EoE the aftermath

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Thats quite an interesting link either way

"'scuse me....mind yer backs...coming though...*splash*"
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Hmm... looks like the actual blast crater is about twice the diameter of the black moon itself, say ~28km. That's big enough that it could reach the Sagami Bay and means that, remembering the earlier study i linked, the crust under the crater is stripped almost all the way down to the mantle, even thinner than the typical oceanic crust.

I actually suspect GNR's head landed in the Sea of Japan based on the fact that mountains are still visible on the horizon, which after 3I should only exist to the N and W of Tokyo-3's former location. Depending on where the rest landed might there now be a pale-skinned landbridge to the mainland? That would make the oddly common "Let's hike to Germany!" fanfic plot rather interestingly more possible, and suggests a grissly new crossing scene I've never come accross before. Hmmm...
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:02 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Hmm... looks like the actual blast crater is about twice the diameter of the black moon itself, say ~28km. That's big enough that it could reach the Sagami Bay and means that, remembering the earlier study i linked, the crust under the crater is stripped almost all the way down to the mantle, even thinner than the typical oceanic crust.

I actually suspect GNR's head landed in the Sea of Japan based on the fact that mountains are still visible on the horizon, which after 3I should only exist to the N and W of Tokyo-3's former location. Depending on where the rest landed might there now be a pale-skinned landbridge to the mainland? That would make the oddly common "Let's hike to Germany!" fanfic plot rather interestingly more possible, and suggests a grissly new crossing scene I've never come accross before. Hmmm...

Is it common? I've seen it in Epilogue, but nowhere else.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:34 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Is it common? I've seen it in Epilogue, but nowhere else.

Thats a good question.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:14 pm

I know I've seen it elsewhere, but can't recall any off the top of my head. Feel free to ignore the comment for the time being.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:40 pm

the ecosystem is so fucked. can you imagine the negative effects this will cause on the planet? omedetō Shinji, you just threw evolution a few million years backwards.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:the ecosystem is so fucked. can you imagine the negative effects this will cause on the planet? omedetō Shinji, you just threw evolution a few million years backwards.

Not like we haven't done that already.

Seriously, ecosystem is fucked. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Evangelion's just honest about it.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

Postby skikes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 pm

You know, I've never thought about it. I've never seen a discussion on it either. Something to think about...
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:12 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Seriously, ecosystem is fucked. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Evangelion's just honest about it.

i am just imagining Asuka's reaction when she realizes in what kind of world she is going to live in for the rest of her life.

"i should have better stayed dead"

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:33 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:i am just imagining Asuka's reaction when she realizes in what kind of world she is going to live in for the rest of her life.

"i should have better stayed dead"

You don't have to imagine it; just watch the epilogue of EoE again.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:the ecosystem is so fucked.
Almost my exact thought on watching Rei's head splash down the very first time I watched EoE (it wasn't until much later I actually considered the extra fun that the gaping hole left by the GeoFront would add to the mix).

View Original Postskikes wrote:I've never seen a discussion on it either.
If you dig back in the archives far enough (about six years) you'll find some, though the original discussion was mainly on ANF. Here's one of the responses -- http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=16739 (at least the first page of the ANF thread it cites is available on archive.org). After a a few goes around, a tacit agreement to disagree was reached.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:40 am

I would like to point out that considering we are supposed to have a nuclear winter, the sky is surprisingly clear at night during One more final: I need you. (at least on the renewal rip I usually watch even if I do own the Mangle release) How is that stuff supposed to work, anyway?
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:40 am

View Original PostBiQ wrote:I would like to point out that considering we are supposed to have a nuclear winter, the sky is surprisingly clear at night during One more final: I need you. (at least on the renewal rip I usually watch even if I do own the Mangle release) How is that stuff supposed to work, anyway?

It doesn't. Analyzing it in terms of impact is silly, because GNR is a god. Even her death violates physical laws.

NGE's ecosystem is fucked, but not because of some sort of impact winter -- it's fucked because it was already fucked by Second Impact (well, before that, really; we're pretty hosed in the real world, after all, and SI would just be the final blow).

Mind you, something else will show up eventually. Earth is fine and dandy. The current scrub covering her surface is what's withering away at the moment.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:54 am

On a geologic time scale, I'm sure the ecosphere* will be just fine. (Terrestrial ecosystems will probably recover faster. Wish I could remember where my fanwankerific post about the ocean is...)

* Assuming this is what you mean by "the ecosystem".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:52 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:(Terrestrial ecosystems will probably recover faster. Wish I could remember where my fanwankerific post about the ocean is...)

I could have sworn I remember reading you discuss the matter somewhere in this thread. (Isn't that when Ojichan first joined ANF?) Or maybe it was a similar thread in that archive. Hope that helps?

As for my take on EoE's aftermath, my line of thinking is one of two things. Either the classic fanwank that 1) Lilith and Yui somehow lessened the effects of Lilith's impact (hah) into the ocean with their AT Fields.

OR

2) More likely, that Earth isn't as fucked over as some folks would like to think. If Earth was really screwed over, then there would have been some sort of tsunami impact or nuclear winter or what have you actually shown on-screen. Instead, we see trees (in the scene of Lilith falling) and in-tact albeit totaled cities during the final scene when Shinji was apparently in isolation for some time. And he doesn't look malnourished, instead, bug-eyed and freaked out due GNR/Harpies among other things.

TL;DR: Earth is more or less just fine but it doesn't help that life was already screwed (in a way) due to Second Impact as pointed out earlier.

Besides, I still maintain that the scenery of red soil, trees, a city, and then people walking in the city when Lilith, Adam, and Shinji say parting words of sorts (before the "I want to see them because my feelings were real" circa episode 15 group photo) implies that life will return to "normal" eventually.

Plus, there's that little magazine called Evangelion Chronicle which as Reichu once stated in some other thread, is humanity (implying they returned) looking back at Earth during the times of Second through Third Impact.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 am

Wow, that thread... Me and Steve-ojisan arguing. :lol: Good times... good times!

Speaking of which, only thing in there about the ocean is this, which you can was written during my manic phase even without looking at the date. (The messed-up formatting doesn't help it.) Okay, maybe it IS kind of funny.

I'm pretty sure the thread I'm thinking of was in Fandom (before Fandom was subdivided), and some guy was posing theoretical questions related to Third Impact or something. I bet my post wasn't nearly as awesome as I remember, but, still... I want to see it again, because I know my feelings at the time were real.

SSD wrote:]Besides, I still maintain that the scenery of red soil, trees, a city, and then people walking in the city when Lilith, Adam, and Shinji say parting words of sorts (before the "I want to see them because my feelings were real" circa episode 15 group photo) implies that life will return to "normal" eventually.

I can still remember where my old post about that is... Were you inspired by that?

Plus, there's that little magazine called Evangelion Chronicle which as Reichu once stated in some other thread, is humanity (implying they returned) looking back at Earth during the times of Second through Third Impact.

I won't take credit for the idea on why it's called "Chronicle"; I think that was someone else.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:32 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I can still remember where my old post about that is... Were you inspired by that?

Most likely, although I recall AnonymousEvaFan (I think Shin Seiki too?) batting that around in one or two threads (during the time when I was still a newbie on Eva Monkey Forums).

I won't take credit for the idea on why it's called "Chronicle"; I think that was someone else.

Ah okay. I thought it was you that put the idea forth, but that could just be my memory sucking.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:32 am

>Applying physics to Evangelion

Me and my suspension of disbelief will be over there in the corner laughing.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:38 am

Chee, can you stop it with the short, 4channish posts? I know you can do better than this.

Found it, and I was right. It wasn't as cool as I remember.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Perhaps organisms capable of withstanding these unusual environmental conditions [ocean full of LCL] right off the bat reconstitute themselves, which in turn dilutes the LCL content of the water. This allows more and more species to return until things are basically "as they were". However, I have no idea how long this process would take.

But I'm sure glad I don't have to type that again.

Also, SSD, the Chronicle thing is here.

And, wow, what's with all the crap I left in my last post? Just, wow... Need sleep so bad. :goes to edit:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:52 pm

On ecosystems:

I majored in Wildlife Biology many moons ago, then went on to study both the history and practice of wildlife conservation in graduate school (at two schools, no less). This has proven to be useless in my current field of employment, but it does mean I'm a bit of a wildlife/biology geek.

Anyway, what I've learned from all that is two things: first, ecosystems are fragile. Second, life is resilient.

No, really.

See, ecosystems are vulnerable to disturbance in lots of different ways, particularly when you're talking about big critters and critters who are dependent on established, large, or healthy ecosystems. These are the ecosystems that are dying today, and the ones that would be trashed by Second Impact. I'm not just talking about forests, either -- the melting of Antarctica's ice caps would destroy the Great Conveyor, the primary deepwater current that keeps the world's oceans productive. This is bad. Google it to learn why, but just take my word for it here -- it's very, very bad. 2I completely fucks the major ecosystems of the world, no question about it.

But, like I said, life is resilient. It adapts. Wolves die when they're forced to cope with civilization, but dogs and coyotes love it. Same genome, really, but the barest tweak makes all the difference. Same with scrub jays and ravens, and scads of other examples. Life goes on. Even if GNR did create tsunamis and and impact winter (and that's damn unlikely given what we actually see in EoE -- you can't use logic here when the events on the screen tell you outright that you're wrong!) life would go on, new ecosystems would form, and la de da de da. That's just how things go.

Will it be good for humans? Nope. Will it make recovery easy? Nope. Will people be able to go back to business as usual any time soon? Nope.

But are things really as fucked as all that? Nope. Does it really matter for the kids and their story? Nope. Human civilization recovered from 2I, and that was worse in terms of actual impact than 3I was (no, really; melting Antarctica is bad. It's worse than GNR falling down. By, like, a lot).

tl;dr -- you're watching NGE. You've already swallowed the whale. Stop choking on the damn gnats.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”