Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:21 pm

Two a day is a great way to go, with how 1-2, 5-6, 17-18, 19-20, and of course 25-26 all play into one another. I'd say you could even take it up to four episodes per day if you wanted to increase your intake, that's like watching a movie per day. (Or an episode of Sherlock every day, if you're more into TV!) I'd agree with Cairo's assessment not to watch EoE right after episodes 25 and 26 just to give them some time to marinate and for you to reflect.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:23 pm

I group the episodes in 2 in my head because I watched them on vhs a billion times each, especially when I was waiting for the next volume. You’d be surprised how well the episodes go together in pairs. Maybe it was just me seeing things that weren’t there, but it felt like the episodes were linked, literally and thematically.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:58 pm

Yeah, I agree. Two a day is also a great number. As Nuke-senpai pointed out, there are some established set of episodes. Even EOE is structured that way. Honestly, now that I think about it, three episodes a day might also be a good amount (especially if you are on vacation). That's what I did on my second viewing, after all. That said, I definitely prefer to watch later episodes of Evangelion sparingly (two a day, at max). I always remember how episode 22' broke me to pieces. My jaw literally dropped. It took me a couple of days to digest everything. Now, four a day? That's too much for me, personally. This is all a matter of taste, though.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:33 pm

SPOILER: Show
View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original Postxenosaga#925960 wrote:I actually haven't watched TV series fully since the late 90s

Holy moly! How did you manage to stay away from Evangelion for so long?! lol
Well, if you're planning on rewatching it, can I give you some suggestions?
Firstly, try to watch one episode per day (or two, at max). That way, you will have some time to breathe and think about what you just saw (things get wild around episode 22'). NGE is a show whose episodes vary a lot from each other (in tone and overall structure). We try to group them into subcategories, but this can only go up to a certain limit. It's good to digest each of them individually, in my opinion. Also, don't watch EOE right after finishing episode 26. Otherwise, you probably won't pay enough attention to either conclusion.
Of course, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to watch the series. You may have your own way of doing things and that's awesome! These are just a few suggestions that made my last viewing a blast.

Yeah I might do something similar like that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've placed his ginormous quote under a spoiler tag.
Also sprach Zarathustra

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:16 am

No problem! Actually, I envy your position. I wanted to forget about some of Evangelion's plot points to experience it all over again :tongue: lol

Also, try not to quote entire posts (narrow it down to the part you're addressing). ^_^
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:46 am

I just thought and don't want to get it wrong, but this always confuses me, if it comes out at 00:00 GMT on the 13th, that would mean midnight on Thursday rather than midnight Friday, no?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:16 pm

It would be midnight Friday, because 00:00 GMT is the start of Friday and Thursday August 12 ends at 23:59 GMT.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:39 am

I cleared my entire schedule just so I could watch this movie on a loop for 3 days straight.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:08 am

I’m marathoning all 4 on the 13th. Will check out the new dubs too over that weekend.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:16 am

im am hyped to finally be able to pause it to overanalyze freeze frames
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Zethus Thorne
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zethus Thorne » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:30 pm

Apparently there is an Amazon Panel at Comic Con @Home on July 23rd

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:37 pm

View Original PostZethus Thorne wrote:Apparently there is an Amazon Panel at Comic Con @Home on July 23rd

Ooh interesting! If they don’t announce the dub cast then, then they better be ready for a torrent of questions about it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:04 pm

He’ll talk about his experience while making the movie, and maybe talk more about the other two Shin projects in the works.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Sweet! It'll be the first eva film I watch without first ruining it for myself with a camprip (although the screenshots, summaries and many TV spots have pretty much spoiled the whole film for me at this point lol).

Regarding the dub, i think these will be sub. I personally didn't mind the funi dub until in recent years the company and its VAs have started pushing politics so hard that I started hating every funimation dub, so if there is a dub i'd prefer the netflix one (even though the Shinji and Misato from funi dub will be greatly missed).

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:53 am

View Original PostStan wrote:Regarding the dub, i think these will be sub. I personally didn't mind the funi dub until in recent years the company and its VAs have started pushing politics so hard that I started hating every funimation dub, so if there is a dub i'd prefer the netflix one (even though the Shinji and Misato from funi dub will be greatly missed).

Yes, the August 13 release will be sub. (Scratch that, I think that's inaccurate)

Unfortunately, the thread discussing the dub got unnecessarily heated and that, combined with a lack of productive conversation (due to the fact that we have no solid information) led to it being locked. Dan Kanemitsu tweeted that dub information will be revealed on August 13 as well, and you will be free to discuss the dub on the basis of solid information when that comes out.

In the meantime, please stay on topic - until we have solid information, any further dub-related conversations will be split off and locked to prevent a repeat of the incivility in the other thread.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:24 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Yes, the August 13 release will be sub.

Dan Kanemitsu tweeted that dub information will be revealed on August 13 as well, and you will be free to discuss the dub on the basis of solid information when that comes out.

Huh, so do we have strong confirmation on it only being subbed at first? I interpreted that information from Dan being that the dub cast will be announced on the day of release. I thought we knew for sure the dub was coming out day and date?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:56 am

Actually, scratch that. I took a second look at the tweet and I see what you mean. He never denied the existence of a dub, and the Amazon press release actually included this line -

It will be dubbed in 10 languages including English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish and Italian, and offer subtitles in 28 languages.

So that was a misunderstanding on my end. Shin Eva will get an English dub upon release. However, the prohibition against dub speculation stands until there's a staff consensus that things have cooled down enough to unlock the thread. And on August 13 - when we get all the info we need - the thread gets unlocked as a matter of course (poke us if we forget!)

EDIT: I re-read the press release once again and realize that it doesn't say that it will be dubbed in 10 languages upon release, but from what I've seen Amazon tends to release dubs in other languages along with the primary-language version. Damn the ambiguity of it all.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:53 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:So that was a misunderstanding on my end.

Sure thing. No problem. I hope for the outcome I hope for, but it does seem discussion until then should be kept down since it was getting ridiculous.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:08 am

Watch the dub come out and it's neither the Netflix or the ADV cast. It'll just be two unheard-of dudes and one woman doing the voices for literally everyone, reminiscent of old Godzilla English dubs.

Just what you'd expect from the master, Anno.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:09 am

I think it's quite likely that they'll get a completely different set.

Though in that case I do hope that rumor about them redubbing the first 3 films is true so that you can watch them in a row without jarring transistions.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”