[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:40 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:This rampant prejudice against Muppet and Felt-Americans cannot stand. It will not!

I'm going to steal that Felt-Americans line.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:46 pm

:mayano:
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:46 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:they may be owned by Disney

They're not. They're a separate entity, and have done a lot of TV shows; last I checked, JHC is still responsible for building the Sesame Street Muppets (despite Sesame Workshop now owning the rights of the characters).

They also have no rights to anything Muppets related nowadays. The Kermit stuff in Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas? They have to negotiate with Disney to keep those scenes nowadays. Otherwise, they're free to do whatever they want with the special, because they do owe that (and they have, such as a live action musical that went around for a bit).
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:40 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:They're not.

I'm confused; why bring up Disney? I legitimately thought they were in contract with them the same way they've gobbled up everything else (Marvel, etc.).
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:45 pm

If they had stripped down in Canada at one of the most famous places in the nation, they'd probably at least be cited for something, too. The way this story's being reported has been really unfair.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:58 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I'm confused; why bring up Disney? I legitimately thought they were in contract with them the same way they've gobbled up everything else (Marvel, etc.).

Well Gob, they aren't. Again, it's because they own the Muppets outright--trademark, copyright of the characters, the marketing, everything; Jim Henson himself actually wanted that to happen. The deal happened when Eisner was still around (2004), so I imagine how it was dealt with is all different. The Muppets writers (or at least, the ones that worked for Jim and are still writing for the characters today) and puppeteers are all independent (they don't work outright for Disney), the puppets are actually done in a LA studio called Puppet Heap, and Muppet content nowadays are done by a part of Disney called THE MUPPETS STUDIO.

Here, Wikipedia will give you an idea on what's up. Lot of it is sourced.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:04 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:41 am

Oh, I heard about that earthquake on Mount Kinabalu. For some reason the government has decided to forgo their usual pro-Islamic dogma to become animist and argue that the mountain was 'angered' by people taking off their shirts and whatnot on what is undeniably an arduous trek.

I honestly have no idea where the idea of the 'mountain spirit' came from, it sounds more like Taoist or Shinto imagery than the usual stuff the government spews out. I also didn't realize we'd regressed so far as a culture that we now attribute natural disasters to the wrath of nature spirits.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:52 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/11661312/Belgium-defies-France-with-euro-coin-marking-Napoleon-defeat.html
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Idiot thinks that everyone should just default on their student loans.

Hey, want a better idea? Perhaps a SOLUTION? How about the US just legalize marijuana already, tax the hell out of it, and use the proceeds towards subsidizing higher education so tuition rates aren't fucking retarded? Most pot users tend to be college students anyway, so IT PAYS FOR ITSELF.

Or just cut some of our $650+ BILLION defense budget just a hair year by year and use that money instead?

C'mon, USA. Get your act together you dumbass fucks. And I say this being a citizen.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:02 pm

I could afford to go to my state college for four years plus room, board, and meal plan for less than what it cost friends of mine to go to their private high school for one year. I've found that a lot of people taking out student loans do it so that they can go to the ivies or whatever top prestigious school they want to go to, and I think that attitude comes from ignorance about just what kind of education you can get at a college that doesn't have a fancy name attached to it.

But yes, the idea that everybody should default on their loans is ridiculous.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:49 pm

He explains his (half) reasoning at the end, it's obvious that he's only half serious, it's an opinion piece afterall:

I am sharply aware of the strongest objection to my lapse into default. If everyone acted as I did, chaos would result. The entire structure of American higher education would change.

The collection agencies retained by the Department of Education would be exposed as the greedy vultures that they are. The government would get out of the loan-making and the loan-enforcement business. Congress might even explore a special, universal education tax that would make higher education affordable.

There would be a national shaming of colleges and universities for charging soaring tuition rates that are reaching lunatic levels. The rapacity of American colleges and universities is turning social mobility, the keystone of American freedom, into a commodified farce.

If people groaning under the weight of student loans simply said, “Enough,” then all the pieties about debt that have become absorbed into all the pieties about higher education might be brought into alignment with reality. Instead of guaranteeing loans, the government would have to guarantee a college education. There are a lot of people who could learn to live with that, too.

Clearly, this is all wishful thinking that's purposely not grounded in reality but used to make a point on a soapbox. In reality, defaulting on student loans is really pretty dangerous, they're not like regular loans. You can have your wages docked or your tax returns kept (or both), like pretty much forever, defaulting doesn't make them go away. It's terrible advice but I doubt he's seriously telling everyone (even people who can easily make payments) to just default on their loans.

Besides, everyone knows that anyone who suggests cutting the defense budget will be labelled universally as someone who hates America and freedom. It's political suicide and will be for any foreseeable future.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:05 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I've found that a lot of people taking out student loans do it so that they can go to the ivies or whatever top prestigious school they want to go to, and I think that attitude comes from ignorance about just what kind of education you can get at a college that doesn't have a fancy name attached to it.

True, but there's a few top private schools now (Princeton is the example that comes to mind) that have big enough endowments that they will make sure you graduate without loans. You'll still pay as much as they deem you able to, but, if you can get in, you'll be taken care of.

What's really bad are the schools without that kind of endowment money. A lot of them seem to be charging irresponsible amounts of money and throwing it away on embarrassing stuff like free cable TV, a free ice cream truck, and a concierge in the dorms -- all three of which are examples drawn from a relative's university about five years ago. State schools are doing this kind of thing too.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:32 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:What's really bad are the schools without that kind of endowment money. A lot of them seem to be charging irresponsible amounts of money and throwing it away on embarrassing stuff like free cable TV, a free ice cream truck, and a concierge in the dorms -- all three of which are examples drawn from a relative's university about five years ago. State schools are doing this kind of thing too.
My uni has been doing some pretty stupid things with our tuition money. coughfootballcough. They've decided that it would be a good idea to put televisions in every dorm room of the new dorms complexes. I mean, seriously. What the fuck. Even bought in bulk, that's a few thousand, multi-hundred dollar televisions. I know a few buildings that would greatly benefit from $100000 worth of repair work.

Then again, they are also building a new medical complex, one specifically for heart problems. I suppose that's one benefit of rampant obesity in America.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:38 am

In local news, a cop that takes pool parties way too seriously has resigned. Under the circumstances, the timing, and the statement by his chief, I'm guessing that resignation was waiting for him when he came in to work that day.

No word yet on whether or not his sweet moves affected the decision.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:09 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Clearly, this is all wishful thinking that's purposely not grounded in reality but used to make a point on a soapbox. In reality, defaulting on student loans is really pretty dangerous, they're not like regular loans. You can have your wages docked or your tax returns kept (or both), like pretty much forever, defaulting doesn't make them go away. It's terrible advice but I doubt he's seriously telling everyone (even people who can easily make payments) to just default on their loans.

Yeah. I really hope no one takes him seriously, because this is awful, awful advice. It's better by far to pay off the interest and ignore the principle, as this gives you stellar credit and is usually fairly manageable.

What we really need to do is focus more on helping young people come up with workable plans for their lives. That isn't always possible -- circumstances change, after all -- but as is we basically throw our kids to the wolves with nary a bit of decent career counseling, and that's why this debt problem exists. If people knew what they were gettting into they'd be far less likely to take out loans to begin with.

But then, that assumes success is the goal. Silly of me, I know.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's better by far to pay off the interest and ignore the principle, as this gives you stellar credit and is usually fairly manageable.

This sounds like last-ditch effort advice to me, though. If you're only paying off the interest, you're literally going to be paying off those student loans forever. Hell, that's the first thing I learned in one of the finance management courses I took in high school during my senior year-- never, ever just pay off the interest (if you want that loan to go away any time soon.)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Napoleon tangent split, as that clearly isn't 'news'. Carry on!

@Nuke: yes, but the point isn't to pay it off... it's to manage the debt and establish good credit. Having no debt is much worse for your credit rating than having an amount you can handle... lenders do actually want to make money on you, after all.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”