A remake or a sequel?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'm asking you if it is official. I would be absolutely sure that it is fanmade if it weren't for the Rebuild-like chorus at the beginning that is from no song of the Rebuild OST (AFAIK).

Ah, sorry. For some reason I only read your post once and thought you were touting it as official. My mistake. :facepalm:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:This is a trailer for Evangelion 3.0, so some might consider this a spoiler. I don´t know if it is official (maybe it is, it has the typical Rebuild-chorus). The thing is, there is a part that may provide an answer (if it is official, of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZFvxX-DAoI

It's not official. It's a mish-mash of scenes from 3.0 with bits of the trailer from 2.0.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:48 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:It's not official. It's a mish-mash of scenes from 3.0 with bits of the trailer from 2.0.

But the chorus. It isn't from any Rebuild OST, and it soundslike it's official.

No problem riffraff. ^^
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Kodaemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kodaemon » Tue May 07, 2013 1:05 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:But the chorus. It isn't from any Rebuild OST, and it soundslike it's official.

One word: pachinko.
just a signature

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am

View Original PostKodaemon wrote:One word: pachinko.

OK, then it is definitely fanmade. Is the pachinko music done by Sagisu?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue May 07, 2013 9:21 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:OK, then it is definitely fanmade. Is the pachinko music done by Sagisu?

Yes, the music has been composed and arranged by Shiro Sagisu, the lyrics have been written and sung by Megumi Hayashibara.

http://www.generasia.com/wiki/Shuuketsu_no_Sadame
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%9B%86%E7%B5%90%E3%81%AE%E9%81%8B%E5%91%BD
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks for the links!

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

sorta-sequel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed May 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I don't know if Go Nagai would consider the three series sequels to each other, although they technically are because they follow each other in some kind of timeline, but all the characters forget their previous lives, so does that really make it a sequel? If the world has just been remade, Anno and Khara might not consider that a sequel, just little bits of the old version of Earth got left behind.

Anyway, if NGE and NME are related in any way I imagine it is something along these lines.

This is really what I feel, with all the little things that are put in to give a gentle hint, and have no other reason to be in the film. The blood spray on the moon (from GNR's severed throat in EoE) the outline drawn where Eva 1 ends up being tossed by the 4th angel BEFORE he is tossed there, and most of all every single line of dialogue from Kwarou in the first and second movie all make it obvious that this is a remade world/universe that came to be an unknown time after the events of End of Evangelion.

I hate to quote the remade BSG series, but the line "All this has happened before and will happen again" echoed through my head at every single 'trigger' image or scene of the first 2 movies.

Unless I missed them, have there been any good non-remake reasons put forward for why Kwarou speaks like he is fully aware that this is not his first go-round with this whole Instrumentality business? Why he was awoken from the 2nd opened in a row of coffins ON THE MOON making cryptic comments like "The third child again? you never change." "This time, I will be sure to make you happy" etc. Oh, and staring at the excavated corpse of an Angel/Adam/whatever while doing it?

Sorry, but when there is no reason for a given scene in the plot of the movie in question, the only other possible reason must be assumed to be correct.

Unless there is direct proof otherwise, of course. Is there?
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: sorta-sequel

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed May 15, 2013 4:51 pm

^ The alternative that gets brought up from time to time is that the world of NME is in a self-contained time loop, with no connection to NGE.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:00 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:This is really what I feel, with all the little things that are put in to give a gentle hint, and have no other reason to be in the film. The blood spray on the moon (from GNR's severed throat in EoE) the outline drawn where Eva 1 ends up being tossed by the 4th angel BEFORE he is tossed there

Actually the blood is from Second Impact (according to the Eva 2.22 storyboards, there's a thread about this). But obviously it's a refernce to End of Evangelion. But the outline is not supposed to resemble EVA-01. I thought that too, but it is supposed to resemble the petrified MP Evas, look at the cross position. They could be an easter egg or something from the new movies' background story that at the same time serves as an easter egg (like the blood on the moon).

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 15, 2013 6:23 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:This is really what I feel, with all the little things that are put in to give a gentle hint, and have no other reason to be in the film. The blood spray on the moon (from GNR's severed throat in EoE) the outline drawn where Eva 1 ends up being tossed by the 4th angel BEFORE he is tossed there, and most of all every single line of dialogue from Kwarou in the first and second movie all make it obvious that this is a remade world/universe that came to be an unknown time after the events of End of Evangelion.

Except all of that evidence has been discredited and we're left with a situation where, far from being obvious, that scenario is a massive stretch. At best we're looking at an NTE-specific loop of some sort, but it's more likely that it's a single shot scenario and Kaworu's lines indicate some sort of connection between the pilots and the Adams.

Unless I missed them, have there been any good non-remake reasons put forward for why Kwarou speaks like he is fully aware that this is not his first go-round with this whole Instrumentality business? Why he was awoken from the 2nd opened in a row of coffins ON THE MOON making cryptic comments like "The third child again? you never change." "This time, I will be sure to make you happy" etc. Oh, and staring at the excavated corpse of an Angel/Adam/whatever while doing it?

Yes, there have. See previous posts in this thread, as well as the Q subforum.

Sorry, but when there is no reason for a given scene in the plot of the movie in question, the only other possible reason must be assumed to be correct.

You have to eliminate a lot more "possible" before you can make that claim in this context.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Actually the blood is from Second Impact (according to the Eva 2.22 storyboards, there's a thread about this). But obviously it's a refernce to End of Evangelion. But the outline is not supposed to resemble EVA-01. I thought that too, but it is supposed to resemble the petrified MP Evas, look at the cross position. They could be an easter egg or something from the new movies' background story that at the same time serves as an easter egg (like the blood on the moon).

Yeah, now that I think about it I remember seeing that image tying the outline to the outstreched arm petrified EVAs. Still a clear call-back, as you say. ;)

The alternative that gets brought up from time to time is that the world of NME is in a self-contained time loop, with no connection to NGE.
Interesting, and also very possible too. The fact that the final movie's title ends with a musical symbol of "End + Repeat" would tend to give this theory some legs too. Or the sequel re-try theory, anything but the 'stand alone' theory really. ;)

Bagheera, I will re-read this thread then and see, cos most of the justifications I saw were pretty far fetched, but I will be fair and re-check.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 15, 2013 7:23 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Bagheera, I will re-read this thread then and see, cos most of the justifications I saw were pretty far fetched, but I will be fair and re-check.

When the evidence is noted to be inconsistent with what we see in EoE and explained by the storyboards for the new movies I think calling the "justifications" far-fetched is disingenuous.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed May 15, 2013 10:45 pm

The Entry File 1 book (a book for 1.0) states the chalk outline is "something from the remains of Second Impact".

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Thu May 16, 2013 2:58 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The Entry File 1 book (a book for 1.0) states the chalk outline is "something from the remains of Second Impact".

Pretty impressive that it landed outside Tokyo 3 when the 2nd impact occured in Antarctica. :bigeyes:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 am

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Pretty impressive that it landed outside Tokyo 3 when the 2nd impact occured in Antarctica. :bigeyes:

Do you know where the 4 Adams are? Do you know where they went during 2nd Impact? Yould they have left the site and scattered?

Seems that way...

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Thu May 16, 2013 12:25 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Do you know where the 4 Adams are? Do you know where they went during 2nd Impact? Yould they have left the site and scattered?

Seems that way...

Nobody really knows that because the issue hasn't been addressed directly since the 4 beings of light were shown staring down at Misato during 2nd impact. Infact, it was only a "sneak preview" that named them as "Adams" was it not? Their actual dispersal was never really addressed. The previews for the next movie at the end of a Rebuild movie are pretty sketchy material to take as canon considering how rarely the previewed material actually appears in the next movie.

I think it is pretty much agreed now that they are infact 4 angelic beings that were woken at 2nd Impact, instead of a single Angel known as 'Adam' in NGE, but really much about them is still a mystery. Witness the ongoing 'souls/adams/etc. threads in the "Q and Beyond" forum. ;)

*edit* grammar fixes.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu May 16, 2013 5:45 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Pretty impressive that it landed outside Tokyo 3 when the 2nd impact occured in Antarctica. :bigeyes:

Something landed on the moon, so...

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Thu May 16, 2013 7:11 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Something landed on the moon, so...

So goes the theory. I am not a believer in it. Those things on the moon were-buried- there, not just randomly tossed up there. a row of coffins all in a neat line for Kwarou to step out of the 5th one, the first four being already emptied?

Ties in to the 'this has happened before' theory, which I don't think is too compatible with '2nd impact sent 1 being to the moon, another to tokyo 3 and 2 more still at large' theory. ;)

I realize that the 'something from 2nd impact' has the strength of canon behind it if it was in published material, but somehow I have a feeling it wasn't Anno-san who wrote that. :shifty:

*edit* Thank you Monk Ed, never check something in less then full-screen view.
Last edited by Jurrasic on Thu May 16, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu May 16, 2013 7:28 pm

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:a row of coffins all in a neat line for Kwarou to step out of the 2nd one, the first one being already emptied?

Er, second? I just checked my 1.11. Kaworu emerges from the middle (5th) of 9 visible coffins.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”