Evangelion 2.0 North American Screening Dates

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:26 am

View Original PostClover wrote:This hardly classifies as being shown in theaters. One night showings in single locations is barely even a release. It's more like one guy calling 4 or 5 theaters and saying "lol can I borrow one of your rooms today? kthxbai"
Funimation's "theatrical releases" are a joke. Yes I mad.

drinian wrote:What do you want them to do? I don't know industry financials, but there's a reasonable possibility that these screenings will break even or make a profit, and this way people get to enjoy the film in theaters. It costs them very little, since most advertising is by word-of-mouth, and it means they might get some money from people who wouldn't purchase the Blu-ray.

So does that mean they wouldn't be able to break even or make a profit if they offered the movie in more theaters, spanning a wider variety of cities and scheduled it to run for several days at a time instead of just one or two?

I don't get it. Wouldn't an increase in availability allow for the films to be seen by a larger audience? I think some dedicated fans might even be tempted to go and see it more than once if it happened to be playing anywhere near their town for longer than a weekend. Isn't even greater word-of-mouth advertising possible if a large number of audience members enjoy themselves and recommend it to their friends?

I think if Funimation just showed a little more confidence in 1.0/2.0 (and its audience) and took a few risks, it could potentially translate into higher ticket sales, as well as better sales figures when the DVD/Blu-Ray finally hits the shelves. At this rate, however, by the time they get their hands on 3.0, they'll be too scared to roll the dice and venture beyond a limited run of one-night-only screenings in Greenland.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:47 am

2.0 seems like a bigger run than 1.0, at least in Canada. The news that I've gotten back from the 1.0 run was that some showings were mostly empty. Part of that problem is the lack of an advertising push. The other problem is getting theatres to play a movie that could fill a theatre for maybe a couple of days worth of screenings when it could play movies that will guarantee revenue. Some theatres wanted to know if there was even an interest in the movie before going through with the actual screening. That's at least my impression of the U.S. screenings. So more screenings doesn't seem like something theatres would be interested in.

On the other hand, I heard the Canadian screenings were pretty popular. It looks like there's more screens in Canada this time around.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:56 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:2.0 seems like a bigger run than 1.0, at least in Canada. The news that I've gotten back from the 1.0 run was that some showings were mostly empty. Part of that problem is the lack of an advertising push. The other problem is getting theatres to play a movie that could fill a theatre for maybe a couple of days worth of screenings when it could play movies that will guarantee revenue. Some theatres wanted to know if there was even an interest in the movie before going through with the actual screening. That's at least my impression of the U.S. screenings. So more screenings doesn't seem like something theatres would be interested in.

On the other hand, I heard the Canadian screenings were pretty popular. It looks like there's more screens in Canada this time around.

For sure. The advertising push for Eva 2.0 at my local theater seems to be substantially bigger than what it was for 1.0 too. This time they have the movie poster at the ticket booths and postcard sized stickers advertising to see the Eva 2.0 movie on the main entrance doors.

Seems like this will naturally translate to more ticket sales.

Which makes sense already. I bought my tickets to the jan 20th screening last friday and even then more than 30 tickets were already sold.

P.S.

Does anyone know if the Eva 2.0 movie showing in theatres will be subbed or dubbed? I read from the Funimation blog's comment section that most showings will be subbed? Anyone get to confirm this?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 pm

The websites for a couple of theatres that I checked said it was Japanese audio with subtitles. You can double check the website of the theatre you're going to, maybe it'll be listed, but it's probably going to be the same.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Odd. I checked the web site for the Carousel Luxery Cinema, the only theater in all of North Carolina that, according to Funimation, will be playing this movie, and I can't find the movie anywhere in the theater's listings. I even called to hear their listings, and it wasn't mentioned.

That's a bit concerning...

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 am

WHY GOD, WHY Is 2.22 airing on a Thursday at all of my local theaters? I have a goddamn concert to go to!
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

TonyTH
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:26 pm

Anyone else getting excited? I'm going to the Indianapolis showings on Friday. Honestly, I'm just amped to hear Shiro's music on theater system. That's price of admission alone for me.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 pm

View Original PostTonyTH wrote:Anyone else getting excited? I'm going to the Indianapolis showings on Friday. Honestly, I'm just amped to hear Shiro's music on theater system. That's price of admission alone for me.

Of course im excited!!! Although i've seen 2.22 more than 20 times its going to be awesome to finally see it on the big screen the way it was meant to be shown. What equally excites me is watching it with my friends and hopefully experiencing the audience reaction in the theater.

Its a thrilling prospect. Truely it is!!! :w00t:

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 pm

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:Of course I'm excited!!! Although I've seen 2.22 more than 20 times

Aren't you just a bit sick of it? It only came out 2 years ago.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:27 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:Aren't you just a bit sick of it? It only came out 2 years ago.

LOL. Sick of it? Never!!! Im one of those film fanatics that like to over analyze and nitpick everything little detail in a film. And films that i like which include Eva 2.0 excite me to no end. I still get goosebumps seeing this on blu ray and dvd. To see it in theatres amongst other Eva fans is more than i could wish for.

Honestly im high-with excitement right now. For one to suggest that they're sick of it after 2 years....thats blasphemy. Unless of course you werent much of an Eva fan to begin with. :toothy:

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:51 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:The websites for a couple of theatres that I checked said it was Japanese audio with subtitles.
happy, happy news

no AWL or other also-rans (Spike is an exception, but still...)
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:41 am

Awesome! Specific times have finally been announced for Greensboro, NC! Now for phase two of the plan...

kuwisdelu
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby kuwisdelu » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 pm

View Original PostTonyTH wrote:Anyone else getting excited? I'm going to the Indianapolis showings on Friday. Honestly, I'm just amped to hear Shiro's music on theater system. That's price of admission alone for me.

I'm excited about going. I'll be going to the same theater on Saturday.

Seems there's more Eva fans in Indy than I thought.

TonyTH
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Nooot exactly. I'm driving in from Kentucky with some buddies. We were going to go to any theater remotely close.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I've watched my Hong Kong DVD a bunch of times now so I don't feel too bad that I won't be able to go to my local showing. (Uuuurrk, life and its annoying schedules!)

But my showing (I'm in Canada) was really popular last time. It was quite a nice "fan experience" because I usually avoid anime fandom in public places out in the fleshworld.

I recommend everyone go to at least one Rebuild showing before they die. The sound alone is worth the price of admission. Very epic!
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

iain
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iain » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:03 pm

I won a ticket to the Burlington show, so I'm heading out in 1/2 hour to get to the theatre. I thought it would be appropriate to wear the 'Shinjuku III' t-shirt I got at the theatre in Tokyo where I first saw Eva 2.0.

I just hope it makes a little more sense this time! :???: :???:

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:38 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:I recommend everyone go to at least one Rebuild showing before they die. The sound alone is worth the price of admission. Very epic!

I watched Eva 2.0 with mega bass and headphone virtualization and went completely insane. The sound effects shattered my mind.

farmboy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby farmboy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Was going to go to one of the Canadian showings if 2.0 tonight but mother nature conspired against me and we had blizzard conditions all day, and I was not about to drive over two and a half hours in it...

:rei_hissyfit:
Somebody check my brain...

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:53 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:I recommend everyone go to at least one Rebuild showing before they die. The sound alone is worth the price of admission. Very epic!

This is why I have 15" speakers scattered around my room. The sound, while still only stereo, is AMAZING!

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:25 pm

I guess I'm not going to make it to the San Diego screening tonight. I am so fu(*&ng dissapointed I haven't the words.

I've seen the movie more than a few times but I'll provably never get a chance to see it in theatres and I was really locking forward to it.
Not who you think I am.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”