Translation of Evangelion: 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
akoss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby akoss » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Migrate: Move from one area to settle in another.
They aren't going to settle in the area the Lilin are, just go there.

Aside from that, I believe the translation to be good.
I will be away for some minutes, if nobody puts it in Github by then I'll do it.

Thank you for the collaboration.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:16 pm

View Original Postakoss wrote:Migrate [snip]

I know. I just didn't know how specific people wanted the translation. Glad I could help!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:49 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:** Not sure who Fuyutsuki is referring to with 「まったく嫌な役だ」 -- Shinji? Or himself, lamenting that he had to give Shinji that speech?

My impression was that he was lamenting his own role.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:25 pm

00:16:00 艦の主制御アンカーリードプラグへ集中。
anchor lead plug?

00:18:25 接触まで、あと360秒

00:29:26 何も変わらず、卑屈で馬鹿な顔してた
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks, CtHuLhU!

00:18:25 

Another 360 seconds until contact!

00:29:26

Asuka: Nothing's changed about his stupid lowly face.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:24 am

Asuka: Nothing's changed about his stupid lowly face.

:rofl:

Shakabutt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shakabutt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:56 am

Just read the translation, man it really sounds like a sweet EVA movie, curious to see where they take it from here, the last movie is gonna make or break the entire rebuild stuff.

Grub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Grub » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Just something quick...

[code:1]01:27:46 葛城大佐の動きも計算内だ。[/code:1]

Shouldn't that be calculations instead of predications?
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:39 am

SSD: I've added your contribs, though I did some editing on the fly to eliminate some of the more stilted-sounding formulations. (Not a bust on you, BTW! I was staring blankly at some of those lines until you gave me something to work with!)

LiLi: That helps, thanks! I've adjusted Fuyu's line to something appropriately grumpy.

CtHuLhU: Added those to the transcript. Thanks, as well!

View Original PostGrub wrote:Shouldn't that be calculations instead of predications?

"PredicAtion" is a typo on my part. :blush: Should be "predictions". I thought having Gendo say "calculation" sounded a bit... forced. A little interpretative rewriting is no sin.

計算 @ Tangorin
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Amitch1991
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch1991 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:05 am

I just want to say that i'm really looking forward to seeing this translation once it's done, i would help you guys out with translating it, but i'm really bad at translating Japanese (unless it's on Google Translate), if there is a way i can help you guys out though i will be happy to do something :)
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:07 am

I added a link to the project to the OP. (Should've done that sooner, but I didn't realize, somehow... :blush: )

Looks like essentially every line (except maybe 1; can fix that easily enough), excepting some hard-to-make-out technician gobbledygook, has gotten at least a first-round stab at translation. Lots of clean-up still to do in places, of course.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

akoss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby akoss » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Basically, all that's left is to figure out what they say exactly in those 22 sentences and translate it.

After that, we can finally proceed to proof-reading (I may know a great guy who is in a fansubbing group. Hopefully he's not busy.)
I am eva3

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:20 am

I confirmed that EGFer squall.leonhart [s]RadioNerd (forget his handle on here)[/s] might help with proofreading the subs at a later date.

akoss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby akoss » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I confirmed that EGFer squall.leonhart [s]RadioNerd (forget his handle on here)[/s] might help with proofreading the subs at a later date.

Great news! The subtitles are almost complete, only some background sentences missing and other few lines here and there.

However, it indeed seems a reasonable amount of sentences have been mistranslated. Hopefully he will be able to correct them all.

The best method, in my opinion, would be to have the audio-rip playing and the translation opened simultaneously. Using the transcribed audio would be bad, because it itself can have mistakes.

Godspeed, squall.leonhart!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:00 pm

View Original Postakoss wrote:The best method, in my opinion, would be to have the audio-rip playing and the translation opened simultaneously. Using the transcribed audio would be bad, because it itself can have mistakes.

It was my hope that contributors would be correcting the transcription as we went along, but it doesn't look like this has been happening. In other words, different translations have been being offered without corrected (or at least alternate) transcriptions of the Japanese dialogue to go along with them. It's a lot less confusing when everyone is on the same page.

Also, I commented on a couple of the recent commits.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Since you're almost much done with the film itself, consider giving the remaining booklet-interviews a stab.

As you see here, Hayashibara's and Ishida's are already translated, Mitsuishi's is somewhere in the "questions" thread, but Saakamoto's and Miyamura's are still to go.
Shinji's also says "partially" translated. Is the transcript significantly longer than the translated text? it's all moonspeak to me.

Another question is: Were the actors for the more minor characters interviewed as well (there were those scans of booklet pages with mainly text and pics of half the cast next to it, including new guys etc.)

Once it IS translated, we should perhaps put it all in the same place where people can find it.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Have the difficult and unclear dialogue portions been collected anywhere? If they have not been translated, I would be eager to assist in doing so.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

akoss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby akoss » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:Have the difficult and unclear dialogue portions been collected anywhere? If they have not been translated, I would be eager to assist in doing so.

There are some sentences that couldn't be correctly listened to yet. Those are listed in the first post. (or by simply ctrl+f "/ " in the translation file: https://github.com/eva3/Evangelion--3.0-Translation/blob/master/TRANSLATION )

But the most important part, I believe, is to check the ENTIRE translation to see if nothing was mistranslated.

Your help would be extremely desirable!

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:28 pm

View Original Postakoss wrote:There are some sentences that couldn't be correctly listened to yet. Those are listed in the first post. (or by simply ctrl+f "/ " in the translation file: https://github.com/eva3/Evangelion--3.0-Translation/blob/master/TRANSLATION )

But the most important part, I believe, is to check the ENTIRE translation to see if nothing was mistranslated.

Your help would be extremely desirable!

I must be missing some obvious element of the page. Could you possibly provide a link to the Japanese transcript, which I assume exists? I spent a fair amount of time making my own transcript from the audio rip, which may have been a pointless venture, and it also may be a little patchy, as I started it off by speed writing a transcript in Hiragana, with an occasional Kanji, then I wrote it out in full while I listened to the audio for a second time. Doing that gave me a tangible source to work with, which is useful when I want to return to it later. I can rely (mostly) on my comprehension from listening to it alone, but that is less useful for a more comprehensive and reliable translation. My point is that I wish to obtain a complete copy of the Japanese transcript, if that is possible. I can work out the missing and difficult lines from there, as I see that they are marked with hash symbols.

I shall also begin checking the translations that are complete.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

akoss
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby akoss » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:41 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:I must be missing some obvious element of the page. Could you possibly provide a link to the Japanese transcript, which I assume exists? I spent a fair amount of time making my own transcript from the audio rip, which may have been a pointless venture, and it also may be a little patchy, as I started it off by speed writing a transcript in Hiragana, with an occasional Kanji, then I wrote it out in full while I listened to the audio for a second time. Doing that gave me a tangible source to work with, which is useful when I want to return to it later. I can rely (mostly) on my comprehension from listening to it alone, but that is less useful for a more comprehensive and reliable translation. My point is that I wish to obtain a complete copy of the Japanese transcript, if that is possible. I can work out the missing and difficult lines from there, as I see that they are marked with hash symbols.

I shall also begin checking the translations that are complete.

This is the project's main page: https://github.com/eva3/Evangelion--3.0-Translation

Just click in "JAPANESE-SCRIPT" to see the transcripted audio.

However, don't take anything for granted! As far as we know, there could be several errors there...

If you have a Github account, bu the way, just tell me your account and I will give you full access to the repository.
Otherwise, post your contributions here and someone will eventually add it there.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”