The Eva 3.0+1.0 Title

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:14 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Maybe one of the reasons it's taking so long for Final to come out is because they are trying to get the rights for NGE from Gainax because they want to make Rebuild a sequel or prequel?

Holy shit...that's actually an interestingly plausible idea.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:25 am

Still not back, just another popping in:

[url]http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.evangelion.co.jp/[/url] Evangelion.co.jp was used a good few years before NTE, for Renewal. (On a similar note, anybody else remember "Did you buy from EVA STORE?" :kensukecam: )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:28 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Holy shit...that's actually an interestingly plausible idea.

It's cranking the fanwank knob up to 11, but I kinda like it… if for no other reason than it's interesting to think about. I'm not sure how plausible it is.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:39 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Holy shit...that's actually an interestingly plausible idea.

It's really not. If Anno wanted to make the new movies a sequel to the original he wouldn't have set up the universe in such a way that that's flatly impossible. Instead he would have made, y'know, a sequel. What we're seeing here is dyed-in-the-wool confirmation bias: "I want the new movies to be a sequel, so I will spin absolutely every bit of news we hear such that it seems to confirm the sequel theory, even if it's completely unrelated." It's mushy-headed thinking at its finest.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:34 am

Third post I’ve made stating that a website addressed as “Evangelion” listing all of Anno’s works does only that. Something I’d like to see Khara do with any rights they might have with NGE, D&R, and EoE is actually produce a Blu-ray set. Yes, I know Episode 16 will need an upscale rather than a proper HD rescan. I don’t care at this point.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:46 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Yes, I know Episode 16 will need an upscale rather than a proper HD rescan.
It won't be an upscale, it will be an HD scan of sub-par quality film stock. Those are very different things.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:It won't be an upscale, it will be an HD scan of sub-par quality film stock. Those are very different things.

That's pretty much why I don't want a BD set for NGE; I don't think it would do the show any favors. Re-release? Great. But leave it at DVD so we can enjoy it without its many flaws smacking us in the face just that much harder.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:02 am

A BD set will happen though. It's unavoidable.

I don't know too much about the preservation of NGE - though I'm guessing it might not have been ideal since it was really meant to be just "another time filler" on a TV schedule until it caught on like lighting in a bottle - but I'm always hopeful.

Film preservation & digital restoration is a thing of magic. If the rights went to Khara & it was Hideaki Anno - the director of the project - overseeing a restoration & not just some Gainax studio head & an intern who has a basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop a real great BD set could be put out with pristine picture & audio quality. It'll never be Fantasia good but it could look better.

Like I said, I'm always hopeful.

P.S. Though we needed an End of Evangelion BD like 5 years ago.

P.S.S. I know we've only seen Ep 16 on a lesser print but man do I love the look of that episode. It's so stark, cold & rich with visual constrast. One of those happy accidents in my eyes.

P.S.S.S. We may be very off topic now.

P.S.S.S.S. I got nothing. It's just fun adding S's. Like a snake.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:03 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's pretty much why I don't want a BD set for NGE; I don't think it would do the show any favors. Re-release? Great. But leave it at DVD so we can enjoy it without its many flaws smacking us in the face just that much harder.

A DVD that doesn’t contain an interlaced scan of progressive video would also be nice. I’m not sure if that was indicative of all Renewal DVDs or just ADV’s Platinum Perfect release specifically, but I could really do without the choppy scan lines when I play it back on my computer.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:44 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Film preservation & digital restoration is a thing of magic. If the rights went to Khara & it was Hideaki Anno - the director of the project - overseeing a restoration & not just some Gainax studio head & an intern who has a basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop a real great BD set could be put out with pristine picture & audio quality. It'll never be Fantasia good but it could look better.

If Anno chose to do a full-blown restoration then yes, it could work. But is it worth it? I mean, do we really want him wasting his time with that instead of producing new work? The guy's life has been defined by Eva for twenty years already, and he still has to finish Final. Once that's done I want him to be done with Eva and move on, both for his own sake and for ours; it's time for him to create new things, preferably things that don't take such a horrific toll on him in the process.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:45 am

Hooray creating work for Monk.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's pretty much why I don't want a BD set for NGE; I don't think it would do the show any favors. Re-release? Great. But leave it at DVD so we can enjoy it without its many flaws smacking us in the face just that much harder.

Flaws really don't matter. I don't know how many HD remasters of old anime you've watched, but I've seen plenty and I can say with 100% certainty that the overall visual improvement (from better film scan and the BDs far superior encoding, since they're not plagued by the cancer that is MPEG-2 the DVDs are stuck with) will hit you in the face a lot harder than a few dust specs.

Actual positives of HD remastering >>>>>>>>>> Perceived negatives of HD remastering

I've said this a billion times in other places but there is a lot to be gained from a proper HD remaster of the TV series, mainly because the 2003 remaster doesn't live up that well even to DVD remaster standards.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:A DVD that doesn’t contain an interlaced scan of progressive video would also be nice. I’m not sure if that was indicative of all Renewal DVDs or just ADV’s Platinum Perfect release specifically, but I could really do without the choppy scan lines when I play it back on my computer.

Fiddle with your playback software, there should be multiple options for deinterlacing and at least one of them should fix the problem you describe.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:48 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Fiddle with your playback software, there should be multiple options for deinterlacing and at least one of them should fix the problem you describe.

Oh, I have. It’s resulted in everything from lower resolution (of DVD video no less) to in some cases missing frames. Finding the right balance is difficult and never produces a picture as good as a progressively captured video file.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:49 pm

If Nadia can get a blu-ray release, then it has to happen with NGE.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:30 pm

I too want nothing more than Anno to go off & do all original new projects after he finishes the 4th movie. But, I can't imagine a restoration of NGE would be all that much of a drag on Anno. It's the kind of work that he'd only have to oversee & approve of. The day-to-day, frame-by-frame cleanup work is something that would be done by a few magicians in a lab. All Anno would really have to do is sit in a screening room once or twice a week for a few hours, watch the work, scribble some notes & go back to his day job.

It's pretty common for established filmmakers in the West to oversee restorations of their older films while working on various current projects at the same time. Scorsese, DePalma, Spielberg, Baumbach, Linklater & more off the top of my head. Though I'm not sure about the Japanese animation industry. Drastically different system I'm sure.

Anywho, when a BD happens I'll gladly buy the set. But I want my EOE first or at the same time. (Ideally I'd like one perfect set of NGE, Death & EOE)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:37 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I too want nothing more than Anno to go off & do all original new projects after he finishes the 4th movie. But, I can't imagine a restoration of NGE would be all that much of a drag on Anno. It's the kind of work that he'd only have to oversee & approve of. The day-to-day, frame-by-frame cleanup work is something that would be done by a few magicians in a lab. All Anno would really have to do is sit in a screening room once or twice a week for a few hours, watch the work, scribble some notes & go back to his day job.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Well, as long as it doesn't drag him down or keep him from doing what he wants then who am I to say no?

Anywho, when a BD happens I'll gladly buy the set. But I want my EOE first or at the same time. (Ideally I'd like one perfect set of NGE, Death & EOE)

Agreed!

MrSniper1401
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrSniper1401 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:27 pm

http://evangelion.co.jp/

Not to add too much fuel to the sequel theory, but it is rather interesting that the Neon Genesis part of the link is predominantly black with white lettering and 3.0+1.0 is predominantly white with black lettering. Mere coincidence or not?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm really confused as to why Q is blue.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:31 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I'm really confused as to why Q is blue.
because everything is sad?
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Probably something about the sky.
Leave Shinji alone

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:58 pm

There was a post here somewhere about the color spectrum, and how all the colors of the films fit into it perfectly. Red, orange, blue... there was a theory that the color of the jacket for the last film was going to be violet.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”