FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:42 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I've never read it but look up Oedipus Ikari. From what I hear it's really dark but he doesn't learn about her until the end or close to the end.

It's a fine story. Pity the author wrecked it in the second half of the last chapter. He was doing really well up to that point, but chose to go with a downer ending because he couldn't be bothered to take the first half to its logical conclusion.

SPOILER: Show
I.e., Asuka blows up Armisael, since she damn well ought to be able to do the same thing Rei did in NGE, Shinji deals with Kaworu as before, and Instrumentality happens and everyone has to actually sort things out. That would have been interesting. Armisael!Impact/Everybody Dies is just a copout in light of everything that had been developed up to that point -- it's like the author said "oh well, Rei's gone now, rest of the story doesn't matter." Lame.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:09 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's a fine story. Pity the author wrecked it in the second half of the last chapter. He was doing really well up to that point, but chose to go with a downer ending because he couldn't be bothered to take the first half to its logical conclusion.

I.e., Asuka blows up Armisael, since she damn well ought to be able to do the same thing Rei did in NGE, Shinji deals with Kaworu as before, and Instrumentality happens and everyone has to actually sort things out. That would have been interesting. Armisael!Impact/Everybody Dies is just a copout in light of everything that had been developed up to that point -- it's like the author said "oh well, Rei's gone now, rest of the story doesn't matter." Lame.

Oh I bet it was a good story, it was recommended on TV Tropes afterall and the stories they listed were all pretty good except for maybe Father but then again I read it cause I'm a sucker for pregnancy fics :lol: My favorite being Redhead.

Also I'm not as interested in Rei/Shinji as I use to be, so I kinda don't want to read it. Pretty much now I'm strictly a Misato/Shinji or Asuka/Shinji kind of guy, more leaning on the Asuka/Shinji side of the fence cause I kinda read all the Misato/Shinji fanfics on FFN and Darkscribes.

I definitely don't want to read Oedipus Ikari now that you told me that Asuka dies, I really can't handle her dying :asuka_sad: Especially in fanfics, let the poor girl have a freaking break.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:29 pm

^
No, you misread what Bagheera said :
EVERYONE DIES, without Rei, Armisael reaches Lilith, starts Third Impact and everyone dies. End of the story.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby gorgeousshutin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Am serious craving more of That Which Could (not) Happen, which had abruptly slowed in updating as of late . . .
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:32 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
No, you misread what Bagheera said :
EVERYONE DIES, without Rei, Armisael reaches Lilith, starts Third Impact and everyone dies. End of the story.

Oh no I understood Good Sir
I'm okay with everyone dying, I just hate Asuka dying. It happens waaaaay to often. Far too many of bad things happen to Asuka in fanfics. I'm use to everyone dying though, now that I read Aoi. Like I said in a previous post, that ending was gut wrenching.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:11 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:
I definitely don't want to read Oedipus Ikari now that you told me that Asuka dies, I really can't handle her dying :asuka_sad: Especially in fanfics, let the poor girl have a freaking break.

Too true, man, too true. ;_;

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:46 pm

But everyone died, so how was it hate against Asuka specifically?

I personally found it very suitable, that the absence of that one girl no one ever really knew or... even mourned when she bites it in canon lead to a huge effect.

That doesn't mean the other characters are rubbish, that means that all of them contributed and things butterfly-effect to hell if you take someone out, especially if that someone was sheduled to have a trademark act of great heroism next.

*episode 12!Misato*
"No, it's just that we need all of your power to create a miracle...."
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:29 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:

The problem is less that she dies than that she dies without accomplishing anything, and this while doing exactly what Rei did in the series. So Rei could suicide and kill the Angel and Asuka couldn't, and no reason was given for the discrepancy. It was just a kludge the author used to set up his downer ending, and that's what sucked -- particularly since he had Shinji and Asuka begin to develop a bona fide friendship in the beginning of the last chapter. He could have gone places with that during/after Instrumentality, but nope! He decided to wuss out instead and call it quits. Very disappointing.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I personally found it very suitable, that the absence of that one girl no one ever really knew or... even mourned when she bites it in canon lead to a huge effect.

It didn't. It was completely arbitrary and, as I said above, completely at odds with what happened in the series. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the exact same situation, but it was the exact same situation. Except Rei got to do it an Asuka didn't, no reason given. So no, not suitable at all, particularly given the buildup earlier in the chapter. It was a copout, pure and simple.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:42 pm

I enjoyed the story right up until it got way too literal with the Oedipus references and punted the whole thing into the dumpster with a cop-out ending. That doesn't completely kill it for me, but it knocks it down a level or two, certainly.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 pm

@ Bagheera : Rereading the passage with Asuka in question,
the self-destruction didn't worked this time because Asuka got all smug and told to Armisael that she was gonna to blow herself up to kill him, to which he answered by getting the hell out before she explodes.
Rei managed to trap Armisael inside EVA-00 by "opening her heart" to him and deploying an anti-AT Field (although it's never explained how she did that, maybe some dormant Lilith powers) to suck him inside the Eva and keep him trapped inside, something Asuka didn't do, hence Armisael escaping. At least that how I think it happened.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:54 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:@ Bagheera : Rereading the passage with Asuka in question,
the self-destruction didn't worked this time because Asuka got all smug and told to Armisael that she was gonna to blow herself up to kill, to which he answered by getting the hell out before she explodes.
Rei managed to trap Armisael inside EVA-00 by "opening her heart" to him and deploying an anti-AT Field (although it's never explained how she did that, maybe some dormant Lilith powers) to suck him inside the Eva and keep him trapped inside, something Asuka didn't do, hence Armisael escaping. At least that how I think it happened.

I don't recall the story mentioning any of that, nor do I recall anything about an anti-ATF mentioned in ep 23. But it's a copout either way.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:43 pm

[quote="View Original PostBagheera"][/quote]
The problem is less that she dies than that she dies without accomplishing anything, and this while doing exactly what Rei did in the series. So Rei could suicide and kill the Angel and Asuka couldn't, and no reason was given for the discrepancy. It was just a kludge the author used to set up his downer ending, and that's what sucked -- particularly since he had Shinji and Asuka begin to develop a bona fide friendship in the beginning of the last chapter. He could have gone places with that during/after Instrumentality, but nope! He decided to wuss out instead and call it quits. Very disappointing.

Well that just makes me even more upset, definitely not going to read it :shakehead:

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:35 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:Too true, man, too true. ;_;

But killing her is ... so tempting.

I guess I didn't technically do it but still I can attest to it.

:devil:

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Hey Good Mams and Sirs I was wondering, what is your favorite Prodigal Son returning story for Shinji? I like Dark Kabbalah probably the most but there was one that I read a long time that liked more but I can't remember what it was called for the life of me.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Is it a post 3.0 AU?

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:47 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Is it a post 3.0 AU?

Nah, it's one that takes place after EoE. If you're interested I can give you a link.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:56 am

Y'know, there's been a lot of talk on EGF lately centering around the idea of Shinji as a villain. So, in the interest of contributing, I bring you this little gem I discovered yesterday (okay, maybe not "villain" minus a few bits, but he's a far darker version than you're probably used to).

Trust me, just read it. I ended up liking it more than I thought I would (I'm not a fan of turning the little fella to the "dark side", so to speak). The last third-or-so of the second chapter is...interesting, to say the least. Damn shame it's yet another dead-in-the-water story, I liked where it was going based on the last chapter. :devil:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to continue my search for any and every available LAS story. Hey, everyone's gotta have their own "white whale", ja?
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:14 am

^
I read it a while ago, and... meh. The concept of Shinji as a sort of Hannibal Lecter is nice, but he guesses the pasts and weaknesses of everyone around him so easily that it breaks my suspension of disbelief, most of the time he looks like a straight up psychic!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:56 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
I read it a while ago, and... meh. The concept of Shinji as a sort of Hannibal Lecter is nice, but he guesses the pasts and weaknesses of everyone around him so easily that it breaks my suspension of disbelief, most of the time he looks like a straight up psychic!

The author's continually saying " . . . and he was right" doesn't help. The arguments he has Shinji make are simplistic in the extreme, and fail to note that, no matter the reason, the current situation is what it is, and Shinji very much can make a difference in the here and now. When he chooses not to act the consequences of that decision are on his head. Yes, Gendo should have been training him to pilot for the past decade. Yes, Asuka damn well should have been there as well. But neither of those things happened, and here we are, and Shinji's refusing in the here and now. His responsibility for that choice can't be ignored, and yet the author never even hints at addressing it (at least not in the first two chapters, which were all I could stomach on the matter).

So yeah, not a fan.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:15 pm

^
Yeah, that too. Okay NERV made a really shitty job in preparing the city for the Angel attacks, but that doesn't change the fact that at this point he was the one who could had saved the city.
I could had understood if he decided to bail out because this situation is fucking insane, but here he deliberately refused to pilot and indirectly caused lots of deaths and immense material damages just to score a point against his father!
And I'm supposed to cheer for this motherfucker!? (and I remember that Sakura died because of his refusal in this story!)

Return to “Fanfiction”