EoE Ritsuko's Last Scene: Gendo's Unheard Line

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:49 pm

View Original Postiwillrevealthesecret wrote:EXACTLY, therefore it can't be the right line since the correct line would take an entire 7 or more seconds...get it? lol

I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that Gendou is speaking for more than seven seconds from.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

iwillrevealthesecret
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iwillrevealthesecret » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:04 pm

ritsuko is a slutty ....
Last edited by iwillrevealthesecret on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love penpen

*returns to usual lurching spot*

do not use any of my posts as quotes

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:44 pm

That does not seem like a whole lot of justification for assuming Gendou was coming up with a whole soliloquy or something.

As for me, I subscribe to the interpretation that if it was particularly important what precisely Gendou said, it would be made particularly clear what Gendou said; as it is, it's not important that we know anything more than that whatever relationship there might have been between the two of them has utterly disintegrated. "I needed you" would be a nice parting shot, but ultimately we don't hear it because the sound of the disintegration of a relationship isn't a one-liner: as the film later chooses to remind us, it's silence.

or uso to chinmoku, maybe.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

iwillrevealthesecret
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iwillrevealthesecret » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:33 pm

obviously there is more to it than just that of course - more than what i have suggested to you so far.... anyway at this stage im simply trying to suggest that the "i need you" theory just feels abit "off"

But you know what? there is actually a chance that the REBUILD version might succuumb to fandom and decide to do the "i loveyou" or "i need you" simply because that's probably what the fans want to see...lol

In some sense I partially agree that its probably not really important what the words were....but, there is a twist to it - there's actually some "cool " reason for REBUILD to indeed come up with something like a "reveal" for this one (as well as another mystry involving the same characters- also a "cool" one)

and i'll retract my previous statement that the manga version was crappy because I can't really think of a good way to do this scene "right" in a manga format.
Last edited by iwillrevealthesecret on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love penpen

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:40 pm

I have a compromise that may stop this worthless back and forth: person with a secret, make a cryptographic hash precommitment - this sort of application is literally what they were designed for, proving to everyone that you knew statement X at time Y, while not revealing statement X to anyone until later.

Use an online calculator like http://www.fileformat.info/tool/hash.htm , punch in a short summary of your idea, and tell us the hash. Then in 2013 or whenever, you reveal the short summary, we check that the short summary hashes to what you posted, and then we go 'oh, I guess he *did* have that idea back then'.

For example, I could post right now 'ee05d63f5c9d841bd4d543694a0cfd6aa023dc9cf81b1ce2ebf7e02a42b73f80cf5c1661c9e58b14e9590341d3590a5a692429892e11b06d364e3b052d187269'

and then tomorrow, I reveal that the input was 'I do not have a secret' and everyone can check that that hashes to ee05d63...269.

There, problem solved! Now post the hash of your idea and we can all shut up.

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:11 pm

I always assumed the silence was a very deliberate choice. It doesn't matter what Gendo's saying to Ritsuko. He's a liar. Which pretty much sums up the way he made use of her.

iwillrevealthesecret
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iwillrevealthesecret » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:16 pm

the md5 was basically just filled with crap

althought i do like ritsuko somewhat as a character despite her true nature
Last edited by iwillrevealthesecret on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
I love penpen

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Doesn't look like Ritsuko is listening to Gendo when the camera pans to her face, it looks like she's mulling over what he just said.

Also, MD5 collisions makes the hash useless and only lazy people or people who don't care that what they hash can be cracked. Microsoft update's MD5 signed cert was what the Flame virus took advantage of by using collision to infect computers in the middle east.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:35 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Also, MD5 collisions makes the hash useless and only lazy people or people who don't care that what they hash can be cracked. Microsoft update's MD5 signed cert was what the Flame virus took advantage of by using collision to infect computers in the middle east.

MD5 is perfectly adequate for this use - you'll notice that the posted hash is not one of the hashes from the rainbow tables indexed in Google, as one would expect of what is presumably a multi-word sentence in natural English. (Although best practices is certainly avoiding it for any use whatsoever since it is both insecure and slow.)

iwillrevealthesecret
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iwillrevealthesecret » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Evaunit18 is a superstar, btw dood who are you supposed to be in that other movie you were talking about before?
Last edited by iwillrevealthesecret on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
I love penpen

EvaUnit18
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EvaUnit18 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:14 am

"i am casper"

iwillrevealthesecret
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iwillrevealthesecret » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:55 pm

you should "take off every zig" for that cool scene we were talking about
Last edited by iwillrevealthesecret on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
I love penpen

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:17 pm

I'm still not seeing an argument here; just a bunch of derp from some git who thinks he's clever. Live up to your handle and tell us what's on your mind or GTFO.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

iwillrevealthesecret
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iwillrevealthesecret » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:51 pm

CLEANED UP THIS MeSS
Last edited by iwillrevealthesecret on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love penpen

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 pm

View Original Postiwillrevealthesecret wrote:*Sigh* it is only a completely harmless joke....please remember im trying to help you...we're all fellow fans here so no need to be rude...ok? I understand that there are minors on this forum and people who dont speak native english but would EvaUnit18 or someone else or maybe one of the admins like to help out Bagheera please? Thanks in advance.

Condescension really isn't helping your case. If you're really trying to help why not state things plainly? Your approach here can't help but cause problems.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

iwillrevealthesecret
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iwillrevealthesecret » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:04 pm

ITS OKAY EVERYONE...EVERYTHING UNDER CONTROL HERE......JUST LOOK AWAY !!!!

And hence, we ALL love penpen....
I love penpen

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:00 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Umm... Are you taking into account that the line would be in Japanese? In English it would be too short. It seems to me that there's a post here somewhere where someone (maybe Reichu?) says that in Japanese the length is just right. (Couldn't find it with a quick search, but I'll keep looking.)

Well, hang on. Both other instances of "I NEED YOU" are in english, so why not this line as well? The line being in English originally could have been the perfect reason for leaving it silent. As amusing as the thought of Gendo mouthing "eye need-uo ywe" is, I am being mostly serious here.

Also, this bump comes with a general public advisory against further joke interpretations in this thread.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Well, hang on. Both other instances of "I NEED YOU" are in english, so why not this line as well? The line being in English originally could have been the perfect reason for leaving it silent. As amusing as the thought of Gendo mouthing "eye need-uo ywe" is, I am being mostly serious here.

I thought about asking why Gendo would would suddenly burst into English but, of course, he wouldn't be the first character to do so:

Misato wrote:"Yu ah numbah wan!"

But do you have any thoughts on why Ritsuko typed "I need you" in English?

I can't agree with those who say the line was muted because it wasn't important. It's being muted draws extra attention to it and marks it as being more important than normal, not less. Muffled lines in anime tend to be dramatic highlights.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:But do you have any thoughts on why Ritsuko typed "I need you" in English?

Some Japanese keyboards are configured to write in Romaji, which can also be used just to write in English.

Speculation of Gendo's line has been going on in my head for three years, and I haven't been able to come up with anything better than, "Um, it wasn't true, derp." Seriously, it may be more ambiguous than the opening wanker scene.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Some Japanese keyboards are configured to write in Romaji, which can also be used just to write in English.

So if they did most of their work in English that would explain why the "secret info" that Misato hacked was in English. Works for me.

[wikimg]File:M25 C058 gainax.jpg[/wikimg]
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”