Shin Eva leak general

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Slowpokeking
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Shin Eva leak general

Postby Slowpokeking » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:04 am

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:
View Original PostEvaThirdImpact#913123 wrote:Something I noticed in Intermediate O's most recent youtube video is that he said he's seeing the movie 2 more times and that some questions he's unsure if he'd even be able to answer. What I imply from this is that the movie has an overwhelming amount of information and that it will take some time to digest/ deconstruct. This is kind of making the idea of making any type of assumptions based off of half-assed google translated subtitles kind of seem silly. Not saying you can't be disappointed with what you've read/seen so far, just suggesting that maybe you wait a bit before making your mind up on a movie you haven't seen lol. There's a long road ahead.

Mari X Shinji is just plot point that everyone repeats with incredible detail, stop ignoring it

It's true and even those who watched the movie just straight do not deny the validity of the claim and some of them on Twitter just commented how Mari = Moyoco Anno.

Everything else has been confirmed too, Rei dying for the sake of giving Shinji a "you have to keep going" moment, Asuka declaring how she had a crush on Shinji, Gendo and Shinji finally understanding each other.. At this point is just denying reality.

I lost any interest in the movie too, what an awful ending.

The thing is that Misato fits Shinji much better if he wants a lover/elder caretaker at the same time.

Though in the Rebuild they had much less interaction than the old series, but still more than Mari.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:05 am

Wouldn't put it past him.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

DaCourier
Embryo

Postby DaCourier » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:06 am

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:
View Original PostEvaThirdImpact#913123 wrote:Something I noticed in Intermediate O's most recent youtube video is that he said he's seeing the movie 2 more times and that some questions he's unsure if he'd even be able to answer. What I imply from this is that the movie has an overwhelming amount of information and that it will take some time to digest/ deconstruct. This is kind of making the idea of making any type of assumptions based off of half-assed google translated subtitles kind of seem silly. Not saying you can't be disappointed with what you've read/seen so far, just suggesting that maybe you wait a bit before making your mind up on a movie you haven't seen lol. There's a long road ahead.

Mari X Shinji is just plot point that everyone repeats with incredible detail, stop ignoring it

It's true and even those who watched the movie just straight do not deny the validity of the claim and some of them on Twitter just commented how Mari = Moyoco Anno.

Everything else has been confirmed too, Rei dying for the sake of giving Shinji a "you have to keep going" moment, Asuka declaring how she had a crush on Shinji, Gendo and Shinji finally understanding each other.. At this point is just denying reality.

I lost any interest in the movie too, what an awful ending.

Except didn't Rei revived again and went to farming? And how's Shinji understanding Gendo a bad thing for you?

Huagh
Adam

Postby Huagh » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:09 am

Honestly, if Anno made Mari based off his wife, that is the sweetest things. Anno saying “I got a cool wife, so I will give Shinji one as well” is so dumb, but so cute at the same time.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:11 am

A lot of people thought Asuka and Shinji wouldn't get together in the Rebuilds precisely because she was too old?

And, uh, that's GIVEN AS A REASON during their love confession. Which does happen. There's apparently lots of teasing for it too.

That's pretty much what I expected. I thought ReiShin and AsuMari would get mostly ignored, and Kawoshin rebutted somehow. That's also what happened. Incredibly so.

MariShin and AsuKen are probably teased/implied but open-ended enough. KawoRei too. Probably. We still need to figure out about this supposed revisit of the EoE ending. When the movie is actually watchable for us, we can look past troll spoilers, and even inaccurate spoilers coming from people that just misunderstood things.

It also seems like Sequel Theory is indeed debunked, though there is a sort of closed loop inside the Rebuilds. Also what I expected. So yeah.

I doubt anyone is gonna ship AsuKen and MariShin, lol. I completely understand it happening, thematically, but it's still an ass-pull. Because it doesn't seem like the canons are connected at all, people will probably still gravitate to the 3 main pairings again.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:13 am

View Original PostHuagh wrote:Honestly, if Anno made Mari based off his wife, that is the sweetest things. Anno saying “I got a cool wife, so I will give Shinji one as well” is so dumb, but so cute at the same time.

This. So. Much.

My "Post Last Jedi face" disappeared as soon as I made the connection and realized what was staring us in the face since the start. I'm smiling like a dumbass right now.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:14 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:
I doubt anyone is gonna ship AsuKen and MariShin, lol.

I, on the other hand, predict there will be a flood of fanart on both ships in the coming days.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:16 am

Can anyone tell me what goes on in the scene at Touji's settlement?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:17 am

The Mari=Moyoco thing is funny to me because like, Mari's first scene with Shinji in 2.22 looks like something straight out of a harem anime. Like is that how Anno perceives his love life with his wife?

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:20 am

That's precisely it, I've always gotten the idea that she arrived out of left field to "break his otaku world"

"Destroy Eva"
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Kid
Embryo

Postby Kid » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:20 am

I agree with most of you that the core pairings of Shinji with Rei/Asuka/Kaworu are always going to be the most interesting, but I think Shinji ending up with Mari is a rather... uh... "mature" outcome of events for the story. More often than not the person you end up with isn't the one you crushed on and obsessed over; it's usually someone new who steps into your life and just clicks with you.

It's a nice, poignant message in the grand scheme of things, but the fun of fandom is warring over the unhealthy relationships :D

Huagh
Adam

Postby Huagh » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:22 am

https://twitter.com/johnnyo152/status/1 ... 48064?s=21

Just seen this official art of Shinji dressed in Toji’s tracksuit. I’m crying, they really are brothers for life. Also, Rei Q looks cool

DaCourier
Embryo

Postby DaCourier » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:23 am

View Original PostKid wrote:I agree with most of you that the core pairings of Shinji with Rei/Asuka/Kaworu are always going to be the most interesting, but I think Shinji ending up with Mari is a rather... uh... "mature" outcome of events for the story. More often than not the person you end up with isn't the one you crushed on and obsessed over; it's usually someone new who steps into your life and just clicks with you.

It's a nice, poignant message in the grand scheme of things, but the fun of fandom is warring over the unhealthy relationships :D

Oh yes indeed. ^_^

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:25 am

Based on the first set of responses Intermediate O provided on his YT video, he confirmed:

-Mari x Shinji can be interpreted that way
-Asuka x Kensuke is a thing
-Gendo pilots 13 and there is a Gendo vs Shinji fight
-Misato blows herself up while everyone escapes in pods
-Misato's and Kaji's child is a thing
-The climax is what they call "additional impact"
-Rei indeed dies
-Rei has very good development in the first half, then the movie becomes poorly paced and things happen very fast a la Rise of Skywalker
-Music is good and has a good amount of English tracks
-His overall feelings after the film are confused and unsatisfied

Edit: more
-it is a happy ending
-most shots from the trailers make it into the film
-the time skip from 3.0 is not explained at all :(
-Mari isn't from the future, she was a college classmate of Gendo and Shinji's Mom
-nothing after the end credits (I guess no more fan service)
-there are live action shots in the film
-Asuka is the only successful clone of the Shikanami series
-the 3.0 + 1.0 part is just a gimmick for the title, no story significance
-he's not sure about different endings across different theatres, he will be seeing it two more times today so maybe he'll follow up and confirm later
Last edited by Stan on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:28 am

In a sense, Asushin is now the closest it's ever been to canon - their feelings and relationship are validated, but they don't consummate anything for extra reasons. Which seem to be mostly plot related. The translations I've seen are roughly along this line:

Asuka "I loved you back then Shinji, but you didn't save me. I grew up/moved on."
Shinji: "I love you too Asuka, but it won't work."

Why it won't work seems unclear. It could be because Shinji thinks they are too different, or even for a similar argument that she's old and too much time happened. Either way, it's still interesting. Kensuke line has been translated a number of different ways. Apparently he is a mentor to Shinji in this movie, which is interesting. I'm seeing even one saying he's just Asuka's tutor or something. Again, MariShin and AsuKen seem possible, but left open.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:29 am

Reichu's been going through the posted terminology list. It looks like Mari might really be
SPOILER: Show
"Maria of Ischariot." Mari confirmed Vampire Hunter? :tongue:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Konja7 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:30 am

I've understood Rei Q doesn't revive.

It is Rei II who will revive at the end. She will be a farmer along Kaworu.
Last edited by Konja7 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eva Dragon
Embryo

Postby Eva Dragon » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:32 am

Kensuke x Asuka is weird af...
What about Kaworu?

Swami
Embryo

Postby Swami » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:33 am

There are currently 2 reviews posted on MAL. Both are positive!

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:33 am

View Original PostDaCourier wrote:Except didn't Rei revived again and went to farming? And how's Shinji understanding Gendo a bad thing for you?

Nopeeeeeee.
Rei harvesting rice came first in the movie, she just uhhh died in front of him.. Good lord how awful that is and even more how is represented as a sort of declaration or something.. Weird.

Also Asuka is a clone, the only one that survived "shikinami types" how ironic that is, anyway fucking awful.

Most of the leaks are true beyond reasonable doubt, Misato dies, live action scenes.. Gendo piloting the fucking robot.

Whatever I lost interest, 9 years 3 months and who knows how many days for what will be considered so idiotic that even when it was leaked hours before screening nobody believed it.

By bye all of Evangelion..

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”