Evangelion 2.0 North American Screening Dates

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
purplepolecat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby purplepolecat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:24 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Question for people who saw the film in theaters: So Kaji's Engrish was subtitled (thank god >_>) but what about the song lyrics for Today is the Day for Goodbye (Bardiel versus Dummy Plug) and Please Give Me Wings (Rescuing Ayanami Sequence)? I'd hope they would be subtitled because the lyrics do fit with both scenes, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Yeah, I think they had the song subs at the top of the screen.

Unfortunately it was physically impossible to read the song subs at the top and the dialog subs 25ft below them at the same time.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 pm

I'm going to see the movie tomorrow. Theoretically any technical difficulties they would have had would be worked out by then. I'm going with friends I haven't seen in a long time, so even if it is an over-glorified Blu-ray screening I will be getting something out of the trip. I'll update tomorrow and we'll see if the screening is worthy of the 2-hour trip I'm about to make for it.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Sounds like all you folks should have come to Australia and New Zealand for the Reel Anime festival in September '10. The 1.01 / 2.0 screenings at my cinema were flawless, and I have reason to believe that the screenings at other Dendy cinemas were as well.
Voluntary Illusion.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:05 pm

For a minute there, I was actually considering driving all the way hell and gone to NY just so my friend and I could see 2.0 in a theater. Now that I'm hearing about all the video/audio problems, coupled with the startling revelation that they're not even providing an English dub, makes it feel like a blessing in disguise that New England was spared all this silliness.

Funimation, my hatred for you is almost complete.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Well they pushed the BluRay back a week if that helps with your hatred.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:11 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:Funimation, my hatred for you is almost complete.
Hi, I'm an official representative of FUNimation. Fine, we won't license 3.0. See if anyone else gives it anywhere near as good a treatment as we did. No only did we give this thing a very sizable theatrical release for a foreign independent animated film, but we hired as many of the original dub voices as we could. Excuuuuse ME if the hardcore fans prefer subtitles in their theatrical run. Whatever, see if I ever do anything for you again.

-Representative
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:15 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Well they pushed the BluRay back a week if that helps with your hatred.

Waiting an extra week isn't a big deal for me. However, I do feel fairly confident that when the DVD/BluRay finally does get released in April with absolutely zero extras (unless you really enjoy Dragonball Z trailers), and includes an English audio track which features Shinji addressing Gendo as "Dad" seventeen times, while staring at a 'ceiling he doesn't recognize'... :headdesk:

Well, how does that saying go? Oh yeah, [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHiUitciuJ8[/url]

The sad thing is that I really want to like Funimation. Unfortunately, their handling of the Rebuild franchise so far has made it quite challenging. Between some of the odd English dub script choices and casting decisions (I like that they brought back Spike Spencer, Allison Keith-Shipp, and Tiffany Grant, but found the new voices for Ritsuko, Rei, Fuyutsuki, Touji and especially Kensuke to be lacking), the minimalist extras menu execution on both 1.0 and 1.11 releases, and the latest hit or miss approach to stuff like theater selection/screening schedules/competency of staff/overall audience satisfaction, I get the impression that whoever is calling the shots over at Funimation doesn't care too much about sweating the details (or, at least not for properties as unprofitable as Eva).

That kind of attitude may not bother most people, but it just doesn't sit right with me.
Last edited by BC Baron on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:15 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Hi, I'm an official representative of FUNimation. Fine, we won't license 3.0. See if anyone else gives it anywhere near as good a treatment as we did. No only did we give this thing a very sizable theatrical release for a foreign independent animated film, but we hired as many of the original dub voices as we could. Excuuuuse ME if the hardcore fans prefer subtitles in their theatrical run. Whatever, see if I ever do anything for you again.

-Representative

Hoofbites
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hoofbites » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:45 am

I was surprised that they kept the Japanese credits and intertitles for 2.0, subtitling them when necessary. It'd be awfully nice, however unlikely, if they could do the same on their home releases. Surely an alternate-angle thing can't be that hard to put together. Didn't FUNimation used to have that on most of their DVDs?
"Don't hate the black. Don't hate the white. If you get bitten, just hate the bite."
--Sly Stone

headpower
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby headpower » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:49 am

I rather Funi not wasted time and offer screening of EVA in any of the theaters at all if all they ever going to do is play the bluray and project it on the theater. When i was watching EVA 2.0 in the theater last night, I felt like i was watching some camcorder private film because the contrast is completely wrong because i saw the imported dvd and many sceenes lookes smudge. And the audio clearly wasnt made for theater sectoin at all. You either do it right or dont bother at all. I felt completely ripped off paying 24 bucks for 2 tickets. THe screening felt like the ones you see in university anime club anime viewing section, ppls play the damn movie on their laptop and then put it on projector.
asdasdasd

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:39 am

View Original Postheadpower wrote:You either do it right or dont bother at all.

Choose your words carefully. I think there may be an official representative of FUNimation monitoring this forum, just waiting to pounce on anyone expressing their desire for a quality movie-going experience.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:00 pm

View Original PostHoofbites wrote:I was surprised that they kept the Japanese credits and intertitles for 2.0, subtitling them when necessary. It'd be awfully nice, however unlikely, if they could do the same on their home releases. Surely an alternate-angle thing can't be that hard to put together. Didn't FUNimation used to have that on most of their DVDs?

They used to. Conquerer of Shamballa? That was a great DVD, despite whatever the they did to the picture (I think it was hard telecined) that made it hard to watch on a computer. 5.1 Japanese and English, decent box art, and alternate angles. Why can't you do this anymore Funi? And "Miss Misato, the button"? The fuck is that?

SurferJon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SurferJon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Wait so they aren't showing the dub at all? Just subs? If so, what's the point of going if we already have the movie? :p
I love Eva and Pokemon. :D

kuwisdelu
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby kuwisdelu » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:38 pm

The Indianapolis showing was decent considering it was played off a BD — everything actually worked. The sound could've been better, but it wasn't bad. Considering the problems other places seemed to be having and adjusting my expectations accordingly, I was quite satisfied.

It was my first time seeing 2.0 instead of 2.22, so seeing some of the subtle changes was interesting.

I preferred some of the fansub translations to these ones, though.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:46 pm

View Original Postkuwisdelu wrote:It was my first time seeing 2.0 instead of 2.22, so seeing some of the subtle changes was interesting.

They played a BD of 2.0 but they aren't going to release the original cut? Are you sure it was 2.0? Did Shinji have his rape face when he was attacking Zeruel? How loud was Fate?

kuwisdelu
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby kuwisdelu » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:57 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:They played a BD of 2.0 but they aren't going to release the original cut? Are you sure it was 2.0? Did Shinji have his rape face when he was attacking Zeruel? How loud was Fate?

I think it was. The music didn't seem as loud, and unless I blacked out for it, Shinji didn't run into Kaji at the station.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:51 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:They played a BD of 2.0 but they aren't going to release the original cut? Are you sure it was 2.0?

1.0 in theaters was also played on a BD given to Funimation by Studio Kara or some such thing. Funi's showing the theater version (2.0) of the film before they release the DVD/BD version (2.22)--exact same way Japan released things.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:16 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:1.0 in theaters was also played on a BD given to Funimation by Studio Kara or some such thing. Funi's showing the theater version (2.0) of the film before they release the DVD/BD version (2.22)--exact same way Japan released things.

Wonder if us gaijin filth will ever get actual 35 mm.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:32 am

My screening was nearly flawless. It took them a few minutes to get the sound and video working correctly but they managed. The quality of the film on the big screen was awesome! It makes my bluray download look bad! It was also my first time seeing 2.0 which was interesting as said before, but I was disappointed that it was subbed. I wanted to hear Tiffany and Spike mix it up again while enjoying the pretty lights, but alas I had to read subs~

It was cool seeing 2.0 in theaters tho that is for certain. I look forward to the next two! :gendo_kimura:
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:57 am

My screening was pretty flawless as well. It was a digital projection, probably of come video file of some sort provided to the theater on download by Funimation, but it was higher rez than Blu-ray from what I could tell. The picture was perfect, the subs weren't hard to read (because I usually watch foreign films in their native languages, darn it!), though it wasn't in surround sound and the stereo provided seemed reversed. Over-all, no complaints of the technical presentation.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”