the boxart from the Bandai Perfect Grade Eva-01 model kit. Specifically that's the version of the image that appears in the Die Sterne artbook because it has the elements rearranged.

Here is the actual box:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:07 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:That last one is not a poster but the boxart from the Bandai Perfect Grade Eva-01 model kit. Specifically that's the version of the image that appears in the Die Sterne artbook because it has the elements rearranged.

Here is the actual box:

Jeez, I can't trust any of these Eva poster sellers >.< most of these aren't even posters. what about this one? [img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDQzOQ==/z/RHMAAOSw6BtVSmb8/$_35.JPG[/img]

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:18 pm

View Original PostAri wrote:Jeez, I can't trust any of these Eva poster sellers >.<

You would be extremely hard pressed to find a legitimate source for official posters in the west.

Everything gets scanned, shopped, and reprinted.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:39 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You would be extremely hard pressed to find a legitimate source for official posters in the west.

Everything gets scanned, shopped, and reprinted.
it's not so much about authenticity/being official as much as it is about quality. a few posters like that that I have gotten before seem like they've tried to turn a 12" image into a 40" image and it gets blurry in the process.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:50 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You would be extremely hard pressed to find a legitimate source for official posters in the west.

Having been through a few Mandarake branches, Nakano Broadway, and a good chunk of Akihabara on several occasions without much success, I'm sort of unclear on where to find them in Japan, either.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”