Comic Books!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:35 am

View Original PostRay wrote:^ do you assume Kimura is a horrible human being because he's made his whole career drawing a series of manga about rape demons (Berserk)? These people do. No different from bible-thumping conservatives in the 90s.

The better question is: does he care? If not, more power to him. He should continue making whatever he wants to make. If he cares that some people might condemn him for his art, again, he might want to reevaluate. Quentin Tarantino continues making movies with abundant usage of the 'n' word, and lots of people think he's a racist piece of shit. Does he care? No, he evaluated what he really wanted, and came to the conclusion that he doesn't care and that he doesn't need to change his art. This is the same question these other artists need to ask themselves, and if the artistic integrity is worth being called a rapist.

Notice I haven't offered my personal opinion on the cover. I like sexy things. I don't care if artists make sexy art. They can make alll the sexy art. The only sexualization I see in the cover are the low cut jeans and the exposed midrift. Not a whole lot to go crazy about, but I suppose the idea of this new character is to provide a positive role model to young adult girls, and she's probably not intended to be sexual in nature (like Emma Frost, etc). If this is so, then perhaps they're making a wise decision by reducing the sexuality in order to better reflect who the character is. But again, this is their decision and no one has forced them to. If they wanted to keep the character sexy, they'd choose to live with the backlash.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:49 pm

He should not have to reevaluate it.

If you don't like something YOU DON'T FUCKING BUY IT.
I despise comedies, so I don't watch them, I don't have the right to demand they no longer exist for the people that enjoy them.

And these pieces or human garbage don't have the right to claim a artist is a misogynist and hates women conceptually because he wants to give them big boobs.

He should not have to cease creating what he loves and his fans love in order to stop them from spreading lies and slander.

It's beyond slander, it's pure evil psychotic irrational malice.

They are FACTUALLY wrong, wanting women to be sexy in entertainment IS NOT HATEFUL OR SEXIST.

And yes they have forced them into it.
The feminist don't believe in not buying the individual comic, they refuse to buy the entire series over ONE SINGLE variant cover by a different creator, if that is not the definition of irrational I don't know what is.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Yeah, no matter how triggering something is no one has the right to censor that person.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:18 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:He should not have to reevaluate it.

I never said he has to. Please read what I've written. I'm entirely behind artists standing by their material, even if they get harassed for it. However, I understand when artists choose to change their material in order to avoid backlash. Different strokes for different folks. I don't see the big deal.

And again, is the new black female Iron Man supposed to be a sexualized character? My impression is that she's supposed to be valued for her brains and ingenuity, another nerd like Stark in a bulky metal suit. Is it not possible that this character isn't intended to be sexual? Maybe they chose to change the cover because it was unintentionally sexual when they didn't mean for it to come across that way.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:44 pm

^ I'll respond to this in a PM later so I don't bring down the Forum. Right now there is more pressing and depressing news.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... tor-940668

Steve Dillon, the co-creator of the controversial blasphemous vertigo comic book series preacher has died at 54.

Regardless of what I think of the actual work he was a very talented artist.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Well that sucks. I just read Preacher a few months ago, great stuff.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Wasn't a fan of Dillion's Marvel work which is all I am familiar with but any artist passing is a loss worth grieving over.
:raincloud:

View Original PostSachi wrote:And again, is the new black female Iron Man supposed to be a sexualized character?

My impression is that she's supposed to be valued for her brains and ingenuity,

Again the cover wasn't sexual, that is exactly what kinds of outfit many teens to college girls wear.
The hip sway was more sassy then sexy.

And we can value a character for both sex appeal and brains/ingenuity/characterization.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:02 pm

1.) Martian Manhunter is not on the new JLA, instead we are getting Batman, Black Canary & fucking Lobo alongside the already announced Vixen, Ray, Killer Frost & Atom.

2.) New Electra series... with the awful prude outfit from the tv show.

3.) Crap writer Chelsea Cain deleted her twitter citing bullying making herself a god damn martyr for sjws to rally behind despite her ruining a defining moment in Mockingbird's history & making her into a murderer.

4.) Recently classified Wonder Woman trailer is still not out.

Sigh... fuck my life...

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:27 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Wasn't a fan of Dillion's Marvel work which is all I am familiar with but any artist passing is a loss worth grieving over.
:raincloud:

Again the cover wasn't sexual, that is exactly what kinds of outfit many teens to college girls wear.
The hip sway was more sassy then sexy.

And we can value a character for both sex appeal and brains/ingenuity/characterization.

She wasn't a college girl, though. She's supposed to be 15, and the artist drew her in a way that makes her look a good 5-10 years older than that.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:26 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:and the artist drew her in a way that makes her look a good 5-10 years older than that.

Agree to disagree. She looked like a standard late teen-ish girl to me. The overly long waist was the only iffy thing on the drawing to me and that is just something that goes with his style for all his characters.
It was a plain generic cover, this is the most hollow irrational outrage we have gotten yet. :facepalm:

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:09 pm

All this talk of pointless bootyblastedness over kermic berk covers reminds me of this.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:58 am

Frank Cho is being controversial again.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:36 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Frank Cho is being controversial again.
VERY NSFW  SPOILER: Show

Basically Milo Manera made a piece as a tribute to Cho, for standing up for free speech and against artists censoring themselves out of fear of reprisal. And it references his Spider-Woman 'Butt Pose' cover.

Even better... http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/02/ ... l-of-fame/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:44 pm

http://www.cbr.com/fbi-offers-10k-rewar ... orman-lee/

FBI offers $10,000 dollar reward for information leading to the location of missing comic book artist Norman Lee. Who has been missing for OVER A YEAR after a Scuba Diving accident.

I hope for the best. But it's very unlikely he's still alive at this point.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:57 pm

I picked up the Trade of Monstress
Last edited by Ray on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Yeah, excellent worldbuilding and fantastic art in that book. Impressive stuff.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:08 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Monstress.

Read this over the summer. I thought it was great, it's been a while since I've found a recent comic series that has an original premise, has compelling writing and beautiful artwork. Hopefully the brilliance of the first arc will carry on throughout.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:04 pm

[Edit]
Last edited by Ray on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:24 pm

All art is political, Ray.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:32 pm

[Edit]

I believe that a conservative and a liberal should be able to pick up the same comic book and get the same amount of enjoyment from it regardless of their political point of view.

All this is doing is dividing people making people angry and alienating those that would otherwise by the comic books despite their political point of view.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”