The Music of 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: The Music of 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:26 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Whoa, "Yume no Sukima" is in the film? That's cool! :w00t:

Yui is in on the timeloop then? XDD

I'd heard that there were visual parallels to her departure from EoE too, presumably when she takes the axe (or spear rather) for Shinji? still not entirely clear what happens.

It'd off that even the music is the same when her actual fate appears so different but the script alone is confusing on the matter
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon May 03, 2021 8:50 am

I happen to have a free time today so I translated the opening notes written by Shiro Sagisu for Music from Shin Evangelion booklet, it's not a full translation and is mostly the general gist of it, so feel free to expand and correct it!
- According to Sagisu, "F02: Peaceful Times" (also knows as "Jikai Yokoku"/"Next Time Preview") was used in the previous three films to bridge the gap between them, however the song was excluded in this one to emphasize that this IS truly the end of Evangelion. It should be noted that he recorded another version of this song during Shin's recording session, so we'll probably only getting it upcoming supplementary albums, perhaps Outtakes Vol.2.

- Despite the increasing gap between each film, Sagisu has been making music for Eva almost non-stop since 2006. The "routine" he mentioned in here is sending his recorded music to Anno and if he liked it, he will say so and then they'll work together to adjust it for the films. Sagisu preferred this technique as it gives him an extra creative freedom in composing the music (compared to Hollywood's music-to-picture, where the music is solely made to fit a scene's flow) and is very grateful to Anno for giving him a wonderful creative environment.

- For the past 15 years ending in December 2020, the number of orchestral and chorus sessions being held in London for Eva-related music has exceeded 100 times, Shin Eva itself has an astonishing number, but thanks to that he was able to complete Shin's score despite the COVID limitations because during the nearly a decade gap between 3.0 to Shin from 2013, Sagisu has written around 500(!) cues/songs labeled as "opus" and recorded around 250 of them, so this "long-term self-recording" practice has proven to provide quite an advantage in the film's score production. He noted it would've been plain impossible to finish the score if they only started recording music during Shin's post-production, when studio activities were put completely on hold for the majority of 2020 because of COVID.

- However, working the film's multi-audio mix (dialogue, music, sound effects) still has to be done and sometimes during the middle of mixing, Anno would call and asked him to adjust the score which sometimes require him to record more music, to the surprise of his crews. Even after the mixing is finished, more works still need to be done for the "Music From" album, as it consists of the songs presented in its entirety with bonus tracks at that, the mixing has to be done from scratch. Meanwhile, the "film edit" music (music edited to fit in the film) can be compiled to just one CD after being converted from 5.1ch surround sound to stereo, compared to the "Music From" album which has 3 discs full of full-sized songs intended to be enjoyed on their own.

- So even after the film wrapped its post-pro in December 2020, work for the "Music From" album continued simultaneously in London, Tokyo, and Hollywood for around a month up until early January. Sagisu also joked that he also rushed to write the liner notes because of that.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

bogusman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby bogusman » Mon May 03, 2021 10:14 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:I happen to have a free time today so I translated the opening notes written by Shiro Sagisu for Music from Shin Evangelion booklet, it's not a full translation and is mostly the general gist of it, so feel free to expand and correct it!
- According to Sagisu, "F02: Peaceful Times" (also knows as "Jikai Yokoku"/"Next Time Preview") was used in the previous three films to bridge the gap between them, however the song was excluded in this one to emphasize that this IS truly the end of Evangelion. It should be noted that he recorded another version of this song during Shin's recording session, so we'll probably only getting it upcoming supplementary albums, perhaps Outtakes Vol.2.

- Despite the increasing gap between each film, Sagisu has been making music for Eva almost non-stop since 2006. The "routine" he mentioned in here is sending his recorded music to Anno and if he liked it, he will say so and then they'll work together to adjust it for the films. Sagisu preferred this technique as it gives him an extra creative freedom in composing the music (compared to Hollywood's music-to-picture, where the music is solely made to fit a scene's flow) and is very grateful to Anno for giving him a wonderful creative environment.

- For the past 15 years ending in December 2020, the number of orchestral and chorus sessions being held in London for Eva-related music has exceeded 100 times, Shin Eva itself has an astonishing number, but thanks to that he was able to complete Shin's score despite the COVID limitations because during the nearly a decade gap between 3.0 to Shin from 2013, Sagisu has written around 500(!) cues/songs labeled as "opus" and recorded around 250 of them, so this "long-term self-recording" practice has proven to provide quite an advantage in the film's score production. He noted it would've been plain impossible to finish the score if they only started recording music during Shin's post-production, when studio activities were put completely on hold for the majority of 2020 because of COVID.

- However, working the film's multi-audio mix (dialogue, music, sound effects) still has to be done and sometimes during the middle of mixing, Anno would call and asked him to adjust the score which sometimes require him to record more music, to the surprise of his crews. Even after the mixing is finished, more works still need to be done for the "Music From" album, as it consists of the songs presented in its entirety with bonus tracks at that, the mixing has to be done from scratch. Meanwhile, the "film edit" music (music edited to fit in the film) can be compiled to just one CD after being converted from 5.1ch surround sound to stereo, compared to the "Music From" album which has 3 discs full of full-sized songs intended to be enjoyed on their own.

- So even after the film wrapped its post-pro in December 2020, work for the "Music From" album continued simultaneously in London, Tokyo, and Hollywood for around a month up until early January. Sagisu also joked that he also rushed to write the liner notes because of that.

Great! Thx comrade!
Yea...

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm

So I got real curious about the title of one of these songs, because it's just so nuts: "激突!轟天対大魔艦"

My initial translation of it was something like, "Clash! The Roaring Deva vs The Great Demon Ship!" But that's just a rough draft, something so I can get the idea of what might be what. I did some googling to see if any of these were established terms, because the kanji kind of melt into one another. I discovered that the 轟天 actually has a translation, "Roaring Heaven". Turns out it's a fictional battle submarine from Toho films. As it also turns out, the 大魔艦 happens to appear in a film with it. It's a 1970s tokusatsu film called The War in Space. The name didn't get translated, and was just left as phonetic Daimakan.

Drawing on one more common translation of 激突, we get this: "Duel! Gohten vs Daimakan!" And lo and behold, that very song appears in The War in Space, as seen in this trailer. And wouldn't you know it, this theme appears during the Wunder's dogfight with one of the sister ships.

This was one of my favorite songs in the film. When I was watching Shin for the first time and hearing it, I thought, "Gosh, this feels like an action soundtrack right out of the 70s!" It turns out that's exactly what it was, and you just can't shake the infectious energy of that time. I'm a little disappointed it's not 100% an original song, but I think this does the theme upon which it was based justice.

As expected of the master.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue May 04, 2021 12:54 pm

I'd like to add, if what Sagisu said is true about already recording 250 opus since 2013, then there's still around 230 unreleased songs being stored somewhere because Shin Eva only has 21 of them:

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:This was one of my favorite songs in the film. When I was watching Shin for the first time and hearing it, I thought, "Gosh, this feels like an action soundtrack right out of the 70s!" It turns out that's exactly what it was, and you just can't shake the infectious energy of that time. I'm a little disappointed it's not 100% an original song, but I think this does the theme upon which it was based justice.

Ah, I remember reading some day one reviews and a lot of them mentioned they were confused by an "out of place music" being played during a big action set piece :lol:

But original compositions like tema principale and theme du concerto 494 have other composers' DNA in them, the former was inspired by the works of Nino Rita (the trumpet version in disc 3 sounds scarily like The Godfather's theme) while the latter was composed as a tribute to legendary French pianist Michel Legrand. He also called Dave Hartley; the pianist who performed in 494 as "English Kentaro Haneda", Haneda was one of the composers in the classic Yamato entries and the song does channel his works.

Seriously, a good portion of the album booklet is basically Sagisu geeking over his idols and the soundtrack's performers, it's a really wholesome read!

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu May 13, 2021 5:53 am

A preliminary version of "the path" recorded in 2018, which Sagisu confirmed will be in a new Outtake album (no release window yet).

This arrangement of "To Hometown" from Nadia already exists since 2006 and over the course of 15 years, they had a total of 10 recording sessions for this song.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:55 pm

I'm still trying to process a lot it but holy shit they had "this is the dream" laying around since 2012 and I'm bawling that they finally gave it to Asuka

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:16 pm

The whole damn soundtrack is nutworthy, excluding some of the softer and more operatic tracks. Does anyone know if Hooked on the Last Train is a remix of something else, like the Nadia remixes in 3.0? It hardly sounds like modern Sagisu...
Also, does anyone else find it super weird how there's two different Spotify releases of the album? One by "Shiro Sagisu" spelled in English, and one by "Shiro Sagisu" spelled in Hiragana, and the English artist release has the vocals missing from Yearning for Your Love, as well as there being Katakana and Hiragana in the titles, while the Hiragana Japanese version has all the tracks complete and titles entirely in English. Apparently VOYAGER's subtitle is "Gravestone Without a Date"
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

aboose
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby aboose » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:25 pm

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:09 pm

I've been obsessed with Voyager recently and dug a bit into it's background (some recycled from an earlier post by Jayfive):
• It was originally sung by Yumi Matsutoya in the early 80's:
• • Miyazaki used her song, 飛行機雲 (Contrails), in "The Wind Rises."
• • She wrote the eponymous theme to the 1983 live-action "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time."
• The song was initially the title track to the eponymous Voyager album, but was delayed and released separately due to the delay of the movie it was supposed to serve as the main theme for: "Bye-Bye Jupiter."
• • I haven't seen the movie, but it's apparently a Japanese attempt at their own "2001: A Space Odyssey," of which there are several obvious references in 3.0+1.0 and the series as a whole.
• • The title mirrors Shinji's line during the song: "Bye-Bye Evangelions."

Interesting meta-connections here, with the Ghibli inspirations spreading beyond the picturesque setting of the village into the music choice, and maybe Mari is the girl leaping through time?
i want rebuild

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:45 pm

Another "discovery" as a filthy gaijin- there's a reason hooked on the last train, the WUNDER battle theme, sounds so out-of-place. It's a remix of a track from the 1977 Toho tokusatsu movie The War in Space. It's even uploaded to Internet Archive if you wanna watch it, but I don't know if I can link it here...

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:40 am

The Joy To The World scene didn't have nearly the same emotional impact on me as the Ode To Joy during did during the original series or 3.33. All the pieces were there for it to have the same impact, it happened during a heavy climactic scene, it was used to progress the plot and the themes of the story, it even had an important character dying as part of it like the Ode To Joy scene with Kaworu dying at the end. But the scene just didn't have the impact I feel it should have had on me. Is it just because my mind associates it with Christmas music, and renders it unable to have the same emotional impact the Ode To Joy does?

aboose
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby aboose » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:54 am

View Original PostRay wrote:The Joy To The World scene didn't have nearly the same emotional impact on me as the Ode To Joy during did during the original series or 3.33. All the pieces were there for it to have the same impact, it happened during a heavy climactic scene, it was used to progress the plot and the themes of the story, it even had an important character dying as part of it like the Ode To Joy scene with Kaworu dying at the end. But the scene just didn't have the impact I feel it should have had on me. Is it just because my mind associates it with Christmas music, and renders it unable to have the same emotional impact the Ode To Joy does?

No, it didn't feel impactful because it was fairly obvious what was happening and the scene was relatively anti dramatic. I don't think the choice of music is to blame rather than the fact that there weren't any surprises happening anymore in that scene. You can't have dissonance which is the main draw of those track moments when there isn't a dissonant thing occurring.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:40 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:Another "discovery" as a filthy gaijin- there's a reason hooked on the last train, the WUNDER battle theme, sounds so out-of-place. It's a remix of a track from the 1977 Toho tokusatsu movie The War in Space. It's even uploaded to Internet Archive if you wanna watch it, but I don't know if I can link it here...

Update: that movie was fucking terrible lol. I like being able to see some of the cracks in practical effects, but that shit was like Flash Gordon levels of bad. Actually no Flash Gordon was at least entertaining with how bad it was, The War in Space was mostly just boring. Only things of note are the aforementioned main theme being remixed in 3+1, and the suit Shinji wears when Kaworu loredumps him in 3.0 clearly having it's design taken from TWIS.

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:09 am

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:I've been obsessed with Voyager recently and dug a bit into it's background.

I put the lyrics to this song into Google Translate and I'm so amazed that Anno literally wrote the entire third act of the film around this song. It made me appreciate the Mari/Shinji end game too and all those scenes where she promised she'd come back for him too.

Amazon should have included the lyrics translated at the top of the screen. It makes a HUGE difference lol. It'd be like if I watched instrumentality in EoE without Komm Susser Todd being in English that song is very important in getting the feelings of the characters across and not having anyway to understand it would hurt the movie which is what happened here.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:31 pm

View Original PostJupiterCallisto wrote:I put the lyrics to this song into Google Translate and I'm so amazed that Anno literally wrote the entire third act of the film around this song.

Even the “tombstone without date” part lines up: NuclearLunchbox noted that the Evas don’t have dates printed in the plugs anymore.
i want rebuild

NightComesOn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NightComesOn » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:07 pm

What is the title of the track that plays during Misato's flashback to Third Impact and Kaji's sacrifice?

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:21 pm

The title is “lost in the memory
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

NightComesOn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NightComesOn » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:31 pm

Was Touji singing an actual song in the village scene ("Get Over It! Don't Talk About Life!") or is it original to the movie?

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:39 pm

Yes, it’s an actual song and was released on December 10, 1974.
The singer and the songwriter is Takurō Yoshida (吉田拓郎).

Source
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”